Pay Cut For Congress: Yea Or Nay?

Pay Cut For Congress

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We only know of Pelosi's overt wealth. She plays footsie with liars and obfuscators and is one herself. The truth may not be pretty as her "millions" when she is gaining wealth for others, who's to know if there are any kickbacks going into a numbered account somewhere "just in case" someone lights a fire under journalists to cough up the whole truth for a change. I'd go light on Paulitician. He's a no-nonsense man and doesn't want to take a chance if gut instincts cannot be proved. When you have one party pushing omerta, only the silent know for sure. Those saying they are gonna tell may wish to end it all like Hill Clinton's man, Vincent Foster, rather than get reamed as a traitor by a lying, obfuscating press owing their success to the carrot sticks distributed by the DNC omerta boys and girls.

Pelosi's wealth comes from her husband.

Could you please not let your mouth run ahead of your brain?

Her husband has an uncanny ability to invest in things that suddenly turn profitable after his wife does something to help them. I am sure that is simply a coincidence, but I remind you that the law that prohibited Congress from profiting from insider knowledge was not passed until after Boehner became Speaker. Not that he wanted to pass it either, but it took that long for people to become outraged.

Of course you have ready examples to link to?

We only know of Pelosi's overt wealth. She plays footsie with liars and obfuscators and is one herself. The truth may not be pretty as her "millions" when she is gaining wealth for others, who's to know if there are any kickbacks going into a numbered account somewhere "just in case" someone lights a fire under journalists to cough up the whole truth for a change. I'd go light on Paulitician. He's a no-nonsense man and doesn't want to take a chance if gut instincts cannot be proved. When you have one party pushing omerta, only the silent know for sure. Those saying they are gonna tell may wish to end it all like Hill Clinton's man, Vincent Foster, rather than get reamed as a traitor by a lying, obfuscating press owing their success to the carrot sticks distributed by the DNC omerta boys and girls.

Pelosi's wealth comes from her husband.

Could you please not let your mouth run ahead of your brain?

Her husband has an uncanny ability to invest in things that suddenly turn profitable after his wife does something to help them.
I am sure that is simply a coincidence, but I remind you that the law that prohibited Congress from profiting from insider knowledge was not passed until after Boehner became Speaker. Not that he wanted to pass it either, but it took that long for people to become outraged.

my local here sent Diane Feinstein a letter getting on her about how she told them (the P.O.) she would back them about Sat Del. and Postal facilities closing.....and they come to find out her Husband is making some big bucks in the selling of the Real Estate....she answered them.....but nicely never mentioned her husband making money selling the stuff off.....nice huh?.....

Since January 1, 2009, the compensation for most Representatives and Senators has been
$174,000. Compensation for the Speaker of the House is $223,500, while the President pro
tempore of the Senate and the majority and minority leaders in the House and Senate receive a salary of $193,400.
The three components result in a single MRA authorization for each Representative that can be
used to pay for any of the official expenses. Allowances are authorized from January 3 of each
year through January 2 of the following year. These allowances are authorized in statute and are
regulated and adjusted by the Committee on House Administration. Funding is provided under a
single appropriations heading, “Members’ Representational Allowances,” within the House
account “Salaries and Expenses.”
On January 6, 2011, the House agreed to H.Res. 22, which reduced each Member’s authorized
level for 2011 and 2012 by 5% from the 2010 level. The 2011 allowances range from $1,356,975
to $1,671,596, with an average MRA of $1,446,009.10

Not to mention, health, life and retirement benefits.

That $174,000 is simply free income as everything else is basically paid for through their expenses.

And of course we all know there are other perks as well such as travel allowance.

Are those allowances taxable? What a wonderful way to avoid paying taxes.

from what I can find they only pay taxes on their official salary.

OTOH, they also have no deductions to claim.

