Optimist: Wish I Could Be One

Reagan took office in the 'wake of a recession'?

The brief 1980 recession had been over for 6 months when Reagan became president. Within 6 months we were back into a DEEP 16 month recession.

Shhhhh.... PC needs "Imaginary " Reagan. The one who never raised taxes, never gave amnesty to illegals, never sold weapons to terrorists

Yet the path towards amnesty never was shown to solve anything, did it? Yet the left's legacy lately always seems centered around promoting the same failed policies with the sworn promise and belief that we can expect a different result. Sounds a lot like those achievement tools you find framed on some corporate office wall speaking on "Insanity". Perhaps these liberals will find a way to incorporate that message on their next Presidential convention platform?

So...you're wearing plaid with checks again?????

Quite frankly, I am well known for completely forgetting to even put pants on.
"I don't see how you can make a blanket statement about Obama messing up the country, but not offering any evidence as to 'why'."

Evidence coming right up:

1.More than 6.7 million more Americans have been plunged into poverty since Obama became President.

2.Real household income is down 5%

3. Consumer prices are up 10.2%

4. Total federal debt is up 58%

5. Gasoline prices are up 82%

6. Food stamp recipients up 49%

7. Debt held by the public is up 89%

Unless you can prove, or even make a convincing argument, that President Obama actually caused any of that, then you might as well be claiming that President Reagan caused the AIDs epidemic in the US.

Yet, on the other hand, the left will try and make blanket statements that President Bush was the reason the economy is where it is, right? Interesting how that double talk works.

So you're stating that PC's blanket statements are the equivalent of the crazy leftists who make unsupported blanket statements about Bush and the economy?

lol, go argue with her then.

[

I "imagine" nothing, you dunce....

I can document what happened to the economy and the geopolitical environment as a result of his presidency.

I lived through what that senile old fool did the economy.

As for the Geopolitical environment, he enabled Jihadism, which is worse that Communism on its worst day.

Wait.....did you just use the phrase "senile old fool"????

Did someone say 'irony'?

I'm not that old.

Nor could this be said about me..
[

I can document what happened to the economy and the geopolitical environment as a result of his presidency.

As for the Geopolitical environment, he enabled Jihadism, which is worse that Communism on its worst day.

Did someone say 'irony'?

Nice of you to admit you have no idea what you are talking about. Maybe you should learn about the Reagan years from
people who lived through it rather than what you've heard on hate radio.

How Close Did Lesley Stahl Come to Reporting Reagan Had Alzheimer s While in Office Very Close. Mother Jones

Reagan was as shriveled as a kumquat. He was so frail, his skin so paper-thin. I could almost see the sunlight through the back of his withered neck…His eyes were coated. Larry introduced us, but he had to shout. Had Reagan turned off his hearing aid?
…Reagan didn't seem to know who I was. He gave me a distant look with those milky eyes and shook my hand weakly. Oh, my, he's gonzo, I thought. I have to go out on the lawn tonight and tell my countrymen that the president of the United States is a doddering space cadet. My heart began to hammer with the import...I was aware of the delicacy with which I would have to write my script. But I was quite sure of my diagnosis.

I'm not that old.

[

Did someone say 'irony'?

Nice of you to admit you have no idea what you are talking about. Maybe you should learn about the Reagan years from

How Close Did Lesley Stahl Come to Reporting Reagan Had Alzheimer s While in Office Very Close. Mother Jones

Reagan was as shriveled as a kumquat. He was so frail, his skin so paper-thin. I could almost see the sunlight through the back of his withered neck…His eyes were coated. Larry introduced us, but he had to shout. Had Reagan turned off his hearing aid?
…Reagan didn't seem to know who I was. He gave me a distant look with those milky eyes and shook my hand weakly. Oh, my, he's gonzo, I thought. I have to go out on the lawn tonight and tell my countrymen that the president of the United States is a doddering space cadet. My heart began to hammer with the import...I was aware of the delicacy with which I would have to write my script. But I was quite sure of my diagnosis.

