Poll: Majority of Israelis Oppose Concessions

Status
Not open for further replies.
you may not be aware of this, but roman catholics frequently recognise other roman catholics by their attitudes and mannerisms and other subtle clues. non cathilics too can sometimes pick up on the subtle hints. the reason why is because we have a common catholic culture, depite our diversity. sometimes religion molds cultures.

I'm not sure you could call it a "culture" though - they have a religion in common, and the rituals and values of that religion. But - there are considerable differences between the Roman Catholics of Mexico and the Roman Catholics of France for example.

I think religion is a subset of culture so there is overlap - but culture, as we commonly refer to it when talking about ethnic or national groups - is the larger category.

According to Wikipedia, culture includes:

Language and dialect
Science
Technology
Cuisine
Aesthetics - art, music, literature, fashion, and architecture
Values, ideology
Social conventions, including norms, taboos, and etiquette
Gender roles
Recreational activities such as festivals and holidays
Commercial practices
Social structure
Religion

Amongst members of a broad religious grouping such as Jews (or Christians or Muslims) - you might have religion in common, possibly values and ideology but not much else. If narrow it significantly and talk about smaller more tightly defined groups such as the Amish, or the Hassidic Jews then you probably do have a common culture.

I don't think you have enough of the above in common to say that the entire religion has a common culture - that's just my take on it :)

frankly, i really do not care one tinker's damn. if they don't want to have a culture, that is their business. however, and because there was a post where roudy leapt to agree with you and wiki, please consider this...

i like wiki...

Jewish culture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Foundation for Jewish Culture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cultural Judaism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Category:Secular Jewish culture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jewish Culture Festival in Kraków - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

European Day of Jewish Culture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Taube Foundation for Jewish Life & Culture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

just a very few...i can certainly provide much, much more.

it seems, roudy, that a lot of jews, possibly a majority, are also anti-semites as that seems to be one of your criterium...a belief that there is a jewish culture.

way too funny. i am beginning to feel like the great and powerful OZ. all these months the topic of jewish culture pops up with no objection at all, but i mention it briefly in passing and all of a sudden, it no longer exists. poof. finito.

as i said, i do not really care.

hava nah gila monster, baby.
cher n'est ce pas.
and hoobie joobie ramalama ding dong.

you may not be aware of this, but roman catholics frequently recognise other roman catholics by their attitudes and mannerisms and other subtle clues. non cathilics too can sometimes pick up on the subtle hints. the reason why is because we have a common catholic culture, depite our diversity. sometimes religion molds cultures.

I'm not sure you could call it a "culture" though - they have a religion in common, and the rituals and values of that religion. But - there are considerable differences between the Roman Catholics of Mexico and the Roman Catholics of France for example.

I think religion is a subset of culture so there is overlap - but culture, as we commonly refer to it when talking about ethnic or national groups - is the larger category.

Language and dialect
Science
Technology
Cuisine
Values, ideology
Gender roles
Commercial practices
Social structure
Religion

Amongst members of a broad religious grouping such as Jews (or Christians or Muslims) - you might have religion in common, possibly values and ideology but not much else. If narrow it significantly and talk about smaller more tightly defined groups such as the Amish, or the Hassidic Jews then you probably do have a common culture.

I don't think you have enough of the above in common to say that the entire religion has a common culture - that's just my take on it :)

frankly, i really do not care one tinker's damn. if they don't want to have a culture, that is their business. however, and because there was a post where roudy leapt to agree with you and wiki, please consider this...

i like wiki...

it seems, roudy, that a lot of jews, possibly a majority, are also anti-semites as that seems to be one of your criterium...a belief that there is a jewish culture.

way too funny. i am beginning to feel like the great and powerful OZ. all these months the topic of jewish culture pops up with no objection at all, but i mention it briefly in passing and all of a sudden, it no longer exists. poof. finito.

cher n'est ce pas.

Interesting....I just read the first link...I might need to do some rethinking about "culture". :)

Hava gifilta fish..:D

I think saying there is a "Jewish culture" is like saying there is a "Christian culture" or "Islamic culture" - there are values in common, and a religion in common - but the culture is largely that of the country they reside in.

i think that would really depend upon how insular the asPects of a religious culture is. but lie i said, it isn't worth it to me to argue that there is no jewish culture. jews have no common bond that defines them as a distinct people.

i think that one question went unanswered again abiut "general terms". i think i will call it "the waldo question" after the notorious chameleon.

