Openly gay Republican seeks to make history in congressional race

1. “If you’re involved in the gay and lesbian lifestyle, it’s bondage. It is personal bondage, personal despair and personal enslavement.” ~ Michele Bachmann (New Civil Rights Movement)

2. “It isn’t that some gay will get some rights. It’s that everyone else in our state will lose rights. For instance, parents will lose the right to protect and direct the upbringing of their children. Because our K-12 public school system, of which ninety per cent of all youth are in the public school system, they will be required to learn that homosexuality is normal, equal and perhaps you should try it. And that will occur immediately, that all schools will begin teaching homosexuality.” ~ Michele Bachmann (New Civil Rights Movement)

3. “If the Supreme Court says that you have the right to consensual sex within your home, then you have the right to bigamy, you have the right to polygamy, you have the right to incest, you have the right to adultery. You have the right to anything. Does that undermine the fabric of our society? I would argue yes, it does. ” ~ Rick Santorum. (New Civil Rights Movement)

4.“”If we cannot have moral feelings against homosexuality, can we have it against murder? Can we have it against other things? I don’t apologize for the things I raise. … I’m surprised you aren’t persuaded.” ~ Supreme Court Justice Scalia during Princeton University Appearance — 2012 (ABC News)

5. “Every society in the history of man has upheld the institution of marriage as a bond between a man and a woman. Why? Because society is based on one thing: that society is based on the future of the society. And that’s what? Children. Monogamous relationships. In every society, the definition of marriage has not ever to my knowledge included homosexuality. That’s not to pick on homosexuality. It’s not, you know, man on child, man on dog, or whatever the case may be. It is one thing. And when you destroy that you have a dramatic impact on the quality.” ~ Rick Santorum. (New Civil Rights Movement)

6. “I‘m not ashamed to admit that I’m a Christian, but you don’t need to be in the pew in the country every Sunday to know that there’s something wrong with this country when gays can openly serve in the military but our kids can;t openly celebrate Christmas or pray in school.” ~ Texas Governor Rick Perry (HuffPo)

7. “This decision is one that is profound because the Supreme Court not only attacked our Constitution today, they not only attacked the equal protection rights of every citizen under our Constitution, they attacked something that they have no jurisdiction over whatsoever, the foundational unit of our society, which is marriage,” Bachmann said in response to the Supreme Court striking DOMA down.(Huff Po)

8. ““You are losing freedom in this country,” Rick Santorum warned in response to the Supreme Court striking DOMA down. “Hopefully Americans are going to wake up and see that this concentration of power in Washington is damaging to them and their freedom.” (RightWingWatch)

9. “There are many remarkable things about the majority’s merits holding. The first is how rootless and shifting its justifications are,” opined a sassy, finger-snapping Scalia in his DOMA dissent. Adding that Justice Kennedy’s opinion was“ scatter-shot rationales” and “legalistic argle-bargle.” (NYMag) Although technically not versed in mid 20th century angry white guy colloquialisms , I imagine ‘argle-bargle’ is some sort of Paula Dean thing.

10. “My thoughts on the SCOTUS ruling that determined that same sex marriage is okay: ‘Jesus wept.’ 5 people in robes said they are bigger than the voters of California and Congress combined. And bigger than God. May He forgive us all.” said Mike Huckabee in a freaking Facebook post no less. (The Inquisitr)

Top Ten Most Ridiculous Republican Anti-Gay Comments, Including Justice Scalia (DOMA Updated) -

Need more?

odd....none of those comments are about this individual.

if you can find comments about this guy, then you have a point.

Its actually worse. Its about all homosexuals.

You might think moving the goal posts make you look intelligent but its not my party that hates gays so much. So this guy will be shredded like I said and all you have is feet stamping and "Nuhh uhhh"

i didn't move the goal posts. you did.

until you can find comments specific to this guy, all you have are platitudes. and the people you cited are hardly representative of the republican party. they are far rightwingers.

I was going to say look at the comments in the source article to see what cons have to say about him but, oh whoops, looks like comments have been disabled for that article :confused::confused::confused:

I wonder why? :dunno:

that is interesting....i'm curious what USMB republicans think of this guy

Fair enough. It's true that there are plenty of republicans on here who would likely be willing to look past his sexuality but I very much don't think that's the case in the real world.

