Ordering a pizza and back to our future

Then there was this jewel from Maxine Waters but goes all the way back to February, 2013--that was more than three months ago so that probably doesn't count as 'recent' either:

Transcript of video:
"The President has put in place an organization with the kind of database that no one has ever seen before in life," Representative Maxine Waters told Roland Martin on Monday. "That's going to be very, very powerful," Waters said. "That database will have information about everything on every individual on ways that it's never been done before and whoever runs for President on the Democratic ticket has to deal with that. They're going to go down with that database and the concerns of those people because they can't get around it. And he's [President Obama] been very smart. It's very powerful what he's leaving in place."

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIA1lQBqH1s]Maxine Waters Confirms "Big Brother" Database 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Then there was this jewel from Maxine Waters but goes all the way back to February, 2013--that was more than three months ago so that probably doesn't count as 'recent' either:

Transcript of video:
"The President has put in place an organization with the kind of database that no one has ever seen before in life," Representative Maxine Waters told Roland Martin on Monday. "That's going to be very, very powerful," Waters said. "That database will have information about everything on every individual on ways that it's never been done before and whoever runs for President on the Democratic ticket has to deal with that. They're going to go down with that database and the concerns of those people because they can't get around it. And he's [President Obama] been very smart. It's very powerful what he's leaving in place."

Maxine Waters Confirms "Big Brother" Database 2013 - YouTube

Yeah, you're right. Didn't happen yesterday, so it's "irrelevant". These "Obama apologists" will tell you that it started waaayyyy back when, and they are correct. But one would think that the Obama administration wouldn't allow this invasion of privacy - yet he seems to be "full sails ahead"....

What the hell - freedom isn't all that its cracked up to be, is it?????

Many years ago, 1984 was high on the recommended reading lists in most of America's highschools and frequently the book widely discussed on college campuses. But it was so bizarre we looked at it as science fiction or realities of some totalitarian regime. Not something that could ever happen in America.

Then there were the recent scandals of massive data base gathering through wireless phone companies and other incidents of which apparently most Americans remain unaware or they shrug it off as no big deal. Many were reassured when prominent congresspersons defended the situation. And there is more and more pressure from government at various levels to regulate the size of soft drinks we can buy, the amount of fat or sugar or salt permitted into the foods we eat, etc.

How close are we to the Orwellian Big Brother 1984 scenario we used to discuss on an intellectual level only?

What do you think? Are you concerned? Is the following video prepared by the ACLU anything close to being realistic?

Ordering Pizza in the Future - YouTube

And it’s still something that will never happen in America, to suggest otherwise is ignorant and naïve, or deceitful and partisan.

It has already happened in America. Have you not seen what the NSA has done? Have you seen what's going on in New York? Or are you willfully ignoring this for some reason? To think, we already have people already as naive as you are, suggesting that something like this would never happen in America, well as of now, you are dead wrong, Clayton.

Do any of us really know who is watchng? Or why? There are a couple of television shows on the Food Network--Mystery Diners and Restaurant Stakeout--in which the owners hire people to come in and set up video cameras to watch all the employees while they work. So everything is on video tape - picking your nose, when you thought you were scratching somewhere indiscretely, giving some deserving jerk the finger behind his back, etc.

Is this reassuring to those who WANT the boss to know they're doing a good job? Or not?

How much is your boss tracking your activities at work? There are devices that can track every keystroke on your computer without you knowing it is happening. A lot of us have had certain internet activity blocked on our work computers, but somebody can also be tracking every single website you visit when you are surfing. Do you really want everybody to know what you're curious about or looking at on your computer? Is your phone issued by the company? Do you know whether it has tracking devices built into it? The boss knows if you stop at a 7/11 for a Big Gulp?

And if our bosses and others in the private sector can watch us that closely, how much more can the government do that with its unlimited resources and bank account?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDSCC5iR_DE]How is Big Brother watching you??? - YouTube[/ame]

Do any of us really know who is watchng? Or why? There are a couple of television shows on the Food Network--Mystery Diners and Restaurant Stakeout--in which the owners hire people to come in and set up video cameras to watch all the employees while they work. So everything is on video tape - picking your nose, when you thought you were scratching somewhere indiscretely, giving some deserving jerk the finger behind his back, etc.

