President Obama, Rules for Radicals and -- NOW What?

It's futile to swat at the noseeums. Just occassionally wave them out of the way and continue on your business. No need to allow lower forms to interfere in any goal.

Last edited:
See the first quote in my sig. :lol:

Reread my reply to your first response with this. :eusa_whistle:
Funny thing is, he's a quintessential example of the unwitting yet willing tools manipulated by a second tier of powerbrokers. Pathetically, he doesn't even realize it, likely.

This is true, since all he seems to have is a quote out of context and no real power in his arguments, ever. I would go so far as to bet he's a paid Obama supporter, he's got the low intellect of someone who takes orders from the top and parrots from a teleprompter.

Funny thing is, he's a quintessential example of the unwitting yet willing tools manipulated by a second tier of powerbrokers. Pathetically, he doesn't even realize it, likely.

This is true, since all he seems to have is a quote out of context and no real power in his arguments, ever. I would go so far as to bet he's a paid Obama supporter, he's got the low intellect of someone who takes orders from the top and parrots from a teleprompter.
I think you may give this one too much credit. Too many are so willing (because it is just so easy and they feel important) to work for free. He's probably 6th or 7th tier - just under an ACORN volunteer.

Here's someone who will take that bet! :rofl:
That is the funniest part about it, Ed is entertaining everyone and not getting a cent for it.

That is the funniest part about it, Ed is entertaining everyone and not getting a cent for it.

That's not a contradiction. I know we are not paying you, but that doesn't mean no one is paying you to flood message boards with distractions from what your savior is really doing.

The hysterical part of this is that you are actually on topic in this thread about Alinsky's rules, Ed. Thank you for being so topical, for once.

And, the rules definitely help for gaining power and the OP has a good point about what to do once that power is gained. At this point, it's easy to see the rules are also useful for silencing opposition once in power. As long as we know the tactics, we can strategize to be heard still.

It's futile to swat at the noseeums. Just occassionally wave them out of the way and continue on your business. No need to allow lower forms to interfere in any goal.
http://www.beyondintractability.org/essay/dehumanization/
By
Michelle Maiese
July 2003
The Psychology of Dehumanization

Dehumanization is actually an extension of a less intense process of developing an "enemy image" of the opponent. During the course of protracted conflict, feelings of anger, fear, and distrust shape the way that the parties perceive each other. Adversarial attitudes and perceptions develop and parties begin to attribute negative traits to their opponent. They may come to view the opponent as an evil enemy, deficient in moral virtue, or as a dangerous, warlike monster.

An enemy image is a negative stereotype through which the opposing group is viewed as evil, in contrast to one's own side, which is seen as good. Such images can stem from a desire for group identity and a need to contrast the distinctive attributes and virtues of one's own group with the vices of the "outside" group.[4] In some cases, evil-ruler enemy images form. While ordinary group members are regarded as neutral, or perhaps even innocent, their leaders are viewed as hideous monsters.[5]

Enemy images are usually black and white. The negative actions of one's opponent are thought to reflect their fundamental evil nature, traits, or motives.[6] One's own faults, as well as the values and motivations behind the actions of one's opponent, are usually discounted, denied, or ignored. It becomes difficult to empathize or see where one's opponent is coming from. Meaningful communication is unlikely, and it becomes difficult to perceive any common ground.

Once formed, enemy images tend to resist change, and serve to perpetuate and intensify the conflict. Because the adversary has come to be viewed as a "diabolical enemy," the conflict is framed as a war between good and evil.[7] Once the parties have framed the conflict in this way, their positions become more rigid. In some cases, zero-sum thinking develops as parties come to believe that they must either secure their own victory, or face defeat. New goals to punish or destroy the opponent arise, and in some cases more militant leadership comes into power.

Enemy images are accentuated, according to psychologists, by the process of "projection," in which people "project" their own faults onto their opponents. This means that people or groups who tend to be aggressive or selfish are likely to attribute those traits to their opponents, but not to themselves. This improves one's own self-image and increases group cohesion, but it also escalates the conflict and makes it easier to dehumanize the other side.

Deindividuation facilitates dehumanization as well. This is the psychological process whereby a person is seen as a member of a category or group rather than as an individual. Because people who are deindividuated seem less than fully human, they are viewed as less protected by social norms against aggression than those who are individuated.[8] It then becomes easier to rationalize contentious moves or severe actions taken against one's opponents.

Dangers of Dehumanization

While deindividuation and the formation of enemy images are very common, they form a dangerous process that becomes especially damaging when it reaches the level of dehumanization.

