Portugal wildfire: 61 killed, victims burned in cars as they fled

Dalia

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2016
France
bonjour, here in France it is very hot it will be all the week 35° the same for Portugal .

A raging wildfire has ripped through central Portugal, killing 61 people and injuring dozens more in what officials there describe as the "greatest wildfire tragedy of recent years."
At least 54 people were injured in the blaze Saturday, including eight firefighters and a child. Four of the firefighters were in critical condition Sunday, according to Paulo Santos, an operations and emergencies official with the National Relief Operations Command in Lisbon.

The government has declared three days of mourning.
The head of Portugal's judiciary police told reporters the fire was started by natural causes.
"We have been able to determine that the origin of the fire was caused by dry thunderstorms," José Maria Almeida Rodrigues said, according to the Portuguese state-run news agency Lusa.

Some victims were burned to death in their cars as they tried to flee, officials said.
170618083548-06-portugal-wirldfire-0618-exlarge-169.jpg

A burned-out car on the road after a wildfire in Pedrogao, central Portugal, on June 18. " class="media__image" src="//i2.cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/170618083548-06-portugal-wirldfire-0618-
A burned-out car on the road after a wildfire in Pedrogao, central Portugal, on June 18.
The blaze spread Saturday to the Pedrógão Grande community, forcing residents to flee the area to escape towering flames. Pedrógão Grande is about 120 miles north of Lisbon.
"Many cars could not get out and people burned to death inside their cars," Interior Ministry official Jorge Gomes told CNN affiliate TVI. Firefighters were still fighting the flames Sunday.
170618083543-03-portugal-wirldfire-0618-exlarge-169.jpg

A firefighter rests next to a fire combat truck in Penela, Coimbra, on June 18.

The municipality's Mayor, Valdemar Alves, said there were areas "completely surrounded" by the blaze and not enough firefighters to battle the flames.
"The violence of this fire was such that I am certain many people have died," Alves told TVI. "I am shocked with this death toll."
Authorities said the number of victims may rise as fire officials inspect the villages affected.
More than 700 firefighters and other emergency responders are battling the blaze.
Portuguese Prime Minister António Costa said schools in the municipalities of Pedrogão, Figueiró and Castanheira will be closed "for an indefinite period" and exams will be postponed.
CNN Map

194.png
194.png
193.png
193.png
195.png
195.png
194.png
194.png
193.png
193.png
195.png
195.png

Portugal's President, Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa, offered a word of comfort to those still battling the fires and said that "all that could be done was done."
Reaction pouring in
European countries are coming together to assist Portugal. France and Spain have sent planes to help battle the blaze, the European Commission said.
"We express our condolences to those that have lost loved ones," said Christos Stylianides of the European Commission. "The EU is fully ready to help. All will be done to assist the authorities and people of Portugal at this time of need."
170618035325-portugal-fire-exlarge-169.jpg

170618035325-portugal-fire-large-169.jpg

Enormous blaze spreads in Portugal 01:09
"Overwhelmed by the tragedy of Pedrógão Grande. The Portuguese people have our solidarity, support and affection," Spain's President Mariano Rajoy Brey wrote on Twitter.
Pope Francis prayed for the victims during his weekly prayer on Sunday.
"I express my closeness with the dear Portuguese people for the devastating fire that is affecting the forests around Pedrógão Grande, causing many deaths and injuries. We pray in silence," the Pope said.
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi also expressed his condolences on Twitter.

Portugal wildfire: 61 killed, victims burned in cars as they fled - CNN.com

bonjour, here in France it is very hot it will be all the week 35° the same for Portugal .

A raging wildfire has ripped through central Portugal, killing 61 people and injuring dozens more in what officials there describe as the "greatest wildfire tragedy of recent years."
At least 54 people were injured in the blaze Saturday, including eight firefighters and a child. Four of the firefighters were in critical condition Sunday, according to Paulo Santos, an operations and emergencies official with the National Relief Operations Command in Lisbon.

The head of Portugal's judiciary police told reporters the fire was started by natural causes.
"We have been able to determine that the origin of the fire was caused by dry thunderstorms," José Maria Almeida Rodrigues said, according to the Portuguese state-run news agency Lusa.

Some victims were burned to death in their cars as they tried to flee, officials said.

