On Word Choice

usmbguest5318

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2017
D.C.
This editorial/thread isn't about the size of one's vocabulary. Rather, it is about the adroitness with which people use the vocabulary they have. And, FWIW, this thread was inspired by @monkrule's thread requesting that members share what overused words most annoy them to see. (There are several threads on that or similar topics.)

Occasionally, members here ridicule my use of what some might call "ten dollar words." Some of those individuals have even posited that I do so to, as they put it "appear smart." Well, let me be crystalline: they could not be more wrong. I use "$10 words" because (1) they are part of my working vocabulary/vernacular, (2) they usually have one, or at most two denotations and connotations, and, most importantly in a practical sense, (3) because I'm lazy.

I suspect the first two reasons above are readily understood by most folks. The third, however, may come as a surprise. What's lazy about my word choice is that I prefer to use one word that means only and precisely the idea I intend to express rather than use a collection of words to do the same thing. The laziness comes into play when, as a writer, I evaluate the extent of comprehensiveness I aim to imbue into a piece of prose and how much time effort I want to use clarifying less precise terms. In short, the more possible meanings that readers can plausibly infer because of one's writing a "common" word rather than a "$10 word" that has only one applicable denotation and connotation, fewer be the overall quantity of words one must use to communicate one's ideas, particularly their nuances. (I frequently use possessives for the same reason: doing so helps drive one to write in the markedly clearer and more efficient active voice.)

To see what I mean, consider the following group of words: perspicacious, shrewd, astute, and sagacious. Each of those words has roughly the same denotation; however, looking at the synonym guide in Merriam-Webster, one sees that each has a different connotation, which is also part of the word's meaning. One will observe too that "keen" is synonymous with "perspicacious," but "keen" have several denotations and none of them include the connotation perspicacious has. Thus, writing "perspicacious" tells readers more about what the writer intends/thinks about the thing s/he describes as "perspicacious" than does writing "keen," and it does so with one word rather than several. Of course, sometimes a writer has no intent, or s/he has no basis for, say "perspicacious's" connotation, in which case, "keen" is the better word to use for "keen" does not convey more than the writer had in mind.

Now, this thread, as I wrote, isn't about how vast be one's vocabulary because one can communicate exactly the same ideas without ever using "SAT-vocabulary." It just takes more words to do, at least if among one's communicative objectives be comprehensiveness. By no means, of course, is everyone so disposed every time then pen a thought, and that too is a factor in word choice. At the end of the day, in all instances, what words one chooses don't matter. What matters is that one communicate as much meaning as possible, yet not more meaning than one intends.

Your posts are lamer than watching a three legged dog trying to take a piss on a frozen pond. You are not any "intellectual foe" even though you desperately wish that you were. I have posted quite a few challenges to you.... but yet you have bailed.........you talk big, perform "small".........you are an intellectual lightweight.

They are called 29 cent words around here..Some people are strong, others weak on word choices....I used to read the dictionary, encyclopedias and thesaurus to learn new words so I could insult someone and they'd never know it, but now I am a senior many words have faded and died from not using them, thank goodness for the internet now, more words than you can shake a stick at...

This editorial/thread isn't about the size of one's vocabulary. Rather, it is about the adroitness with which people use the vocabulary they have. And, FWIW, this thread was inspired by @monkrule's thread requesting that members share what overused words most annoy them to see. (There are several threads on that or similar topics.)

Occasionally, members here ridicule my use of what some might call "ten dollar words." Some of those individuals have even posited that I do so to, as they put it "appear smart." Well, let me be crystalline: they could not be more wrong. I use "$10 words" because (1) they are part of my working vocabulary/vernacular, (2) they usually have one, or at most two denotations and connotations, and, most importantly in a practical sense, (3) because I'm lazy.

I suspect the first two reasons above are readily understood by most folks. The third, however, may come as a surprise. What's lazy about my word choice is that I prefer to use one word that means only and precisely the idea I intend to express rather than use a collection of words to do the same thing. The laziness comes into play when, as a writer, I evaluate the extent of comprehensiveness I aim to imbue into a piece of prose and how much time effort I want to use clarifying less precise terms. In short, the more possible meanings that readers can plausibly infer because of one's writing a "common" word rather than a "$10 word" that has only one applicable denotation and connotation, fewer be the overall quantity of words one must use to communicate one's ideas, particularly their nuances. (I frequently use possessives for the same reason: doing so helps drive one to write in the markedly clearer and more efficient active voice.)

To see what I mean, consider the following group of words: perspicacious, shrewd, astute, and sagacious. Each of those words has roughly the same denotation; however, looking at the synonym guide in Merriam-Webster, one sees that each has a different connotation, which is also part of the word's meaning. One will observe too that "keen" is synonymous with "perspicacious," but "keen" have several denotations and none of them include the connotation perspicacious has. Thus, writing "perspicacious" tells readers more about what the writer intends/thinks about the thing s/he describes as "perspicacious" than does writing "keen," and it does so with one word rather than several. Of course, sometimes a writer has no intent, or s/he has no basis for, say "perspicacious's" connotation, in which case, "keen" is the better word to use for "keen" does not convey more than the writer had in mind.

