Pre-existing conditions coverage

Odd. I donlt see anything in the ruling that cites the clause I seek.
Cite please.

You edited out the answer to the question:

That was covered in the Supreme Court ruling. I will defer to them on this question.

This is what Republican Justice John Roberts said:

Although the Chief Justice rejected the government’s Commerce Clause argument, he agreed with one of the government’s alternative arguments: the mandate imposes a tax on people who do not buy health insurance, and that tax is something that Congress can impose using its constitutional taxing power. He acknowledged that the mandate (and its accompanying penalty) is primarily intended to get people to buy insurance, rather than to raise money, but it is, he explained, still a tax. If someone who does not want to buy health insurance is willing to pay the tax, that’s the end of the matter; the government cannot do anything else.

I asked:
What clause of the constitution gives Congress the power to enact legislation dealing with health care?

Nothing in your response, which addresses the specific question of the constitutionality of the individual mandate, addresses that much broader question.

Now that you understand the question, please do try again.

Last edited:
Odd. I donlt see anything in the ruling that cites the clause I seek.
Cite please.

That was covered in the Supreme Court ruling. I will defer to them on this question.

Although the Chief Justice rejected the government’s Commerce Clause argument, he agreed with one of the government’s alternative arguments: the mandate imposes a tax on people who do not buy health insurance, and that tax is something that Congress can impose using its constitutional taxing power. He acknowledged that the mandate (and its accompanying penalty) is primarily intended to get people to buy insurance, rather than to raise money, but it is, he explained, still a tax. If someone who does not want to buy health insurance is willing to pay the tax, that’s the end of the matter; the government cannot do anything else.

I asked:
What clause of the constitution gives Congress the power to enact legislation dealing with health care?

Nothing in your response, which addresses the specific question of the constitutionality of the individual mandate, addresses that much broader question.

Your question is an ignorant question. It implies that unless the constitution lists an "individual mandate" then it is unconstitutional. Republican Justice John Roberts disagrees with that and explained it for himself. He was speaking for the majority on behalf of the Supreme Court. He specifically said "...the mandate imposes a tax on people who do not buy health insurance, and that tax is something that Congress can impose using its constitutional taxing power..."

Do you seriously need me to help you find the part of the constitution that authorizes the collection of taxes? Again, like I said before, if you want a detailed explanation then read the entire ruling.

I asked:

Your question is an ignorant question. It implies that unless the constitution lists an "individual mandate" then it is unconstitutional.

Either you do not understand my question or you know you cannot answer my question -- either way, your respose fails to meaningfully address it.
Please do try again.

Please note that your canned repose about Roberts' opinion regarding the tax penalty related to the individual mandate does -nothing- to meaningfully address this question.

The constitution?

Article I Section 9 specifically excludes this as a tax. Roberts erred.

I asked:

Your question is an ignorant question. It implies that unless the constitution lists an "individual mandate" then it is unconstitutional.
Either you do not understand my question or you know you cannot answer my question -- either way, your respose fails to meaningfully address it.
Please do try again.

Please note that your canned repose about Roberts' opinion regarding the tax penalty related to the individual mandate does -nothing- to meaningfully address this question.

He literally cannot answer the question. He is literally too stupid to engage in debate.

Please do try again.

He literally cannot answer the question. He is literally too stupid to engage in debate.

If you ever watch higher level debates, the one thing you would never see from a good debater is a personal insult. However, when it comes to weak debaters, they always go to the personal insult. It is correctly considered a sign of weakness and shows an inability on the part of the stumped personal attacker to attack arguments.

The constitution doesn't say anything about airplanes. Does that mean the FAA is unconstitutional?

Last edited:
This is one of the most popular provisions in an otherwise despised law, Obamacare. It polls consistently well. And it sounds good: Insirance companies cannot deny coverage for pre existing conditions. Right?
But why would they deny coverage to begin with?
When they are forced to issue policies to people with pre existing conditions, who pays for the higher risk the company incurs by insuring them?
I realize these are beyond Stage One questions so the leftists here wont have a clue what I mean. But maybe some of the more informed posters can chime in.

If someone is born with an illness, how they can get coverage for it? Everyone should have coverage, no matter if they have a pre existing illness or not.

Please do try again.

If you ever watch higher level debates, the one thing you would never see from a good debater is a personal insult. However, when it comes to weak debaters, they always go to the personal insult. It is correctly considered a sign of weakness and shows an inability on the part of the stumped personal attacker to attack arguments.

The constitution doesn't say anything about airplanes. Does that mean the FAA is unconstitutional?
Still waiting for an answer.

This is one of the most popular provisions in an otherwise despised law, Obamacare. It polls consistently well. And it sounds good: Insirance companies cannot deny coverage for pre existing conditions. Right?
When they are forced to issue policies to people with pre existing conditions, who pays for the higher risk the company incurs by insuring them?
I realize these are beyond Stage One questions so the leftists here wont have a clue what I mean. But maybe some of the more informed posters can chime in.
If someone is born with an illness, how they can get coverage for it? Everyone should have coverage, no matter if they have a pre existing illness or not.
That's fine, so long as others are not forced to foot the bill.

That means the sick person would have to pay for their own coverage when its not their fault they have a pre existing condition.

His view is let them die, but he won't be honest enough to say that. He's a selfish child, like most here, it's to be expected.

My career as an underwriter for insurance companies and HMO's for 50 years was to deny people with pre-existing conditions. If they were already insured, and the group was not large enough to cover the one million dollar pre-mature baby, then my job was to raise the rates of the group at the annual renewal date so much that they would drop our company, and become some other insurance companies' problem. Only the other companies, being aware of that, demanded the last three years of claims experience before issuing the employer a policy. In that case, the employer usually found a way to remove John Doe from their payroll, along with his premature baby.

We shed bitter tears while doing this for the last 50 years.

Please do try again.

You literally are too stupid to engage.

I realize you aren't exactly the sharpest tool in the pouch. But going back to the OP, why do you think insurance companies don't cover PEs? Or at least didnt until they were forced to.

That means the sick person would have to pay for their own coverage when its not their fault they have a pre existing condition.

What if it is their fault they have a pre-existing condition? What difference does it make? Lots of things aren't someone's fault. So what? This isn't a morality debate. It's about medical coverage.

My career as an underwriter for insurance companies and HMO's for 50 years was to deny people with pre-existing conditions. If they were already insured, and the group was not large enough to cover the one million dollar pre-mature baby, then my job was to raise the rates of the group at the annual renewal date so much that they would drop our company, and become some other insurance companies' problem. Only the other companies, being aware of that, demanded the last three years of claims experience before issuing the employer a policy. In that case, the employer usually found a way to remove John Doe from their payroll, along with his premature baby.

I doubt you ever held a steady job,much less insurance underwriter.

Lie or not that's how it is done. The way to get the contractor you want, the one where your friend works and can take you out to dinner, is to get two other companies to bid who always bid higher. Works like a charm.

What if it is their fault they have a pre-existing condition? What difference does it make? Lots of things aren't someone's fault. So what? This isn't a morality debate. It's about medical coverage.
Which no company is interested in provided to people who are already sick. You don't insure cars that were already wrecked.

Which no company is interested in provided to people who are already sick. You don't insure cars that were already wrecked.

That is why your health care system sucks.

Please present a sound argument as to why state should force the young and healthy to subsidize the health care costs of the old and sick, and/or as to why the state sholuld force people to pay for goods and services they do not receive.

You'll have to ask the insurance company lobbyists and the republicans that question.

The mandate was their idea. Really.

[MENTION=6581]M14 Shooter[/MENTION]

Last edited:

Forum List

Back