Playing at playing guitar

I'm seriously looking at a Fender Malibu in Champagne color now. I'll get an Alvarez too in the not too distant future when I can physically look at it without wearing a mask- the Fender malibu is painted so I know what it'll look like

I have been playing since I was 16. I got serious a few years ago and started playing classical guitar. I played nothing but classical for about 3 years.

When I went back to rock-n-roll I was so much better! I wish I'd have done it when I was a kid....

An easy (and absolutely great!) country song to learn is The Gentle Giant's " I believe in you" .....

Most Country songs are relatively easy to play (strum)- to pick, not so much, but, I'm still learning.

I'm seriously looking at a Fender Malibu in Champagne color now. I'll get an Alvarez too in the not too distant future when I can physically look at it without wearing a mask- the Fender malibu is painted so I know what it'll look like

It's obvious to me now that you have a bad case of GAS. Maybe this will help.

I never had my hair very long till I got out of the AF. Even then it wasn't what you'd call long, like shoulder length or anything just in step with the then fashion so to speak. Just a bit over the ear. Can't find a pic right now or I'd post it. I think the only reason I let it get even that long was because I'd recently gotten out of the AF so no one could ride my ass about it. When it starts rubbing on my ear it starts annoying the hell out of me now and I head out for the barbershop.

Mine went shoulder blade length after the AF too! On and off, long now but may shave it soon. Gets very hot here. 110 real feel in summer for months.

I never had my hair very long till I got out of the AF. Even then it wasn't what you'd call long, like shoulder length or anything just in step with the then fashion so to speak. Just a bit over the ear. Can't find a pic right now or I'd post it. I think the only reason I let it get even that long was because I'd recently gotten out of the AF so no one could ride my ass about it. When it starts rubbing on my ear it starts annoying the hell out of me now and I head out for the barbershop.

Mine went shoulder blade length after the AF too! On and off, long now but may shave it soon. Gets very hot here. 110 real feel in summer for months.
I don't think I could ever stand it that long. Just over the ear started to drive me nuts but I don't want to shave it either.

Thought I'd do a little follow up.
I got my first guitar when I was 13, now I'm over 70 and can no longer wear jeans - my take on a line from Amanda by Waylon

The last month or so I've taken up, again, playing at playing a guitar and singing songs I like. A few I've written and many I didn't.

I really did get my first guitar at age 13. I had a buddy who could play a little and he taught me the chords to play Don't Be Angry With Me Darlin' by Stonewall Jackson. I don't have a clue where that guitar wound up. fast forward to my time in the Navy, I got a guitar in Hong Kong because I worked with a couple of guys who were actually pretty good and learned a little more from them- I don't have a clue where that guitar wound up. In my mid 20's I bought another guitar and started playing at it.

Lat month I bought 2 guitars- a Fender mahagony top dreadnought and a fender Parlor body

View attachment 332670

View attachment 332671

I'm really enjoying both. They do have different sound and different qualities. The Parlor body (bottom image) is easier for me to play.

I play country music. I'm not good enough (yet) to get into difficult stuff-

The top image I've changed out the Bridge and pins and sanded the bridge down to make the action lower.
The Bridge is Bone now and the Pins are brass.
I've ordered a set of Earl Ball Extra Light strings for the dreadnought. Hopefully they will make it easier for me to play.

We'll see.

The songs I'm currently playing at are:

I Cast No Stones- Cody Jinks

Sunday Mornin Coming Down- Kris Kristofferson

El Coyote - Kris Kristofferson

I play at a lot of other songs but those three are at the top of my list for getting right. I like, and try, to be bluesy in my attempts to make a song mine- my family (while somewhat bias) is amazed! at what I'm doing. My oldest son said he wants to make You Tube star of me- LOL. I just want to be pretty good at playing and singing.
You might want to check out some of the setup info from a british luthier on YouTube named Sam Deeks. He makes a lot of sense. Since I'm pretty handy I've decided to take on my guitar and get the action a lot lower and less painful to play.
Like you I've recently picked up the guitar again in hopes of achieving some small amount of mastery over the beast.
My third attempt now but this time I'm going to take the instrument itself out of the list of stumbling blocks. I might not have any musical talent but I'm at least handy and feel confident enough in my abilities to take setting up my guitar on.
BTW price and brand seem to have no effect on crappy instrument setups. It seems it's not economically viable to setup every guitar optimally at any price point.
If you can build a bird house you can probably setup your guitar the way this guy does it.
I got my first guitar when I was 13, now I'm over 70 and can no longer wear jeans - my take on a line from Amanda by Waylon

The last month or so I've taken up, again, playing at playing a guitar and singing songs I like. A few I've written and many I didn't.