Is this reassuring to those who WANT the boss to know they're doing a good job? Or not?

How much is your boss tracking your activities at work? There are devices that can track every keystroke on your computer without you knowing it is happening. A lot of us have had certain internet activity blocked on our work computers, but somebody can also be tracking every single website you visit when you are surfing. Do you really want everybody to know what you're curious about or looking at on your computer? Is your phone issued by the company? Do you know whether it has tracking devices built into it? The boss knows if you stop at a 7/11 for a Big Gulp?

And if our bosses and others in the private sector can watch us that closely, how much more can the government do that with its unlimited resources and bank account?

How is Big Brother watching you??? - YouTube

That is true. And when I joined my current employer, they made me sign waivers that said I knew that they monitired my activities, that cell phone use was tracked, that my travel was monitored or something like that, and I am sure if they really wanted, they could tell if I stopped for a coke at the 7-11, but then they would have to pay some IT guy $40/hr to dig through tons of material just to show that I stopped in Franklin TN at 4:15 last Friday for dinner at a Texas Roadhouse, or whatever Steak palce it was.

Now, all that said, they probably do not care, but if they wanted to, they could track me. Do I like that? But I took it on as part of employment.

Government monitoring? I am sure it is possible, but do you really think they watch whether carpenters stop at a strip joint on the way home? Can you imagine the number of calls made on cell phones and how much manpower they would have to spend to monitor it all? It is very selective, but they can do it. I do no like that, but it probably does not affect me.

How is Big Brother watching you??? - YouTube

That is true. And when I joined my current employer, they made me sign waivers that said I knew that they monitired my activities, that cell phone use was tracked, that my travel was monitored or something like that, and I am sure if they really wanted, they could tell if I stopped for a coke at the 7-11, but then they would have to pay some IT guy $40/hr to dig through tons of material just to show that I stopped in Franklin TN at 4:15 last Friday for dinner at a Texas Roadhouse, or whatever Steak palce it was.

Now, all that said, they probably do not care, but if they wanted to, they could track me. Do I like that? But I took it on as part of employment.

Government monitoring? I am sure it is possible, but do you really think they watch whether carpenters stop at a strip joint on the way home? Can you imagine the number of calls made on cell phones and how much manpower they would have to spend to monitor it all? It is very selective, but they can do it. I do no like that, but it probably does not affect me.

Do they watch me? Naw. I can neither hurt them nor help them so I am insignificant and not worth their time. But if I was running for office on the wrong party's ticket and was gaining momemtum? If I had achieved notoriety like Joe the Plumber or others who became social icons. . . . .then yeah. I think they might have those IT guys combing everything available to them to find something, anything, to diminish me, discredit me, provide fodder by which their loyal trained attack dogs would shread to pieces.

It has not escaped my notice that if they choose to destroy somebody, they have ability to find the most amazing and/or insignificant ammunition, no matter how ancient or how innocent, and they make sure it is published on message boards and in the newspapers and on MSNBC or wherever to erode whatever support the person has been able to acquire.

Pretty funny video.
Scary? I don't know. I mean we all know all that data is out there. But why would someone (especially a pizza place) pay the high cost of gathering and matching all that data?

Why would anyone go to all the trouble to do that? Just because they can doesn't mean they will.

It was funny back in 1996 or whenever it was made...:razz:About the same time some of these people had an original thought.

Many years ago, 1984 was high on the recommended reading lists in most of America's highschools and frequently the book widely discussed on college campuses. But it was so bizarre we looked at it as science fiction or realities of some totalitarian regime. Not something that could ever happen in America.

Then there were the recent scandals of massive data base gathering through wireless phone companies and other incidents of which apparently most Americans remain unaware or they shrug it off as no big deal. Many were reassured when prominent congresspersons defended the situation. And there is more and more pressure from government at various levels to regulate the size of soft drinks we can buy, the amount of fat or sugar or salt permitted into the foods we eat, etc.