I was going to say look at the comments in the source article to see what cons have to say about him but, oh whoops, looks like comments have been disabled for that article :confused::confused::confused:

I wonder why? :dunno:

Fair enough. It's true that there are plenty of republicans on here who would likely be willing to look past his sexuality but I very much don't think that's the case in the real world.

that is entirely possible. one thing that bothers me about the homosexual issue is that libs ignore the fact that a large swath of their party is against homosexual marriage. they act like it is only republicans. republicans are definitely more vocal about their opposition. even obama was against gay marriage in 2008 and he basically got a pass from liberals on it.

that is entirely possible. one thing that bothers me about the homosexual issue is that libs ignore the fact that a large swath of their party is against homosexual marriage. they act like it is only republicans. republicans are definitely more vocal about their opposition. even obama was against gay marriage in 2008 and he basically got a pass from liberals on it.

Those Democrats don't vote on it as a priority issue so regardless of their views the Democratic party continues to be the party that supports gay people. I could say there are many Republican voters who support unions and other Democrat policies but will always vote republican over their social stances.

The republican party remains staunchly anti-gay and if this candidate gains any kind of national spotlight he'll be ripped to shreds by the most vocal elements of the Republican party.

The republican party remains staunchly anti-gay and if this candidate gains any kind of national spotlight he'll be ripped to shreds by the most vocal elements of the Republican party.

i doubt it. the republican party needs this guy. they will shut up.

my prediction, i guess we'll find out who is right.

i doubt it. the republican party needs this guy. they will shut up.

my prediction, i guess we'll find out who is right.

Just this last election Mitt Romney's only gay spokesperson had to step down over backlash from social conservatives! There are no gay republicans serving in congress! And last year the RNC UNANIMOUSLY voted WITHOUT DISCUSSION to oppose same-sex couples raising children and gay marriage!

Republican National Committee reaffirms opposition to gay marriage

You might think moving the goal posts make you look intelligent but its not my party that hates gays so much. So this guy will be shredded like I said and all you have is feet stamping and "Nuhh uhhh"

until you can find comments specific to this guy, all you have are platitudes. and the people you cited are hardly representative of the republican party. they are far rightwingers.

BS. The gop has been openly hostile to gays and civil rights. I'll take this guy on face value, unless there's more information, and I'll assume that he finds the hostility of the party does not outweigh his agreement on various issues. The Op refers to his work on refroming public employee benefits, but I'm not sure how that is relevant to congress.

His website, imo, describes what used to be a mainstream moderate. He wants to maintaine ss and medicare, he wants to make healthcare markets more accessable, though he fails to mention that doing so actually requires taxing somebody to pay for more healthcare. There's no mention of social issues.

Not exempt.

It's absolutely ridiculous that this meme is still going around.

Republicans added an amendment to Obamacare that forces Congress to buy their plan on the exchange. That's not "exempt", in any way.

Social Security.

P.L. 98-21
Congress has not been "exempt" from Social Security since 1984.

The Fair Labor Standards Act

The FLSA was passed in 1938, and it does not exempt Members of Congress or their staffs.

The Civil Rights Act, including Title VII

It's unclear whether or not this applies to Congress, in terms of the language of the law. But there have been no cases in which Congress actually violated the CRA.

SEC Insider Trading prohibitions

This one, I'm entirely in agreement with you on.

Got it Santorum, Bachmann and Huckabee are far right wingers.

BS. The gop has been openly hostile to gays and civil rights.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA

The party that is at open war against the Bill of Rights and attacks 1st, 2nd, and 4th amendment rights on an hourly basis has some chutzpah to accuse others.

I'll take this guy on face value, unless there's more information, and I'll assume that he finds the hostility of the party does not outweigh his agreement on various issues. The Op refers to his work on refroming public employee benefits, but I'm not sure how that is relevant to congress.

His website, imo, describes what used to be a mainstream moderate. He wants to maintaine ss and medicare, he wants to make healthcare markets more accessable, though he fails to mention that doing so actually requires taxing somebody to pay for more healthcare. There's no mention of social issues.

Moderates have no place in the democrat, or rather demagogue party. Makes sense that any true moderate would move to the GOP.

Forum List

Back