🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Pelosi Suggests Delaying State of the Union

"he may, on extraordinary Occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in Case of Disagreement between them, with Respect to the Time of Adjournment, he may adjourn them to such Time as he shall think proper"

It looks he can go to Congress whenever he wants, by just mentioning word "extraordinary".

Enough with the friendly fire. If he can go whenever he wants, its not extraordinary now is it?

Normally, Presidents do not get disinvited by the Speaker, that is already making it extraordinary enough.

It's also extraordinary because Trump did a partial shutdown of the government.

Anyone ever consider the fact that Secret Service is part of Homeland Security, and those people have been working for the past month without pay? Of course Pelosi said that there is a possible security breach. People who have bills to pay are more susceptible to bribery and the like when they aren't getting paid. The chances of a SS agent getting bribed to breach security is kinda high.

Trump should just do what other presidents have done and submit it to Congress via written letter.

That's what left prefer him to do, so they avoid giving him national attention where he can public ally call them out, one by one.

Technically, since Trump issued EO for back pay, they're not working for free, their paycheck is just delayed.

Yeah, I know, their paycheck is just delayed. But, I went through the shutdown in the mid 90's, and know that having a check delayed can be a hassle, especially when you live paycheck to paycheck (like most govt employees). Are their landlords going to be willing to wait? Can the hunger pangs wait until they get paid?

IMO, the the government employees are paid on average much more than average Joe. They have job security, something that private sector employees don't have, they work less, and they have much better benefits and raises that are guaranteed annually. I don't think they should be complaining in situations like that, since it comes with their job description. Having said that, if they don't have savings for situations like that, whose fault is it?

Are landlords willing to wait? I would say, most are, since this is temporary issue. Most of banks and credit cards are issuing interest free loans for furloughed federal employees, so they're not loosing anything, I'd say. They should do exactly the same thing we (the private sector workers) are expected to do in the situations like that, and I believe we are far more at risk to get in it that they are.

There are many researches on the topic, and here is one of them.

upload_2019-1-21_23-32-53.png

upload_2019-1-21_23-33-15.png

Latest study on federal compensation puts public, private pay gap at widest margin yet

SOTU was a written letter to Congress for a very long time.

Correct. President can write the letter. Or may just deliver SOTU speech on the House floor, as Constitution allows him. Speaker have no power over constitutional rights.

No, the Constitution says nothing about delivering a speech in House chambers. This is why the Speaker's office issues the President an invitation to appear.

"he may, on extraordinary Occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in Case of Disagreement between them, with Respect to the Time of Adjournment, he may adjourn them to such Time as he shall think proper"

It looks he can go to Congress whenever he wants, by just mentioning word "extraordinary".
The “State of the Union” address is not an “extraordinary occasion,” it’s a regular occasion.

Where I said it has to be "State of the Union" address? He can have "extraordinary" emergency address to Congress, and demand every Congressman and Senator to be there, just to deliver "extraordinary occasion" speech, just as Constitution allows him to.
We’re not talking about an emergency address. Pelosi didn’t uninvite him from giving an emergency address. We’re talking about the state of the union address.... that’s not an extraordinary occasion. Being attacked by another nation is an extraordinary occasion. A devastating natural disaster could be an extraordinary occasion. A regular occurrence like the state of the union address is not an extraordinary occasion. Nor does it become one because his widdle feewings are hurt and he wants to one up Pelosi.

Correct. President can write the letter. Or may just deliver SOTU speech on the House floor, as Constitution allows him. Speaker have no power over constitutional rights.

No, the Constitution says nothing about delivering a speech in House chambers. This is why the Speaker's office issues the President an invitation to appear.

The “State of the Union” address is not an “extraordinary occasion,” it’s a regular occasion.

Where I said it has to be "State of the Union" address? He can have "extraordinary" emergency address to Congress, and demand every Congressman and Senator to be there, just to deliver "extraordinary occasion" speech, just as Constitution allows him to.
We’re not talking about an emergency address. Pelosi didn’t uninvite him from giving an emergency address. We’re talking about the state of the union address.... that’s not an extraordinary occasion. Being attacked by another nation is an extraordinary occasion. A devastating natural disaster could be an extraordinary occasion. A regular occurrence like the state of the union address is not an extraordinary occasion. Nor does it become one because his widdle feewings are are and he wants to one up Pelosi.

We have found the common ground here.

With some reserve I agree that she can deny SOTU on the Congress floor, but she cannot deny him right to address the Congress. What I was saying in all posts above, he can find reason to adjourn the Congress, and government shutdown is a good enough reason to use for, if he wants to.

We’re not talking about an emergency address. Pelosi didn’t uninvite him from giving an emergency address. We’re talking about the state of the union address.... that’s not an extraordinary occasion. Being attacked by another nation is an extraordinary occasion. A devastating natural disaster could be an extraordinary occasion. A regular occurrence like the state of the union address is not an extraordinary occasion. Nor does it become one because his widdle feewings are are and he wants to one up Pelosi.

With some reserve I agree that she can deny SOTU on the Congress floor, but she cannot deny him right to address the Congress. What I was saying in all posts above, he can find reason to adjourn the Congress, and government shutdown is a good enough reason to use for, if he wants to.
Sure he can, but not for the state of the union address. For an “extraordinary occasion.”