Now, this thread, as I wrote, isn't about how vast be one's vocabulary because one can communicate exactly the same ideas without ever using "SAT-vocabulary." It just takes more words to do, at least if among one's communicative objectives be comprehensiveness. By no means, of course, is everyone so disposed every time then pen a thought, and that too is a factor in word choice. At the end of the day, in all instances, what words one chooses don't matter. What matters is that one communicate as much meaning as possible, yet not more meaning than one intends.
I assume you are familiar with Occam's razor?

I find the fewest number of assumptions with regard to word choice on a forum like this is that those who post here have little regard for their audience and in fact, don't really care if those they are arguing with will understand their meaning. In truth, many posts and replies are often obscure purposefully for the 'gotcha' moment.

In short, this isn't a forum dedicated to clear communication of ideas, logic, and meaningful back and forth.

I find the fewest number of assumptions with regard to word choice on a forum like this is that those who post here have little regard for their audience and in fact, don't really care if those they are arguing with will understand their meaning. In truth, many posts and replies are often obscure purposefully for the 'gotcha' moment.

In short, this isn't a forum dedicated to clear communication of ideas, logic, and meaningful back and forth.

I am. Quite well, in fact. Part of my familiarity includes knowing that often enough, individuals will invoke that razor in the absence of their having full and clear comprehension of a topic, or when they have nothing meritorious to say. Brevity is the soul of wit, but not of wisdom.

Well, that could be. I don't know because I have no idea what this forum's founders had in mind. I can say that the "powers that be" here don't do much to make USMB a place where are enforced constraints that facilitate the subforums', even the ones that ostensibly purport to be, being places of "clear communication of ideas, logic, and meaningful back and forth."

In truth, many posts and replies are often obscure purposefully for the 'gotcha' moment.

Sadly, that seems to be so; the dearth of observed/expressed discursive integrity here has not escaped my notice. Indeed, the preponderance of conversational contrivance found here simultaneously galls, bores and dismays me.

Far too many people see discussions, especially political ones, as matters to be won and lost, rather than as a vehicle for positive change. Discussion that commences with the notion of "getting somewhere" has the potential to "raise all ships." Discussion predicated on, among others, a goal of winning (persuading) doesn't "raise all ships," nor does even have that as a goal. The outcome of persuasion is that the convinced become passengers on the ship of the persuader; that can work out well or horribly, depending on the actual soundness of that ship, which is something that may not be apparent immediately.

Aside:
Another observation about the discussion here is that much of it seems to be premised on the notion that everything and anything is debatable. That just isn't so. All things that aren't well known/understood are debatable; however, one's not knowing XYZ does not mean that XYZ is thus debatable.

Bright people debate things because those topics aren't fully understood and in the course of the debate they may gain or give an insight that allows someone to expand the scope of what is understood about the topic. In so doing, they build on what already exists, rather than tearing it down.​

Last edited:
Your statement is perfect: honest, concise, and especially, kind...

This place is mostly a series of verbal food fights.

Last edited:

I am. Quite well, in fact. Part of my familiarity includes knowing that often enough, individuals will invoke that razor in the absence of their having full and clear comprehension of a topic, or when they have nothing meritorious to say. Brevity is the soul of wit, but not of wisdom.
Or, the simplest answer really IS the correct one.

Well, that could be. I don't know because I have no idea what this forum's founders had in mind. I can say that the "powers that be" here don't do much to make USMB a place where are enforced constraints that facilitate the subforums', even the ones that ostensibly purport to be, being places of "clear communication of ideas, logic, and meaningful back and forth."
It does not really matter what the founders of this forum wished. Dealing with the reality of what the forum truly has become is all that really matters. I'm under the impression, perhaps wrongly, that the forum 'powers that be' have their hands full just babysitting the unruly that inhabit this place.

In truth, many posts and replies are often obscure purposefully for the 'gotcha' moment.

Sadly, that seems to be so; the dearth of observed/expressed discursive integrity here has not escaped my notice. Indeed, the preponderance of conversational contrivance found here simultaneously galls, bores and dismays me.

Far too many people see discussions, especially political ones, as matters to be won and lost, rather than as a vehicle for positive change. Discussion that commences with the notion of "getting somewhere" has the potential to "raise all ships." Discussion predicated on, among others, a goal of winning (persuading) doesn't "raise all ships," nor does even have that as a goal. The outcome of persuasion is that the convinced become passengers on the ship of the persuader; that can work out well or horribly, depending on the actual soundness of that ship, which is something that may not be apparent immediately.
I'm rather surprised by this naivete from you. When the conversations hold such weight as to the spending of trillions of dollars, the lives of soldiers both foreign and domestic, and the very well-being of the nation as a whole, it absolutely becomes a win-at-all-costs discussion. Perhaps not here, as this forum is as monkrule states, "A verbal food fight". If getting somewhere were actually the goal, then there would be a significant amount of compromise on both sides in an effort to actually 'raise all boats'.

Aside:
Another observation about the discussion here is that much of it seems to be premised on the notion that everything and anything is debatable. That just isn't so. All things that aren't well known/understood are debatable; however, one's not knowing XYZ does not mean that XYZ is thus debatable.

Bright people debate things because those topics aren't fully understood and in the course of the debate they may gain or give an insight that allows someone to expand the scope of what is understood about the topic. In so doing, they build on what already exists, rather than tearing it down.​
Okay, given that truth anymore is highly subjective, give us an example of a political issue that is so well known that it is not debateable.

Forum List

Back