Poll: Should SCOTUS override states' rights regarding when to stop counting ballots?

Should SCOTUS override states' rights regarding when to stop counting ballots?

• Total voters
I feel very strongly that SCOTUS should not tell states when to stop counting their ballots - especially in the middle of a pandemic - and a presidential election. That should be totally left up to the states and their respective election laws. I think this is something that both Democrats and Republicans should be able to agree on. What do you think?
My view is simple. You’re a leftist. That means you’re deranged. So whatever your opinion on this is, mine will be the opposite. Thank you for your poll.

The idiocy of right wing voters. The left are wrong. The left are always wrong. Anything you say is wrong. Even when you have proof that you're correct, I will oppose anything you say.

This is why the USA is in the mess they're in now. Because you oppose anything the other side says, just because a leftist said it. Not because you've look at any ideas and discussed their merits, because you don't. You look at who said it and oppose anything the other side proposes, while supporting the toxic policies that have destroyed your economy.
Please stop interfering in our elections

I'm not "interfering in your elections". Pointing out ignorance, stupidity, and partisanship is hardly "interfering". I'm not lying about who I am, or pretending to be someone other than a Canadian commenting on a public message board.
About stuff you have no business in, you don't know the laws or our Constitution, you obviously don't know how our Government works or how our state Governments work.

I know all of the above. I studied US history and civics. And I worked in international law.
And yet you post idiotic ill informed opinions not based in law or fact. Did you know it is a FEDERAL LAW that every State MUST PURGE their rolls in a timely manner? Yet as I recall you were one of those idiots whining when states actually did it.

I feel very strongly that SCOTUS should not tell states when to stop counting their ballots - especially in the middle of a pandemic - and a presidential election. That should be totally left up to the states and their respective election laws. I think this is something that both Democrats and Republicans should be able to agree on. What do you think?

Of course you do....
All dems are in favor of all avenues that allow cheating.

Credible proof? Democrats aren't the ones engaging in voter suppression.
What voter suppression? You folks toss that word a lot without qualifying it.
Voter suppression is requiring that only LIVE US citizens with proper I.D. be allowed to vote.
Also....forcing them to stand in line is voter suppression.

Why is it that white people don't have to stand in line for hours? Hmmm? That’s voter suppression. Not having enough polling stations in minority areas is voter suppression.

Of course you do....
All dems are in favor of all avenues that allow cheating.

Credible proof? Democrats aren't the ones engaging in voter suppression.
What voter suppression? You folks toss that word a lot without qualifying it.
Voter suppression is requiring that only LIVE US citizens with proper I.D. be allowed to vote.
Also....forcing them to stand in line is voter suppression.

Why is it that white people don't have to stand in line for hours? Hmmm? That’s voter suppression. Not having enough polling stations in minority areas is voter suppression.
LOL provide an actual link to any proof that white people don't stand in line. Several elections here in NC I stood in a damn long line to vote. I am white and the majority of my neighborhood is white.

This is scary. Kavanaugh wants the election results finalized on Election Day.

WASHINGTON — Associate Justice Brett Kavanaugh echoed President Donald Trump’s position on having results of a presidential election finalized on Election Day, perhaps previewing a Supreme Court fight over absentee ballots that could decide a contested outcome.

Supreme Court: Kavanaugh echoes Trump on counting late ballots

Brett Kavanaugh signals he is open to stealing the election for Trump
“Brett Kavanaugh Signals He’s Open to Stealing the Election for Trump”

Of course he is.

Such is the reprehensible right.

Yep.....you only want them to keep counting so you can give them time to win after they lost on election night.

Really? Where did I say that? I just want ALL valid ballots counted according to respective state laws. California allows about 17 days.

My view is simple. You’re a leftist. That means you’re deranged. So whatever your opinion on this is, mine will be the opposite. Thank you for your poll.

The idiocy of right wing voters. The left are wrong. The left are always wrong. Anything you say is wrong. Even when you have proof that you're correct, I will oppose anything you say.

This is why the USA is in the mess they're in now. Because you oppose anything the other side says, just because a leftist said it. Not because you've look at any ideas and discussed their merits, because you don't. You look at who said it and oppose anything the other side proposes, while supporting the toxic policies that have destroyed your economy.

