On the subject of masks

You’re wrong. My kids have to wear them while playing basketball. It’s horrible. Hockey is 40 second shifts. Basketball you run up and down in a stuffy middle school gym. Kids aren’t in danger from COVID so why are we torturing them?

My daughter is 10. She and her entire class got it, while wearing masks at school, and were over it in a day. They quit wearing them after that.

But the main point of this OP is the ridiculous idea that wearing a mask is somehow dangerous for the wearer.
Our bodies evolved to eject the waste bacteria (hazmat) that we naturally produce to a safe distance. When we exhale, our hazmat is ejected far enough away from ourselves that we don't breathe it back in. It is mother nature's way of socially distancing us from ourselves. It is foolish to interfere with mother nature's way when it is not necessary.

I am not starting a debate on whether masks work. They seem to work if you have covid and don't want to spread it to others.
Of course how well masks work is important when considering Risk vs. Benefit. As some have already point out, most mask packages have a disclaimer that the mask does not prevent a person from getting a virus. Okay, they are not 100% protection and the mask manufacturers don't want to be sued.

Let's for the moment accept that masks do work in some situations to prevent covid being spread to other's at some percentage rate. Is this true for all situations? I doubt it. I doubt the masks do a damn thing for a bunch of hockey players skating around an ice rink because they are constantly on the move and don't spend much time in close to any one person.

Of course how well masks work is important when considering Risk vs. Benefit. As some have already point out, most mask packages have a disclaimer that the mask does not prevent a person from getting a virus. Okay, they are not 100% protection and the mask manufacturers don't want to be sued.

Let's for the moment accept that masks do work in some situations to prevent covid being spread to other's at some percentage rate. Is this true for all situations? I doubt it. I doubt the masks do a damn thing for a bunch of hockey players skating around an ice rink because they are constantly on the move and don't spend much time in close to any one person.
6wtr3oxv19591.jpg

I am not starting a debate on whether masks work. They seem to work if you have covid and don't want to spread it to others.

But the main point of this OP is the ridiculous idea that wearing a mask is somehow dangerous for the wearer.

The Canadian Women's hockey team won their match 6-1 while wearing KN94 masks. So complaints about wearing a mask in the grocery store being a health hazard are nonsense.

Those masks were not designed for sports use.....

Generally, yes.

However, my 80 year-old mother - who is boosted and has followed all the COVID protocols - recently over-heated from wearing her mask and vomited in a grocery store. I saw her struggling with it when I went shopping with her.

I have little patience for the alt-right snowflakes who don’t want to wear masks because freedumb. But there can be costs for some people.

Nobody cares about your "lack of patience". Just wear your own damn mask and butt out about the choices others make.

The Canadian Women's hockey team won their match 6-1 while wearing KN94 masks. So complaints about wearing a mask in the grocery store being a health hazard are nonsense.
You're not starting a debate; just stating your opinions as a factual premise.

Incorrect.
When you are exercising, you breath in and out so much air, that the buffer space in the mask is negligible.
The hocky player is over whelming the mask.
But when you go to the grocery store, the makes contains almost exactly the amount you inhale and exhale.
So that mean you are not getting any fresh air at all, but just breathing in and out the same air over and over again, while it slowly reduces O2 content, while increasing CO2 content.

You can tell because your body recognized the CO2 build up and releases panic hormones.
You feel like you are drowning.

The main point about masks is that they are only useful if you are going "full quarantine".
We can easily tell we did NOT go with full quarantine for covid, like we did for Ebola, because if we had, it would have been over in about 1 month.

So then if we are not going full quarantine, why would anyone want to wear a mask at all?
Sure a mask can slow down infection spread, but once you decide to not go full quarantine, then you want infection spread, as quickly as possible. They you achiever herd immunity in about a month, and it is then totally over with.

Apparently we are determined to prevent herd immunity, by conserving easy hosts, so that the epidemic can never end.
That is very foolish, as it ensures the highest possible death total, by giving it the maximum time to spread.

Incorrect.
When you are exercising, you breath in and out so much air, that the buffer space in the mask is negligible.
But when you go to the grocery store, the makes contains almost exactly the amount you inhale and exhale.
So that mean you are not getting any fresh air at all, but just breathing in and out the same air over and over again, while it slowly reduces O2 content, while increasing CO2 content.

You can tell because your body recognized the CO2 build up and releases panic hormones.

So which category fits the surgeon who wears a mask for 5 or 6 hours in surgery?

Incorrect.

Nope

Never felt like I was drowning when I was wearing a mask

I suspect that is claustrophobia

So which category fits the surgeon who wears a mask for 5 or 6 hours in surgery?

The surgical mask has so many air gaps usually it doesn't signify. It was never intended to mitigate for viruses. Surgical masks only stop large "splatters"--like snot--from getting into open wounds. In surgery. Literally.

We lost our minds over masks during Covid just as in so many other things. I watched people go apesh1t over masks and all I could think about what Dustin Hoffman working with viruses in the CDC in "Outbreak", dressed like an astronaut. I'm thinking, THAT is mitigating for a virus. Not wearing some piece of cotton your Aunt Linda sewed from leftover curtain material.

We were stupid. So stupid.

The surgical mask has so many air gaps usually it doesn't signify. It was never intended to mitigate for viruses. Surgical masks only stop large "splatters"--like snot--from getting into open wounds. In surgery. Literally.

We lost our minds over masks during Covid just as in so many other things. I watched people go apesh1t over masks and all I could think about what Dustin Hoffman working with viruses in the CDC in "Outbreak", dressed like an astronaut. I'm thinking, THAT is mitigating for a virus. Not wearing some piece of cotton your Aunt Linda sewed from leftover curtain material.

We were stupid. So stupid.
I’m not STOOPID

The doctors agree kids should not wear masks or social distance.
In most of the world, like China, Japan, Korea, etc., they never closed the schools.
There was never any reason to.
So move to North Korea

Forum List

Back