Political correctness: how the right invented a phantom enemy

Everyone knows what PC is, everyone knows it exists, everyone knows what it looks like.

Those who play these little games are just trying to hold on to it for as long as they can.

Let them. They know it just kicked them square in the ass, they can deny it all they want.

Except you still haven't proven that the "White Lash" was a thing.

Trump got less white votes than Romney did. Even white people were embarrassed by him.

Political correctness: how the right invented a phantom enemy | Moira Weigel

Throughout an erratic campaign, Trump consistently blasted political correctness, blaming it for an extraordinary range of ills and using the phrase to deflect any and every criticism. During the first debate of the Republican primaries, Fox News host Megyn Kelly asked Trump how he would answer the charge that he was “part of the war on women”.

“You’ve called women you don’t like ‘fat pigs,’ ‘dogs,’ ‘slobs,’ and ‘disgusting animals’,” Kelly pointed out. “You once told a contestant on Celebrity Apprentice it would be a pretty picture to see her on her knees …”

“I think the big problem this country has is being politically correct,” Trump answered, to audience applause. “I’ve been challenged by so many people, I don’t frankly have time for total political correctness. And to be honest with you, this country doesn’t have time either.”

Surely PC is another word for good manners ?

Surely PC is a gateway to the bullshit they call "hate speech".

The EC puts the "Republic" in "Republican".

No, it really doesn't.

Hundreds of countries call themselves "Republics". Very few of them have something like the "electoral college". In fact, it's pretty much unique to the United States. even countries that copied other parts of our constitution didn't copy THAT part.
There is more than one way to have a Republic.

No, it really doesn't.

Hundreds of countries call themselves "Republics". Very few of them have something like the "electoral college". In fact, it's pretty much unique to the United States. even countries that copied other parts of our constitution didn't copy THAT part.

The Electoral College make the votes in North Dakota and Rhode Island count.

No, it really doesn't.

Maybe that's just one of the many reasons we are unique.

The problem with you leftists is you always want "US" to be like "them" instead of just going there yourself and tell us how it worked out for you when you get back...........if they let you get back.......

Everyone knows what PC is, everyone knows it exists, everyone knows what it looks like.

Those who play these little games are just trying to hold on to it for as long as they can.

Let them. They know it just kicked them square in the ass, they can deny it all they want.

Except you still haven't proven that the "White Lash" was a thing.

Trump got less white votes than Romney did. Even white people were embarrassed by him.
You can't "prove" anything to a hardcore partisan ideologue.

And "Whitelash" is your term, not mine.

Believe what you will, you will anyway.

Last edited:
Well WTF do you think would happen if we used the popular vote then?????

Everyone's vote would have teh same weight. One person. one vote.

This isn't complicated.
I havent seen a cogent response to that anywhere. It really isnt complicated.
No, it isn't complicated....we rejected your mob rule centuries ago.....

No sane person here will prescribe your brand of regressiveism......

Well WTF do you think would happen if we used the popular vote then?????

Everyone's vote would have teh same weight. One person. one vote.

This isn't complicated.
I havent seen a cogent response to that anywhere. It really isnt complicated.
No, it isn't complicated....we rejected your mob rule centuries ago.....

No sane person here will prescribe your brand of regressiveism......
You make a really powerful case there Sparky.

Um, yeah, guy, that wasn't your contention. Your contention was that an electoral college (a racist system designed to maximize the voting power of rural white people for no good reason) was critical to having a Republic.

Instead, what we are going to have is four years of a president 54% of us didn't want, who is going to sign off on things most of us don't want Congress to do. And we can't do anything about it for two years, and even then it will be an uphill climb because of Gerrymandering and a crappy senatorial map.

How is this a good thing again.

Sure you can. You can provide numbers to back up your case. This is how I "prove" things all the time.

So let's look at what the numbers say.

1) Romney got a higher percentage of the overall vote than Trump did - 47% to 46.3%
2) Romney did better than Trump with white people (the people you claim are soooo sick and tired of PC and being blamed for things) - 58% compared to 57%.
3) If all of Jill Stein's votes in the Rust Belt Three (WI, MI and PA) went to Hillary, she'd have won those states.
4) Oh, yeah, one more time. Hillary got more votes. 2.5 million more, to be precise.

so the notion that "Trump won because White People are sick and tired of Political Correctness" is really not born out by the numbers.

A much more plausible theory.

A lot of people who didn't want Trump to be president in the Rust Belt Three wasted their votes on third party protest candidates because the media told them Hillary had those states in the bag, and they felt they could make a protest vote.

I'm sure there are a lot of Stein and Johnson supporters who are saying to themselves right now, "We did this!"

Or you can just go with the simplest explanation. People didn't like Hillary as much as they liked Obama. Not enough to put her over the top. Given the fact the woman couldn't get positive press to save her life ("Well, there's no evidence she did anything wrong, but let's imply she did."), this shouldn't be surprising.

But here's the key thing. Let's look at what the voters said was the most important issue to them.

Economy and jobs

38 32

National security, terrorism

28 29

Health care

11 16

Immigration

7 8

Environment (vol.)

2 2

Something else

9 7

All are important (vol.)

