Oregon Will Become Second State to Offer Free Community College

Oh hell yes!
More than 10,000 students are expected to benefit from a last-minute bill passed by legislators this week that makes Oregon only the second state (after Tennessee) to offer free community college.

The idea, according to state Sen. Mark Hass(D-Beaverton), is that a lot of needy students who might like to attend community college are currently failing to apply for federal grants that could pay for much of their education.

The new legislation, Senate Bill 81, offers a carrot: If eligible students apply for and receive federal grants for community college, Oregon will pay the balance of their tuition. The recipients must have lived in Oregon for 12 months, begin their community college course work within six months of finishing high school or the equivalent, take courses that are required for graduation and maintain a 2.5 grade point average. (And it's not entirely free—each student must pay a minimum of $50 per term.)

In legislative testimony, Hass cited state estimates that it costs about $14,000 a year in social services and indirect costs to support each of the 70,000 Oregonians between the ages of 18 and 24 who are unemployed and have no education beyond high school.

"A lifetime of food stamps is much more expensive than the annual community college tuition of $3,000," Hass told lawmakers on May 28.

In Tennessee, more than 80 percent of the students that took part last year in that state's new program got full or partial grant (not loan) funding from federal Pell grants. The state then paid the balance.

If Gov. Kate Brown signs the bill, Oregon will begin its program in 2016, with expenditures capped at $10 million per year. Hass says that, because the program is new, no one is quite sure how many students will take advantage of it. Legislative estimates put the number at between 10,000 and 12,000.

The Senate approved the bill last Thursday. The House then OK'd it late Friday, with 14 of the chamber's 25 GOP members voting for it, led by Rep. Mark Johnson (R-Hood River), who worked closely with Hass on the bill.
http://www.wweek.com/portland/blog-...nd_state_to_offer_free_community_college.html
Please keep us informed as to whether this bill makes it to the Governor's desk for her signature.

Oh hell yes!
More than 10,000 students are expected to benefit from a last-minute bill passed by legislators this week that makes Oregon only the second state (after Tennessee) to offer free community college.

The idea, according to state Sen. Mark Hass(D-Beaverton), is that a lot of needy students who might like to attend community college are currently failing to apply for federal grants that could pay for much of their education.

The new legislation, Senate Bill 81, offers a carrot: If eligible students apply for and receive federal grants for community college, Oregon will pay the balance of their tuition. The recipients must have lived in Oregon for 12 months, begin their community college course work within six months of finishing high school or the equivalent, take courses that are required for graduation and maintain a 2.5 grade point average. (And it's not entirely free—each student must pay a minimum of $50 per term.)

In legislative testimony, Hass cited state estimates that it costs about $14,000 a year in social services and indirect costs to support each of the 70,000 Oregonians between the ages of 18 and 24 who are unemployed and have no education beyond high school.

"A lifetime of food stamps is much more expensive than the annual community college tuition of $3,000," Hass told lawmakers on May 28.

In Tennessee, more than 80 percent of the students that took part last year in that state's new program got full or partial grant (not loan) funding from federal Pell grants. The state then paid the balance.

If Gov. Kate Brown signs the bill, Oregon will begin its program in 2016, with expenditures capped at $10 million per year. Hass says that, because the program is new, no one is quite sure how many students will take advantage of it. Legislative estimates put the number at between 10,000 and 12,000.

The Senate approved the bill last Thursday. The House then OK'd it late Friday, with 14 of the chamber's 25 GOP members voting for it, led by Rep. Mark Johnson (R-Hood River), who worked closely with Hass on the bill.
http://www.wweek.com/portland/blog-...nd_state_to_offer_free_community_college.html
th

Advancing America who could possibly be against that?
The people who will be forced to foot the bill?
Oh please, your rhetoric is stale and old, it will be more cost effective and a beneficial use of tax dollars to help poor students get a education to better themselves, especially when looking at the success in Tennessee.
When the workers who pay taxes diminish and the cash cow dries up the leeches will either have to go to work or starve. Check out Social Security.

A free education is probably a better investment than a lifetime of welfare and foodstamps. The benefit to the nation as well is obvious.
A hell of a lot of "somebodies" are on the freeshit wagon. Millions of them. Who's footing the bill?

Note to OP: NOTHING IS FREE
NOTE TO SASSY: Providing low income people with a way to get a free education and advance is beneficial to everyone, of course nothing is "free" when you think taxes are literally slavery, but then again, your idiocy means nothing to the shrinking right wing in america and the growing left wing.

Oh hell yes!

And soon they will be as broke as Greece. Nothing is free Debs.
The Sun is free.....

NOTE TO SASSY: Providing low income people with a way to get a free education and advance is beneficial to everyone, of course nothing is "free" when you think taxes are literally slavery, but then again, your idiocy means nothing to the shrinking right wing in america and the growing left wing.

I paid for my college, my husband paid for his. I have no intentions of paying for anyone other than our children's.

so the teachers and staff are going to go unpaid
and since they aren't getting paid
their morgages will not have to be paid, or they go rent free
their ulitity bills won't have to get paid
their cars will be fixed for free
they get free fuel
free doctor visits
free food
free drinks

wow, where can I get a job with perks like that?

oh yeah? if it's so "easy" to fund SS, why don't they just effing DO so, hmm? the fact is that there are fewer and fewer paying into SS and more and more going on it, and staying on it longer. Also, Medicare is being swamped. The average person on SS retirement pension ALSO has half a million $ spent on their med care for lifetime, paid- for with other people's taxes. the average such person never paid in even HALF of what they draw out in SS and the entire medicare payment is unfunded by that individual.

I paid for my college, my husband paid for his. I have no intentions of paying for anyone other than our children's.
Sucks for you, I, as a decent person, believe that we all have a duty to care for each other, taxes will always exist, and I'll happily pay to help low income people get a education.

Advancing America who could possibly be against that?
The people who will be forced to foot the bill?
Oh please, your rhetoric is stale and old, it will be more cost effective and a beneficial use of tax dollars to help poor students get a education to better themselves, especially when looking at the success in Tennessee.
When the workers who pay taxes diminish and the cash cow dries up the leeches will either have to go to work or starve. Check out Social Security.

A free education is probably a better investment than a lifetime of welfare and foodstamps. The benefit to the nation as well is obvious.
A hell of a lot of "somebodies" are on the freeshit wagon. Millions of them. Who's footing the bill?
Stagnant wages, rising education costs, rising cost of living.. Cant' blame them, you right wingers are idiots, you want to destroy social programs and not raise wages at all, while letting education costs go through the roof, fuck off.

Sucks for you, I, as a decent person, believe that we all have a duty to care for each other, taxes will always exist, and I'll happily pay to help low income people get a education.

There are avenues for them to get an education, it's they want it FREE!!!!!! Fuck them. Take out the loans, get a degree employers want.

Forum List

Back