Over 40 People Have Died In Kentucky

icebeerlootlw4.jpg

Ah beer man reappears. You just jogged my memory. Funny and sad at the same time.

EDDYVILLE, Ky. (AP) — In the first real test of the Obama administration's ability to respond to a disaster, Kentucky officials are giving the federal government good marks for its response to a deadly ice storm.
FEMA gets decent marks for ice storm response - USATODAY.com

Like usual you wingnuts are full of it. Obama did well, Bush totally failed Katrina. Brownie told him days prior to the landfall the levees would not hold. Whether he did enough or not, the mayor of New Orleans followed the protocols for that emergency. FEMA, under a man that was a failure even at running horse shows, did not.

Yap on all you wish, the American People fully realize what happened during Katrina.
more bullshit from rockhead

FEMA didnt fail in MS, AL, or FL during Katrina
you and your fucked up hate re the only difference

The federal, state and local government was caught with their pants down for Katrina. Few people remember the levees held until the next day. New Orleans was in good shape until the levees broke. Everyone was breathing a sigh of relief and folks were dancing in the streets until the levees broke. So I can understand how government was caught off guard. It affected well over a million people. I remember FEMA food and Ice centers setup a few days after the storm. Troops all over the place giving people a hand. You are not going to make everyone happy after something like that.

I pray the folks in Kentucky or doing better and will be out of this mess. How do we donate?
i just cant stand the empty bush bashing these morons do
the media played it all up and made it look like it was way worse than it was
the only difference in the two situations is the media isnt making this out to be a massive disaster and a complete failure of FEMA like they did during Katrina
FEMA is doing what they should be doing, just like they did for Katrina

more bullshit from rockhead

FEMA didnt fail in MS, AL, or FL during Katrina
you and your fucked up hate re the only difference

The federal, state and local government was caught with their pants down for Katrina. Few people remember the levees held until the next day. New Orleans was in good shape until the levees broke. Everyone was breathing a sigh of relief and folks were dancing in the streets until the levees broke. So I can understand how government was caught off guard. It affected well over a million people. I remember FEMA food and Ice centers setup a few days after the storm. Troops all over the place giving people a hand. You are not going to make everyone happy after something like that.

I pray the folks in Kentucky or doing better and will be out of this mess. How do we donate?
i just cant stand the empty bush bashing these morons do
the media played it all up and made it look like it was way worse than it was
the only difference in the two situations is the media isnt making this out to be a massive disaster and a complete failure of FEMA like they did during Katrina
FEMA is doing what they should be doing, just like they did for Katrina

Rockhead is being disingeuos, dive.It is not the responsubility of the fed to be first responders. They cannot come in unless asked by the state.

ROCKHEAD! GROW UP! This isn't the UNITED FEDERAL STATES of AMERICA! LEARN THE WAY THINGS IN THIS COUNTRY WORK BEFORE COMMENTING ON SHIT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND!

EDDYVILLE, Ky. (AP) — In the first real test of the Obama administration's ability to respond to a disaster, Kentucky officials are giving the federal government good marks for its response to a deadly ice storm.

Like usual you wingnuts are full of it. Obama did well, Bush totally failed Katrina. Brownie told him days prior to the landfall the levees would not hold. Whether he did enough or not, the mayor of New Orleans followed the protocols for that emergency. FEMA, under a man that was a failure even at running horse shows, did not.

Yap on all you wish, the American People fully realize what happened during Katrina.
Yep. I can tell from reading this thread that most people don't have a clue as to how the government works when a federal disaster is declared.

Good for FEMA, sounds like they got one right.

This was FYI the worst ice storm to hit KY in recorded history.

People typically do not prepare for events so beyond normal expectations.

For example, while it definitely makes sense to people to prepare for let's say a ten-year storm, it defintiely does not make ECONOMIC sense for people to prepare for a hundred-year storm.

And this is one of the problems we are probably facing globally because of climate change.

Assuming one believes that climate change is happening, the global weirding that comes with this change means that people cannot prepare adequately for events so far beyond the normal expectations we ALL have about our local weather outcomes.

Having been in one of those dramatic ice storms about ten years ago, one that hit Maine and Canada, I have just got to tell you that until you see one of these, you simply cannot understand what havoc it plays on the infrastructure we have all come to count on.

