Petition to Put an End to Teachers' Unions in Public Education!

Cost of putting all these kids in private school would be inexcess of $35,000/yr.

Exactly! That's what happens when government controls a large segment of any market...the costs from all providers SKYROCKETS. It's true for education just as it is for healthcare. Used to be the case in airline travel too...before deregulation...now I can fly from San Diego to San Francisco for less than a bus ticket. Get the government OUT of running education and competition would increase dramatically driving costs down....I a frickin' guarantee you results would improve dramatically.

Cost of putting all these kids in private school would be inexcess of $35,000/yr.

Exactly! That's what happens when government controls a large segment of any market...the costs from all providers SKYROCKETS. It's true for education just as it is for healthcare. Used to be the case in airline travel too...before deregulation...now I can fly from San Diego to San Francisco for less than a bus ticket. Get the government OUT of running education and competition would increase dramatically driving costs down....I a frickin' guarantee you results would improve dramatically.
If you have any real interest in a better education for our kids, stop jousting windmills and start helping your local schools. Schools all over the country are cutting staff positions and programs. In my grandson's school, there is no longer a music or an art teacher. The library is only open two days a week because the library position is now part time. There are no teacher's aids and the state says new budget cuts will increase class size two to three students per class.

If you have any real interest in a better education for our kids, stop jousting windmills and start helping your local schools. Schools all over the country are cutting staff positions and programs. In my grandson's school, there is no longer a music or an art teacher. The library is only open two days a week because the library position is now part time. There are no teacher's aids and the state says new budget cuts will increase class size two to three students per class.

The best way to help your kids is take them out of the government indoctrination centers and home school them or send them to private school. Government schools cannot be salvaged. The sole purpose of the Teacher's union is to prevent teachers and schools from being accountable. The system can't be reformed, only abolished.

Just Imagine getting an Appendectomy or Hernia Operation, bidding on E-Bay, Orbits, or Travelocity. :razz: :razz: :razz:

The best way to help your kids is take them out of the government indoctrination centers and home school them or send them to private school. Government schools cannot be salvaged. The sole purpose of the Teacher's union is to prevent teachers and schools from being accountable. The system can't be reformed, only abolished.

Charter Schools. :):):):):)

Petition Text: In the Spirit of Democracy, Independence and Authentic Progressivism, the People of the United States remain to be skeptical on America's Future. There have been program initiatives for many years to better our children's circumstances from the tyranny of the Teachers' Unions. In all disrespect, We the People are frustrated with these program initiatives because quite frankly, they do not work. There have been an increase of funding towards this system but it failed to improve our circumstance as well, this is due to the nature of the contracts by the Teachers' Unions. Greed. We the People hereby petition the Obama Administration to take full initiative in eliminating such unions from this public service, namely "Public Education".

Sign the Petition: http://wh.gov/Tu2

Why?

1. Public Education is a Public Service Career.
  2. Public Education Receives Thousands to Millions of Dollars on a Monthly Basis.
  3. Program Initiatives like "Race to the Top" or "No Child Left Behind" Don't Work.
  4. Teachers' Benefits are Extraodinary Because It's State (Federal) Owned.

Sources:

True Costs of Public Education (From YouTube)
True Costs of Public Education (From Washington Post)

Reason one is irrelevant. Reason two is irrelevant and seems to be way too low (the US spends billions, not thousands or millions on public education every month). Reasons three and four are highly debatable (for example, private school teachers seem to receive more overall compensation than public school teachers, so it's not clear in what way public teachers' benefits are "[E]xtraordinary").

I hope you realize there are reasons other than your non-celebrity that people are declining to sign your petition.

Look at the quality... Teachers unions need to agree to get red of tenure or they will be disbanded by outsiders. It may take awhile, and I think you will never see it but peopel are waking up to public sector unions. Especially those that protect unproductivity and waste.

