Pay Cut For Congress: Yea Or Nay?

Pay Cut For Congress

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
from what I can find they only pay taxes on their official salary.

OTOH, they also have no deductions to claim.

(they also get free postal, all you can eat.)

Nice, all that extra, tax-free money and no need to account for and document what they are really spending it on. And nothing to worry about as they contemplate which deductions for everyone else should be eliminated to increase tax revenue.

Congressional pay is tax free?

Making stuff up as you go along?

Actually their travel is different. What you are missing is most all their expenses are paid for. I stated their salaries are pretty much walking money. Not their expense accounts.

Their official expenses are paid for, as they should be

Salaries are not walking money. You still have to pay for two residences, one of which is in high cost Washington as well as all other family related expenses

Why does a residence have to be high cost as you say?

I'm sure a few politicians could rent an apartment and share expenses.

If they don't like the pay they can get another job.

Are you truly this naïve and clueless or are you intentionally being obtuse?

Actually their travel is different. What you are missing is most all their expenses are paid for. I stated their salaries are pretty much walking money. Not their expense accounts.

Salaries are not walking money. You still have to pay for two residences, one of which is in high cost Washington as well as all other family related expenses

Many of them do share housing. And, they've always got to consider security. After all, they ARE important members of the Government and that makes them legitimate targets for terrorist's, kidnapper's and screwballs like the one who shot Gabby Giffords.

Many of them do share housing. And, they've always got to consider security. After all, they ARE important members of the Government and that makes them legitimate targets for terrorist's, kidnapper's and screwballs like the one who shot Gabby Giffords.

That makes it even more imperative that they be sequestered in housing or dorms located in access-controlled compounds...just like military families. That would certainly make security far less expensive to the taxpayer.

That makes it even more imperative that they be sequestered in housing or dorms located in access-controlled compounds...just like military families. That would certainly make security far less expensive to the taxpayer.

:clap2: That was my idea -- dorms.

Hell, dorms? Military?... let's just go all the way and make it like a prison. They could have visitations through a glass window provided the visitor is both a constituent and not a lobbyist. Other than that, give 'em a cell, free gummint food and free gummint exercise yard, especially for fat cats. Eat, sleep and breathe Constitution, no kickbacks.

Let's see how many of 'em run for re-election then. The ones that do will be the ones worth keeping.

The issue has nothing to do with congressional pay, but the failure of voters to hold elected representatives accountable.

Whatever the perceived failures of Congress, the blame lies with the voters.

Cutting pay means that there will be more ultra rich people or semi lobbyists looking for the office.

Unlike now, when all we have running is ultra rich lobbyists?

The less they do, the more the People benefit. They're just doing too much these days. Our Government was never intended to completely rule Citizens' lives from womb to tomb. Big Government is just way too big. A smaller and less intrusive Government is the logical way forward. I just hope more Citizens begin to realize that. This Police State is only growing larger and more oppressive by the day.

Hell, dorms? Military?... let's just go all the way and make it like a prison. They could have visitations through a glass window provided the visitor is both a constituent and not a lobbyist. Other than that, give 'em a cell, free gummint food and free gummint exercise yard, especially for fat cats. Eat, sleep and breathe Constitution, no kickbacks.

Let's see how many of 'em run for re-election then. The ones that do will be the ones worth keeping.

I'm agreeing with you.
In addition to nicely appointed and comfortable dorms I suggest a nice dayroom so they can entertain guests and each other. Oh, and let's not forget a conveniently situated dining facility that provides only the best, government approved menu selections.

So hard to fathom why so many want Government dominating their lives. Is it all about the Freebies? Is it years & years of indoctrination conditioning? Or is it a combination of the two?

At $177,000 a year

They are underpaid

The pay is incidental. Congressional posts, especially in the Senate, are coveted largely for the access to power and knowledge of the inside game. Ex-elected officials often make fortunes by using this access and knowledge for the benefit of clients and employers. They sell their "pull" in the market place.

It's corrupt, rigged game...and we pay for it.

At $177,000 a year

They are underpaid

The pay is incidental. Congressional posts, especially in the Senate, are coveted largely for the access to power and knowledge of the inside game. Ex-elected officials often make fortunes by using this access and knowledge for the benefit of clients and employers. They sell their "pull" in the market place.

It's like athletes. They make their real money from endorsements.

At $177,000 a year

They are underpaid

It's like athletes. They make their real money from endorsements.

With one major difference. Athlete's sell their image in a voluntary market place. Ex-Elected officials sell access to taxpayers' money, with a large portion of those taxpayers being opposed to how how that money is funneled to the benefit of government cronies.

I'm agreeing with you.
In addition to nicely appointed and comfortable dorms I suggest a nice dayroom so they can entertain guests and each other. Oh, and let's not forget a conveniently situated dining facility that provides only the best, government approved menu selections.

Yup, free gummint food is part of the concept. Completely cloistered. But let's not overdo the luxuries; I'd like it spartan and spare, just the basics. I want my legislator hungry... so that the only reason they have to run again is the actual interests of the People, and not Numero Uno.

Forum List

Back