People are dying in KY, not because the people of KY are fools, but because conditions are changing much more rapidly that anyone can truly get prepared for.
that wasn't considered when it was Bush's fault that people were dieing

My post had nothing to do with the Bush administrations failings, DC.

It addressed the specious charge that the people of Kentucky have somehow failed to prepare for the weather.

Of course, since you elected to remind us of the failings of the Bush team, I cannot help but note that the difference between dealing with a disaster where we KNOW that millions of people are trapped by ice over an area of thousands of square miles, and NOT knowing that thousands of people are trapped in a sports stadium in New Orelans for days, is rather signficant, too, don't you think?

So really, now, DC... in your rush to make this issue a partisan one, what have you really done?

You have reminded us what a idiot you supported.

You showed us how willingly you'd rather cast aspersions on the victims of a natural disaster in Kentucy, if you think that might somehow mitigate the obvious failings of your hero during the New Orleans disaster.

In other words, DC, you just shot yourself in the foot which you'd already stuck in your mouth.

Last edited:
This was FYI the worst ice storm to hit KY in recorded history.

People typically do not prepare for events so beyond normal expectations.

For example, while it definitely makes sense to people to prepare for let's say a ten-year storm, it defintiely does not make ECONOMIC sense for people to prepare for a hundred-year storm.

And this is one of the problems we are probably facing globally because of climate change.

Assuming one believes that climate change is happening, the global weirding that comes with this change means that people cannot prepare adequately for events so far beyond the normal expectations we ALL have about our local weather outcomes.

Having been in one of those dramatic ice storms about ten years ago, one that hit Maine and Canada, I have just got to tell you that until you see one of these, you simply cannot understand what havoc it plays on the infrastructure we have all come to count on.

People are dying in KY, not because the people of KY are fools, but because conditions are changing much more rapidly that anyone can truly get prepared for.
that wasn't considered when it was Bush's fault that people were dieing

My post had nothing to do with the Bush administrations failings, DC.

It addressed the specious charge that the people of Kentucky have somehow failed to prepare for the weather.

Of course, since you elected to remind us of the failings of the Bush team, I cannot help but note that the difference between dealing with a disaster where we KNOW that millions of people are trapped by ice over an area of thousands of square miles, and NOT knowing that thousands of people are trapped in a sports stadium in New Orelans for days, is rather signficant, too, don't you think?

So really, now, DC... in your rush to make this issue a partisan one, what have you really done?

You have reminded us what a idiot you supported.

You showed us how willingly you'd rather cast aspersions on the victims of a natural disaster in Kentucy, if you think that might somehow mitigate the obvious failings of your hero during the New Orleans disaster.

In other words, DC, you just shot yourself in the foot which you'd already stuck in your mouth.
WRONG, MASSIVELY
FEMA did the exact same thing
its no different
you are the ones making it partisan so stop fucking LYING

Yep. I can tell from reading this thread that most people don't have a clue as to how the government works when a federal disaster is declared.

thye got Katrina right also
only you morons want to say differnt because you are too fucking stupid to see past your ABDS

You're a pathetic waste of sperm and egg that forged a human being. Filthy scum bag,when did they declare(louisana's governmental officials)a federal emergency?

Yeah, that's right. Shut your punk ass mouth, hippy.

You're a pathetic waste of sperm and egg that forged a human being. Filthy scum bag,when did they declare(louisana's governmental officials)a federal emergency?

Yeah, that's right. Shut your punk ass mouth, hippy.

LOL. Really don't like to be reminded of the idiot that you supported for eight years, now do you?

KATRINA TIMELINE

Friday, August 26GOV. KATHLEEN BLANCO DECLARES STATE OF EMERGENCY IN LOUISIANA [Office of the Governor]

GULF COAST STATES REQUEST TROOP ASSISTANCE FROM PENTAGON: At a 9/1 press conference, Lt. Gen. Russel Honoré, commander, Joint Task Force Katrina, said that the Gulf States began the process of requesting additional forces on Friday, 8/26. [DOD]

Saturday, August 27GOV. HALEY BARBOUR DECLARES STATE OF EMERGENCY IN MISSISSIPPI [Office of the Governor]

5AM CDT — KATRINA UPGRADED TO CATEGORY 3 HURRICANE [CNN]