A burned-out car on the road after a wildfire in Pedrogao, central Portugal, on June 18. " class="media__image" src="//i2.cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/170618083548-06-portugal-wirldfire-0618-
A burned-out car on the road after a wildfire in Pedrogao, central Portugal, on June 18.
The blaze spread Saturday to the Pedrógão Grande community, forcing residents to flee the area to escape towering flames. Pedrógão Grande is about 120 miles north of Lisbon.
"Many cars could not get out and people burned to death inside their cars," Interior Ministry official Jorge Gomes told CNN affiliate TVI. Firefighters were still fighting the flames Sunday.

The municipality's Mayor, Valdemar Alves, said there were areas "completely surrounded" by the blaze and not enough firefighters to battle the flames.
"The violence of this fire was such that I am certain many people have died," Alves told TVI. "I am shocked with this death toll."
Authorities said the number of victims may rise as fire officials inspect the villages affected.
More than 700 firefighters and other emergency responders are battling the blaze.
Portuguese Prime Minister António Costa said schools in the municipalities of Pedrogão, Figueiró and Castanheira will be closed "for an indefinite period" and exams will be postponed.
CNN Map

194.png
194.png
193.png
193.png
195.png
195.png
194.png
194.png
193.png
193.png
195.png
195.png

Portugal's President, Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa, offered a word of comfort to those still battling the fires and said that "all that could be done was done."
Reaction pouring in
European countries are coming together to assist Portugal. France and Spain have sent planes to help battle the blaze, the European Commission said.
"We express our condolences to those that have lost loved ones," said Christos Stylianides of the European Commission. "The EU is fully ready to help. All will be done to assist the authorities and people of Portugal at this time of need."

"Overwhelmed by the tragedy of Pedrógão Grande. The Portuguese people have our solidarity, support and affection," Spain's President Mariano Rajoy Brey wrote on Twitter.
"I express my closeness with the dear Portuguese people for the devastating fire that is affecting the forests around Pedrógão Grande, causing many deaths and injuries. We pray in silence," the Pope said.

Pillars (cats) is known to flick her buts out the window still lit.

Look into it.

CNN Map

194.png
194.png
193.png
193.png
195.png
195.png
194.png
194.png
193.png
193.png
195.png
195.png

Reaction pouring in

Obrigado. Thanks for posting this.

Last year we had fires all over this region due to a drought. Smoke everywhere, even 100 miles away.

CNN Map

194.png
194.png
193.png
193.png
195.png
195.png
194.png
194.png
193.png
193.png
195.png
195.png

Reaction pouring in

Last year we had fires all over this region due to a drought. Smoke everywhere, even 100 miles away.
Hello Pogo, it is to hot in Europe the fire is this active and people are scare in Potugal

CNN Map

194.png
194.png
193.png
193.png
195.png
195.png
194.png
194.png
193.png
193.png
195.png
195.png

Reaction pouring in

Hello Pogo, it is to hot in Europe the fire is this active and people are scare in Potugal

Bonsoir Dalia. Stay safe :smiliehug:

We are getting hot here although it's raining at the same time. We just had a sunshower. We should see rainbows soon.

CNN Map

194.png
194.png
193.png
193.png
195.png
195.png
194.png
194.png
193.png
193.png
195.png
195.png

Reaction pouring in

Bonsoir Dalia. Stay safe :smiliehug:

We are getting hot here although it's raining at the same time. We just had a sunshower. We should see rainbows soon.
Merci Pogo :), it is very hot in the region where i live but it is evrywhere in France Normandie they have 32 ° today. i hope you guy's in the USA wont live a hot summer with the risk of fire.

California has fires every year. Most of them are arson caused by the campfires of illegal aliens hiding out in the hills. Fires made worse by bizarre and incomprehensible environmental protection laws forbidding clearing away dead brush.

Poor Portugal, it's fire problems made worse by a population of drug addicts too sotted to know what they are doing.

Dozens of people lose their lives with many being incinerated to death...
eek.gif

Deadliest ever forest fire blazes through central Portugal, dozens burnt to death as firefighters battle fiery flames
Sunday 18th June, 2017 -- A forest fire, that is being described as the deadliest ever single forest to rage through Portugal, led to dozens of people losing their lives and many being incinerated to death.
Jorge Gomes, the secretary of state for internal affairs said that the devastating forest blaze that broke out in central Portugal on Saturday has left 58 people dead with 18 of them being 'incinerated' while they were trapped in their cars as flames swept over a road between the towns of Figueiro dos Vinhos and Castanheira de Pera - an inland area with many hotels and holiday resorts. In addition, 59 people were injured and many people still remain missing as homes are wrecked due to the inferno about 150 kilometers (95 miles) northeast of Lisbon. Gomes added that three others died from smoke inhalation in Figueiro dos Vinhos.