I really did get my first guitar at age 13. I had a buddy who could play a little and he taught me the chords to play Don't Be Angry With Me Darlin' by Stonewall Jackson. I don't have a clue where that guitar wound up. fast forward to my time in the Navy, I got a guitar in Hong Kong because I worked with a couple of guys who were actually pretty good and learned a little more from them- I don't have a clue where that guitar wound up. In my mid 20's I bought another guitar and started playing at it.

Lat month I bought 2 guitars- a Fender mahagony top dreadnought and a fender Parlor body

View attachment 332670

View attachment 332671

I'm really enjoying both. They do have different sound and different qualities. The Parlor body (bottom image) is easier for me to play.

I play country music. I'm not good enough (yet) to get into difficult stuff-

The top image I've changed out the Bridge and pins and sanded the bridge down to make the action lower.
The Bridge is Bone now and the Pins are brass.
I've ordered a set of Earl Ball Extra Light strings for the dreadnought. Hopefully they will make it easier for me to play.

We'll see.

The songs I'm currently playing at are:

I Cast No Stones- Cody Jinks

Sunday Mornin Coming Down- Kris Kristofferson

El Coyote - Kris Kristofferson

I play at a lot of other songs but those three are at the top of my list for getting right. I like, and try, to be bluesy in my attempts to make a song mine- my family (while somewhat bias) is amazed! at what I'm doing. My oldest son said he wants to make You Tube star of me- LOL. I just want to be pretty good at playing and singing.
You might want to check out some of the setup info from a british luthier on YouTube named Sam Deeks. He makes a lot of sense. Since I'm pretty handy I've decided to take on my guitar and get the action a lot lower and less painful to play.
Like you I've recently picked up the guitar again in hopes of achieving some small amount of mastery over the beast.
My third attempt now but this time I'm going to take the instrument itself out of the list of stumbling blocks. I might not have any musical talent but I'm at least handy and feel confident enough in my abilities to take setting up my guitar on.
BTW price and brand seem to have no effect on crappy instrument setups. It seems it's not economically viable to setup every guitar optimally at any price point.
If you can build a bird house you can probably setup your guitar the way this guy does it.
Thought I'd do a little follow up. After looking through his ebook and watching him do several setups on YouTube and getting some of the tools, I felt confident enough to dig into my own guitar. Well I gotta tell ya this thing is like playing a whole nuter guitar. The action is very low and now so easy and comfortable to play and it's intonated much better too because there are no more sharp notes on open chords so it sounds much sweeter too. I really lucked out because, surprise surprise I didn't even have to level the frets after resetting the action low. And this is a Chinese made Ibanez no less! I guess it's true what they say about Ibanez quality control.
I've got a set of Ibanez super 58 custom pickups for it that I'm going to install next. I've had them for five or six years but never put them in since setting the guitar aside. These were made in China too but are exact copies of the famous Japanese made super 58 pups used in guitars made for George Benson, Pat Matheny and other Ibanez jazz artists. This includes the alnico 3 magnets. I did have to change the covers from gold to chrome since they only came in gold. Pretty rare and desirable pickups as it turns out. I found this out after a lot of very hard digging. Gotta figure out my wiring yet though but it'll have a lot of tonal choice when I'm done. I'll provide switching for every conceivable way to wire two 4 wire humbuckers. Since it's electronics, that's my best gig. I've got four switch pots and other switches all ready to go.

I've been playing guitar for quite a while now and when i was young I had a serious case of GAS ( Gear Acquisition Syndrome)

I had 7 or 8 electric guitars several acoustics, an ungodly number of effect pedals etc etc etc

I took a serious look at all my shit and got rid of most of it.

I'm down to a Fender American Elite Strat, A Gibson Les Paul Studio, I have a Martin Acoustic and a Fender American Performer PJ bass I've leaned out my effects board to less than 10 pedals.

So now I spend more time playing my instruments and way less time ( and money) buying new gear.

I've been playing guitar for quite a while now and when i was young I had a serious case of GAS ( Gear Acquisition Syndrome)

I had 7 or 8 electric guitars several acoustics, an ungodly number of effect pedals etc etc etc

I'm down to a Fender American Elite Strat, A Gibson Les Paul Studio, I have a Martin Acoustic and a Fender American Performer PJ bass I've leaned out my effects board to less than 10 pedals.

So now I spend more time playing my instruments and way less time ( and money) buying new gear.
Plus you rediscover your own voice or your own tones and play with more clarity, also
find out that some of your mistakes were being hidden or covered up by all the various effect.
...everything from picking techniques being off to bar chords sounding like shit in clean mode, etc.
At least for me.

I'm starting to get a mild case of GAS. Not for a guitar but a small amp. I have a big heavy 150 watt modeling amp downstairs in the man cave but I'm locking for something simpler smaller and lighter for upstairs. Currently the Roland Cube Street is looking like it may fill the bill. It won't break any windows input it should be loud enough for a practice amp. I'll probably wear headphones half the time anyway because divorces can get way too damn expensive.

