Photos freely posted?

Are photos you freely post on such things as face book copyrighted? Does one need permission to repost the picture if they have access to it?

Student sues school district for $2 million over Facebook bikini photo

This lawyer says no.

In the context of what they used it for? Yes, I'd say so. She can sue. Why not? The school made her the poster child for "look what can happen to you on facebook" campaign without her express permission!

It harmed her reputation, could damage her monetarily while the school profited from her photo. They should have to pay whatever she feels is a fair amount considering the damages done.

Tell me, if Demi Moore had her picture taken off her facebook page and used for a campaign on what could happen to you on facebook do you think she would have a lawsuit?

What is the difference between Demi Moore and this girl? - Jeri

Do you post pictures with your own little watermark on them? Well then you have no claim.

Too bad for you FaceBookTards!

Face book is not private, no expectation of privacy. When you make a picture public property you lose the rights to it. And if Demi Moore posted a picture to face book she would have no case either.

I think pictures are technically copyrighted even if posted in public. But I know from personal experience that doesn't mean much. A national newspaper used a photo of me without asking, causing me great stress, and all I got out of it was the media law professor whom I consulted about it using my story as a case study in his future classes. Again without my permission.

Forum List

Back