President Obama, Bring Jon Hammar Home!

President Obama should demad this Marine's release and return:

• Yes

Votes: 13 81.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters
I think Obama should help, but he didn't help former democratic congresswoman Cynthia McKinney when Israel imprisoned her after hijacking her boat in international waters either.

Therei is no indication that he did; however, that was a different different scenario with of course opposing stories on both sides. McKinney's group appeared to be intentionally baiting Israel and intentionally challenging the blockade. They could have gotten the school and medical supplies effortlessly into Gaza by going through proper channels but chose to use the most antagonistic process they could devise. Nor was McKinney threatened or mistreated in any way in that occasion.

To compare that with a young man who did his best to comply with the law and who had been told he had done so but was arrested anyway is just not a reasonable comparison.

Jon Hammar, Marine jailed in Mexico, released from prison :clap2:

By Joseph J. Kolb
December 21, 2012

The ordeal for Jon Hammar Jr. who languished under deplorable conditions in a violent Mexican prison for four months is finally over.

Jon Hammar Sr,. has confirmed that his 27-year-old son, a Marine combat veteran, is back on U.S. soil and with him in a rented car in Brownsville, Texas.

Hammar Sr. said his son was released from CEDES prison at 8 p.m. local time and made it back across the bridge between Matamoros, Mexico and Brownsville, Texas by around 8:30 p.m.

---

Read more: Jon Hammar, Marine jailed in Mexico, released from prison | Fox News

Last edited:
As I said in another thread.

Good for him. It's just too bad for that trucker that he wasn't an all American looking former marine carrying a gun. Perhaps the media would have cared more and he wouldn't have spent 7 months in a mexican jail before his family secured enough funds for his release.

Good for him. It's just too bad for that trucker that he wasn't an all American looking former marine carrying a gun. Perhaps the media would have cared more and he wouldn't have spent 7 months in a mexican jail before his family secured enough funds for his release.

He crossed into Mexico and declared an antique shotgun to Mexican customs officials.

God your skull must be 4" thick...:D

My cousin went to canada and forgot he had a gun in the trunk. They took the gun and locked it up when he came back threw they gave it back to him. That's what the mexicons should have done...:D

He crossed into Mexico and declared an antique shotgun to Mexican customs officials.

My cousin went to canada and forgot he had a gun in the trunk. They took the gun and locked it up when he came back threw they gave it back to him. That's what the mexicons should have done...:D
1st, Mexican law says you can't declare a gun at the border. 2nd, he's lucky he got stopped in Mexico, because I highly doubt the other unsafe countries he planned to lug that thing through would have simply chained him to a bed. 3rd, who cares if the gun was "antique"? He was planning to take it hunting, so it's not like it was simply a show piece..

Oh, and thanks for responding to my post, while not actually addressing my point. Which was, this kid spent a thrid of the time the trucker did in jail, and he actually broke the law, unlike the trucker, dumbass.

Jon Hammar, Marine jailed in Mexico, released from prison :clap2:

By Joseph J. Kolb
December 21, 2012

The ordeal for Jon Hammar Jr. who languished under deplorable conditions in a violent Mexican prison for four months is finally over.

Jon Hammar Sr,. has confirmed that his 27-year-old son, a Marine combat veteran, is back on U.S. soil and with him in a rented car in Brownsville, Texas.

Hammar Sr. said his son was released from CEDES prison at 8 p.m. local time and made it back across the bridge between Matamoros, Mexico and Brownsville, Texas by around 8:30 p.m.

---

Read more: Jon Hammar, Marine jailed in Mexico, released from prison | Fox News

Thanks for this. And blessings upon the Hammar family for a great Chrsitmas.

Jon Hammar checked with American authortiies, completed what he was told was the requisite paper work, and properly declared the weapon with the Mexican authorities. His ONLY crime was that the shotgun he declared was an antique and was one inch shorter than the required 25 inch barrel. All the Mexican authorities had to do was tell him the gun was illegal and he couldn't bring it in. Or give him a waiver for the one inch deficiency. He bent over backwards to comply with the law and apparently a Mexican judge finally agreed that he did.

Now the trucker:

After seven months in a Mexican prison, a U.S. truck driver arrested after driving an 18-wheeler loaded with ammunition into Juárez is expected to cross into the U.S. today, Mexican authorities said Thurs day.

Jabin Akeem Bogan, 27, who was arrested by Mexican authorities April 17, was to leave an immigration detention center in Veracruz early today and then travel to Juárez.

"Tomorrow (Friday) he will be sent to Ciudad Juárez, and from there he will be released to U.S. authorities," said Carlos Alvarez Barroso, spokes man for the Veracruz division of the National Immigration Institute.

Bogan has been held in an immigration detention center since Nov. 15 after being released from a federal prison in Villa Almada, Veracruz, in southern Mexico.

