Old Time Playgrounds......When they were fun

It is sad to pass by a modern playground. Slides that are 6 foot high, swings that are eight feet high. Dull for any child over five years old.
Let’s look at what playground equipment used to be.

The all time favorite ...Merry go round

View attachment 295466

You could get this sucker going a million miles an hour.
If you didn’t hold on, you went flying off

They were a blast... but somedays it seemed no kid on the playground had an entirely intact body.

A right of passage

I hardly knew a kid that used playground equipment in the manner they were intended.

Great afternoons dotted with stark terror here and there.
That was the point......death defying fun
Could you do more than the other kids?

I missed my date with death more times than I can count: Blowing up stuff with black powder and iron pipe, burning things down, vandalizing things, shooting at things that shouldn't be shot at, flying a kite over a busy freeway that almost cost a finger, taking a bulldozer for a joyride, stealing a car, mixing bleach with drain clear...

Kids are so stupid.

It is sad to pass by a modern playground. Slides that are 6 foot high, swings that are eight feet high. Dull for any child over five years old.

View attachment 295466

They were a blast... but somedays it seemed no kid on the playground had an entirely intact body.

A right of passage

I hardly knew a kid that used playground equipment in the manner they were intended.

I missed my date with death more times than I can count: Blowing up stuff with black powder and iron pipe, burning things down, vandalizing things, shooting at things that shouldn't be shot at, flying a kite over a busy freeway that almost cost a finger, taking a bulldozer for a joyride, stealing a car, mixing bleach with drain clear...

Kids are so stupid.
I agree

It is a wonder we reached adulthood. Looking back I say......I could have been killed this time, I could have been killed that time

Kids don’t care

I once fell off a seesaw and landed on my head. I know that explains a lot about my posts

View attachment 295466

A right of passage

Kids are so stupid.

One time I'll still be telling anybody that'll listen is the Tire Swing Terror.

We were about 9 or 10 and I don't know who thought this crap up for our afternoon festivities, but I hope he got some rickity bone disease or something. Someone had a big ole tire swing in a huge ole tree. We started winding kids up instead of pushing them.

Many tears, screeches and piddled pants later, no one had died yet... and it was my turn.

I would rather have eaten 47 worms but my kid pride said I had to do it.

I wrapped my jello like arms and legs around anything I could, gritted my teeth and prepared for launch.

And launch I did in a spectacular way. I held on like a hero for about 147 hours and each second I thought... ah ima die ima die ima die and my ratfink brother will get my room.

When I was on the ground again, I retched for about 16 days and said bugger this for a lark, I'm outta here.

Or something like that.

Last edited:

A right of passage

Kids are so stupid.
I agree

It is a wonder we reached adulthood. Looking back I say......I could have been killed this time, I could have been killed that time

Kids don’t care

They don't believe.

Today’s playground equipment
So much fun!

upload_2019-12-18_22-13-45.jpeg

Endorsed by insurance companies

Today’s thrill a minute playgrounds

upload_2019-12-19_7-58-46.jpeg

Minutes of fun, fun, fun

These were popular in the 80s. My kids used to love them

upload_2019-12-19_9-24-18.jpeg

But I think the pressure treated wood was treated with arsenic and kids got splinters

They were all torn down

Forum List

Back