"Nice of you to admit you have no idea what you are talking about."
I didn't.

I simply explained your hateful posts about President Reagan.

[

And Obama didn't?

Seems your whine is quite selective.

The brief 1980 recession had been over for 6 months when Reagan became president. Within 6 months we were back into a DEEP 16 month recession.

Shhhhh.... PC needs "Imaginary " Reagan. The one who never raised taxes, never gave amnesty to illegals, never sold weapons to terrorists

Yet the path towards amnesty never was shown to solve anything, did it? Yet the left's legacy lately always seems centered around promoting the same failed policies with the sworn promise and belief that we can expect a different result. Sounds a lot like those achievement tools you find framed on some corporate office wall speaking on "Insanity". Perhaps these liberals will find a way to incorporate that message on their next Presidential convention platform?

How convenient you forget the 1986 immigration reform also had border security and enforcement provisions in it that were supposed to stop illegal immigration. There was money provided for more surveillance technology and a lot more Border Patrol. I guess the piss you have been given to gargle and regurgitate left out that part, eh?

So what was that bit about doing the same thing expecting different results you were going on about, again?

As it happens, despite the millions of illegals we have here, we had full employment until a few years ago. Do you know what happened that caused all that recent unemployment? It was in all the papers.

I'll give you a hint. It had nothing to do with illegal immigrants.

I'm not that old.

[

Did someone say 'irony'?

Libs looking through shit covered glasses have very unclear vision needless to say.

[

And Obama didn't?

Muddy, I believe it to be a mistake to take SOF's erroneous claims about Reagan.

1. Under Reagan, the debt went up $1.7 trillion, from $900 billion to $2.6 trillion.
  2. But….the national wealth went up $ 17 trillion
  3. Reagan's near-trillion-dollar bulge in defense spending transformed the global balance of power in favor of capitalism. Spurring a stock-market, energy, venture-capital, real-estate and employment boom, the Reagan tax-rate cuts and other pro-enterprise policies added some $17 trillion to America's private-sector assets, dwarfing the trillion-dollar rise in public-sector deficits and creating 45 million net new jobs at rising wages and salaries.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444914904577621083163383966.html

Reaganomics - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

And the tax cuts of the Economic Recovery Act of 1981 stimulated economic growth. “As a 1982 JEC study pointed out,[1] similar across-the-board tax cuts had been implemented in the 1920s as the Mellon tax cuts, and in the 1960s as the Kennedy tax cuts. In both cases the reduction of high marginal tax rates actually increased tax payments by "the rich," also increasing their share of total individual income taxes paid.” http://www.house.gov/jec/fiscal/tx-grwth/reagtxct/reagtxct.htm

“As inflation came down and as more and more of the tax cuts from the 1981 Act went into effect, the economic began a strong and sustained pattern of growth.” US Department of the Treasury

The benefits from Reaganomics:
    1. The economy grew at a 3.4% average rate…compared with 2.9% for the previous eight years, and 2.7% for the next eight.(Table B-4)
    2. Inflation rate dropped from 12.5% to 4.4%. (Table B-63)
    3. Unemployment fell to 5.5% from 7.1% (Table B-35)
    4. Prime interest rate fell by one-third.(Table B-73)
    5. The S & P 500 jumped 124% (Table B-95) FDsys - Browse ERP
    6. Charitable contributions rose 57% faster than inflation. Dinesh D’Souza, “Ronald Reagan: How an Ordinary May Became an Extraordinary Leader,” p. 116

b. and c. Kiva - Kiva Lending Team Team Ron Paul Hulk Hogan Jesus of Nazareth Chuck Norris Ronald Reagan John Wayne Thomas Jefferson Alex Jones Peyton Manning The Tuskegee Airmen Schiff REAL Americans and George W. Bush

Compare this with the Reagan recovery:

"During this seven-year recovery, the economy grew by almost one-third, the equivalent of adding the entire economy of West Germany, the third-largest in the world at the time, to the U.S. economy. In 1984 alone real economic growth boomed by 6.8%, the highest in 50 years. Nearly 20 million new jobs were created during the recovery, increasing U.S. civilian employment by almost 20%. Unemployment fell to 5.3% by 1989.