I come from a family of teachers who dislike the union, and see the attitudes he was illustrating in point 4. I don't think they are a bad thing but too many people get into teaching for the benefits and summers off. Why is that if that is why you do it, and why you do not put your all into it those can't be stripped? aka fired

Teaching is a tough job, and just because it is also a noble one does not mean we can give everyone a pass who goes into it. It's a lot like office except we have seen that for what it is. It attracts both great people and those seeking to be treated as such. The job reveals the real from the fraud but you can't do anything about that.

The problem is we haven't thrown enough money at public schools? I don't think so.

If the business of education were left to the marketplace, you'd have schools offering all kinds of extra programs...and some that focused just on the three Rs...your choice, which is really what it's all about, choice. You don't get choice with the government running the show, you get mediocrity and skyrocketing costs.

The problem is we haven't thrown enough money at public schools? I don't think so.

If the business of education were left to the marketplace, you'd have schools offering all kinds of extra programs...and some that focused just on the three Rs...your choice, which is really what it's all about, choice. You don't get choice with the government running the show, you get mediocrity and skyrocketing costs.

ABOLISH DOE...post haste.

Where has education ever been made better by paying teachers less and making their jobs a less attractive career choice?

Everywhere. There's no correlation between government spending on education and student performance. None.

That's a teacher union myth.

Name some places then. Specifically. Show us how you get better teachers by paying them less and taking away their benefits and workplace protections, etc.

Show the actual examples.

If you have any real interest in a better education for our kids, stop jousting windmills and start helping your local schools.

Which would indicate the right has no interest in better education.
True. Improving education in America is not a priority with the Right. The priority is is to reduce the size of the US government to such a point that it is weak and ineffective and abolishing public education in favor of a free market system which will penalize kids from poor families.

The results have not been impressive so far.

Government educates citizens because only an educated citizenry can participate effectively in a democracy. It is a fundamental necessity. Contracting it out to the private sector is going to be like hiring mercenaries. You just don't get the same results.

Where has education ever been made better by paying teachers less and making their jobs a less attractive career choice?

Everywhere. There's no correlation between government spending on education and student performance. None.

Name some places then. Specifically. Show us how you get better teachers by paying them less and taking away their benefits and workplace protections, etc.

NYC Private Schools compliment the Public Schools and do work very well. Charter Schools are very effective here too. All the Systems benefit, the Kids most of all. You guys are chasing Windmills here. You should not be so down on Reform.

NYC Private Schools compliment the Public Schools and do work very well. Charter Schools are very effective here too. All the Systems benefit, the Kids most of all. You guys are chasing Windmills here. You should not be so down on Reform.
That is if Cabonated will GIVE UP Unions and thier mantra...Good luck with that...

The problem is that public schools must take EVERYONE. School choice is a wonderful thing if the schools can also choose.

Private/Charter schools can pick their students and get rid of them easily if they do not follow rules/ maintain grades, etc. And the nature of the parents is hands-on. If NYC schools are like here, parents have to sign a CONTRACT to dedicate a minimum number of volunteer hours to their child's private school each month. They don't help out, their child is disenrolled.

The problem is that public schools must take EVERYONE. School choice is a wonderful thing if the schools can also choose.

It's not "The Promlem", it is a Problem. ;) Are you an American or an American't. ;)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBiLNN1NhQ]Always Look On The Bright Side of Life - YouTube[/ame]
Always Look On The Bright Side of Life

It's not "The Promlem", it is a Problem. ;) Are you an American or an American't. ;)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBiLNN1NhQ]Always Look On The Bright Side of Life - YouTube[/ame]
Always Look On The Bright Side of Life

Tell me this...how do you improve a public school where: everyone is taken no matter their desire, no matter their ability, no matter their home support, no matter their emotional state, no matter their attendance

How do you do that?

You get better teachers by taking away their guaranteed tenure so they can't do a pisspoor job and get away with it. I don't think anybody is talking about taking away teacher's benefits and workplace protections or paying them less than what they should reasonably be paid. But it does border on criminality to contribute hundreds of millions in political campaign donations to democrats who in turn give those same unions overly generous contracts. That oges for any public sector unions, their pay and benefits should be tied to whatever the private sector pays in similar occupations.

Forum List

Back