Picked up a new pickup...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
Been a Ford man for 30 year...but with prices on the rise (crazily IMO) and having a pretty stringent set of demands for the new "old pickup" like 4wd automatic, carbureted, easily repaired, commonly available parts and parts that will likely be commonly available onto the future...and a body style both Mrs. No liked...and was available locally...at a reasonable price.

Today we found the one...

IMG_20210809_190804582~2.jpgIMG_20210809_170532685~2.jpg

1982 Chevy Scottsdale 3/4 ton 4wd with a diamond plate steel flatbed. Has a hydraulic pto and brush guard...350 small block. Only rust is the bottom of one door and a rocker panel.

Tried to negotiate but he was was firm at $2500.

Think I did ok.

That thing looks like a beast...

Best part is that it's missing so many of the modern electronics that you can easily repair it provided you can find the parts...

Does it have electronic ignition or does it have points?

That thing looks like a beast...

Best part is that it's missing so many of the modern electronics that you can easily repair it provided you can find the parts...

Does it have electronic ignition or does it have points?
Points. No power windows or door locks. The most sophisticated electrical system appears to be the windshield wiper motor.

Been a Ford man for 30 year...but with prices on the rise (crazily IMO) and having a pretty stringent set of demands for the new "old pickup" like 4wd automatic, carbureted, easily repaired, commonly available parts and parts that will likely be commonly available onto the future...and a body style both Mrs. No liked...and was available locally...at a reasonable price.

Being diabetic, I'd have to go for something with fuel injection. I have to avoid excess carbs.

Points. No power windows or door locks. The most sophisticated electrical system appears to be the windshield wiper motor.
Any chance of getting a module to replace the points with an electronic ignition module?

Points gotta be difficult to find to replace them when they get in too bad of shape. In the meantime you get to sand them...and the module usually lasts a lot longer.

I'm used to dodge and Chrysler products that old.

I have a 2003 with over 315k miles and plan on getting another motor instead of a newer truck.
That's where we are with the old Ford. It still gets up and down the road... But it needs a valve job and re-ringed at a minimum. If I'm going to do all that... Going to hone the cylinders, replace the pistons, rod and mains while I'm in there.

That will take me month. Now we have something to take up the slack while the Ford is down.

Plus...I really wanted the flatbed and the 4wd.

Last edited:

Probably the only vehicle that'll still run, after China's EMP's go off above us.

You can pick up extra cash driving the Amish to town and back.

:laughing0301:

That's where we are with the old Ford. It still gets up and down the road... But it needs a valve job and re-ringed at a minimum. If I'm going to do all that... Going to hone the cylinders, replace the pistons, rod and mains at a minimum.

That will take me month. Now we have something to take up the slack while the Ford is down.

Plus...I really wanted the flatbed and the 4wd.
I picked up an old sedan to drive while mine is getting another engine this winter.

Any chance of getting a module to replace the points with an electronic ignition module?

Points gotta be difficult to find to replace them when they get in too bad of shape. In the meantime you get to sand them...and the module usually lasts a lot longer.

I'm used to dodge and Chrysler products that old.
Might pick up a couple spares...but O'Reilly's has them in stock at the local store for $27.

Used car prices are absurd. I just sold a two year old Mustang GT for $2K more than brand new sticker. Couldn't pass it up.
I know... Right?

I mean it is ridiculous.

At least you're on the right side of it. How could you possibly pass that up? You got to enjoy it AND turn a profit. Never seen it happen before.

We've been looking for at least two months... and the prices!?!

I've had Fords for years... really wanted a Ford...not because I think they are better... but I know them better.

But every listing I found was a variation on "1977 Ford F250 4wd...no motor...$4700……".

I've never paid full asking price on a used vehicle in my life...but today I did... happily.

I said... How about $2300... He said six people had called on it in the last hour... and I started countin' out the money.

That's what I call a seller's market.

So... What are you going to do with your tidey return?

Another vehicle?

Last edited:
I picked up an old sedan to drive while mine is getting another engine this winter.
Smart.

Don't think we can get by without a truck for a month. Always parts to pick up or wood to haul or lumber from Springfield.

Probably the only vehicle that'll still run, after China's EMP's go off above us.

You can pick up extra cash driving the Amish to town and back.

:laughing0301:
We have modern Amish around here. No zippers or mustaches but the automobile and cell phones have been incorporated into the daily routine.

I know... Right?

I mean it is ridiculous.

At least you're on the right side of it. How could you possibly pass that up? You got to enjoy it AND turn a profit. Never seen it happen before.

We've been looking for at least two months... and the prices!?!

I've had Fords for years... really wanted a Ford...not because I think they are better... but I know them better.

But every listing I found was a variation on "1977 Ford F250 4wd...no motor...$4700……".

I've never paid full asking price on a used vehicle in my life...but today I did... happily.

I said... How about $2300... He said six people had called on it in the last hour... and I started countin' out the money.

That's what I call a seller's market.

So... What are you going to do with your tidey return?

Another vehicle?
Well...this is the thing...I got it for 6 under sticker...sold it for two over.

Bitcoin.

Got in at $34K and have made 40% on my money in a little over a month. Oh I have the limit sale plugged in. I am getting out. Just had a good tip from a friend. I am no trader that's for damn sure. lol.
You are going to find out about that Bitcoin when you get audited by the IRS for touching it....it's an almost automatic thing these days. You probably will be fine if you bought it through a broker or have complete records for each and every transaction. They want you to account for every nickel.

I don't want the hassle...so I don't mess with it.

You are going to find out about that Bitcoin when you get audited by the IRS for touching it....it's an almost automatic thing these days. You probably will be fine if you bought it through a broker or have complete records for each and every transaction. They want you to account for every nickel.

I don't want the hassle...so I don't mess with it.
Yeah, that is why my trades are going to be limited. I am in....and I am out. Two trades. Many years ago I opened a Forex account and uhh lost about $1K in a week. I was out and down the road with a sore ass. I am up right now and intend on staying that way. As a matter of fact, I might hit the button here directly.

Forum List

Back