Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Paul: I don't think McConnell has votes to pass healthcare bill now

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
It amazes me how Republicans keep letting themselves get hoodwinked every election with false promises

Paul said the real problem is that Republicans won elections on their promises to repeal ObamaCare.

"But this bill keeps most of the ObamaCare taxes, keeps most of the regulations, keeps most of the subsidies," he said. "And creates something that Republicans have never been for, and that's a giant insurance bailout superfund."

Truth be told they want single payer, but Obamacare has been the gift that keeps on giving for the GOP....I say they let it die a slow death but make no mistake they have no intention of pulling people off Medicaid. Even Krauthammer concedes single payer is coming

It amazes me how Republicans keep letting themselves get hoodwinked every election with false promises

Paul said the real problem is that Republicans won elections on their promises to repeal ObamaCare.

"But this bill keeps most of the ObamaCare taxes, keeps most of the regulations, keeps most of the subsidies," he said. "And creates something that Republicans have never been for, and that's a giant insurance bailout superfund."

I'm kinda pissed off every one of those stupid fucks got their job promising to repeal obiecare and now want to pass a new version of it.

It's simple. Do a repeal vote. Like you said you would.

The Employer Mandate kills the small business job market. The individual mandate penalty kills the laid-off. 7 months into Trump and now they are in another panic situation to miss some of their "vacation". kiss off RINO.

Last edited:

I can't really argue with the frustration with republicans, it is just that truth be told, Obamacare was designed to run a few years then fail miserably and collapse into single payer government run socialized care. Then the gov gets to decide if you live or die by how much you are worth to them. :(

The problem now is that once created as another entitlement program, people never want to give that up and there is no good, practical, feasible, affordable way of keeping it both as a broad entitlement, making quality high, and making it affordable, not without making insurance companies, doctors and hospitals work for peanuts.

Folks among the GOP have admitted that over the past 7 years, they voted 50 times to repeal Obamacare--- BECAUSE THAT WAS EASY. There was no chance such a bill would ever pass under Obama and frankly, they never thought Trump would get elected.

But that doesn't change the fact that Paul and the other holdouts need to look at the broader picture here and put away their idealism---- they just need to:

1. Repeal Obamacare
  2. Replace it with something a bit better, that solves some of the problems while stabilizing the industry.
It doesn't need to be perfect. They can always amend it in the future with further improvements. They need to pass something right now that solves the biggest and hoariest problems with Obamacare while not creating any major new problems, then they can move on to fix the tax code. Give the people some relief.

They need to get these things done not only for the good of the people and country, but if they don't, it will do serious harm to the image of the party and they have elections coming up next year. If they don't get some things done NOW and instead just keep vacillating, they are going to lose seats next year, people will get very discouraged, Trump will lose the ability to complete more of his mandate, and then healthcare never will get fixed.

This is the GOP's Big Show now, they've got the limelight. Paul and others better figure that out right now and make the most of it. A better healthcare system that addresses the worst of Obamacare and major tax reform and continued GOP leadership is 1000X better than no healthcare bill, no new tax code, broken promises, a languished impotent Congress, a totally squandered 2017 opportunity, and a resurgence of the democratic party in 2018. The GOP must deliver. They must pave a way for President Trump to keep moving forward on his promises.

BLOW IT AGAIN GOP, AND THIS IS THE LAST TIME I WILL EVER VOTE YOUR WAY AGAIN. You were given everything you asked for. You have no excuses. People like Rand Paul better wake the fuck up. Life is one big compromise and he might be 100% right, but he better learn right now that he's not going to bend the world to suit him.

I can't really argue with the frustration with republicans, it is just that truth be told, Obamacare was designed to run a few years then fail miserably and collapse into single payer government run socialized care. Then the gov gets to decide if you live or die by how much you are worth to them. :(

The problem now is that once created as another entitlement program, people never want to give that up and there is no good, practical, feasible, affordable way of keeping it both as a broad entitlement, making quality high, and making it affordable, not without making insurance companies, doctors and hospitals work for peanuts.

Folks among the GOP have admitted that over the past 7 years, they voted 50 times to repeal Obamacare--- BECAUSE THAT WAS EASY. There was no chance such a bill would ever pass under Obama and frankly, they never thought Trump would get elected.

