Pope Francis Answers Criticism from the Political Rght

Barb

Carpe Scrotum
Apr 2, 2009
in a house.
Artfully

La Stampa - "Never be afraid of tenderness"

Some of the passages in the “Evangelii Gaudium” attracted the criticism of ultraconservatives in the USA. As a Pope, what does it feel like to be called a “Marxist”?

“The Marxist ideology is wrong. But I have met many Marxists in my life who are good people, so I don’t feel offended.”

The most striking part of the Exhortation was where it refers to an economy that “kills”…

“There is nothing in the Exhortation that cannot be found in the social Doctrine of the Church. I wasn’t speaking from a technical point of view, what I was trying to do was to give a picture of what is going on. The only specific quote I used was the one regarding the “trickle-down theories” which assume that economic growth, encouraged by a free market, will inevitably succeed in bringing about greater justice and social inclusiveness in the world. The promise was that when the glass was full, it would overflow, benefitting the poor. But what happens instead, is that when the glass is full, it magically gets bigger nothing ever comes out for the poor. This was the only reference to a specific theory. I was not, I repeat, speaking from a technical point of view but according to the Church’s social doctrine. This does not mean being a Marxist.”

and furthermore:

What is the right relationship between the Church and politics?

“The relationship needs to be parallel and convergent at the same time. Parallel because each of us has his or her own path to take and his or her different tasks. Convergent only in helping others. When relationships converge first, without the people, or without taking the people into account, that is when the bond with political power is formed, leading the Church to rot: business, compromises… The relationship needs to proceed in a parallel way, each with its own method, tasks and vocation, converging only in the common good. Politics is noble; it is one of the highest forms of charity, as Paul VI used to say. We sully it when we mix it with business. The relationship between the Church and political power can also be corrupted if common good is not the only converging point.”

Not only is the American "religious right" neither religious nor right, they have consistently been on the wrong side of history...and now the church.

The far right religious folks are afraid of messing with the Pope. Rightfully so.

I don't, and your erroneous religious affiliation merely reinforces my point. :lol:

It's actually a kind of confusion. The Pope does not speak for all Christians. He is not a Christian leader. He is a Catholic leader and his opinions, rules, changes in policy do not affect all Christians. They might affect Catholics.

The left has seized on the Pope and now wants to somehow fashion him into a leader and a spokesman for all Christians.

It isn't that the "religious right" in the US at least is afraid of messing with the Pope. The Pope is just being ignored as an effective force. The Pope doesn't need messing with. He's a Catholic. I doubt the Baptists, Lutherans, Methodists or any other Church even mentions the Pope or what he wants.

Artfully

Some of the passages in the “Evangelii Gaudium” attracted the criticism of ultraconservatives in the USA. As a Pope, what does it feel like to be called a “Marxist”?

“The Marxist ideology is wrong. But I have met many Marxists in my life who are good people, so I don’t feel offended.”

The most striking part of the Exhortation was where it refers to an economy that “kills”…

“There is nothing in the Exhortation that cannot be found in the social Doctrine of the Church. I wasn’t speaking from a technical point of view, what I was trying to do was to give a picture of what is going on. The only specific quote I used was the one regarding the “trickle-down theories” which assume that economic growth, encouraged by a free market, will inevitably succeed in bringing about greater justice and social inclusiveness in the world. The promise was that when the glass was full, it would overflow, benefitting the poor. But what happens instead, is that when the glass is full, it magically gets bigger nothing ever comes out for the poor. This was the only reference to a specific theory. I was not, I repeat, speaking from a technical point of view but according to the Church’s social doctrine. This does not mean being a Marxist."

Pope Francis does NOT support leftie marxism......get a grip on yourselves.....charity or helping the poor does not mean forced redistribution....forced redistribution is actually THEFT....which as you know theft is against the Commandments....

what is REALLY funny is how you lefties turn on a dime to praise the Pope when you think (wrongly) he is supporting your ideology.....the Pope is the leader of the world against abortion and gay marriage.....he's the same kind of person you normally would call a 'far right whacko evangelist'.....it must be a love-hate relationship.....:lol:

Last edited:
Artfully

“There is nothing in the Exhortation that cannot be found in the social Doctrine of the Church. I wasn’t speaking from a technical point of view, what I was trying to do was to give a picture of what is going on. The only specific quote I used was the one regarding the “trickle-down theories” which assume that economic growth, encouraged by a free market, will inevitably succeed in bringing about greater justice and social inclusiveness in the world. The promise was that when the glass was full, it would overflow, benefitting the poor. But what happens instead, is that when the glass is full, it magically gets bigger nothing ever comes out for the poor. This was the only reference to a specific theory. I was not, I repeat, speaking from a technical point of view but according to the Church’s social doctrine. This does not mean being a Marxist."

Pope Francis does NOT support leftie marxism......get a grip on yourselves.....charity or helping the poor does not mean forced redistribution....forced redistribution is actually THEFT....which as you know is against the Commandments....

what is REALLY funny is how you lefties turn on a dime to praise the Pope when you think (wrongly) he is supporting your ideology.....the Pope is the leader of the world against abortion and gay marriage.....he's the same kind of person you normally would call a 'far right whacko evangelist'.....it must be a love-hate relationship.....:lol:

:cool:

when the glass is full, it magically gets bigger nothing ever comes out for the poor

When you look at Red States, you know there must be Republican poor.

[/color]

Pope Francis does NOT support leftie marxism......get a grip on yourselves.....charity or helping the poor does not mean forced redistribution....forced redistribution is actually THEFT....which as you know is against the Commandments....

:cool:

the Pope loves all sinners...

Last edited:
I seriously doubt that.......... :cool:

Well, LAST week they weren't. THIS week seems to be waiting for marching orders.

:dunno:
They backed off because the Pope came out and disavowed the rumors he was a Marxist. ... :cool:

He also said it wasn't offensive to be called a Marxist - simply that it was the wrong label to apply - because everything he said that was taken as Marxist (And not by US!) was actually Church Canon.

:eusa_angel:

Well, LAST week they weren't. THIS week seems to be waiting for marching orders.

:dunno:
They backed off because the Pope came out and disavowed the rumors he was a Marxist. ... :cool:

He also said it wasn't offensive to be called a Marxist - simply that it was the wrong label to apply - because everything he said that was taken as Marxist (And not by US!) was actually Church Canon.
As a Jesuit, there is no doubt the new Pope is well versed and sympathetic to 'Liberation Theology' of the southern America's.

Which is basically communism lacquered with a thin veneer of Catholicism. ... :cool:

Forum List

Back