Cara mia ! no culture..? how 'bout the Italian CULTURE !!!

e' una cosa bella !

ravioli, fettucini, spaghetti, cavatelli, tortoni, zabbalione, cappucino, spumone, gelato, cannoli ! mama mia, delizioso !

eh, facia bella !

Vito ! presto ...

come' sta ? ....questo ballo e' facile da imparare -- osservare, tarantella:

bella mia !

ya gotta take up culture with mio piccolo amico, the persian cat, as he either has none or doesn't believe it, but that may just be an oddity unique to those brought up in the iranian culture. your beef ain't with me.

as for thr tarantella, the onliest use i really had for fast feet was to help me increase my hubcap collection as a child and, when i got older, to help me slip punches when i played the glove fight game.

I think saying there is a "Jewish culture" is like saying there is a "Christian culture" or "Islamic culture" - there are values in common, and a religion in common - but the culture is largely that of the country they reside in.
Naiz bigots like Squeal talk from both sides of their mouth, on side they will tell you that it's in a Jewish person's BLOOD to be stingy, selfish, backstabbing etc. and somehow they are under this delusional thought that the whole world thinks of Jews as they do, and its justified.

And then on the other hand they will tell you that today's Jews are fake Jews, the real Jews are the Palestinians, which have this "Noble blood", the Jews' blood got mixed, it's not real. <Ha ha> And then of course from the third side they will tell you that the Jews and Arabs are actually the same people with the same blood. <Phew>

Important thing here is to stop trying to figure out the thought process that goes into the irrational logic of an anti Semite. They will twist and turn everything so that it fits their nice little bigoted logic.

perhaps you would provide some link to where i said anything even remotely like the above. in fact, i have said just the opposite...of almost all of the above, or have said nothing at all.

i don't think virues or vices are heritable. i do think certain values and what today may be called vices are inculcated by a culture among its members and actually do not dwell to heavily on that other than how they relate to modern society, how those cultural values fit in and enable people to adapt in modern times.

furthermore, i understand that some behavioural values were encouraged as necessary to the survival and cohesion of the group, which is evident from the many diferent forms of religious beliefs around the world...but the hell with it...go ask margaret mead or channel her spirit whatever it takes.
Is that your way of explaining what you said about Jews, how they are ALL ow ALL selfish, greedy, ungrateful backstabbers? And that's the short list of what you have said about Jews. If you'd like I can post a list of all the wonderful things you've said abut Jews.

The question really should be what kind of a culture / background / environment creates a devoted Jews hating bigot like you. Now that would be an interesting discussion for another thread, perhaps one that you didn't derail into a discussion abut Jewish culture from its original subject "Israeli opinion polls". LOL

Language and dialect
Science
Technology
Cuisine
Values, ideology
Gender roles
Commercial practices
Social structure
Religion

i like wiki...

cher n'est ce pas.

Interesting....I just read the first link...I might need to do some rethinking about "culture". :)

Middle eastern Jews don't even know what Gefilte fish is. I think the culture you are referring to is the religious traditions, such as circumcision, Passover, New Year, etc. but even then it can vary from country to country. For example, during Passover middle eastern Jews have rice all the time, whereas Ashkenazi Jews believe it cannot be eaten.

Middle eastern Jews listen to different music and eat different foods. That's their culture. And again, within that subset, it differs from nation to nation. Now you talk about a Jewish religious dance such as the Hava Nagila, that's spans across all Jews.

i think that would really depend upon how insular the asPects of a religious culture is. but lie i said, it isn't worth it to me to argue that there is no jewish culture. jews have no common bond that defines them as a distinct people.

i think that one question went unanswered again abiut "general terms". i think i will call it "the waldo question" after the notorious chameleon.

Cara mia ! no culture..? how 'bout the Italian CULTURE !!!

e' una cosa bella !

ravioli, fettucini, spaghetti, cavatelli, tortoni, zabbalione, cappucino, spumone, gelato, cannoli ! mama mia, delizioso !

eh, facia bella !