Meanwhile, describing the blaze as “the biggest tragedy,” the Portuguese prime minister, António Costa said, “We are facing the greatest tragedy of human victims of recent times by a disaster of this type.” Reports stated that the fire, that broke out as the country witnesses temperatures of up to 40C, is possibly the deadliest ever single forest blaze to hit Portugal. Authorities claimed that over 600 firefighters were battling the flames and were helped by Spanish rescuers as teams of psychologists were deployed to care for survivors, who are 'in shock' and have lost relatives. Firemen are currently battling the blaze on four different fronts, fanned by the heat and wind.

cus1497790172.jpg

On Sunday morning, emergency services described the “horrible scenario” and described the blaze as “almost impossible to control.” The head of the national judicial police told Portuguese media that a lightning strike is believed to have sparked the blaze in the Pedrogao Grande area after investigators found a tree that was hit during a 'dry thunderstorm.’ With many people still missing, authorities fear that the death toll might rise further. Officials also noted that several roads of the Pedrogao Grande area, 50 km (30 miles) south-east of Coimbra, which is a UNESCO world heritage site and university town popular with tourists and international students, have been cut off.

Valdemar Alves, mayor of Pedrogao Grande said, “This is a region that has had fires because of its forests, but we cannot remember a tragedy of these proportions. I am completely stunned by the number of deaths.” Further, authorities in central Portugal believe that dry thunderstorms, that are triggered when falling water evaporates before reaching the ground because of high temperatures, are responsible for fueling the fire. The Prime Minister meanwhile said that firefighting crews were having difficulties in approaching the area because the fire was “very intense.” He added that Portuguese authorities were working on identifying the victims and that Spanish rescuers would assist in efforts to control the blazes. Like most southern European countries, Portugal is prone to forest fires in the dry summer months.

MORE

See also:

Portugal awaits foreign help to fight deadly wildfires
Monday 19th June, 2017 -- More than 2,000 firefighters in Portugal battled Monday to contain major wildfires in the central region of the country, where one blaze killed 62 people, while authorities came under mounting criticism for not doing more to prevent the tragedy.
Reinforcements, including more water-dropping planes from Spain, France and Italy, were due to arrive as part of a European Union cooperation program, officials said. Portugal is observing three days of national mourning after the deaths Saturday night around the town of Pedrogao Grande, about 150 kilometers (90 miles) north of Lisbon, which is by far the deadliest on record. Scorching weather, with temperatures surpassing 40 C (104 F), as well as strong winds and dry woodland after weeks with little rain fueled the blazes. The fire area is covered in dense woodland over steep hills.

Meanwhile, Portugal's leading environmental lobby group, Quercus, issued a statement Monday blaming the blazes on "forest management errors and bad political decisions" by governments over recent decades. The association rebuked authorities for allowing the planting of huge swathes of eucalyptus , the country's most common and most profitable species - but one that's often blamed for stoking blazes. Quercus also said official bodies don't do enough to coordinate wildfire prevention. Emergency services have been criticized for not closing a road where 47 of the deaths occurred as people fled the flames Saturday night. The government has acknowledged that the huge fires occasionally led to a breakdown in communications.

3fc6044139e049f1befcd63ee0835a2e_0-big.jpg

Portuguese firefighters work to stop a forest fire from reaching the village of Figueiro dos Vinhos central Portugal, Sunday, June 18, 2017. Portugal's president says the country's pain "knows no end" as it mourns at least 61 people killed in the deadliest wildfire in memory.​

Wildfires are an annual scourge in Portugal. Between 1993 and 2013, Portugal recorded the highest annual number of forest fires in southern Europe, including Spain, France, Italy and Greece, according to a report last year by the European Environment Agency, even though it is the smallest of those countries.

The government announced a raft of new measures against wildfires in March. They included restrictions on eucalyptus plantations and a simplified and cheaper program of property registration that seeks to ascertain which land is being neglected. Not all of those reforms have come into legal force yet. Statistics show that 35 percent of Portugal is covered by woodland, slightly above the 28-nation European Union average of 31 percent. The forest industry, especially the production of paper pulp, accounts for around 3 percent of GDP.

