President to use recess appointment for CFPB :-)

You would lose big time. Levin is motivated by the Constitution, Obama, like every Progressive Statist is obstructed by it. When You abandoned Individual Liberty, you abandoned Conscience and Soul. No matter how you package your Bullshit, it's still Bullshit. You need to back track and explain why Individual Liberty is such a threat to your style of Government. Be honest. What is it about what you can;t control, that you Must lie, steal, and scam, to harness it? It's the mystery of life, a sacred trust between Each of us and our Maker, and you are at war with it, probably since the beginning of time. What is it that terrifies you about free will? Individual Accountability? You don't see the disconnect? We do. ;)

Well, I beg to differ on what motivates Levin. I listen to Levin ALL the time, and it's abundantly clear that he's ultrapartisan in his views. What that means is this. If a conservative president did what Obama did, Levin would defend it.

You don't know Levin at all. He is a Firm Constitutionalist. Define and study Constructive Liberty, and you will find yourself closer to the root of who Levin is, and you will find yourself better informed. Call Him A Conservative, Call him A classic liberal.

Levin makes me laugh because he's so damn transparent. However, sometimes I must admit that I think he's crazy. Maybe it's an act. I don't know. But it's pretty convincing. What IS scary is all the people who call in an fawn all over him. But he also gets his fair share of scary callers like the guy who called last night all worked up about Obama supposedly not being a natural born citizen. During that conversation, it was hard to tell who was crazier. But it's damn fine radio. That's for sure.

CFPB is a slap in the face of American Consumers by the Gubmint.

Well, if you ever end up getting financially 'screwed' by some business, by all means don't call them.
And I won't. I won't patronize thier establishment, and urge others to follow suit.

And I have legal recourse in court, cumquat.

Some people don't have the time or the resources to chase crooked fly-by-night companies around to try to get their money back.

Wow, ya don't say!

And...?
You retards need to quit acting like opposing the President is treason.

Remember when dissent used to be patriotic? Funny how that stopped in January of 2009.

eh... maybe if rightwingnut, obama-deranged nutters weren't so full of fauxrage when the

president does things that have been done by every president. *shrug*

recess.jpg

RPC avg still has him beating the GOP field

RealClearPolitics - President Obama vs. Republican Candidates

so it looks like most people don't find the obama deranged credible. this will only help with voters who felt he wasn't putting up a fight with the nutbars.

there is nothing patriotic about obama derangement syndrome.

as usual your hackism prevents you from thinking clearly. no one is arguing he cannot make recess appointments, your "point" ala past recess appointments means exactly nothing.

you are big on stare decisis judicially and the larger point of precedent, you obviously have looked past the point where in even the Clinton admin. saw the 3 day rule as binding.

So did Bush, Reid kept the senate in session via pro forma gavelling and bush did not make any appointments, neither did Clinton when the reps did it to him.

Obama made the argument FOR the 3 day rule just over a year ago.....

BUT now, it appears the outrage is out of order because?

becasue, (like the big deal you made ala signing statements when bush used them, remember that? you were quite "acerbic" over them, THEN) now? nary a word....

no surprise really, your positions are contrived, based on whom is in office.
when its a dem, all is well apparently, the other way? its time to pin the outrage meter to apoplexy.

Well, I beg to differ on what motivates Levin. I listen to Levin ALL the time, and it's abundantly clear that he's ultrapartisan in his views. What that means is this. If a conservative president did what Obama did, Levin would defend it.

You don't know Levin at all. He is a Firm Constitutionalist. Define and study Constructive Liberty, and you will find yourself closer to the root of who Levin is, and you will find yourself better informed. Call Him A Conservative, Call him A classic liberal.

Levin makes me laugh because he's so damn transparent. However, sometimes I must admit that I think he's crazy. Maybe it's an act. I don't know. But it's pretty convincing. What IS scary is all the people who call in an fawn all over him. But he also gets his fair share of scary callers like the guy who called last night all worked up about Obama supposedly not being a natural born citizen. During that conversation, it was hard to tell who was crazier. But it's damn fine radio. That's for sure.