3 3

Unsure/No answer

1 3

Conspicuously absent- "Political Correctness".

The problem with you leftists is you always want "US" to be like "them" instead of just going there yourself and tell us how it worked out for you when you get back...........if they let you get back.......

Uh, guy, I have a DD214 and a box full of medals. My say should probably be a lot more than yours on this country, given I've stood on the line to protect it.

But that's still not a compelling argument as to why we should make someone president when a majority of the people said no and more people voted for someone else.

In fact, there is no compelling argument you guys have other than, "Thems is the rules", and "The Founding Slave Rapists who shit in Chamber Pots said so".

Political correctness: how the right invented a phantom enemy | Moira Weigel

Throughout an erratic campaign, Trump consistently blasted political correctness, blaming it for an extraordinary range of ills and using the phrase to deflect any and every criticism. During the first debate of the Republican primaries, Fox News host Megyn Kelly asked Trump how he would answer the charge that he was “part of the war on women”.

“You’ve called women you don’t like ‘fat pigs,’ ‘dogs,’ ‘slobs,’ and ‘disgusting animals’,” Kelly pointed out. “You once told a contestant on Celebrity Apprentice it would be a pretty picture to see her on her knees …”

“I think the big problem this country has is being politically correct,” Trump answered, to audience applause. “I’ve been challenged by so many people, I don’t frankly have time for total political correctness. And to be honest with you, this country doesn’t have time either.”

Surely PC is another word for good manners ?
Ah ha, I've solved it! Tommy's related to Truthmatters and tigerred!

Uh, guy, I have a DD214 and a box full of medals. My say should probably be a lot more than yours on this country, given I've stood on the line to protect it.

But that's still not a compelling argument as to why we should make someone president when a majority of the people said no and more people voted for someone else.

In fact, there is no compelling argument you guys have other than, "Thems is the rules", and "The Founding Slave Rapists who shit in Chamber Pots said so".

Your say is no better than my say. If you were in the military (which I doubt) you are still an equal citizen here in the states. That's why you don't get two votes for a candidate. You get one vote just like everybody else.

You have the compelling reasons why we choose our President the way we always have. Your problem is you refuse to accept it because your candidate lost. You leftists always want to change the rules when your presidential candidate loses like the last two times they lost. If you want to try and change the rules, be my guest. When DumBama won and had a Democrat Congress and Senate, the EC wasn't even mentioned because he and the Democrats won. If they ever have the White House and Congress again, they won't try to change the rules then either.

Hey! Our Indians scored more runs in the world series than your Cubs, but you won the championship. Maybe we should protest the outcome because of that reason.

Sure you can. You can provide numbers to back up your case. This is how I "prove" things all the time.

So let's look at what the numbers say.

1) Romney got a higher percentage of the overall vote than Trump did - 47% to 46.3%
2) Romney did better than Trump with white people (the people you claim are soooo sick and tired of PC and being blamed for things) - 58% compared to 57%.
3) If all of Jill Stein's votes in the Rust Belt Three (WI, MI and PA) went to Hillary, she'd have won those states.
4) Oh, yeah, one more time. Hillary got more votes. 2.5 million more, to be precise.

so the notion that "Trump won because White People are sick and tired of Political Correctness" is really not born out by the numbers.

A much more plausible theory.

A lot of people who didn't want Trump to be president in the Rust Belt Three wasted their votes on third party protest candidates because the media told them Hillary had those states in the bag, and they felt they could make a protest vote.

I'm sure there are a lot of Stein and Johnson supporters who are saying to themselves right now, "We did this!"

Or you can just go with the simplest explanation. People didn't like Hillary as much as they liked Obama. Not enough to put her over the top. Given the fact the woman couldn't get positive press to save her life ("Well, there's no evidence she did anything wrong, but let's imply she did."), this shouldn't be surprising.

But here's the key thing. Let's look at what the voters said was the most important issue to them.

Economy and jobs

38 32

National security, terrorism

28 29

Health care

11 16

Immigration

7 8

Environment (vol.)

2 2

Something else

9 7

All are important (vol.)

3 3

Unsure/No answer

1 3

Conspicuously absent- "Political Correctness".
I hope you don't think I read any of that.

I've already capitulated. PC and Identity Politics are all a fraud. There's no such thing. President Obama and Don Lemon and the 30 or so other liberals I've listed were all liars. You're right, they're all wrong. While we all know what it is, it's all a figment of our imaginations.

As I've said, multiple times, believe what you will.

Um, yeah, guy, that wasn't your contention. Your contention was that an electoral college (a racist system designed to maximize the voting power of rural white people for no good reason) was critical to having a Republic.

Instead, what we are going to have is four years of a president 54% of us didn't want, who is going to sign off on things most of us don't want Congress to do. And we can't do anything about it for two years, and even then it will be an uphill climb because of Gerrymandering and a crappy senatorial map.

How is this a good thing again.
No, dumbass, my contention was that we would not have a Republic if we replaced the Electoral College with a national popular vote. You have no fucking clue what a "Republic" is.

BTW, you are aware that Bill Clinton got less than 40% of the vote to win his 1st term, right?

You are aware that Democrats are the ones gerrymandering, right?

Forum List

Back