Vito ! presto ...

come' sta ? ....questo ballo e' facile da imparare -- osservare, tarantella:

bella mia !

ya gotta take up culture with mio piccolo amico, the persian cat, as he either has none or doesn't believe it, but that may just be an oddity unique to those brought up in the iranian culture. your beef ain't with me.

as for thr tarantella, the onliest use i really had for fast feet was to help me increase my hubcap collection as a child and, when i got older, to help me slip punches when i played the glove fight game.
Again, Italian is a nationality. And Italian Americans are different than Italians from Italy, than many Argentinian who are descendants of Italian immigrants. Capice?

Language and dialect
Science
Technology
Cuisine
Values, ideology
Gender roles
Commercial practices
Social structure
Religion

i like wiki...

cher n'est ce pas.
Funny, non of the links you provided indicated that Jews have those negative personality traits you ranted about a few posts ago, which you said that was why they were kicked out of those countries. Remember that one?

Thanks for all the complementary links about Jews and Jewish culture. It was like pulling nails to get you to say something positive about Jews. Reverse psychology really works! LOL

i like wiki...

cher n'est ce pas.

Middle eastern Jews don't even know what Gefilte fish is. I think the culture you are referring to is the religious traditions, such as circumcision, Passover, New Year, etc. but even then it can vary from country to country. For example, during Passover middle eastern Jews have rice all the time, whereas Ashkenazi Jews believe it cannot be eaten.

Middle eastern Jews listen to different music and eat different foods. That's their culture. And again, within that subset, it differs from nation to nation. Now you talk about a Jewish religious dance such as the Hava Nagila, that's spans across all Jews.

There's a funny scene in the Israeli movie "Kazablan" when the lead character, a Middle Eastern Jew, is served gefilte fish--and finding it too bland, he winds up secretly giving it to the cat when no one is looking. Although Sephardic Jews might not like or even know it, I still think gefilte fish is for Jews what spaghetti is for Italians, rice is for Asians, wine is for French, and tacos is for Mexicans.

Language and dialect
Science
Technology
Cuisine
Values, ideology
Gender roles
Commercial practices
Social structure
Religion

i like wiki...

cher n'est ce pas.
Funny, non of the links you provided indicated that Jews have those negative personality traits you ranted about a few posts ago, which you said that was why they were kicked out of those countries. Remember that one?

Thanks for all the complementary links about Jews and Jewish culture. It was like pulling nails to get you to say something positive about Jews. Reverse psychology really works! LOL

i said nothing about personality traits and it is jewish people who allege they have been kicked out of all these countries. i asked why and suggested they ask the same question.

as for reverse psychology, i have know idea what you are talking about but it really is no more than dishonest trickery which i find odd that you would boast about it, particularly in the context of this discussion.

you really do need to learn how to read better.

i like wiki...

cher n'est ce pas.

i said nothing about personality traits and it is jewish people who allege they have been kicked out of all these countries. i asked why and suggested they ask the same question.

as for reverse psychology, i have know idea what you are talking about but it really is no more than dishonest trickery which i find odd that you would boast about it, particularly in the context of this discussion.

Oh okay, I'm sorry, since you're an expert on what you said, let me quote you:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/israe...-israelis-oppose-concessions.html#post7667664
"so, as a culture, i find they are contentious, rude, racist, self centered and care little about others."

http://www.usmessageboard.com/israe...sraelis-oppose-concessions-2.html#post7667948
"i don't like your people, based upon my interactions with many jewish people. apparently, i have a lot of ccompany, seeing as how you are disliked everywhere you go, or so you allege, and by peoples who accept all cultures....there is a difference a culture and a religion. i think another attribute of jewish culture is an incessant need to be contrary, to never leave well enough alone. i am pointing out general commonalities of the culture..."

And that's just in this thread. And as we can see, you didn't attribute any personality traits, no, not at all. "Rude, racist, self centered, and care little about others", why THOSE aren't traits, now are they? By Golly! What were we thinking?

Did the bigot say....Dishonest trickery?! Ha ha ha.

Last edited:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/israe...-israelis-oppose-concessions.html#post7667664
"so, as a culture, i find they are contentious, rude, racist, self centered and care little about others."

http://www.usmessageboard.com/israe...sraelis-oppose-concessions-2.html#post7667948
"i don't like your people, based upon my interactions with many jewish people. apparently, i have a lot of ccompany, seeing as how you are disliked everywhere you go, or so you allege, and by peoples who accept all cultures....there is a difference a culture and a religion. i think another attribute of jewish culture is an incessant need to be contrary, to never leave well enough alone. i am pointing out general commonalities of the culture..."