Once certain groups are stigmatized as evil, morally inferior, and not fully human, the persecution of those groups becomes more psychologically acceptable. Restraints against aggression and violence begin to disappear. Not surprisingly, dehumanization increases the likelihood of violence and may cause a conflict to escalate out of control. Once a violence break over has occurred, it may seem even more acceptable for people to do things that they would have regarded as morally unthinkable before.

Parties may come to believe that destruction of the other side is necessary, and pursue an overwhelming victory that will cause one's opponent to simply disappear. This sort of into-the-sea framing can cause lasting damage to relationships between the conflicting parties, making it more difficult to solve their underlying problems and leading to the loss of more innocent lives.

Indeed, dehumanization often paves the way for human rights violations, war crimes, and genocide. For example, in WWII, the dehumanization of the Jews ultimately led to the destruction of millions of people.[9] Similar atrocities have occurred in Rwanda, Cambodia, and the former Yugoslavia.

The hysterical part of this is that you are actually on topic in this thread about Alinsky's rules, Ed. Thank you for being so topical, for once.

And, the rules definitely help for gaining power and the OP has a good point about what to do once that power is gained. At this point, it's easy to see the rules are also useful for silencing opposition once in power. As long as we know the tactics, we can strategize to be heard still.

Exactly! ;)

That's not a contradiction. I know we are not paying you, but that doesn't mean no one is paying you to flood message boards with distractions from what your savior is really doing.
you over estimate his abilities
no one would pay him for this
he sucks at it

Like a typical CON$ervative, you can't admit you contradicted yourself. :cuckoo:

"Not getting a cent for it" DOES mean NO ONE is paying me for it!!! :rofl:

Like a typical CON$ervative, you can't admit you contradicted yourself. :cuckoo:

Typical neolib, when someone disagrees with you, you assume they are a conservative even when they are an old skool liberal hippy type. ;)

You also missed the simple fact that I was joking about the "not getting a cent for it" ... a joke at your expense, which is all the funnier now knowing you didn't see it as one. :lol:

typical ed the moron, thinks there was a contradiction when there wasn't

Typical neolib, when someone disagrees with you, you assume they are a conservative even when they are an old skool liberal hippy type. ;)

You also missed the simple fact that I was joking about the "not getting a cent for it" ... a joke at your expense, which is all the funnier now knowing you didn't see it as one. :lol:
You are no more a hippie than you were joking with me. You were kissing DumbCon's fat ass. :rofl:
Rush actually gets PAID to do it
Ed does it for free

You are no more a hippie than you were joking with me. You were kissing DumbCon's fat ass. :rofl:
Rush actually gets PAID to do it
Ed does it for free

Seriously? Grow a funny bone. :lol:

Well, you sure are adept at recognizing the tactics. Fight fire with fire.

So, let's inspect this link of yours: The title of the site is "Beyond Intractability". Suits you to a tee. The subtitle of the site is "A Free Knowledge Base on More Constructive Approaches to Destructive Conflict". How does it feel to be so destructive to your country, Ed?

I think I may not have given you as much credit as you deserve. But, thanks. I pushed your pride to the point of your revealing exactly what you are about. So topical, it's almost textbook.

You play an inane idiot and get the focus off of the real issues. Can't have that happening. Now, I've learned something - I thought there was no pride to so many playing the assclown. Not at all. Your pride got you to spill. Troll and bait, troll and bait - then no one will see your emperor with no clothes as they will focus on you. Unfortunately for you, you are also baitable.

Last edited:

So, let's inspect this link of yours: The title of the site is "Beyond Intractability". Suits you to a tee. The subtitle of the site is "A Free Knowledge Base on More Constructive Approaches to Destructive Conflict". How does it feel to be so destructive to your country, Ed?

I think I may not have given you as much credit as you deserve. But, thanks. I pushed your pride to the point of your revealing exactly what you are about. So topical, it's almost textbook.

You play an inane idiot and get the focus off of the real issues. Can't have that happening. Now, I've learned something - I thought there was no pride to so many playing the assclown. Not at all. Your pride got you to spill. Troll and bait, troll and bait - then no one will see your emperor with no clothes as they will focus on you. Unfortunately for you, you are also baitable.
You need to reread this part.
Enemy images are accentuated, according to psychologists, by the process of "projection," in which people "project" their own faults onto their opponents.

I asked you a fucking question, traitor: How does it feel to be so destructive to your country?

I asked you a fucking question, traitor: How does it feel to be so destructive to your country?
You need to reread this part and the first quote in my sig. :rofl:
Enemy images are accentuated, according to psychologists, by the process of "projection," in which people "project" their own faults onto their opponents.

Forum List

Back