Last Thursday I ordered a Malibu Player in Midnight Satin

1590607008559.png

But;

I may never buy another Fender guitar of any model.

* To begin the rep ordered the wrong color, so I had to get that changed, which, according to him required a complete re order- fine- so I thought. But my bank declined the transaction because it went over my credit limit (which is another long story, not bad, just long). Anyway I got that squared away and called Fender to ensure it was straightened out on their end and was assured it was. This was last Thursday. The rep said it would probably be shipped Monday or Tuesday. Today, Wednesday,I got a text from my bank declining a transaction with Fender- WTF?! So, I called my bank, again and was assured it was Fenders fault for trying to charge me again- they (Fender) already had a "hold" on my bank account for the purchase price- so, I tried to contact Fender customer service. The main number kept telling me to call back because they were so busy- huh- imagine that.
So, I sent an email to the original rep and the corp email site- then I later called the 800 number and he got in touch with the original rep who said he'd call as soon as he got off the phone- he did. He had no answer(s) about why the charge was tried again or why the shipment had not even started other than being entered in their system. I told him there were only two reasons, everything else was just an excuse. Reason 1, incompetence or reason 2 stupid system. He allowed it could be both- but offered nothing other than maybe a cable for the inconvenience. I allowed as how that wasn't gonna do and cancelled the order.

I have 0 patience with "can't or not allowed to think outside the box" for customer satisfaction-

Then I sent corporate another email telling them my decision, and why, and gave my phone number IF anyone higher on the food chain had the courage to try and resolve the issue.

I'm not holding my breath- I *may* have to don a mask and pretend I'm robbing a Guitar Center store vs purchasing from, since criminals usually wear a mask-

Last Thursday I ordered a Malibu Player in Midnight Satin

View attachment 341666

But;

I may never buy another Fender guitar of any model.

* To begin the rep ordered the wrong color, so I had to get that changed, which, according to him required a complete re order- fine- so I thought. But my bank declined the transaction because it went over my credit limit (which is another long story, not bad, just long). Anyway I got that squared away and called Fender to ensure it was straightened out on their end and was assured it was. This was last Thursday. The rep said it would probably be shipped Monday or Tuesday. Today, Wednesday,I got a text from my bank declining a transaction with Fender- WTF?! So, I called my bank, again and was assured it was Fenders fault for trying to charge me again- they (Fender) already had a "hold" on my bank account for the purchase price- so, I tried to contact Fender customer service. The main number kept telling me to call back because they were so busy- huh- imagine that.
So, I sent an email to the original rep and the corp email site- then I later called the 800 number and he got in touch with the original rep who said he'd call as soon as he got off the phone- he did. He had no answer(s) about why the charge was tried again or why the shipment had not even started other than being entered in their system. I told him there were only two reasons, everything else was just an excuse. Reason 1, incompetence or reason 2 stupid system. He allowed it could be both- but offered nothing other than maybe a cable for the inconvenience. I allowed as how that wasn't gonna do and cancelled the order.

I have 0 patience with "can't or not allowed to think outside the box" for customer satisfaction-

Then I sent corporate another email telling them my decision, and why, and gave my phone number IF anyone higher on the food chain had the courage to try and resolve the issue.

I'm not holding my breath- I *may* have to don a mask and pretend I'm robbing a Guitar Center store vs purchasing from, since criminals usually wear a mask-
Bummer!

Everytime I hear stories like this I blame on too many god damn MBAs in this country helping to destroy American business. All they are are shitforbrains glorified bean counters that can't sell shit and only know how to give shit away including the future of their business in order to make the next quarter's numbers look good to the other bunch of idiots trading stock on Wall Street. Notice I said trading and not investing which are two entirely different things. One requires a brain and some ability to think while the other is just a crap game in different clothes.
Why they pay these morons so much is a mystery to me. For all practical purposes they're all idiots.
Back in my school days when some numbskull started flunking out of engineering, science or some other real course the first thing they'd do is switch their major to business, education or some other liberal arts crip course. If they didn't they'd fluck out and Uncle Sam would grab them up and ship their stupid asses off to Vietnam. We called them crip courses because the people in them were considered mental cripples. That's code for stoopid!

Everytime I hear stories like this I blame on too many god damn MBAs in this country helping to destroy American business.
LOL- I had a buddy years ago who liked to say every MBA he knew he believed when they walked across the stage to shake hands and get their diploma the common sense went to the person whose hand they were shaking leaving them with nothing but a sheep skin.

I looked on the internet and called a local Guitar Center and apparently that particular color is out of stock- but, Fender didn't tell me that- had they told me up front it would be all good, instead they chose to give me the runaround. SMH

Forum List

Back