Prayers For The Dead?

DarkFury

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2015
Sun, Sand And Palm Trees
Some religions have them but they really don't make much sense.
If you are going to Heaven then you don't need them.
If you are going to hell you can't use them.

So is it guilt?

So is it guilt?

Think a lot of the things we do both religious and secular for the dead is more to show other living people that when they die they wont be forgotten. You're right, it doesn't do much for the dead person but it does a lot for those still living.

• Banned

So is it guilt?

Think a lot of the things we do both religious and secular for the dead is more to show other living people that when they die they wont be forgotten. You're right, it doesn't do much for the dead person but it does a lot for those still living.
So that would make it guilt plus the ability to feel more powerful about self. Ego in short.

So is it guilt?

So that would make it guilt plus the ability to feel more powerful about self. Ego in short.

"Ok men, rush those German machine guns. If you don't make it, well thanks for trying."

If that was all you got you might not feel any great interest in doing it. But if you get a 21 gun salute, special grave in Arlington, big fancy dress funeral, etc. death may not seem as bad.

So is it guilt?

Jewish Prayers:Mourners Kaddish

The Mourners Kaddish | Jewish Virtual Library

So is it guilt?

The purpose of Kaddish is to glorify God despite losing a family member.

So is it guilt?

Are you Jewish?

So is it guilt?

Are you Jewish?
Modern Orthodox. You should read the Kaddish in English; it's a beautiful praise of Hashem.

So is it guilt?

Catholic belief is not only of heaven and hell, but also there may be a time of purification before some enter heaven. Catholic belief also holds that everyone, the living, those in heaven, and those awaiting heaven (being purified) are all part of the Church that makes up the Body of Christ.

As such, Catholics, as a matter of course, sometimes ask those in heaven for their prayers, and also pray for those members of the Church who may also be undergoing purification. We also pray for one another who are still living our lives here on earth.

So, no, it is not guilt, it is brotherhood with all members of the Body of Christ.

images

"Cowards die many times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once."
William Shakespeare

*****SMILE*****

:)

So is it guilt?

Catholic belief is not only of heaven and hell, but also there may be a time of purification before some enter heaven. Catholic belief also holds that everyone, the living, those in heaven, and those awaiting heaven (being purified) are all part of the Church that makes up the Body of Christ.

As such, Catholics, as a matter of course, sometimes ask those in heaven for their prayers, and also pray for those members of the Church who may also be undergoing purification. We also pray for one another who are still living our lives here on earth.

So, no, it is not guilt, it is brotherhood with all members of the Body of Christ.
That brings up yet another problem. There are supposed to be two risings right? One for those going to Heaven and one for those going to hell.

What is the purpose of the risings if there are already those there?

No, it is not about ego, it is about faith--faith that our prayers can be of help to those undergoing purification. It is Catholic understanding that those in purgatory can no longer pray for themselves. I don't understand why this may be, but I have had a couple of unusual experiences when praying for those who have passed on. For this reason, praying for those who have passed on has been a consistent part of my prayer life.

Praying for the dead is clearly a result of manmade religion. It falls under the belief that man can "work" to absolve his and other's sin. In Catholicism, few receive a "get out of jail" card and instead of going directly to heaven, they are moved to purgatory upon dying. The same thing happens to stillborn infants because, according to this religion, dead infants are born with "natural" sin on them. It's up to family, friends, any loved ones, to pray their people out of purgatory into heaven. It's their "job". In Christianity, we know that gaining entrance into heaven isn't based on our own abilities, it's based entirely on what Christ did for us on the cross. All that is necessary is for us to accept and acknowledge this, and move into a personal relationship with the Savior. This is accomplished by faith, trust, reading the Word so we can understand His nature and draw near to Him. It's free to anyone.

That brings up yet another problem. There are supposed to be two risings right? One for those going to Heaven and one for those going to hell.

Help me understand your belief. Is your belief one of Soul Sleep, where those who die remain asleep until the end of the world? As a Catholic, I do not hold that belief. I believe our spirits are still "alive" and alert.

Help me understand your belief. Is your belief one of Soul Sleep, where those who die remain asleep until the end of the world? As a Catholic, I do not hold that belief. I believe our spirits are still "alive" and alert.
i am a Adventist. So I have been taught there is NO contact between mortal death and the rising.

Praying for the dead is clearly a result of manmade religion. It falls under the belief that man can "work" to absolve his and other's sin. In Catholicism, few receive a "get out of jail" card and instead of going directly to heaven, they are moved to purgatory upon dying. The same thing happens to stillborn infants because, according to this religion, dead infants are born with "natural" sin on them. It's up to family, friends, any loved ones, to pray their people out of purgatory into heaven. It's their "job". In Christianity, we know that gaining entrance into heaven isn't based on our own abilities, it's based entirely on what Christ did for us on the cross. All that is necessary is for us to accept and acknowledge this, and move into a personal relationship with the Savior. This is accomplished by faith, trust, reading the Word so we can understand His nature and draw near to Him. It's free to anyone.

Of all the things "man-made", the accusation that any religion teaches man can "work" their way to heaven is the greatest man-made accusation of all. It is usually directed at Catholics who believe that God loves us, made us for a purpose, and expects us to respond to His love by first loving Him and then loving our fellow man. This manifestation of love by Catholics gave rise to the accusation that Catholic try to "work" their way to heaven.

In fact, Catholics believe salvation begin here and now in this life. We are on the path of salvation, and this path of salvation is eternal.

Second, Catholics do not believe unbaptized babies are in purgatory. The fact is, scripture does not tell us what happens when babies die (the Church is in limbo as to where they are) and therefore we entrust all babies to the love and mercy of God.

i am a Adventist. So I have been taught there is NO contact between mortal death and the rising.

Thank you. However, I am still confused and need help understanding precisely what this means. Does it mean that upon death you believe a soul is immediately in heaven or hell?

Of all the things "man-made", the accusation that any religion teaches man can "work" their way to heaven is the greatest man-made accusation of all. It is usually directed at Catholics who believe that God loves us, made us for a purpose, and expects us to respond to His love by first loving Him and then loving our fellow man. This manifestation of love by Catholics gave rise to the accusation that Catholic try to "work" their way to heaven.

In fact, Catholics believe salvation begin here and now in this life. We are on the path of salvation, and this path of salvation is eternal.

Second, Catholics do not believe unbaptized babies are in purgatory. The fact is, scripture does not tell us what happens when babies die (the Church is in limbo as to where they are) and therefore we entrust all babies to the love and mercy of God.

You may very well be an uninformed Catholic. While it's nice that you believe in loving God and your fellow man, try and refute the purgatory thing. The church isn't undecided about infant death, they also go to purgatory. Any religion that believes such an atrocity as that is NO religion for me. I've known way too many practicing Catholics that believe all the religious crap and have a shit load of cocktails before going to mass. The whole thing makes me furious, but they are deceived into justifying everything is A-okay. Say your rosary a million times, go to confession thousands of times, listen to mass in a language you can't understand, and convince yourself you're going straight to heaven if you want. It's utterly ridiculous.

Forum List

Back