Optimist: Wish I Could Be One

[

Item #8 is key.

Are you willing to have your taxes raised to support more military spending?

Clearly, you are a non-dimensional individual with a one-dimensional view of the world.

Enamored as you are with big government, it is outside of your ken to imagine that policies and spending of government are errors and could be curtailed for more advantageous programs.

A $ trillion a year and no decrease in "poverty."

Sure could be better spent.

Actually educating folks like you would be another well spent dollar.

No no no. The point is that Reagan raised the deficit to pump the economy and it was a good thing for the economy.

That is a wild economic theory that I am cautious about but not in disagreement with. It works like the New Deal. You borrow from tomorrow to pump today during bad times. Does it work? If the programs are good and help the future. Build some power plants, lower energy costs. Build some aircraft carriers, makes it easier to blow up Iraq.

We can argue about the benefits and costs of a strong Soviet Union but theh were the perceived threat then. China and the rising tide of Islamic terrorism were a future POTENTIAL problem. So while now I can say we should have HELPED the Soviets in Afghanistan not sure if I could have said it then. So I don't totally disagree with the military splurge. At least I understand it.

Now onto the Soviets vs or alligned with China problem...man scary if they alligned.

Correct you are!

The benefits to the economy by Reagan's spending came back ten-fold in growth.

That's not an exaggeration- ten time.

Reagan took office in the 'wake of a recession'?

The brief 1980 recession had been over for 6 months when Reagan became president. Within 6 months we were back into a DEEP 16 month recession.

The price of a gallon of gas certainly was a lot less by then, Sherlock.

The lines of us waiting to buy it were a lot shorter, too.

You have to stand in line to buy your gas? Since when has this been a thing?

It was a fact under Democrat President Carter.

either you're an optimist or a PISS-o-mist ..or a selective flip flopping partisan RW'r

You know Obama still isn't back to neutral from where he started. Unemployment is still higher, debt bigger, less people with health insurance, involved in more countries with a war, more people on food stamps and so on.
war? :bsflag: where do we have troops on the ground for the foreseeable future? :eusa_eh:

[

Item #8 is key.

Clearly, you are a non-dimensional individual with a one-dimensional view of the world.

Enamored as you are with big government, it is outside of your ken to imagine that policies and spending of government are errors and could be curtailed for more advantageous programs.

Is that a yes or a no?

The brief 1980 recession had been over for 6 months when Reagan became president. Within 6 months we were back into a DEEP 16 month recession.

I'm sure after listening to this speech, as the events unfolded, I wouldn't think our nation to be in any economic trouble. Recession was clearly as uneventful as you portray it to be. Lucky for you, I was old enough to remember the Carter years.

From President Jimmy Carter's televised speech on July 15, 1979.

It's clear that the true problems of our Nation are much deeper -- deeper than gasoline lines or energy shortages, deeper even than inflation or recession. And I realize more than ever that as president I need your help.

In a nation that was proud of hard work, strong families, close-knit communities, and our faith in God, too many of us now tend to worship self-indulgence and consumption. Human identity is no longer defined by what one does, but by what one owns. But we've discovered that owning things and consuming things does not satisfy our longing for meaning. We've learned that piling up material goods cannot fill the emptiness of lives which have no confidence or purpose.
The symptoms of this crisis of the American spirit are all around us. For the first time in the history of our country a majority of our people believe that the next five years will be worse than the past five years.

First of all, we must face the truth, and then we can change our course. We simply must have faith in each other, faith in our ability to govern ourselves, and faith in the future of this nation. Restoring that faith and that confidence to America is now the most important task we face. It is a true challenge of this generation of Americans.
One of the visitors to Camp David last week put it this way: "We've got to stop crying and start sweating, stop talking and start walking, stop cursing and start praying. The strength we need will not come from the White House, but from every house in America."
[

Item #8 is key.

:popcorn: Righties, who claim to be deficit hawks, won't go there lol. They CLAIM to be deficit hawks but are the opposite.

Well, their story is that cutting taxes will produce more revenue and magically pay for their massive increases in defense spending.

Gee Dot follow the news, Afghanistan, Iraq and soon in Syria, if we aren't already there. Those fighter jets usually have ground spotters.

Why do we need to increase our defense spending? Clearly a neocon pro military industrial complex kind of thinking. I say the military gets its fair share. It seems that cutting taxes for the wealthy is what they stand for while the middle class they are fine to have take the hit. We have the most powerful, strongest military in the world by far. Our high school has sent a total of 3 kids to the military in the last 4 graduating classes. To me that is fine, to neocon that isn't enough. Then again its not their kids.

Gee Dot follow the news, Afghanistan, Iraq and soon in Syria, if we aren't already there. Those fighter jets usually have ground spotters.
tumblr_ldow012jAt1qbwmdbo1_r1_500.jpg

"usually" is the operative word there Sugar Shorts. You said "wars". They involve sizable #'s of boots on the ground not isolated small groups. Don't equate small undisclosed forces w/ 650,000+ troop-levels like the last Repub had long-term in vietraq :talktothehand:

Obama knows that if one soldier is captured and or killed Republicans will howl , like they always do BTW about just about everything.

Last edited:
[

Item #8 is key.

Is that a yes or a no?

Speak English?

Yes or no?

I'm sure after listening to this speech, as the events unfolded, I wouldn't think our nation to be in any economic trouble. Recession was clearly as uneventful as you portray it to be. Lucky for you, I was old enough to remember the Carter years.

From President Jimmy Carter's televised speech on July 15, 1979.

