one nation, under god

Nope. I freely admit when I exaggerate. But this happens to be a subject about which I am especially passionate. I am concerned and angry that there is a narrow minded and intolerant minority in this country that would deny others the right to have what offends that minority but which takes no rights of any kind away from that minority. And denying people the ability to recite the Pledge of Allegiance is just one more example of that.

We won't lose our American exceptionism by military defeat from some outside source or via revolution within this country. We will lose it by just accepting the loss of our freedoms, drip by drop, chip by chip.

so you're okay with a narrow minded and intolerant majority, as long as you're in it.

:thup:

I am okay with a free people having their unalienable rights secured and then forming whatever society they wish to have. That requires social contract which is established democratically via majority vote. Because nobody's unalienable rights are involved, so long as the majority wishes to have 'under God' in the official Pledge, that is what should be in the official Pledge. At the same time no local school board or community is required to order a recitation of th Pledge in classroom, and also every school or ewery community can have whatever statement they wish to have instead or no statement at all so long as nobody's unalienable rights are violated.

But when nobody's unalienable rights are violated, no single individual or small group should be able to make the rules. Express their opinions yes. Petition for change, yes. But dictate to the majority what they MUST do? No. When they can, that does violate our unalienable right to form the sort of society we wish to have.

Again, when the majority wants 'under God' out of the Pledge it will be gone. It is as simple as that.

i doubt you could define unalienable if i gave you a week to do it

so you're okay with a narrow minded and intolerant majority, as long as you're in it.

:thup:

I am okay with a free people having their unalienable rights secured and then forming whatever society they wish to have. That requires social contract which is established democratically via majority vote. Because nobody's unalienable rights are involved, so long as the majority wishes to have 'under God' in the official Pledge, that is what should be in the official Pledge. At the same time no local school board or community is required to order a recitation of th Pledge in classroom, and also every school or ewery community can have whatever statement they wish to have instead or no statement at all so long as nobody's unalienable rights are violated.

But when nobody's unalienable rights are violated, no single individual or small group should be able to make the rules. Express their opinions yes. Petition for change, yes. But dictate to the majority what they MUST do? No. When they can, that does violate our unalienable right to form the sort of society we wish to have.

Again, when the majority wants 'under God' out of the Pledge it will be gone. It is as simple as that.

i doubt you could define unalienable if i gave you a week to do it

Doubt away. I assure you that I not only can define it, but I can competently debate anybody on unalienable rights.

If they take out the phrase, no one is going to be punished for saying it anyway, but we SHOULD agree, in the spirit of Unity, to officially remove the phrase so that ALL citizens are compelled to Pledge Allegiance in good conscience without controversy...

ACTON (CBS) – The Pledge of Allegiance is becoming a sore subject in the Acton-Boxborough school district, all because of the words “under God.”

“Atheists and Humanists do not accept the notion of God,” says attorney David Niose.

An Acton family, who is atheist and chooses to remain anonymous, is suing the school district claiming they are discriminating against their children during the pledge. They want the words “under God” taken out

Acton Family Wants “Under God” Removed From Pledge Of Allegiance « CBS Boston

thoughts?

Not exactly an accommadating, neighborly type, heh?

Strikes me as the majority must suffer so I get my 2 bits of fame. Either that or it is just a plain ole hateful one.

the courts have ruled that burning the flag is protected speech; i'm not twisting anything.
I say SEEKING liberty and justice rather than WITH; no one has ever "punished" me. The Acton family is taking up Court time and taxpayer money to foist their BELIEFS on others. The children can omit the words and it probably would not have been noticed; THEY are putting their children in an awkward position.

That's true... They could end up ostracized even more. The kids could have stood and recited without the phrase while others would have never noticed... Could be the whole thing was precipitated when the kids came home from school and expressed to their parents how awkward it was for them and then, when they eventually chose not to Pledge every day, other kids started making fun of them, etc...

The bottom line for me is, I just don't see any reason for keeping it especially considering there are Citizens who won't Pledge Allegiance under those terms.

Actually I envision something along the lines of one of the Kids at home practicing saying the pledge and the parents hearing them and going off about it. But we'll probably never really know......

ACTON (CBS) – The Pledge of Allegiance is becoming a sore subject in the Acton-Boxborough school district, all because of the words “under God.”

“Atheists and Humanists do not accept the notion of God,” says attorney David Niose.

An Acton family, who is atheist and chooses to remain anonymous, is suing the school district claiming they are discriminating against their children during the pledge. They want the words “under God” taken out

thoughts?

Strikes me as the majority must suffer so I get my 2 bits of fame. Either that or it is just a plain ole hateful one.

yeah, there's no way they could be sincere.

they're atheists, for christ's sake

:eusa_whistle:

thoughts?

they're atheists, for christ's sake

Well maybe sincerely, incredulous, sad and without any hope.

thoughts?

Yeah, it could be an over zealous activist type parent or it could be some extremely conscientious kids...or both. Still, they are citizens (children) who we should want to Pledge Allegiance in good conscience...

thoughts?

they're atheists, for Christ's sake

:rofl: :clap2:

they're atheists, for Christ's sake

:rofl: :clap2:

Rather self centered ones who like so many self centered ones do not care who they step on as long as they get their way.

Forum List

Back