And that's just in this thread. And as we can see, you didn't attribute any personality traits, no, not at all. "Rude, racist, self centered, and care little about others", why THOSE aren't traits, now are they? By Golly! What were we thinking?

roudy, cultures do not have personalities, individuals do, hence the inclusion in the word "personality" of the word "person".

personalities sometimes reflect the values of their culture, sometimes they don't. i am sure there have been some studies on personalities and culture but i think they have arrived at no conclusions which, in science, is essentially a conclusion.

furthermore, in the discussions prior to your latest ridiculous tirade, you kept mentioning "in their blood" which is about as far from anything i can even imagine.

you really do need to settle down, boy.

"...as for thE tarantella, the onliest use i really had for fast feet was to help me increase my hubcap collection as a child and,
when i got older, to help me slip punches when i played the glove fight game.

ti amo ! ....sealadavinci....vene' ca.......Mi piaci - ti voglio bene !!

got any classic hubcaps left from long ago ? I'm sure the bruthas would be interested in any stash you got left....(instead of stealing them, you'd be helping THEM out).

roudy, cultures do not have personalities, individuals do, hence the inclusion in the word "personality" of the word "person".

personalities sometimes reflect the values of their culture, sometimes they don't. i am sure there have been some studies on personalities and culture but i think they have arrived at no conclusions which, in science, is essentially a conclusion.

furthermore, in the discussions prior to your latest ridiculous tirade, you kept mentioning "in their blood" which is about as far from anything i can even imagine.

you really do need to settle down, boy.
Hey, if cultures don't have personality traits, then why say this about Jewish culture then?

You know what they say, you can fool some of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time. Now who exactly do you think you're fooling? Let me help you: NOBODY. I don't know why you are torturing yourself like this. Almost everybody realizes that you're a nazi bigot who posts here simply because of his hatred for Jews.

Last edited:
Seal has certainly got himself into some (hot) water with his generalizations of Jews. Well, I suppose we didn't expect anything different really. It had to come out.

Seal has certainly got himself into some (hot) water with his generalizations of Jews. Well, I suppose we didn't expect anything different really. It had to come out.
I think he likes doing that to himself. I stopped trying to figure out the insanity and motivations of anti Semites a long time ago.

"...Again, Italian is a nationality. And Italian Americans are different than Italians from Italy, than many Argentinian who are descendants of Italian immigrants. Capice?"

oh, so, I "ain't" got no culture ? and neither do YOU ?

Yes, mine would be a very weird culture than Italian Jews. It's a mish mash of sephardic Jew, internationalism, middle eastern, and American. All lumped up into one.

Actually most people that see me think I'm either Italian or Spanish, and are shocked to find out my background.

Last edited:
Now who exactly do you think you're fooling? Let me help you: NOBODY. I don't know why you are torturing yourself like this. Almost everybody realizes that you're a nazi bigot who posts here simply because of his hatred for Jews.

It just takes my breath away that this was posted without a hint of irony.

It would be really refreshing if we could at times stick to the topic without the constant abuse, racism and hatred that we see in posts like this one. Stronger posters and stronger people don't need it.

Who do you think you fool, Roudy?

I stopped trying to figure out the insanity and motivations of anti Semites a long time ago.

Start by sorting out your own.

You are almost without question the weakest poster in these forums - you might ask yourself why you rely on racism, abuse and bullying to get a point across.

Last edited:
I am Jewish, Reform-style. My culture is different from my neighbors, also Reform. We are different from Jews who never go to synagogue. We are also different from the ultra-orthodox. Comparing us Reform to Jews of any other country - different again. Antisemites like to put us all in one box, thereby equating us to the antisemitic cartoons and generalizations, so that is why there is no Jewish culture. I am different to others, and they are different to me. To state otherwise is ridiculous.

Yes, mine would be very weird culture that Italian Jews. It's a mish mash of sephardic Jew, internationalism, middle eastern, and American. All lumped up into one. LOL

Really? American?

And which of those influences do you see in the likes of Primo Levi, Alberto Moravia or Modigliani?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back