News from The Associated Press

Related:

Portugal forest fires: Three days of mourning for 62 victims
Sun, 18 Jun 2017 : Many were burned to death in their cars as they tried to flee the fires in central Portugal.
Portugal has declared three days of mourning for the 62 victims of one of the country's deadliest forest fires. Four children are among the victims, many of whom were found dead inside their cars as they tried to flee the central forested region of Pedrógão Grande. Hundreds of firefighters are continuing to tackle the blaze on several fronts. Prime Minister Antonio Costa called it "the greatest tragedy we have seen in recent years in terms of forest fires". He said it was thought to have been sparked by a lightning strike.

_96538449_f5c3701c-f320-465e-be1f-bf3032953d29.jpg

The wildfires spread fast on Saturday, and across several fronts​

Four firefighters are among the 54 people injured in the fire, which is raging in several parts of a mountainous area some 200km north-east of the capital Lisbon. There are fears the death toll could rise, as a number of people are still missing. The period of national mourning ends on Tuesday.

Bodies found inside cars

Emergency service workers were battling 156 fires across the country on Sunday, Prime Minister Costa said, adding that most of the victims had died in just one of them. Secretary of State for the Interior Jorge Gomes said that most had died from smoke inhalation and burns, while two were killed in a road accident related to the fires. Thirty bodies were found inside cars, with another 17 next to the vehicles, on one road leading on to the IC8 motorway. Another 11 died in a village next to the motorway.

_96535397_a4dcf31c-b490-475c-97e6-0c687cd4d9df.jpg

More than 1,600 firefighters are fighting five of the main fires, supported by about 400 vehicles and 18 aircraft, Portugal's Público reports. According to the prime minister, just 11 fires are still active but he said the authorities were "particularly worried about two of them". They have sent two army battalions to help the emergency services.

'I could have died, I should have died' - fire survivor's tale

California has fires every year. Most of them are arson caused by the campfires of illegal aliens hiding out in the hills. Fires made worse by bizarre and incomprehensible environmental protection laws forbidding clearing away dead brush.

Poor Portugal, it's fire problems made worse by a population of drug addicts too sotted to know what they are doing.
The classic post-that-shoots-itself-in-the-foot-with-every-sentence. Everybody's favorite.
shoot-foot.gif

Nothing like stepping all over the bodies of innocent victims on the way to internet POINTS.

Last edited:

The classic post-that-shoots-itself-in-the-foot-with-every-sentence. Everybody's favorite.
shoot-foot.gif

Nothing like stepping all over the bodies of innocent victims on the way to internet POINTS.
didnt you know Pogo, some pot head threw a joint in the brush which started it and the firemen were so high they did not know which way to go to get there....ask tipsy she will tell you it in more detail....because she knows these things...

Fire an' flames an' vapors o' smoke...
eek.gif

Portugal, Corsica fight huge fires
Mon, Aug 14, 2017 - Firefighters on Saturday managed to contain huge wildfires in Portugal and the French island of Corsica, although hot weather meant the risk of them spreading again remained high.
]
Nearly 1,000 people were evacuated in Corsica overnight, mostly tourists staying at campsites, as 2,000 hectares of scrubland was destroyed, although no casualties were reported. At Cap Corse, the most northerly point of the Mediterranean island where the fire had spread, the blaze was “contained but not controlled,” local authorities said. “It’s hell,” said Christian Burchi, a 50-year-old Sisco resident. “We tried to extinguish the flames with two buckets of water and a ridiculous hose. Everywhere is burning.”

About 180 firefighters, bolstered by reinforcements from the mainland, were battling the flames aided by three fire-bombing aircraft. French Minister of the Interior Gerard Collomb praised the “admirable work” of the hundreds of emergency services. In Portugal, firefighters managed to bring two of the major blazes under control in the center of the country by Saturday afternoon, the civil protection authority announced, while warning that the heatwave could reignite the fires.

P05-170814-309.jpg

A man fights a forest fire near the village of Cioga do Campo, Portugal, on Saturday​

Firefighters have stopped the spreading of the flames from the forest fire that raged in the region of Abrantes since Wednesday, authorities said.[ However, more than 500 firefighters, nearly 200 vehicles and three water-bombing helicopters remain on standby should the fires flare up again, they added. A record 220 fires had started on Friday alone, civil protection agency spokeswoman Patricia Gaspar said.

