Power the U.S. With Solar Panels!

Sigh...
You know the world is round, right?
You know that each and every minute of each and every day 1/2 of the world is covered with sunlight, right?
You know that power generate in Maine can be used in Oregon over the grid, right?
You do know that connecting the entire planet to a single grid can be done, right?

The only thing missing is the political will and the only thing standing in the way is the oil companies and the sycophantic fools who believe their lies.

You know the world is round, right?

Thanks for the tip!

You know that power generate in Maine can be used in Oregon over the grid, right?

Can it? How much Maine power is used in Oregon today?

What should we do when there is no Sun over Maine or Oregon?

You do know that connecting the entire planet to a single grid can be done, right?

How much will it cost? How long will it take? Link?

The only thing missing is the political will and the only thing standing in the way is the oil companies and the sycophantic fools who believe their lies.

That's the only thing? LOL!

Running a huge fossil fuel plant part time is expensive.
I don't see that as the reason for why it can't be done. Yes, it will be add maintenance costs. The bigger problem is the time from warm stack to operational won't be without delays and the way gas is contracted means it may not be readily available or will be at a premium which may be significant. So filling the gap in demand in a short amount of time likely won't be possible.

I don't see that as the reason for why it can't be done. Yes, it will be add maintenance costs. The bigger problem is the time from warm stack to operational won't be without delays and the way gas is contracted means it may not be readily available or will be at a premium which may be significant. So filling the gap in demand in a short amount of time likely won't be possible.

I don't see that as the reason for why it can't be done.

It can be done. It is being done. It eliminates any so called savings from all the green power.

It's stupid. Of course the alternative is to shut them down and have rolling blackouts daily.

1655926078060.png

I don't see that as the reason for why it can't be done.

It can be done. It is being done. It eliminates any so called savings from all the green power.

It's stupid. Of course the alternative is to shut them down and have rolling blackouts daily.
Are you under the impression this is about savings? It's not.

Apparently at current technology, I will show you a picture of how many solar panels it would take to power the U.S. That is both day and night. (With the stored energy for nighttime) The square in yellow shows the total amount of area in solar panels it would take to do it. Argue with that you naysayers.

View attachment 538042
Link to the story please. Not that I doubt you however I don’t know you.

Are you under the impression this is about savings? It's not.

Some of the green idiots here, and on other threads, keep talking about how solar energy is free.

They aren't taking into account the expense of the fossil fuel back up.

Because they're idiots.

Which is exactly why the daytime temps are lower. Energy that would have been back radiated was captured as electricity. This is basic stuff.

Play it back for me.

If energy that would have been radiated out, isn't, because it was converted to electricity, that's not cooling the planet. Now to mention the lower albedo of the panels retains more energy in the Earth system.

Some of the green idiots here, and on other threads, keep talking about how solar energy is free.

They aren't taking into account the expense of the fossil fuel back up.

Because they're idiots.
Or the original capital investment or the operating expenses. Solar power producers don't need to take in the expense of fossil fuel back up because they aren't paying for it. The consumers are though. They won't put in battery backup or install extra capacity to charge the batteries until they are made to do so.

Play it back for me.

If energy that would have been radiated out, isn't, because it was converted to electricity, that's not cooling the planet. Now to mention the lower albedo of the panels retains more energy in the Earth system.
That wasn't even close to our conversation or what you asked. Try again.

How does the budget change with darker solar panels reducing reflection to space?
The budget doesn't change. Only the amount of solar radiation warming the surface of the planet changes.

This would make more sense to you if you wouldn't keep forgetting that we are replacing an electrical generation source that doesn't reduce the solar radiation warming the surface of the planet with an electrical generation source that does reduce the solar radiation warming the surface of the planet.

Forum List

Back