GOV. BLANCO ASKS BUSH TO DECLARE FEDERAL STATE OF EMERGENCY IN LOUISIANA: “I have determined that this incident is of such severity and magnitude that effective response is beyond the capabilities of the State and affected local governments, and that supplementary Federal assistance is necessary to save lives, protect property, public health, and safety, or to lessen or avert the threat of a disaster.” [Office of the Governor]
FEDERAL EMERGENCY DECLARED, DHS AND FEMA GIVEN FULL AUTHORITY TO RESPOND TO KATRINA: “Specifically, FEMA is authorized to identify, mobilize, and provide at its discretion, equipment and resources necessary to alleviate the impacts of the emergency.” [White House]

Sunday, August 282AM CDT — KATRINA UPGRADED TO CATEGORY 4 HURRICANE [CNN]

7AM CDT — KATRINA UPGRADED TO CATEGORY 5 HURRICANE [CNN]

MORNING — LOUISIANA NEWSPAPER SIGNALS LEVEES MAY GIVE: “Forecasters Fear Levees Won’t Hold Katrina”: “Forecasters feared Sunday afternoon that storm driven waters will lap over the New Orleans levees when monster Hurricane Katrina pushes past the Crescent City tomorrow.” [Lafayette Daily Advertiser]

9:30 AM CDT — MAYOR NAGIN ISSUES FIRST EVER MANDATORY EVACUATION OF NEW ORLEANS: “We’re facing the storm most of us have feared,” said Nagin. “This is going to be an unprecedented event.” [Times-Picayune]

AFTERNOON — BUSH, BROWN, CHERTOFF WARNED OF LEVEE FAILURE BY NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER DIRECTOR: Dr. Max Mayfield, director of the National Hurricane Center: “‘We were briefing them way before landfall. … It’s not like this was a surprise. We had in the advisories that the levee could be topped.’” [Times-Picayune; St. Petersburg Times]

Think Progress » KATRINA TIMELINE

better source
and it shows that BLanco didnt do exactly what the other one claimed
she wouldnt allow the NATIONAL FEMA in she only allowed ther LA FEMA to run it
unlike the other states
you now should know where the problem was
but you will keep on believing it was Bush's fault

The Bush administration sent Governor Blanco a proposed legal memorandum asking her to request a federal takeover of the evacuation of New Orleans. Louisiana officials eventually rejected the request after talks throughout the night, concerned that such a move would be comparable to a federal declaration of martial law. [44]
Is this what you are talking about, dcon? I was shocked at the time that Bush at first refused to send help unless the federal government was granted authority over state and local law enforcement. A stupid ego stroking ploy on Bush's fault and unconstitutional. What a piker Bush was.

better source
unlike the other states

The Bush administration sent Governor Blanco a proposed legal memorandum asking her to request a federal takeover of the evacuation of New Orleans. Louisiana officials eventually rejected the request after talks throughout the night, concerned that such a move would be comparable to a federal declaration of martial law. [44]
Is this what you are talking about, dcon? I was shocked at the time that Bush at first refused to send help unless the federal government was granted authority over state and local law enforcement. A stupid ego stroking ploy on Bush's fault and unconstitutional. What a piker Bush was.
except that was standard procedure, and was done in the other states
it was Blanco that played the games

again you let your ABDS get in your way of the facts

Last edited:
better source
unlike the other states

No, it wasn't standard procedure at all.

No, it wasn't standard procedure at all.
prove it

Mississippi Republican Gov. Haley Barbour, who also testified before the panel, said the question of federalizing his state's National Guard never came up with the administration because he made it clear beforehand that he would not be amenable to such a suggestion.
http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/0206/020206cdpm1.htm

Jeb Bush, speaking against the Federal government tromping on state's rights:

This is why I can say with certainty that federalizing emergency response to catastrophic events would be a disaster as bad as Hurricane Katrina. The current system works when everyone understands, accepts and is willing to fulfill their responsibilities. Florida's system can be successful in states throught the nation, without the federal government stepping on state's rights. (Jeb Bush)
http://www.floridadisaster.org/documents/testimony_10-19-2005.pdf

Governor's resolution against making it legal for the president to undermine state's right:

http://www.csg.org/pubs/Documents/National%20Guard%20Resolution.pdf

The law that made it legal to undermine state's rights and it's repeal:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.R._5122_(2006)

btw, Hurricane Andrew....Bush I offered to federalize the emergency response and he was also turned down.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back