It's clear that the true problems of our Nation are much deeper -- deeper than gasoline lines or energy shortages, deeper even than inflation or recession. And I realize more than ever that as president I need your help.

In a nation that was proud of hard work, strong families, close-knit communities, and our faith in God, too many of us now tend to worship self-indulgence and consumption. Human identity is no longer defined by what one does, but by what one owns. But we've discovered that owning things and consuming things does not satisfy our longing for meaning. We've learned that piling up material goods cannot fill the emptiness of lives which have no confidence or purpose.
The symptoms of this crisis of the American spirit are all around us. For the first time in the history of our country a majority of our people believe that the next five years will be worse than the past five years.

First of all, we must face the truth, and then we can change our course. We simply must have faith in each other, faith in our ability to govern ourselves, and faith in the future of this nation. Restoring that faith and that confidence to America is now the most important task we face. It is a true challenge of this generation of Americans.
One of the visitors to Camp David last week put it this way: "We've got to stop crying and start sweating, stop talking and start walking, stop cursing and start praying. The strength we need will not come from the White House, but from every house in America."
[

Item #8 is key.

:popcorn: Righties, who claim to be deficit hawks, won't go there lol. They CLAIM to be deficit hawks but are the opposite.

Well, their story is that cutting taxes will produce more revenue and magically pay for their massive increases in defense spending.

Which is exactly what Reagan's policies proved.

And what you prove is my earlier posts:
Not facts, nor data, nor experience, nor rational debate will convince Liberals
Explaining to a Liberal is like trying to tell a devout Muslim that Al-Buraq didn't carry the prophet Muhammad from Mecca to Jerusalem and back during the Isra and Mi'raj or "Night Journey."

tumblr_ldow012jAt1qbwmdbo1_r1_500.jpg

"usually" is the operative word there Sugar Shorts. You said "wars". They involve sizable #'s of boots on the ground not isolated small groups. Don't equate small undisclosed forces w/ 650,000+ troop-levels like the last Repub had long-term in vietraq :talktothehand:

Obama knows that if one soldier is captured and or killed Republicans will howl , like they always do BTW about just about everything.

Let's remind all that the fraud in the White House caused this debacle by refusing to obtain a status of forces agreement that would have left troops to maintain our gains in Iraq.

"Obama's 2012 Debate Boast: I Didn't Want to Leave Any Troops in Iraq
Obama then denied that he ever supported a status of forces agreement that would have left troops in Iraq:

MR. ROMNEY: [W]ith regards to Iraq, you and I agreed, I believe, that there should have been a status of forces agreement. Did you —

PRESIDENT OBAMA: That's not true.

MR. ROMNEY: Oh, you didn't — you didn't want a status of forces agreement?

PRESIDENT OBAMA: No, but what I — what I would not have done is left 10,000 troops in Iraq that would tie us down. That certainly would not help us in the Middle East.

"Here's one thing I've learned as commander in chief," Obama said at the end of the exchange. "You've got to be clear, both to our allies and our enemies, about where you stand and what you mean
Obama s 2012 Debate Boast I Didn t Want to Leave Any Troops in Iraq The Weekly Standard

a. "This month, Colin Kahl, the senior Pentagon official in charge of Iraq policy at the time, explained why the White House insisted on Iraq’s parliament approving the changes to the SOFA.

He wrote in Politico Magazinethat in 2011 Iraq’s prime minister, Nouri al-Maliki, “told U.S. negotiators that he was willing to sign an executive memorandum of understanding that included these legal protections.

Yet this time around, Obama is willing to accept an agreement from Iraq’s foreign ministry on U.S. forces in Iraq without a vote of Iraq’s parliament. “We believe we need a separate set of assurances from the Iraqis,” one senior U.S. defense official told The Daily Beast on Sunday. This official said this would likely be an agreement or exchange of diplomatic notes from the Iraq’s foreign ministry. “We basically need a piece of paper from them,” another U.S. official involved in the negotiations told The Daily Beast. The official didn’t explain why the parliamentary vote, so crucial three years ago, was no longer needed.”
Obama Does a U-Turn on Immunity for U.S. Troops in Iraq - The Daily Beast

Obama rejected it.

His two most significant foreign policy achievements will be a nuclear Iran, and the restoration of the Islamic caliphate.

lol. you ODS sufferers at least have a sense of humor once in a while :p

WIN AN ELECTION BITCHEZ!!! :boohoo:

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke.

So, as long as simpletons, i.e., you, continue to pretend that men like Obama aren't incompetent and/or evil....his reign will continue.

Do you understand what that means?
When the demise of this once great nation is written, those of your ilk will be pointed out as the cause.

wait a sec PoliHack :talktothehand: This all came about because of the blowback from Republican unpaid-for Cowboy Diplomacy Sugar Shorts :thup:

Transcript: Obama's Speech Against The Iraq War

What I am opposed to is a dumb war. What I am opposed to is a rash war. What I am opposed to is the cynical attempt by Richard Perle and Paul Wolfowitz and other armchair, weekend warriors in this administration to shove their own ideological agendas down our throats, irrespective of the costs in lives lost and in hardships borne.

What I am opposed to is the attempt by political hacks like Karl Rove to distract us from a rise in the uninsured, a rise in the poverty rate, a drop in the median income — to distract us from corporate scandals and a stock market that has just gone through the worst month since the Great Depression. That's what I'm opposed to. A dumb war. A rash war. A war based not on reason but on passion, not on principle but on politics.

That was given in 2002 PoliHack :rofl:

Forum List

Back