Oregon Gov Commutes Sentences of Death Row Inmates

This is an example of why we need the death penalty instead of life without parole

Libs cannot be trusted to keep their word

Sooner or later someone will plead to have one of these assholes released on compassion grounds due to their age, sickness, or whatever.

View attachment 738468

I am staunchly against the death penalty. I don't think it is a deterrent. That being said, if we executed people 90 days after their sentence, I think the deterrent factor would skyrocket. If I've said it once, I've said it a dozen times...we need to completely overhaul our criminal justice system.

As for this ruling, I have mixed emotions. At the end of the day, I think it's a good thing to do. However, I do not like that the jury was empaneled, listened to testimony, rendered a verdict, then (likely) rendered a sentence. Then...later on a governor, overturns it? Don't get me wrong, stop all executions going forward but I don't like it when the jury system is usurped by the chief executive.
The death penalty prevents repeat crime. It also eases prison overcrowding. What's not to like?

I have--he was the first guy executed after we brought the death penalty back.

What was up with him?
He is the reason we brought the death penalty back.

David Gilmore did not want to spend the rest of his life in prison and he went all the way to the Supreme Court to have the death penalty reinstated.

He was shot by a firing squad, his choice, in Nevada.

The death penalty prevents repeat crime. It also eases prison overcrowding. What's not to like?
What's not to like is the stunning number of innocent people who have been found on death row thanks to DNA testing.

Our justice system is clearly broken.

He is the reason we brought the death penalty back.

David Gilmore did not want to spend the rest of his life in prison and he went all the way to the Supreme Court to have the death penalty reinstated.

He was shot by a firing squad, his choice, in Nevada.
Ahh...I thought you were going to say he was wrongly convicted or something.

Why do people feel the need to exaggerate statistics? 70 million have a criminal record, 4.5 million on probation or parole and 2.12 million currently in prison.

Why do people feel the need to exaggerate statistics? 70 million have a criminal record, 4.5 million on probation or parole and 2.12 million currently in prison.
That is the highest prison population in the world. More than Communist China, with a population four and a half times larger than ours.

Plus the people of Oregon also voted the DP back, only to have two governors implement a moratorium.

Because they recognize the barbarism in it.

For you maybe, for a hardened criminal 3 hots and a cot is probably not that bad.

Are you really arguing that poverty leads to crime? Maybe we should do something about that.

And finding out someone was innocent 50 years later after they died of natural causes in prison is better how?

It isn't. But you have 50 years to correct the mistake. Once you execute someone, you can't correct the mistake.

Forum List

Back