People fawn over all different kind of people. Let me know when that tingle up your leg goes away. I personally don't fawn over Anyone. I like Mark and agree with much of what he believes. One area we would disagree is Alexander Hamilton, who I personally view as the First Statist Progressive. I believe that he did undermine the Constitution, and we are still fighting over those issues. All in all, Mark may be low in patience with certain kinds of people, but who isn't?

Last edited:
The Democrat controlled Senate is against Obama?

No. The filibuster party controls the Senate. You know that. Don't play dumb.

Who is this Filibuster Party? Got a Link? Or are you referring to the RNC?

When was the last time the DNC used a Filibuster?

Is it okay for either Party to act in Conscience or just yours?

Filibuster and Cloture
Cartoon of Senate Filibuster, ca. 1870s
19th Century Filibuster

Using the filibuster to delay or block legislative action has a long history. The term filibuster -- from a Dutch word meaning "pirate" -- became popular in the 1850s, when it was applied to efforts to hold the Senate floor in order to prevent a vote on a bill.

In the early years of Congress, representatives as well as senators could filibuster. As the House of Representatives grew in numbers, however, revisions to the House rules limited debate. In the smaller Senate, unlimited debate continued on the grounds that any senator should have the right to speak as long as necessary on any issue.

In 1841, when the Democratic minority hoped to block a bank bill promoted by Kentucky Senator Henry Clay, he threatened to change Senate rules to allow the majority to close debate. Missouri Senator Thomas Hart Benton rebuked Clay for trying to stifle the Senate's right to unlimited debate.

Three quarters of a century later, in 1917, senators adopted a rule (Rule 22), at the urging of President Woodrow Wilson, that allowed the Senate to end a debate with a two-thirds majority vote, a device known as "cloture." The new Senate rule was first put to the test in 1919, when the Senate invoked cloture to end a filibuster against the Treaty of Versailles. Even with the new cloture rule, filibusters remained an effective means to block legislation, since a two-thirds vote is difficult to obtain. Over the next five decades, the Senate occasionally tried to invoke cloture, but usually failed to gain the necessary two-thirds vote. Filibusters were particularly useful to Southern senators who sought to block civil rights legislation, including anti-lynching legislation, until cloture was invoked after a 57 day filibuster against the Civil Right Act of 1964. In 1975, the Senate reduced the number of votes required for cloture from two-thirds to three-fifths, or 60 of the current one hundred senators.

Many Americans are familiar with the filibuster conducted by Jimmy Stewart, playing Senator Jefferson Smith in Frank Capra's film Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, but there have been some famous filibusters in the real-life Senate as well. During the 1930s, Senator Huey P. Long effectively used the filibuster against bills that he thought favored the rich over the poor. The Louisiana senator frustrated his colleagues while entertaining spectators with his recitations of Shakespeare and his reading of recipes for "pot-likkers." Long once held the Senate floor for 15 hours. The record for the longest individual speech goes to South Carolina's J. Strom Thurmond who filibustered for 24 hours and 18 minutes against the Civil Rights Act of 1957.

U.S. Senate: Art & History Home > Origins & Development > Powers & Procedures > Filibuster and Cloture

President Obama is a Constitutional scholar. He knows that the Constitution specifies a 72 hour unchallenged "recess" process. Did the GOP surpass that limit? Is this, Checkmate?

as usual your hackism prevents you from thinking clearly. no one is arguing he cannot make recess appointments, your "point" ala past recess appointments means exactly nothing.

you are big on stare decisis judicially and the larger point of precedent, you obviously have looked past the point where in even the Clinton admin. saw the 3 day rule as binding.

So did Bush, Reid kept the senate in session via pro forma gavelling and bush did not make any appointments, neither did Clinton when the reps did it to him.

Obama made the argument FOR the 3 day rule just over a year ago.....

BUT now, it appears the outrage is out of order because?

becasue, (like the big deal you made ala signing statements when bush used them, remember that? you were quite "acerbic" over them, THEN) now? nary a word....

no surprise really, your positions are contrived, based on whom is in office.
when its a dem, all is well apparently, the other way? its time to pin the outrage meter to apoplexy.

