Protests for $15-an-hour wages set to expand Wednesday

It's a job that can be done by a trained chimp. It is unskilled labor and pays appropriately.
You cons are painfully dumb. Just because it is entry level does not mean it isn't hard work. It is non stop productivity with asshole customers on top. They deserve decent pay.

You just don't get it, do you?

It doesn't matter. The value of labor, isn't determine by 'how hard it is'. Nor is the value of labor determined by how many years you have done it. Nor is it determined by the employer, or the employee.

If my CEO could simply 'decide' that my labor was worth a Million dollars an hour, he would. He would LOVE to charge the customers a million dollars an hour, to have me screw together a printer.

But my CEO has ZERO ability to determine that.

There is only ONE PERSON who determines how much labor is worth. The customer.

McDonalds would LOVE to charge $30 for a Big Mac, and pay the employees $25/hr. Just one problem... the customers wont' pay for it. At least not at the level they do in the US.

If you travel to Norway, you'll find out they pay employees at the McDonald, about $15/hr. Great! But.... the cost of a Big Mac, is... about $15. And by the way, Norway has no Minimum wage at all.

Well then clearly they still have stores, and customers are willing to pay that much in Norway! Well... not really. Most of the McDonald stores are in tourist areas. Norway, has about 1/10th the number of McDonald we have. Why? Because customers are NOT willing to pay for McDonald all the time when it's $15 for a big mac.

If you raise the prices of food at US McDonald, to be equal to that of Norway McDonald, thousands of McDonalds are going to close. The only places that will remain open, are in tourist areas, and high price areas, just like the only McDonald in Norway are in high price tourist areas.

The result will be exactly the same that we see in Norway. A fraction of the stores. Which means that all those people who have jobs right now, will be unemployed.

Again, what is my point? My point is that the wage is determined by the customers. If the customers are not willing to pay $15 for a big mac, then it doesn't matter what law you want to pass, the store can't pay the employee $15/hr.

Every single penny that a store has to pay an employee, comes from the customer. So every penny you increase the minimum wage, is a penny increase in price you put on the customer. As the price goes up, there will be fewer customers.

I've done that in my own life. I loved Chipotle. I still love Chipotle. When it was $4.75 for a burrito, I went there all the time. Now that it's $6.50, I honestly don't go there often. I typically go to Walmart and buy their $3.29 sub.

Now if you drive up the wages enough, you'll see fewer and fewer people going to those stores, and they will eventually close, the ones not in high priced areas. Obviously in New York, where prices are already much higher than the minimum wage, nothing much will change.

But in areas like Ohio, where a $5 burrito was normal... yeah customers are going to change their habits, and those employees will be laid off, earning zero, instead of the minimum wage.

This is how economics works. It doesn't really care about your political agenda.
Ok as usual you cons have the hardest time with nuance. If you raised the minimum wage to $15, the price increase wouldn't even come close to offset the extra few hundred dollars a month an employee would then make. In fact, the extra consumer demand would bring prices down over time. The initial price increase at McDonald's for instance would only be a 20 cents or so on SOME items.

Then why is it in Norway and other countries where they pay $15/hr, the price is $15 for a big mac?

You keep making claims, but the facts don't support that.
Keep spewing bullshit. Big Mac index 2015 Statistic

The most expensive McDonald s in the world - NY Daily News

"In Norway, you'll pay $23 for a single meal of Big Mac, soda and fries"

That's for the "value" meal.

McDonald s Storgata Oslo - Restaurant Reviews Phone Number Photos - TripAdvisor

From people who have actually been there.:

"Considering the prices in Norway, McDonalds is in the cheap end of the scale. Still... $15 for a Bic Mac is way overpriced - but that's the norwegian way. "

Now, you have to decide whether you are going to believe the facts....... or not.

Which is it? The way you answer this question will drastically affect how everyone on this forum views you from here on.

You have a widget on ebay. The post office is charging you 49 bucks just to ship the damn thing. You paid 20 bucks for the widget. It is worth twice that. So the item is listed at 40 bucks. Shipping and widget is now 89 bucks. Most won't bother unless you offer free shipping. So you are eating the 49 bucks and to compensate, you start the bidding at 69 bucks. You are only getting your money back since ebay takes a cut, plus the palpal fees. What do you do? List the widget for even more to compensate. Either someone will bid on it, or they won't. But the money has to come from somewhere. Ebayers aren't there to sell and make a 2 buck profit. Same with any business.

Take Pawn Stars for example. Schmuck wants 5000 for his item. Pawn Stars gets expert in there. Expert says yeah it is worth 5k. PS says he will give the guy 2000. Guy says "but your expert said it is worth 5k so that is what I want". PS says "so, I am to give you 5k, sell it for 5k IF and WHEN it sells? Where is MY profit?". Guy has deer in headlights look.

Buy and sell. Profit. Fast food is the same thing. PROFIT. Raise their pay, who have to have a register to tell them how much change to give the customer, and the money to stay in business has to come from somewhere. Which means FOOD PRICES.

Common sense, people.
Big Mac index 2015 Statistic
The price increase wouldn't really affect people.
Those on SS or a budget, it would.
The point is...if someone does not like the wage at a job they are working at or applying for....GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.

In the real world, prices would not follow wages in any kind of linear pattern, up by percentage. That would only be the last resort.

The first thing that would happen is that employers would decrease the amount of employees they carry and expect those who remain to be significantly more productive. If they aren't, they're out. Employers would also slow down on new hires, of course, and cut costs in other areas until they're completely down to the bone. Benefits down to the bone, raises down to the bone, promotions down to the bone, training down to the bone. There are other ways to cut costs as well, from automation to quality/quantity of products and services.

Only when everything is absolutely at rock bottom will they raise prices, then we'll see.

Whatever. We'll see how it plays out.