Real per-capita disposable income increased by 18% from 1982 to 1989, meaning the American standard of living increased by almost 20% in just seven years. The poverty rate declined every year from 1984 to 1989, dropping by one-sixth from its peak. The stock market more than tripled in value from 1980 to 1990, a larger increase than in any previous decade."

Reaganomics Vs. Obamanomics Facts And Figures - Forbes

I'm not that old.

[

Did someone say 'irony'?

[

And Obama didn't?

"But, but, but OOOOOOOOObama!!!!! "

So...you're wearing plaid with checks again?????

Quite frankly, I am well known for completely forgetting to even put pants on.
"I don't see how you can make a blanket statement about Obama messing up the country, but not offering any evidence as to 'why'."

1.More than 6.7 million more Americans have been plunged into poverty since Obama became President.

Unless you can prove, or even make a convincing argument, that President Obama actually caused any of that, then you might as well be claiming that President Reagan caused the AIDs epidemic in the US.

Yet, on the other hand, the left will try and make blanket statements that President Bush was the reason the economy is where it is, right? Interesting how that double talk works.

So you're stating that PC's blanket statements are the equivalent of the crazy leftists who make unsupported blanket statements about Bush and the economy?

lol, go argue with her then.

Actually, president Obama setting policies to perform government "experiments" of hindering oil drilling permits in the gulf, setting regulations in hopes to bankrupt and drive out the coal industry, while offering government subsidies on a Chevy Volt that fails on production quotas with consumers is not how you strengthen a fragile economy. Taxpayers have already seen money thrown away at financially unstable green companies, that are merely political financial donors over any actual sound investments of alternative energy. President Obama wasn't a confident choice among voters who hoped to see lobbyists out of Obama's administration as he promised. Hope and Change became "more of the same", with an economy filled with part time employment over the creation of long term high paying career jobs. The voters saw transparency, and televised broadcasts that promise to reveal those "evil companies" looking to profit and make a deal on health care be replaced with Democrat closed door deals. They saw an administration hide behind the death of a boarder agent under Fast and Furious, while the administration "plays the media" in becoming all to eager for Eric Holder to investigate a teen shot by a cop under the promotion of racism. We have a President who glorifies the spotlight, but stands in the way of every administrative investigation. These are but a few that Obama's actions have revealed about his domestic policies and administrative choices. Doesn't speak much of his legacy that he leaves behind.

No you can't. You have never demonstrated cause and effect. You have never even attempted to make an argument that Reagan CAUSED the economy to eventually expand during his presidency. You have never even attempted to make an argument that Reagan CAUSED the breakup of the Soviet Union.
...the lengths the left goes to denigrate Reagan are simply astounding

What we have here is historically settled matters, though complex, thoroughly analyzed and understood, reduced to the sour grapes of political resentment.

But, then Reagan didn't cause the economy to expand or cause the collapse of the Soviet Union. It was his policies, his unwavering conviction, his inspiring leadership and fortitude, and those of many others, that made these achievements possible. The people of the respective nations, unencumbered by the artificial constrains of government and threat, did the rest. And that's the way Reagan saw things too and rightly so, as he, being the wise and humble man that he was, would have never presumed to imagine himself be anything more than the best he could be, unlike the narcissistic Messianic One of Hopey-Change.

Folks like you and me, PC, Katzndogz, Unkotare, mudwhistle, AquaAthena, ShaklesOfBigGov, save liberty and others: we get that too.

Today, we have Obama, community organizer and schlepper extraordinaire, a man about many towns and parties, Mr. Fund Raiser, intrepid golfer and inveterate campaigner.

That's the difference.

Last edited:
No you can't. You have never demonstrated cause and effect. You have never even attempted to make an argument that Reagan CAUSED the economy to eventually expand during his presidency. You have never even attempted to make an argument that Reagan CAUSED the breakup of the Soviet Union.
...the lengths the left goes to denigrate Reagan are simply astounding

What we have here is historically settled matters, though complex, thoroughly analyzed and understood, reduced to the sour grapes of political resentment.

