Palestine Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning from al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem. Have a blessed Friday.

72479508_2824404774245639_9117198237684465664_n.jpg
Wow...how beautiful :)

So much rich history in that one spot of the world :)

OMG. Isn't it SO beautiful when conquest, invasion, colonialism, and genocide create a "rich" tapestry of diverse cultures! Its so COOL when historic, native cultures are destroyed and new cultures are built upon the ruins! Yay! And everyone is equal there. No matter who conquered whom.

And the BEST is when we can post a photo of the diverse cultures in a specific place. Look at all the Jews and the Muslims praying together in peace and harmony! Such richness!

Oh wait. Jews aren't allowed there. Jews can't pray there. Jews can't worship there. Jews can't even hold symbols of Judaism there.

So much RICH history, as long as, you know, THOSE peoples history is erased and not allowed.

Journalist Mustafa Al-Kharouf meets his family following his release from Israeli jail after 9 months of detention, Givon prison, Ramle city. His detention came after the Israeli Ministry of Interior Affairs refused his application for family unification on alleged "security grounds", and ordered his immediate deportation to Jordan, where he has no legal rights to reside and will remain stateless. The photojournalist has been living in Jerusalem since 1999 and married to a Jerusalem resident and his father is Palestinian.

72778883_2760517677508283_2274613962702061568_o.jpg

OMG. Isn't it SO beautiful when conquest, invasion, colonialism, and genocide create a "rich" tapestry of diverse cultures! Its so COOL when historic, native cultures are destroyed and new cultures are built upon the ruins! Yay! And everyone is equal there. No matter who conquered whom.

And the BEST is when we can post a photo of the diverse cultures in a specific place. Look at all the Jews and the Muslims praying together in peace and harmony! Such richness!

Oh wait. Jews aren't allowed there. Jews can't pray there. Jews can't worship there. Jews can't even hold symbols of Judaism there.

So much RICH history, as long as, you know, THOSE peoples history is erased and not allowed.
Oh. Wow. I guess we are not allowed to admire the beautiful art and architecture of a something built 1,300 years ago. Thank for the timely reminder. Perhaps you can send us a list of historic artifacts, sites and buildings around the world we are not allowed to admire any more so none us make that horrible mistake of appreciating beauty again,

Thank you :)

Oh. Wow. I guess we are not allowed to admire the beautiful art and architecture of a something built 1,300 years ago. Thank for the timely reminder. Perhaps you can send us a list of historic artifacts, sites and buildings around the world we are not allowed to admire any more so none us make that horrible mistake of appreciating beauty again,

Or maybe you can provide a list of those we ARE allowed to admire (they would have no associations with conquest, abuse of people, slave labor, inequality, cultural conquest, and anything else you can think of to throw into the mix). That would be a much shorter list.

I’m sorry, were you commenting on the architecture? No, doesn’t seem like you were. What you were commenting on was the “rich history”.

It’s a history which at the moment excludes and erases the very people who began the history in the place. The “rich history” comes at the expense of the Jewish people.

Do you also celebrate taking a totem pole, and re-carving the Thunderbird into JC, putting it in a church and then excluding First Nations peoples from visiting it? But such a rich history!

Journalist Mustafa Al-Kharouf meets his family following his release from Israeli jail after 9 months of detention, Givon prison, Ramle city. His detention came after the Israeli Ministry of Interior Affairs refused his application for family unification on alleged "security grounds", and ordered his immediate deportation to Jordan, where he has no legal rights to reside and will remain stateless. The photojournalist has been living in Jerusalem since 1999 and married to a Jerusalem resident and his father is Palestinian.

72778883_2760517677508283_2274613962702061568_o.jpg

This is a mess involving a number of different citizenships and nationalities.

But Israel should just give him a residency permit, based on his Palestinian heritage and his marriage.

I’m sorry, were you commenting on the architecture? No, doesn’t seem like you were. What you were commenting on was the “rich history”.

It’s a history which at the moment excludes and erases the very people who began the history in the place. The “rich history” comes at the expense of the Jewish people.

Do you also celebrate taking a totem pole, and re-carving the Thunderbird into JC, putting it in a church and then excluding First Nations peoples from visiting it? But such a rich history!
Yes. I was commenting on the beauty of the ancient architecture. And yes. I was commenting in the rich history of the place. A hell of a lot of history has walked those lands. But obviously that can not be admired even though it was built 1300 years ago.

Again, it would be helpful if you could provide a list of acceptable architecture, art, history and cultures to comment on. You know, something that didnt involve conquest of prior cultures, slave labor, hunan rights abuses or any thing that is not acceptable today.

Yes. I was commenting on the beauty of the ancient architecture. And yes. I was commenting in the rich history of the place. A hell of a lot of history has walked those lands. But obviously that can not be admired even though it was built 1300 years ago.

