Pope allows priests to forgive women who have abortions

The only thing more devoid of spirituality than a religion based upon a male dominator god, is a male dominator god religion with anointed ostensibly asexual middle men passing judgment on human beings with regard to sex.

One of the problems with organized religion is that the Pope, in this instance, can change rules at the drop of a hat. Which in turn makes me think the religion is more political than based on the Bible.

I was told as a kid from a Catholic friend that I was going to hell because my family did not attend church and ate meat on Friday. Then the meat thing changed and people could get a divorce and remarry in the church if they "paid up."

I'll keep my relationship with Jesus to myself and let them play with the rules they want in a certain time. I don't have time for that rubbish.

This makes me wonder if abortion is no longer the large sin that it used to be considered.

Good to see that the Pope believes in forgiveness for everything though.

One of the problems with organized religion is that the Pope, in this instance, can change rules at the drop of a hat. Which in turn makes me think the religion is more political than based on the Bible.

I was told as a kid from a Catholic friend that I was going to hell because my family did not attend church and ate meat on Friday. Then the meat thing changed and people could get a divorce and remarry in the church if they "paid up."

I'll keep my relationship with Jesus to myself and let them play with the rules they want in a certain time. I don't have time for that rubbish.

I hear ya Jackson. Why should I have a priest or a pastor tell me what God's will is for me? I thought that God gave free will to everyone.

I also believe that God is too large to be contained in just one belief system or dogma, and I really don't think He cares if we eat meat or not, and as long as we acknowledge Him and try to live by the 10 Commandments, do you REALLY need to go to a fancy building ran by a dude in a dress (reference to Catholic priest robes)?

This makes me wonder if abortion is no longer the large sin that it used to be considered.

Good to see that the Pope believes in forgiveness for everything though.
The Pope is merely a man. Of course there is forgiveness and it has to be requested by the sinner. What happened when they were covering for child predators within their ranks?

I hear ya Jackson. Why should I have a priest or a pastor tell me what God's will is for me? I thought that God gave free will to everyone.

I also believe that God is too large to be contained in just one belief system or dogma, and I really don't think He cares if we eat meat or not, and as long as we acknowledge Him and try to live by the 10 Commandments, do you REALLY need to go to a fancy building ran by a dude in a dress (reference to Catholic priest robes)?

I think if we blindly follow any mortal man we could be led astray. If you have God in your heart and live according to his Word, I feel saved. (Of course I could be unpleasantly surprised when I reach those gates...:()There's many paths to the mountain top.

Note to non-Catholics: Thanks for your uninformed and ignorant opinions about the Catholic Church, but they don't mean shit!

It's always been there is one unforgivable sin, blasphemy against the Holy Spirit".

This isn't news

Yes it is, because it's been moved from being forgiven by a bishop (which requires time, getting an appointment, and very possible long distance travel), to being forgiven by a priest (much more accessible at your local church).

I think if we blindly follow any mortal man we could be led astray. If you have God in your heart and live according to his Word, I feel saved. (Of course I could be unpleasantly surprised when I reach those gates...:()There's many paths to the mountain top.

Yep, doesn't matter if you come at it from the north, south, east or west, all paths lead to the top of the mountain.

Note to non-Catholics: Thanks for your uninformed and ignorant opinions about the Catholic Church, but they don't mean shit!
The far and alt right Catholics here certainly do not speak for the Authority or Spirit of their church.

Well, if you're a Catholic, please tell us your opinions on this particular ruling by the Pope.

Don't just bitch, tell us where we're wrong, why we're wrong, and what you think about the Pope's decree. Do you agree with it or not?

It's always been there is one unforgivable sin, blasphemy against the Holy Spirit".

This isn't news

Yes it is, because it's been moved from being forgiven by a bishop (which requires time, getting an appointment, and very possible long distance travel), to being forgiven by a priest (much more accessible at your local church).

Yeah like I'm buying what you're selling. Hint, moron I'm a Catholic. Any sin but blasphemy against the holy spirit is forgivable. That's like Catholic 101, hell our youngest is in the middle of confirmation classes and she can tell you that.

This isn't news

Yeah like I'm buying what you're selling. Hint, moron I'm a Catholic. Any sin but blasphemy against the holy spirit is forgivable. That's like Catholic 101, hell our youngest is in the middle of confirmation classes and she can tell you that.
Just curious...can you ask God for forgiveness in your home or do you have to go to Confession?

This isn't news

Just curious...can you ask God for forgiveness in your home or do you have to go to Confession?

Some Catholics adhere sin must be forgiven through confession with a priest and some do not. I go to confession but I also ask God for forgiveness w/o the "middle man"

There isn't any reason for any of us to get upset with the beliefs of others. I'm firmly convinced God opens his heart to all of us who seek him. I don't worry about anyone other than my soul. I am so grateful for the blessings and lessons with which He has provided me. I often think of the day my eyes meet with those of Jesus. What an awesome moment that will be!

Forum List

Back