But, then Reagan didn't cause the economy to expand or cause the collapse of the Soviet Union. It was his policies, his unwavering conviction, his inspiring leadership and fortitude, and those of many others, that made these achievements possible. The people of the respective nations, unencumbered by the artificial constrains of government and threat, did the rest. And that's the way Reagan saw things too and rightly so, as he, being the wise and humble man that he was, would have never presumed to imagine himself be anything more than the best he could be, unlike the narcissistic Messianic One of Hopey-Change.

Folks like you and me, PC, Katzndogz, Unkotare, mudwhistle, AquaAthena, ShaklesOfBigGov, save liberty and others: we get that too.

Today, we have Obama, community organizer and schlepper extraordinaire, a man about many towns and parties, Mr. Fund Raiser, intrepid golfer and inveterate campaigner.

That's the difference.

So without Reagan's 'fortitude', the business cycle would have ceased to function.

lol, good one.

The price of a gallon of gas certainly was a lot less by then, Sherlock.

The lines of us waiting to buy it were a lot shorter, too.

You have to stand in line to buy your gas? Since when has this been a thing?

It was a fact under Democrat President Carter.

What PC is implying is that President Carter's policies resulted in long lines for gas in our country, In fact, our support for Israel was the cause of the first OPEC Oil Embargo and long lines in our Country.

Anyone with half a brain and honest knows and understands that our long standing support for Israel, by both parties, was the proximate cause for OPEC to curtail exportation of oil to our nation, and others which supported Israel.

Lies by omission are still lies.

Exactly.

Which is why the premise of the OP is a lie and fails as a post hoc fallacy.

The price of a gallon of gas certainly was a lot less by then, Sherlock.

The lines of us waiting to buy it were a lot shorter, too.

You have to stand in line to buy your gas? Since when has this been a thing?

It was a fact under Democrat President Carter.

What PC is implying is that President Carter's policies resulted in long lines for gas in our country, In fact, our support for Israel was the cause of the first OPEC Oil Embargo and long lines in our Country.

Anyone with half a brain and honest knows and understands that our long standing support for Israel, by both parties, was the proximate cause for OPEC to curtail exportation of oil to our nation, and others which supported Israel.

Lies by omission are still lies.

1. "What PC is implying..."

I'm not shy....I state exactly what I wish to.....that's why I thrash you with metronomic regularity.

2. "In fact, our support for Israel was the cause of the first OPEC Oil Embargo..."

Well, sieg heil!
I certainly can guess what you are implying.

3. "Anyone with half a brain..."
Someone with almost half a brain wrote your post.

4. But, since you are begging for my analysis of Jimmy Carter.....

a. "When the Iranian revolution came to power, with the help of Democratic President Jimmy Carter,the Ayatollah Khomeini killed more human beings (about twenty thousand) in two weeks than had been killed by the Shah during his entire thirty-eight years.Khomeini followed this by sending hundreds of thousands of Iranians to die in the Iran-Iraq war, as martyrdom was needed to resurrect the Islamic Empire."
Paul Berman, “Terror and Liberalism,” p. 108

b. "Carter believed that Khomeini would support democracy, contrary to all that he had written while in exile. In over 110 interviews he gave in Paris in the three months prior to re-entering Iran, he never mentioned the rule of the ‘juriscouncil,’ the clerical guardianship, i.e., the regime in control currently. He promised that he would retire to a life of study, and “…leave all powers to the people.”
Dr. Abbas Milani, Director of the Iranian Studies Program at Stanford University. His recent book is “The Shah”

c. "Evidently, the millions in Arab petrodollars feeding Mr. Carter’s global endeavors, often in conflict with U.S. government policies, also ensure his loyalty."
Carter's Arab financiers - Washington Times

Carter is a money-grubbing moron. He reeks dishonesty.
No wonder he's your idol.

Forum List

Back