Well I, for one, think we oughtta just have a nice little day in court to hash this out, don't you?

Mustang assumes much.

Not really. Radio (especially syndication) is a very lucrative business model, and Levin just announced that he had a whole bunch of new stations sign up for his show.
SO? He's a businessman as well...and this is evil somehow?

Really?

Don't like it or him? Start your own and compete.

He's very entertaining. I just don't take him seriously because he's on the fringe. But, then again, much of the conservative movement is on the fringe compared to where they were in previous years.

In my opinion, the conservatives movement will either have to moderate in coming years, or it will collapse due to alienating too many moderate and mainstream voters who are turned off by the constant over-the-top bombastic, hyperbolic rhetoric. It's considerably MORE disturbing if these fringe radio hosts and elected representatives actually believe their own hype.

Not really. Radio (especially syndication) is a very lucrative business model, and Levin just announced that he had a whole bunch of new stations sign up for his show.

Really?

He's very entertaining. I just don't take him seriously because he's on the fringe. But, then again, much of the conservative movement is on the fringe compared to where they were in previous years.

In my opinion, the conservatives movement will either have to moderate in coming years, or it will collapse due to alienating too many moderate and mainstream voters who are turned off by the constant over-the-top bombastic, hyperbolic rhetoric. It's considerably MORE disturbing if these fringe radio hosts and elected representatives actually believe their own hype.

I find his whiny voice the most grating of all the wingnut talkers, personally.

4 August 2005

Rehnquist will step down from the Supreme Court soon because of thyroid cancer, Senate Republican leaders are preparing for a showdown to keep Democrats from blocking President Bush's judicial nominations, including a replacement for Rehnquist.

Republicans say that Democrats have abused the filibuster by blocking 10 of the president's 229 judicial nominees in his first term -- although confirmation of Bush nominees exceeds in most cases the first-term experience of presidents dating to Ronald Reagan. Describing the filibusters as intolerable, Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-Tenn.) has hinted he may resort to an unusual parliamentary maneuver, dubbed the "nuclear option," to thwart such filibusters.

"One way or another, the filibuster of judicial nominees must end," he said in a speech to the Federalist Society last month, labeling the use of filibusters against judicial nominees a "formula for tyranny by the minority."

So far, at least, Democrats are refusing to forgo filibusters and say they will fight any effort by Frist to act unilaterally to end them for judicial nominations. They warn that it could poison the well for bipartisan cooperation on other issues in the upcoming Congress.

"If they, for whatever reason, decide to do this, it's not only wrong, they will rue the day they did it, because we will do whatever we can do to strike back," incoming Senate Democratic leader Harry M. Reid (Nev.) said last week. "I know procedures around here. And I know that there will still be Senate business conducted. But I will, for lack of a better word, screw things up."

Democrats, however, face several constraints. Democratic strategists said that some of the party's senators from states Bush carried in the presidential election could be reluctant to support a filibuster for fear of being portrayed as obstructionist -- a tactic the GOP used successfully in congressional elections this year and in 2002.

About.com: http://tinyurl.com/7xjpb

Personally I support the Right of the Senate to set It's own Rules. I do have expectations for it to live by the Rules it sets, and to Amend them when Necessary by Due Process. I'm not threatened by the Filibuster and realize it is a tool for the Minority, whoever that may be, and that does at times cross Party Lines. It represents a higher Bar, not just a simple Majority, and that is reason itself for pause.

Really?

I find his whiny voice the most grating of all the wingnut talkers, personally.

Yeah, he does have kind of nasal voice. And when he gets worked up (which doesn't take much and happens often), I'll grant there's a comic aspect to it. Sometimes I'm not sure at what I'm laughing at the most. Is it the craziness of the content? Is it the emotional rant? Is it the voice? Whatever it is, it prevents me from tuning back to Randi Rhodes, who has an equally less-than-soothing radio voice with her thick Brooklyn/Queens, NY accent.

But he's good for a few laughs. I find the incredibly poor logic that he uses to make his arguments to be highly entertaining.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back