But that doesn't change the fact that Paul and the other holdouts need to look at the broader picture here and put away their idealism---- they just need to:

1. Repeal Obamacare
  2. Replace it with something a bit better, that solves some of the problems while stabilizing the industry.
It doesn't need to be perfect. They can always amend it in the future with further improvements. They need to pass something right now that solves the biggest and hoariest problems with Obamacare while not creating any major new problems, then they can move on to fix the tax code. Give the people some relief.

They need to get these things done not only for the good of the people and country, but if they don't, it will do serious harm to the image of the party and they have elections coming up next year. If they don't get some things done NOW and instead just keep vacillating, they are going to lose seats next year, people will get very discouraged, Trump will lose the ability to complete more of his mandate, and then healthcare never will get fixed.

This is the GOP's Big Show now, they've got the limelight. Paul and others better figure that out right now and make the most of it. A better healthcare system that addresses the worst of Obamacare and major tax reform and continued GOP leadership is 1000X better than no healthcare bill, no new tax code, broken promises, a languished impotent Congress, a totally squandered 2017 opportunity, and a resurgence of the democratic party in 2018. The GOP must deliver. They must pave a way for President Trump to keep moving forward on his promises.

BLOW IT AGAIN GOP, AND THIS IS THE LAST TIME I WILL EVER VOTE YOUR WAY AGAIN. You were given everything you asked for. You have no excuses. People like Rand Paul better wake the fuck up. Life is one big compromise and he might be 100% right, but he better learn right now that he's not going to bend the world to suit him.
I think your " built to fail " argument isn't more than a cheap talking point. It was a plan that tried to help the most vulnerable but lacked fiscal responsibility and had a very sloppy roll out... however it had and still has the ability to be amended and tweaked and improved. There has never been a bipartisan attempt to fix the areas that were not working. A lot of empty promises and political posturing from the right to do something that they obviously were not prepared to do.

The intention of Obama-care was to make health insurance costs skyrocket and make health care worse. That way the people will say, "see, we need single-payer". Then they will demand the government give them single-payer. Then we'll get it, and the quality of health care will drop big time. Then people will buy their own health insurance on top of the "free health insurance" which they are already paying for through taxes. Just like in Germany.

The intention of Obama-care was to make health insurance costs skyrocket and make health care worse. That way the people will say, "see, we need single-payer". Then they will demand the government give them single-payer. Then we'll get it, and the quality of health care will drop big time. Then people will buy their own health insurance on top of the "free health insurance" which they are already paying for through taxes. Just like in Germany.
We should believe you just because you said so??

What's more likely the scenario you just painted or the fact that we had a healthcare system in need of serious reform. People with preexisting conditions were getting screwed. Crap plans were being sold that gave insurers too many loophole to not provide coverage. The poor had trouble getting coverage so they used the ER as their doctors office. A high percentage of kids out of college didnt have coverage and put their future and the welfare of their families in jeapordy if they got sick or in an accident.... maybe, just maybe the ACA was made to try and address these, plus many more very real problems.

Yes, you should, because I am always right about these things.

I have never heard of the Senate having to postpone a vote because one senator was out on a brief medical leave.
McConnell had better start passing out vitamins and castor oil to all 49 that are still on his side. If anyone gets a case of the shits, or a bad cold, THIS VOTE COULD TAKE TIL SEPTEMBER!

Yes, you should, because I am always right about these things.
That's funny

really, the GOP should put Senator Paul in charge of crafting a healthcare bill...he is a doctor from a family of doctors.
He has crafted a plan... nobody in congress is taking it seriously
that speaks pretty badly of congress
Senator Paul is a very intelligent Libertarian who wants something the majority of the country opposes. Healthcare if a big deal to little people and there are a lot of little people in this country. YOU guys brought this up; it could have been fixed long ago if you would have allowed it. It looks to me as if you may be forced to fix it with bipartisan input after all.

really, the GOP should put Senator Paul in charge of crafting a healthcare bill...he is a doctor from a family of doctors.
He has crafted a plan... nobody in congress is taking it seriously
that speaks pretty badly of congress
Senator Paul is a very intelligent Libertarian who wants something the majority of the country opposes. Healthcare if a big deal to little people and there are a lot of little people in this country. YOU guys brought this up; it could have been fixed long ago if you would have allowed it. It looks to me as if you may be forced to fix it with bipartisan input after all.
well I'll be damned, we are on the same page as far as this. I like Rand's dad better(actually got to meet him), but Rand is solid(voted for him in the primary)

Forum List

Back