I'm not "interfering in your elections". Pointing out ignorance, stupidity, and partisanship is hardly "interfering". I'm not lying about who I am, or pretending to be someone other than a Canadian commenting on a public message board.
About stuff you have no business in, you don't know the laws or our Constitution, you obviously don't know how our Government works or how our state Governments work.

I know all of the above. I studied US history and civics. And I worked in international law.
And yet you post idiotic ill informed opinions not based in law or fact. Did you know it is a FEDERAL LAW that every State MUST PURGE their rolls in a timely manner? Yet as I recall you were one of those idiots whining when states actually did it.

It wasn’t the purge I was objecting to but the manner in which it was carried out. And the courts agreed with me and shit it down.

The time to purge the rolls is not 6 months before the election, and without attempting to contact those whose names are being removed.

It wasn’t the purge I was objecting to but the manner in which it was carried out. And the courts agreed with me and shit it down.

The time to purge the rolls is not 6 months before the election, and without attempting to contact those whose names are being removed.

Amen! Thank you!

Public US Messageboard and spreading your leftist propaganda and bad mouthing our President. You are evil and you are interfering.

This is already settled law. In 2000 the Supreme Court stopped Gore in Florida and ended the bullshit. As you Gals would say with Roe v Wade, it's done and settled.

Conservative Supreme Court Justices Seem To Be Itching To Steal The Election For Trump

Republican appointees Samuel Alito, Neil Gorsuch and Clarence Thomas are willing to throw out some ballots after the election.

The U.S. Supreme Court issued two 5-3 decisions Tuesday evening, declining to stop a Pennsylvania Supreme Court ruling and a North Carolina Board of Elections order that both extended the deadlines for mail-in ballots to be received in their states.

The Pennsylvania Supreme Court ruling allowed ballots postmarked by Election Day to still count if they are delivered by mail up to three days after the election. The order from the North Carolina Board of Elections and a state court extended the receipt deadline to Nov. 12. Those extensions remain in effect. For now.

Though both decisions are clear temporary victories for voting rights advocates, the dissents in each case suggest an ominous possibility. At least three justices ― Samuel Alito, Clarence Thomas and Neil Gorsuch ― are open to taking up the Pennsylvania case again and potentially throwing out any ballots that arrive within the three days after Nov. 3.

In the Pennsylvania case, Gorsuch and Thomas joined a dissenting statement written by Alito suggesting that they would overturn the state court’s ruling and potentially rehear the case and invalidate any votes received during the extended period. In the North Carolina case, Gorsuch wrote a dissent joined by Alito calling the Board of Elections’ extension of the receipt deadline “egregious.” Thomas dissented but did not join Gorsuch’s dissent opinion.

This means Alito, Thomas and Gorsuch are open to a legal challenge brought by President Donald Trump after Election Day that would invalidate votes cast legally in Pennsylvania after the votes are cast ― when Trump and the justices would know how many votes he needs to have invalidated to win reelection. Gorsuch doesn’t explicitly state his support for tossing ballots after the election in the North Carolina case, but it appears the same logic would apply because both cases raise the same legal question.

Since the new 6-3 conservative majority on the court requires two conservatives to join the three Democratic appointees on the bench to flip any result to the liberal side by 5-4, Kavanaugh and Barrett appear to be the two potential swing justices who could join Chief Justice John Roberts, who has indicated he sides with the three liberals on this particular question, to not steal the 2020 election for Trump.

The election can only be usurped by the court if the margin is so close that the number of ballots received in the period of time in question can change the result. The best way to avoid that is for voters to not mail their ballots at this point. Voters can instead return their mail-in ballots in person to avoid any risk that their ballots might get delivered late and be invalidated by the court.

Conservative Supreme Court Justices Seem To Be Itching To Steal The Election For Trump

Dangerously unAmerican! What do you think?

This is scary. Kavanaugh wants the election results finalized on Election Day.

WASHINGTON — Associate Justice Brett Kavanaugh echoed President Donald Trump’s position on having results of a presidential election finalized on Election Day, perhaps previewing a Supreme Court fight over absentee ballots that could decide a contested outcome.

Supreme Court: Kavanaugh echoes Trump on counting late ballots

Brett Kavanaugh signals he is open to stealing the election for Trump
Why shouldn't we have results on election day? It's not like pull the date out of a hat. If some states are too stupid to prepare that's on them, not country as a whole.

states should be forced to obey their own laws

Forum List

Back