OMG, Now They Blather About "Cognitive Privilege"!

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
This is just insane, of course the more intelligent have advantages, but they dont have to worry about any of that, apparently

Op-ed: Intelligence is an example of 'cognitive privilege' - The College Fix

One’s intelligence isn’t something that’s earned. Instead, it’s received at birth and is a form of privilege.

That’s essentially the argument a University of Iowa columnist makes in a recent op-ed published in The Daily Iowan. In his student newspaper column, Dan Williams argues that understanding the concept of privilege is crucial to furthering social justice.

He writes “it is undeniable that privilege itself is a reality.”

“Any of us could have been born the unluckiest person on the planet, which, by definition, picks out precisely one person. But we all have the privilege of not being that person. We are all privileged by comparison,” Williams says.

He adds privilege extends well past the popular concept of “white privilege” and even encompasses the intelligence an individual possesses.​

This is just insane, of course the more intelligent have advantages, but they dont have to worry about any of that, apparently

One’s intelligence isn’t something that’s earned. Instead, it’s received at birth and is a form of privilege.

That’s essentially the argument a University of Iowa columnist makes in a recent op-ed published in The Daily Iowan. In his student newspaper column, Dan Williams argues that understanding the concept of privilege is crucial to furthering social justice.

“Any of us could have been born the unluckiest person on the planet, which, by definition, picks out precisely one person. But we all have the privilege of not being that person. We are all privileged by comparison,” Williams says.

He adds privilege extends well past the popular concept of “white privilege” and even encompasses the intelligence an individual possesses.​

LOL I posted this one 1 minute before you did bhahhah

Only mine is ---->Not being stupid is Cognitive privilege now

There are a multitude of very unlucky people out there

damn-----I wish I had THUNKED that one up-------with my semi privileged brain. There are other
possible congenital privileges for which I have always LONGED---------large luminous eyes and
eternally plump female "attributes" -------reasonable stature-----extreme physical grace------and
at least something better than a GRATING singing voice

LOL I posted this one 1 minute before you did bhahhah

Only mine is ---->Not being stupid is Cognitive privilege now
This thread's better

It sounds suspiciously like he's taking the piss out of the 'White Privilege' concept.

There are a multitude of very unlucky people out there

damn-----I wish I had THUNKED that one up-------with my semi privileged brain. There are other
possible congenital privileges for which I have always LONGED---------large luminous eyes and
eternally plump female "attributes" -------reasonable stature-----extreme physical grace------and
at least something better than a GRATING singing voice
You damn well know people like you and I are privileged to be so smert...

How is this privilege removed and the playing field leveled?

Harrison Bergeron is less and less fantasy every day.

This kind of makes an odd sort of sense. The idea of cognitive privilege is right at home with participation trophies.

Think of all the unfair privileges that people have, there is a talent privilege, a beauty privilege, height privilege, body type privilege.

Way to swallow the intentional misrepresentation of the intent of a STUDENT editorial fed to you by a website whose sole purpose is to convince idiot conservatives (plus Mac) that young educated people are the real idiots.

There is already a strong move to level the cognitive playing field. For those of us who have kids, how many times have you heard "All kids are gifted, all kids are talented". Total bullshit of course being pushed by a Liberal Government Education program.

Forum List

Back