(they also get free postal, all you can eat.)

its not free Synth.....they have to pay.....BUT they pay real low rates and the stuff has to be treated like first class during an Election.....AND they abuse the hell out of that.....its definitely not worth it for the PO.....the OT alone to handle their shit is ridiculous....

On Thursday, Mega-Millionaire House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) said she was against cutting Congressional pay because it would undermine the dignity of her job. But what do you all think?

I think her and the performance of most every other member of congress has already shot any dignity all to hell. What's left to undermine?

At $177,000 a year

They are underpaid

Since January 1, 2009, the compensation for most Representatives and Senators has been
$174,000. Compensation for the Speaker of the House is $223,500, while the President pro
tempore of the Senate and the majority and minority leaders in the House and Senate receive a salary of $193,400.
The three components result in a single MRA authorization for each Representative that can be
used to pay for any of the official expenses. Allowances are authorized from January 3 of each
year through January 2 of the following year. These allowances are authorized in statute and are
regulated and adjusted by the Committee on House Administration. Funding is provided under a
single appropriations heading, “Members’ Representational Allowances,” within the House
On January 6, 2011, the House agreed to H.Res. 22, which reduced each Member’s authorized
level for 2011 and 2012 by 5% from the 2010 level. The 2011 allowances range from $1,356,975

That $174,000 is simply free income as everything else is basically paid for through their expenses.

And of course we all know there are other perks as well such as travel allowance.

That expense allowance isn't just for their personal use. Out of that comes all their office expenses, including salaries for their staff, and to pay for trips back home to meet with constituents. In some cases, foreign trips come out of that too. It's not just a million and half bucks to stick in their pockets.

Actually their travel is different. What you are missing is most all their expenses are paid for. I stated their salaries are pretty much walking money. Not their expense accounts.

That expense allowance isn't just for their personal use. Out of that comes all their office expenses, including salaries for their staff, and to pay for trips back home to meet with constituents. In some cases, foreign trips come out of that too. It's not just a million and half bucks to stick in their pockets.

Actually their travel is different. What you are missing is most all their expenses are paid for. I stated their salaries are pretty much walking money. Not their expense accounts.

Their official expenses are paid for, as they should be

Salaries are not walking money. You still have to pay for two residences, one of which is in high cost Washington as well as all other family related expenses

I'm absolutely fine with cutting pay for congress a fair bit.
I think it should be tied to how many full weeks they work. Not how many days they work, which would push against them going home to their districts.

Make it how many full 5 day weeks, and then they can schedule a week off ever 6 weeks, 8 weeks, whatever they decide.

They should be paid by the people they represent not by the country as a whole.

Why should I pay a senator or congress critter from another state? I can't vote against him so I should not pay his salary.

Salaries are not walking money. You still have to pay for two residences, one of which is in high cost Washington as well as all other family related expenses

They can live at a fleabag hotel instead of paying for a high price house, they just don't want to lower themselves to being with the common folks.

They can live at a fleabag hotel instead of paying for a high price house, they just don't want to lower themselves to being with the common folks.

They could live in the back of an old Buick

Eat roadkill

Eat roadkill

People have done that before, they survived. Other than your delusion that they actually work hard you haven't shown me any reason they need a house on the DC area.

Eat roadkill

People have done that before, they survived. Other than your delusion that they actually work hard you haven't shown me any reason they need a house on the DC area.

Maybe because that is where they work?

Priced hotels in DC lately?

Why does a residence have to be high cost as you say?

I'm sure a few politicians could rent an apartment and share expenses.

If they don't like the pay they can get another job.

Nice, all that extra, tax-free money and no need to account for and document what they are really spending it on. And nothing to worry about as they contemplate which deductions for everyone else should be eliminated to increase tax revenue.

The issue has nothing to do with congressional pay, but the failure of voters to hold elected representatives accountable.

Whatever the perceived failures of Congress, the blame lies with the voters.

Cutting pay means that there will be more ultra rich people or semi lobbyists looking for the office.

Forum List

Back