Sure he can, but not for the state of the union address. For an “extraordinary occasion.”

You know, he can go there for an "extraordinary occasion" and deliver the SOTU address. They don't get to see what's in the speech until they hear it. :D

You know, he can go there for an "extraordinary occasion" and deliver the SOTU address. They don't get to see what's in the speech until they hear it. :D
LOLOL

So you think he can lie to the nation to fool the Congress into allowing him into the House Chamber??

:lmao:

Just how desperate do you think he is?

LOLOL

So you think he can lie to the nation to fool the Congress into allowing him into the House Chamber??

Who said he would be lying? Government shutdown is an "extraordinary occasion", that he can use to deliver the speech.

Any speech.

LOLOL

Who said he would be lying? Government shutdown is an "extraordinary occasion", that he can use to deliver the speech.

Any speech.
You said he would. You said he could convene both chambers of Congress under the guise of an “extraordinary occasion,” which the state of union address is not, but then use that trick to then deliver the state of the union.

You think he’s that desperate to stand on the dais of the House chamber?

I like the idea of him hosting the State of the Union address in a venue of his choice and issuing invitations to the Congressmembers that they can come hear it, or not if they're "too afraid", but making it clear that their presence and cooperation isn't necessary. After all, so long as he sends a transcript of it to their offices afterward, his Constitutional duty is fulfilled.

And since it's HIS party, they don't get to do their usual, nauseating song and dance of inviting various meat puppets to accompany them for virtue-signaling purposes.

No.

First of all, Pelosi lied that is security issue, since she hasn't check neither with Secret Service, or DHS can they provide the security, which they both stated it wouldn't be an issue.

Second, according to the Constitution, Article 2, Section 3. State of the Union, Convening Congress:

"He shall (President) from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient; he may, on extraordinary Occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in Case of Disagreement between them, with Respect to the Time of Adjournment, he may adjourn them to such Time as he shall think proper; he shall receive Ambassadors and other public Ministers; he shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed, and shall Commission all the Officers of the United States."

... President is within his constitutional rights, and Pelosi has no right to deny him a SOTU.

Does the phrase "abuse of power" ring any bells with you? The President is not a king or a dictator, and it would be utterly inappropriate to invoke this power just so he can make a speech.

He doesn't have a "right to address Congress". As a conservative Republican, I would actually support bringing Articles of Impeachment against him for abuse of power in invoking this clause of the Constitution to deliver this speech.

And then they get to impeach him for abusing his power. What a grand idea.

LOLOL

Any speech.

Government shutdown is not an extraordinary occasion. It happens every two years or so.

No.

First of all, Pelosi lied that is security issue, since she hasn't check neither with Secret Service, or DHS can they provide the security, which they both stated it wouldn't be an issue.

Second, according to the Constitution, Article 2, Section 3. State of the Union, Convening Congress:

"He shall (President) from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient; he may, on extraordinary Occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in Case of Disagreement between them, with Respect to the Time of Adjournment, he may adjourn them to such Time as he shall think proper; he shall receive Ambassadors and other public Ministers; he shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed, and shall Commission all the Officers of the United States."

... President is within his constitutional rights, and Pelosi has no right to deny him a SOTU.

Does the phrase "abuse of power" ring any bells with you? The President is not a king or a dictator, and it would be utterly inappropriate to invoke this power just so he can make a speech.

Having constitutional authority to adjourn the Congress, in case of disagreement between them, or in extraordinary occasions, is not abuse of power. Now tell me, for what other purposes he can adjourn the Congress, other than deliver the speech?

He doesn't have a "right to address Congress". As a conservative Republican, I would actually support bringing Articles of Impeachment against him for abuse of power in invoking this clause of the Constitution to deliver this speech.

The Constitution says otherwise, he may address the Congress in certain cases.

What power would he abuse?

LOLOL

Any speech.

Government shutdown is not an extraordinary occasion. It happens every two years or so.

Than whats the fuzz to reopen it, if is completely normal thing?

Keep it shut for as much I am concerned.

Having constitutional authority to adjourn the Congress, in case of disagreement between them, or in extraordinary occasions, is not abuse of power. Now tell me, for what other purposes he can adjourn the Congress, other than deliver the speech?

If you think the Constitution gave the President the power to convene or adjourn Congress to be used for petty political crap like "You won't let me make a speech", you're insane. The President is not a king, and Congress is a separate branch of the government, completely equal to the President and the Executive Branch, not subjects to be ordered around.

You need to pull your head out of your ass and stop squirming around, trying to play Mr. Clever and think up some new way to twist the Constitution to give you a "win".

The Constitution says otherwise, he may address the Congress in certain cases.

Where does the Constitution say anything about him addressing Congress, let alone your lunatic plan for him to march around giving orders like some banana-republic dictator?

What power would he abuse?

I won't deny that you really are particularly obtuse at the moment, but don't even descend into left-think and pretend that you need the damned conversation entirely recapped for you every single post because you magically forgot the topic. I will treat you exactly like I do the leftists and assume that it means you're just too damned dumb to deserve to discuss it.

You can either sack up, or you can admit that your little plan has been full of shit from the start. Pick one.

Forum List

Back