How close are we to the Orwellian Big Brother 1984 scenario we used to discuss on an intellectual level only?

What do you think? Are you concerned? Is the following video prepared by the ACLU anything close to being realistic?

And it’s still something that will never happen in America, to suggest otherwise is ignorant and naïve, or deceitful and partisan.
You're right. The IRS, for instance, would NEVER illegally seize the medical records of 60 million Americans.

You're right. The IRS, for instance, would NEVER illegally seize the medical records of 60 million Americans.

Exactly. That is what I was referring to in my post about the EPIC charting system. The feds will have full access to our medical records. I don;t have a clue WHY they would need it, but then again, it IS the government.....

Recent? That video is about 10 years old and created to protest the Patriot Act. I find it weird that so many on the right are all up in arms now. Why is that and where were they a decade ago?

^ that. It didn't bother them in 2006 when the Republican President, who was white BTW as are 97%+ of them are these days :tongue: (quelle surprise :rolleyes: ) :eusa_whistle: :eusa_eh: Now we have a different looking (black) President from the other party so its all of a sudden scary now

Last edited:
This old thread has been dormant for quite awhile, but I was just presented with this tidbit of information that I thought should be recorded someplace. And this seemed the logical place to post it:

I was startled to learn yesterday that the National Security Agency has secretly implanted software in nearly 100,000 computers around the world—and can do so, through radio waves, even when they’re not connected to the web.

While the New York Times story said there is no evidence that the agency uses these cyberwarfare methods within the United States, it’s not hard to imagine some spillover—and the thought is chilling. . . .
NSA Surveillance and the Media: Why the spying scandal no longer resonates | Fox News

And his one that recently surfaced re a communiation between Putin and Snowden:

MOSCOW -- National Security Agency leaker Edward Snowden asked Russian President Vladimir Putin Thursday whether his nation's spy agencies sweep up data en-masse from Russian citizens, the way his former employer has done in the United States.

Russia granted Snowden asylum last year, and he still lives somewhere in the country. He was not in the Moscow television studio Thursday to ask the question in person, but recorded it earlier and sent it to the broadcaster online using "secured" technology, according to a Russian lawyer who has represented him.

Putin said that Russian special services do tap communications in their fight against terrorism, but don't do it on such a massive scale as the U.S. . . .
NSA leaker Edward Snowden asks Putin how Russia spies on Russians - CBS News

What massive scale does Snowden and Putin know about that we don't?

And finally this one from the U.K.'s National Health Service which makes you wonder if Obama might find it profitable to do the same thing with the medical data base he is collecting on all of us as we speak:

Drug and insurance companies will from later this year be able to buy information on patients – including mental health conditions and diseases such as cancer, as well as smoking and drinking habits – once a single English database of medical data has been created. . . .
NHS patient data to be made available for sale to drug and insurance firms | Society | The Guardian

This old thread has been dormant for quite awhile, but I was just presented with this tidbit of information that I thought should be recorded someplace. And this seemed the logical place to post it:

I was startled to learn yesterday that the National Security Agency has secretly implanted software in nearly 100,000 computers around the world—and can do so, through radio waves, even when they’re not connected to the web.

While the New York Times story said there is no evidence that the agency uses these cyberwarfare methods within the United States, it’s not hard to imagine some spillover—and the thought is chilling. . . .
NSA Surveillance and the Media: Why the spying scandal no longer resonates | Fox News

oh its a lot worse than you think. The difference is nobody is being forced to think a certain way or being arrested in the way 1984 showed. its still bad though and invasion of privacy

oh its a lot worse than you think. The difference is nobody is being forced to think a certain way or being arrested in the way 1984 showed. its still bad though and invasion of privacy

But the increasing pressure to be politically correct or else be descended upon by angry mobs or groups demanding that you lose your livelihood or be banned from speaking on college campuses, etc. etc. is getting darn close to the 1984 concept of thought and speech control. Most especially when it is the invasion of privacy that that exposes and leads to destruction of the prominent person who is in any way politically incorrect.

Who among us would pass muster in ALL our private conversations?

Forum List

Back