The Dallas truck driver was arrested when he drove his 18-wheeler into Juárez via the Bridge of Americas carrying 268,000 rounds of ammunition -- mostly .308- and .223-caliber rounds.

Mexican authorities argued that it was one of the largest ammunition seizures made in Juárez since the outbreak of a drug cartel war, in which more than 10,000 people have been killed in the past five years.

Bogan was charged with possession and trafficking of ammunition, which in Mexico can carry a sentence of up to 30 years in prison. Bogan, who always insisted that he entered Juárez by mistake, was sent to a federal prison while waiting the judicial process. He has maintained that he made a wrong turn.
Trucker arrested in Juarez headed back to US - El Paso Times

If he had checked Mexican gun laws before attempting to cross the border he would have realized that you can't simply declare a gun. He probably would have also encountered various warnings about not traveling into Mexico.

Do I think he deserved to be locked up? No. However I think he learned a valuable lesson and most likely would have ended up far worse off had he been able to pass through Mexico and been forced to deal with officials in Honduras or Nicaragua.

1st, Mexican law says you can't declare a gun at the border. 2nd, he's lucky he got stopped in Mexico, because I highly doubt the other unsafe countries he planned to lug that thing through would have simply chained him to a bed. 3rd, who cares if the gun was "antique"? He was planning to take it hunting, so it's not like it was simply a show piece..

Oh, and thanks for responding to my post, while not actually addressing my point. Which was, this kid spent a thrid of the time the trucker did in jail, and he actually broke the law, unlike the trucker, dumbass.

Show me the mexicon law you thick headed beatch...:D

The trucker was scheduled to make an ammo delivery to a warehouse, and took a wrong turn on the freeway. He spent 7 months in jail for that wrong turn.

I'M going to do like you do and put on my liberal hat----He should have used a map or a gps you just can't drive all over mexico with a truck load of ammo...:D

Dam, that was fun, I might convert to liberalism...rolmao

Last edited:
The Department of State warns US citizens against taking any type of firearm or ammunition into Mexico without prior written authorization from the Mexican authorities. Entering Mexico with a firearm or a single round of ammunition carries a penalty of up to five years in jail, even if the firearm or ammunition is taken into Mexico unintentionally. The Mexican government strictly enforces its laws restricting the entry of firearms and ammunition along all land borders and at air and seaports. This has resulted in arrests, convictions, and long prison sentences for US citizens, even those who unintentionally crossed the border with firearms or ammunition in their possession. US citizens approaching Mexico along the land border who realize they are in possession of unauthorized firearms or ammunition should not seek to enter Mexico. The only way to legally import firearms and/or ammunition into Mexico is to secure a permit in advance from the Mexican Embassy or from a Mexican consulate.

Mexican Laws

Super hard to find, it was the 2nd link on google when I typed in "traveling to Mexico with a gun?"

John Hammer will be a forgotten pawn in the Chess game that is gun control, doomed to rot in a Mexican prison. Forget that he declared his antique shotgun at the border. He symbolizes everything Liberals like Obama find distasteful... Those who fight for their country, and those who might desire to go hunting.

He is now back on US soil.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/22/w...ies-to-free-american-marine-veteran.html?_r=0

'It is not clear what led the Mexican government to change its stance. Mrs. Hammar said she was unsure of the reasoning. But she said she looked forward to telling her son, who served in Iraq and Afghanistan — and who had been on his way to Costa Rica to surf when he was arrested — about the support he received while he was in jail. “It’s been awesome to watch Americans get on board to help get him out,” she said.'

Last edited:
The parents got nowhere with the US government. The state department flatly refused to help. Then they appeared on the O'Reilly Factor. The resulting public outcry got the attention of Senators Bill Nelson and Marco Rubio and that's where they got results. Up until then, the prison authorities made ransom demands or their son would be killed.

Since Jon Hammar was not demanding free birth control, nor did he look like he could be obama's son, this nation had no interest in this case.

As I said elsewhere, I'm not at all surprised the rw's AND the R would happily endanger this guy by using him as a political football.

What would you rw's say about a foreigner breaking our laws?

And I'm not at all surprised that you think a U.S. citizen deserves what he gets despite the fact that he did everything he knew to do to comply with the law and had every intention of being legal. A 24" shotgun that was manufactured that way isn't very different from at 25" shotgun. And endangering him by trying to help facilitate his release? You have to be really whacked out to believe that.

And yes, if we detained and imprisoned a foreigner for no worse 'offense' than that, I would be equally as outraged.

What do you think the whole enemy combatant thing was about?

John Hammer will be a forgotten pawn in the Chess game that is gun control, doomed to rot in a Mexican prison. Forget that he declared his antique shotgun at the border. He symbolizes everything Liberals like Obama find distasteful... Those who fight for their country, and those who might desire to go hunting.

He broke the law in a foreign country.

He's pretty lucky that the government sprung his ass.

Forum List

Back