Again, it would be helpful if you could provide a list of acceptable architecture, art, history and cultures to comment on. You know, something that didnt involve conquest of prior cultures, slave labor, hunan rights abuses or any thing that is not acceptable today.

Well, I don't know. How many religious and historical monuments are there in the world where the originating historical culture is PROHIBITED from accessing their own site in contravention of international humanitarian law and peace treaties because the conquering culture gets VIOLENT for having to share with the original culture?

Well, I don't know. How many religious and historical monuments are there in the world where the originating historical culture is PROHIBITED from accessing their own site in contravention of international humanitarian law and peace treaties because the conquering culture gets VIOLENT for having to share with the original culture?

You are really going apples and oranges here solely because I admired a beautiful photo (which doesnt mean I agree or admire the current situstion) and because I said the region had a rich heritage. Which it does independent of the current situation. It is part of the birthplace of civilizations but we can not even acknowledge that now.

The world is full of historical sites built upon older artifacts, for better or worse. If you are going to be consistent in your outrage you have a lengthy list of places, not to mention cultures including those the Jewish people themselves conquered and obliterated.

That doesnt excuse the modern inequity at all, but a beautiful building built 1300 years ago is itself also a historical artifact and there is nothing wrong with admiring it's beauty.

Beautiful Nazareth, occupied Palestine. Photo by Jamal Kiwan.

72845034_2824617270891056_3781603319831592960_n.jpg

Nazareth is located in Israel proper and not in the West Bank. Perhaps you are confusing Nazareth with Nablus. I told you this before...if you continue to call cities like Haifa, Tel Aviv or Nazareth "occupied Palestine", then you are not being serious about finding real solutions to the current problems and conflicts in Israel and Palestine.

You are really going apples and oranges here solely because I admired a beautiful photo (which doesnt mean I agree or admire the current situstion) and because I said the region had a rich heritage. Which it does independent of the current situation. It is part of the birthplace of civilizations but we can not even acknowledge that now.

The world is full of historical sites built upon older artifacts, for better or worse. If you are going to be consistent in your outrage you have a lengthy list of places, not to mention cultures including those the Jewish people themselves conquered and obliterated.

That doesnt excuse the modern inequity at all, but a beautiful building built 1300 years ago is itself also a historical artifact and there is nothing wrong with admiring it's beauty.

But you didn't "admire its beauty". You commented on the "rich history" of the place. And then proceeded to double down when challenged on it. And then tossed in your favourite fallacy "everybody does it". (Which is not true, btw. And it IS a violation of human rights as well as international agreements).

As an alternative, when posting about the Temple Mount, you could show some sensitivity for the Jewish people and how their human rights are currently being violated on the Temple Mount.

I understand that the post was likely innocent. But the continued arguing AFTER its been pointed out to be insensitive is not.

Nazareth is located in Israel proper and not in the West Bank. Perhaps you are confusing Nazareth with Nablus. I told you this before...if you continue to call cities like Haifa, Tel Aviv or Nazareth "occupied Palestine", then you are not being serious about finding real solutions to the current problems and conflicts in Israel and Palestine.

Tinmore will continue to argue that "Palestine" is "occupied" as long as there is Jewish self-determination and sovereignty in any square inch of the land.

finding real solutions to the current problems
Solution to what problem?

But you didn't "admire its beauty". You commented on the "rich history" of the place. And then proceeded to double down when challenged on it. And then tossed in your favourite fallacy "everybody does it". (Which is not true, btw. And it IS a violation of human rights as well as international agreements).

As an alternative, when posting about the Temple Mount, you could show some sensitivity for the Jewish people and how their human rights are currently being violated on the Temple Mount.

I understand that the post was likely innocent. But the continued arguing AFTER its been pointed out to be insensitive is not.

Frankly I don’t understand why you are attacking me on this and I am tired of it. My VERY FIRST COMMENT was “how beautiful”, that was my first statement, but I guess you overlooked it.

The area is rich in archaeology, history and beauty. You are lambasting me for two short, simple and honest statements. What the hell?

I don’t disagree with you on the fact that it is WRONG that Jews have LESS rights there, but that has nothing to do with admiring a beautiful ancient structure and the rich history of the area in general. Every statement must now be made with political/cultural minefields in mind? I support Jewish rights to worship there and frankly to take precedence as long as no one else’s rights are taken away, which they have not been. I have been in discussions with you on that.

But this is not something that should be a minefield, it is simply admiring something beautiful and ancient and sometimes a beautiful picture is just that, a beautiful picture. It sure would be nice to be able to honestly admire something without having to worry about cultural faux pas.

Nazareth is within Israel's 1948 borders and can in no way be considered under “occupation” or part of the West Bank.

Let Tinmore come up with the facts to dispute this. He can't. His ridiculous claims are from frustration and anger

finding real solutions to the current problems
Solution to what problem?
Conflict, violence against civilians, rights, recognition of the right to exist, self determination, access to resources, equitable distribution of resources....kind of a long list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back