Prison-Industrial Complex will ignore AG Holder's Recommendations

Contumacious

Radical Freedom
Aug 16, 2009
Adjuntas, PR , USA
Despite DOJ Announcement, The Federal Prison Population Will Grow

The Department of Justice’s position is that it is going to move away from counting the number of pounds of drugs found on a defendant who is not a member of a gang and not in possession of a weapon. That way of prosecution, by weight, is the same used in white-collar crime when the Feds go for dollars instead of pounds. The fact is, long prison terms and increasing rates of incarceration at the federal level will remain with us for some time to come no matter today’s announcement.

First, there is a lot of money in incarcerating people … and it is hard to take that money away.

Second, federal prosecutors make a name for themselves by bringing cases that make the biggest headlines … and headlines are made with long prison terms.

Third,
even if an inmate’s prison term is reduced, there is not enough existing halfway house facilities to take the inmates.

Fourth,
when lower prison terms are offered to first time non-violent offenders, there will be less incentive for one defendant to snitch on another."

Last edited:
Despite DOJ Announcement, The Federal Prison Population Will Grow

The Department of Justice’s position is that it is going to move away from counting the number of pounds of drugs found on a defendant who is not a member of a gang and not in possession of a weapon. That way of prosecution, by weight, is the same used in white-collar crime when the Feds go for dollars instead of pounds. The fact is, long prison terms and increasing rates of incarceration at the federal level will remain with us for some time to come no matter today’s announcement.

First, there is a lot of money in incarcerating people … and it is hard to take that money away.

Second, federal prosecutors make a name for themselves by bringing cases that make the biggest headlines … and headlines are made with long prison terms.

Third,
even if an inmate’s prison term is reduced, there is not enough existing halfway house facilities to take the inmates.

Fourth,
when lower prison terms are offered to first time non-violent offenders, there will be less incentive for one defendant to snitch on another."

Americans have a right secured by the 9th Amendment to self-medicate.

So Holder's proposal was provided some relief to those who exercise their right.

But it appears that folks with a conflict of interest will prevent that from happening.

The Prison Crisis

With only 5% of the world’s population, the U.S. has 25% of the world’s prison population – that makes us the world’s largest jailer.
Since 1970, our prison population has risen 700%.
One in 99 adults are living behind bars in the U.S. This marks the highest rate of imprisonment in American history.
One in 31 adults are under some form of correctional control, counting prison, jail, parole and probation populations.".

I agree with all four points, but mostly the first one. There is too much money behind incarcerating people. Like most political lobbies, it would take big changes to put that genie back in it's bottle. As long as we maintain the same status quo, two party system, I don't see those changes being made anytime soon.

I agree with all four points, but mostly the first one. There is too much money behind incarcerating people. Like most political lobbies, it would take big changes to put that genie back in it's bottle. As long as we maintain the same status quo, two party system, I don't see those changes being made anytime soon.

Because prisoners must call home collect last year ATT paid the state of Texas 400 mmmmmillions dollars.

So , the PIC has a vested interest in keeping people locked up.

Of course. The modern day "Inmate Leasing" will continue. This is what the immigration bill is all about. Filling up INS jails.

The prison population would drop dramatically if more people decided not to commit crimes. Or more criminals were just shot on sight.

Legalizing criminal conduct will reduce the prison population but make the streets far less safe. That is until the people figure out what the word lawless really means.

Make drugs legal like booze - that dicotomy baffles me. There are many people who smoke pot, and get high on other drugs that don't victimize people - they don't belong in jail. If they do, then all the boozers do too.

Not stating the amount of drugs is not the way to go. The PIC is a monster who will continue to feed.

Make drugs legal like booze - that dicotomy baffles me. There are many people who smoke pot, and get high on other drugs that don't victimize people - they don't belong in jail. If they do, then all the boozers do too.

Not stating the amount of drugs is not the way to go. The PIC is a monster who will continue to feed.

Ohhhh you mean like the three drug dealers that beat up a 13 year old boy who refused to buy drugs then turned the three in when they threatened him.

Way to go!

Ohhhh you mean like the three drug dealers that beat up a 13 year old boy who refused to buy drugs then turned the three in when they threatened him.

Way to go!
Don't be a moron. Alcohol causes many of altercations. Alot of people who do drugs are violent criminals. Many just get high - do you wan't to place them in a violent gang ridden enviroment, and then release them back into society?

I know people who are very successful who grow pot for there own consumption. Do you want to pay for there incarceration? Alcohol brings out the worst in people - let's lock all the drinkers up. You really need to look at the drug thing levelly.

You punish crime - no victim no crime. It is really simple, and that is the way it used to be when our country was far better off!

Last edited:

Way to go!

They beat the kid up because he exposed a crime they had committed. Decriminalize it and there are no repercussions worth beating somebody up over.

The prison population would drop dramatically if more people decided not to commit crimes. Or more criminals were just shot on sight.

Legalizing criminal conduct will reduce the prison population but make the streets far less safe. That is until the people figure out what the word lawless really means.

How will DECRIMINALIZING "drug" use make the streets less safe?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Hit and run. Drugs are here to stay irregardless of the drug war whose ramifications exacerbate the problem. You would think that after 30, years of a failed war, the mindset would change. Half the people in prison on drug offenses are weed charges. Why we would lock someone up in a miserable enviroment for years, because they bought, sold, smoked a plant is evil!

Exactly.

Forum List

Back