🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Ole Miss Orders State Flag Removed

WTG Ole Miss

Interim Chancellor Morris Stocks:
"As Mississippi's flagship university, we have a deep love and respect for our state. Because the flag remains Mississippi's official banner, this was a hard decision. I understand the flag represents tradition and honor to some. But to others, the flag means that some members of the Ole Miss family are not welcomed or valued."

University Of Mississippi Orders State Flag Removed
October 26, 2015
Alexandra Starr
State of Mississippi should withhold ALL state funding for EVERY university/college in the state that refuses to fly the state flag. The state was around 36% black when the entire state voted on the flag and it won with overwhelming majority. GET THE FUCK OVER IT.
More ignorance and stupidity from the right.

WTG Ole Miss

Interim Chancellor Morris Stocks:
"As Mississippi's flagship university, we have a deep love and respect for our state. Because the flag remains Mississippi's official banner, this was a hard decision. I understand the flag represents tradition and honor to some. But to others, the flag means that some members of the Ole Miss family are not welcomed or valued."

University Of Mississippi Orders State Flag Removed
October 26, 2015
Alexandra Starr
A meaningless act...

It's a State school, simple fix, fire the SOB.

Try to get real...
Ole Miss is one of the land grant schools created by the Morrill Act and signed into law by Abraham Lincoln...

hmmm, I hadn't thought about that before, just think, you can draw a direct line between Abraham Lincoln and Mississippi's higher education. If you went to school at Ole Miss - thank Abe.

Try to get real...
Ole Miss is one of the land grant schools created by the Morrill Act and signed into law by Abraham Lincoln...

hmmm, I hadn't thought about that before, just think, you can draw a direct line between Abraham Lincoln and Mississippi's higher education. If you went to school at Ole Miss - thank Abe.

Right, where did congress get the authority to grant land within a State?

That said, the school was established by the MS State legislature, not the feds. My underline.

The University began as The Agricultural and Mechanical College of the State of Mississippi (or Mississippi A&M), one of the national land-grant colleges established after Congress passed the Morrill Act in 1862. It was created by the Mississippi Legislature on February 28, 1878, to fulfill the mission of offering training in "agriculture, horticulture and the mechanical arts . . . without excluding other scientific and classical studies, including military tactics." The university received its first students in the fall of 1880 in the presidency of General Stephen D. Lee.

In 1887 Congress passed the Hatch Act, which provided for the establishment of the Agricultural Experiment Station in 1888. The Cooperative Extension Service was established in 1914 by the Smith-Lever Act. The university has since had its mission expanded and redefined by the Legislature. In 1932, the Legislature renamed the university as Mississippi State College.

In 1958 the Legislature renamed the university as Mississippi State University in recognition of its academic development and addition of graduate programs. The Graduate School had been organized (1936), doctoral degree programs had begun (1951), the School of Forest Resources had been established (1954), and the College of Arts and Sciences had replaced the General Science School (1956).

Mississippi State University - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So it is a State run school and most likely the Governor can fire the "interim chancellor".

Try to get real...

That said, the school was established by the MS State legislature, not the feds. My underline.

The University began as The Agricultural and Mechanical College of the State of Mississippi (or Mississippi A&M), one of the national land-grant colleges established after Congress passed the Morrill Act in 1862. It was created by the Mississippi Legislature on February 28, 1878, to fulfill the mission of offering training in "agriculture, horticulture and the mechanical arts . . . without excluding other scientific and classical studies, including military tactics." The university received its first students in the fall of 1880 in the presidency of General Stephen D. Lee.

In 1887 Congress passed the Hatch Act, which provided for the establishment of the Agricultural Experiment Station in 1888. The Cooperative Extension Service was established in 1914 by the Smith-Lever Act. The university has since had its mission expanded and redefined by the Legislature. In 1932, the Legislature renamed the university as Mississippi State College.

In 1958 the Legislature renamed the university as Mississippi State University in recognition of its academic development and addition of graduate programs. The Graduate School had been organized (1936), doctoral degree programs had begun (1951), the School of Forest Resources had been established (1954), and the College of Arts and Sciences had replaced the General Science School (1956).

So it is a State run school and most likely the Governor can fire the "interim chancellor".

Mississippi State and Ole Miss are two different schools.

Try to get real...

OOPS, my bad, still doesn't negate my original point that they could just fire the SOB. Ya think that might send a pretty solid message to his successors?

Try to get real...

OOPS, my bad, still doesn't negate my original point that they could just fire the SOB. Ya think that might send a pretty solid message to his successors?

I doubt there is any legal recourse. Don't you imagine this person knows whether their action could get them fired? I mean, it is Mississippi but they're not complete imbeciles.

I think it's moronic (and ironic) that they are the Rebels but they banned the Rebel flag.

Try to get real...

Try to get real...

Yep!
I conflated the two schools.

Try to get real...

I doubt there is any legal recourse. Don't you imagine this person knows whether their action could get them fired? I mean, it is Mississippi but they're not complete imbeciles.

I think it's moronic (and ironic) that they are the Rebels but they banned the Rebel flag.

Except the law requires the US and State flags be flown at schools.

One section of Mississippi law makes flying the state flag optional, not mandatory: “The state flag may be displayed from all public buildings from sunrise to sunset; however, the state flag may be displayed from all public buildings 24 hours a day if properly illuminated.”

A separate section of law says: “The flag of the State of Mississippi and the flag of the United States shall be displayed in close proximity to the school building at all times during the hours of daylight when the school is in session when the weather will permit without damage to the flag.” This section says the school board is responsible for providing the flags, but there’s no penalty if the flags aren’t flown.

Analysis: Mississippi flag folded at some public buildings - Mississippi Business Journal

Sounds like the legislature should close some loopholes.

Good for them!
You like nazism, eh?
And you like to exhibit your ignorance of the law.

The 'confederate' symbol on the state's flag constitutes government speech; when government edits or restricts such speech it in no way violates the First Amendment. (See Walker v. Texas Division, Sons of Confederate Veterans)

The University of Mississippi is a state college, part of state government, and at liberty to remove the flag, an action in no way 'hostile' to 'free speech.'

Consequently, your reference to 'Nazism' is as ridiculous as it is wrong.
Another MLK High School honor student.

The confederates were traitors to our country the very definition of treason.

No. Treason is trying to overthrow the government. The CSA was not trying to overthrow the US Government. They declared independence from it. The opening preamble in our very own Declaration of Independence says: When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

They took up arms against the Us and killed 100,000s of soldiers . The definition of treason.

They had representation and the vote , they weren't oppressed .

The confederate leaders should've been hung in the town square .

Good for Ole Miss. At some point this nefarious history of the south needs to go missing for good. Put it all in a museum so kids can go look at it and then forget it. The war ended 150 years ago, let it go already.

I am kind of on the fence with this issue. I see the point of view from both sides and I don't know that there can ever be a compromise that is acceptable. I think this is an issue where people get caught up in their own viewpoint so much that they forget there is an opposing view that is equally passionate.

I am a Civil War buff. I have two ancestors who are buried in Confederate cemeteries, who I am very proud of. They didn't own slaves and weren't fighting for slavery.
i know you don't want to believe it, but every single confederate soldier, every last traitor, was fighting for slavery

Forum List

Back