Some residents have voiced anger at authorities after a season of repeated wildfires which have stretched resources. “Firefighters can’t perform miracles, they are exhausted,” Bracal resident Lucia Ricardo said. After an uncommonly dry winter and spring, nearly 79 percent of the Portuguese mainland was enduring extreme or severe drought at the end of last month, the national weather office said.

Portugal, Corsica fight huge fires - Taipei Times

See also:

Firefighters contain huge wildfires in Corsica and Portugal
August 12, 2017 - Firefighters managed to contain huge wildfires in Portugal and the French island of Corsica on Saturday, though hot weather meant the risk of them spreading again remained high.
Almost 1,000 people were evacuated in Corsica overnight, mostly tourists staying at campsites, as 2,000 hectares (nearly 5,000 acres) of scrubland was destroyed, although no casualties were reported. The evacuees were put up in schools and other temporary shelters. A man suspected of starting five fires in Bastia, a town with a population of 40,000 in northeast Corsica, was arrested and will remain in detention at least through the weekend, officials said. At Cap Corse, the most northerly point of the Mediterranean island where the fire had spread, the blaze was "contained but not controlled", according to the local authorities Saturday. "It's hell," Christian Burchi, a 50-year-old Sisco resident said. "We tried to extinguish the flames with two buckets of water and a ridiculous hose. Everywhere is burning."

273da11117081d994a6638167ef8c8476e3abaf9.jpg

Firemen seek to control a blaze at Pietracorbara on August 11, 2017, on the French island of Corsica​

Around 180 firefighters, bolstered by reinforcements from the mainland, were battling the flames aided by three fire-bombing aircraft. Bernard Weber, a 60-year-old Frenchman on holiday in Corsica, spoke of "huge flames everywhere". "It's a bit scary," said a 36-year-old Czech tourist who gave her name as Monika. She said her relatives would spend the night in a school building in Sisco. France's Interior Minister Gerard Collomb praised the "admirable work" of the hundreds of emergency services workers battling the blazes.

- Freak dry spells -

In Portugal firefighters managed to bring two of the major blazes under control in the centre of the country by Saturday afternoon, the civil protection authority announced, while warning that the heatwave could reignite the fires. Firefighters have stopped the spreading of the flames from the forest fire that raged in the region of Abrantes since Wednesday, authorities said. But more than 500 firefighters, nearly 200 vehicles and three water-bombing helicopters remain on standby should the fires flare up again, they added. The other huge fire now under control was at Alvaiazere in the central region of Leiria. Civil protection agency spokeswoman Patricia Gaspar said a record 220 fires had started on Friday alone. "Despite the relentless fires, the situation is now more stable," said Gaspar in Lisbon. Emergency workers had nearly gained control of wildfires across Portugal's drought-hit central region on Thursday, but stronger winds fanned flames in several areas.

6f02d584da715557582f4c07be618dc3decbc5f1.jpg

After an uncommonly dry winter and spring, almost 79 percent of the Portuguese mainland was enduring extreme or severe drought at the end of July​

In the village of Bracal, flames were being blown towards houses as residents grabbed what they could to aid firefighters, an AFP journalist said. Some residents voiced anger at authorities after a season of repeated wildfires which have stretched resources. "Firefighters can't perform miracles, they are exhausted," said Lucia Ricardo, who lives in Bracal, close to Abrantes. Six villages had been evacuated around Abrantes on Thursday as fire-dousing planes flew sorties over the flames. The fires come after more than 60 people were killed in June, and more than 200 injured, in a giant blaze at Pedrogao Grande in central Portugal that raged for five days. After an uncommonly dry winter and spring, almost 79 percent of the Portuguese mainland was enduring extreme or severe drought at the end of July, according to the national weather office.

Firefighters contain huge wildfires in Corsica and Portugal

Had a very hot July and first two weeks of August here in Oregon. Last three weeks, very bad smoke from the fires in British Colombia. Been in many of the places those fires are burning. Sad to see such beautiful country burned. My favorite Wilderness Area here in Oregon had a fire two years ago that burned, crown fire, 175 square miles. I have hike much of that area, and I have been over once since the burn. Really sad to see the destruction.

Forum List

Back