You cons are painfully dumb. Just because it is entry level does not mean it isn't hard work. It is non stop productivity with asshole customers on top. They deserve decent pay.

It doesn't matter. The value of labor, isn't determine by 'how hard it is'. Nor is the value of labor determined by how many years you have done it. Nor is it determined by the employer, or the employee.

If my CEO could simply 'decide' that my labor was worth a Million dollars an hour, he would. He would LOVE to charge the customers a million dollars an hour, to have me screw together a printer.

McDonalds would LOVE to charge $30 for a Big Mac, and pay the employees $25/hr. Just one problem... the customers wont' pay for it. At least not at the level they do in the US.

If you travel to Norway, you'll find out they pay employees at the McDonald, about $15/hr. Great! But.... the cost of a Big Mac, is... about $15. And by the way, Norway has no Minimum wage at all.

Well then clearly they still have stores, and customers are willing to pay that much in Norway! Well... not really. Most of the McDonald stores are in tourist areas. Norway, has about 1/10th the number of McDonald we have. Why? Because customers are NOT willing to pay for McDonald all the time when it's $15 for a big mac.

If you raise the prices of food at US McDonald, to be equal to that of Norway McDonald, thousands of McDonalds are going to close. The only places that will remain open, are in tourist areas, and high price areas, just like the only McDonald in Norway are in high price tourist areas.

The result will be exactly the same that we see in Norway. A fraction of the stores. Which means that all those people who have jobs right now, will be unemployed.

Again, what is my point? My point is that the wage is determined by the customers. If the customers are not willing to pay $15 for a big mac, then it doesn't matter what law you want to pass, the store can't pay the employee $15/hr.

Every single penny that a store has to pay an employee, comes from the customer. So every penny you increase the minimum wage, is a penny increase in price you put on the customer. As the price goes up, there will be fewer customers.

I've done that in my own life. I loved Chipotle. I still love Chipotle. When it was $4.75 for a burrito, I went there all the time. Now that it's $6.50, I honestly don't go there often. I typically go to Walmart and buy their $3.29 sub.

Now if you drive up the wages enough, you'll see fewer and fewer people going to those stores, and they will eventually close, the ones not in high priced areas. Obviously in New York, where prices are already much higher than the minimum wage, nothing much will change.

But in areas like Ohio, where a $5 burrito was normal... yeah customers are going to change their habits, and those employees will be laid off, earning zero, instead of the minimum wage.

This is how economics works. It doesn't really care about your political agenda.
Ok as usual you cons have the hardest time with nuance. If you raised the minimum wage to $15, the price increase wouldn't even come close to offset the extra few hundred dollars a month an employee would then make. In fact, the extra consumer demand would bring prices down over time. The initial price increase at McDonald's for instance would only be a 20 cents or so on SOME items.

Then why is it in Norway and other countries where they pay $15/hr, the price is $15 for a big mac?

"Considering the prices in Norway, McDonalds is in the cheap end of the scale. Still... $15 for a Bic Mac is way overpriced - but that's the norwegian way. "

Now, you have to decide whether you are going to believe the facts....... or not.

Which is it? The way you answer this question will drastically affect how everyone on this forum views you from here on.
According to the The Economist’s latest Big Mac Index, which is used to measure the purchasing power parity between two currencies, a Big Mac sandwich in Norway sets customers back $7.06.
Taken from your article. Also, hm, countries with higher minimum wages worldwide pay less for big macs, as shown:

You were claiming 15 dollars. Sorry, I do use facts, you make idiotic connections, try to connect the minimum wage to the 2008 crisis... Unbelievable.
Big Mac index 2015 Statistic - 2015 - Look at the countries below us, many pay out higher wages on average, have higher minimum wages...
Your only evidence is a comment on tripadvisor, let alone that Oslo is just one city? Fucks sake man.

You have a widget on ebay. The post office is charging you 49 bucks just to ship the damn thing. You paid 20 bucks for the widget. It is worth twice that. So the item is listed at 40 bucks. Shipping and widget is now 89 bucks. Most won't bother unless you offer free shipping. So you are eating the 49 bucks and to compensate, you start the bidding at 69 bucks. You are only getting your money back since ebay takes a cut, plus the palpal fees. What do you do? List the widget for even more to compensate. Either someone will bid on it, or they won't. But the money has to come from somewhere. Ebayers aren't there to sell and make a 2 buck profit. Same with any business.

Take Pawn Stars for example. Schmuck wants 5000 for his item. Pawn Stars gets expert in there. Expert says yeah it is worth 5k. PS says he will give the guy 2000. Guy says "but your expert said it is worth 5k so that is what I want". PS says "so, I am to give you 5k, sell it for 5k IF and WHEN it sells? Where is MY profit?". Guy has deer in headlights look.

Buy and sell. Profit. Fast food is the same thing. PROFIT. Raise their pay, who have to have a register to tell them how much change to give the customer, and the money to stay in business has to come from somewhere. Which means FOOD PRICES.

Common sense, people.
The price increase wouldn't really affect people.
Those on SS or a budget, it would.
The point is...if someone does not like the wage at a job they are working at or applying for....GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.
Oh, it's really that easy. :hellno:

Dude you're comparing a small European country to the US. Our economy is massive by comparison. Norway doesn't even come close to the demand power the US has.

Lol taxes and social security are taken out already, so yeah, a few extra hundred per month. This isn't rocket science.
He lied about the price as well.
OH, AND LOOK, FINLAND IS BELOW US. LOL

Finland also has absolutely no minimum wage at all. Finland McDonald's employees are paid almost the same as they are here in the US. Thus logically, the prices of a McBurger are also relatively the same.

Dude you're comparing a small European country to the US. Our economy is massive by comparison. Norway doesn't even come close to the demand power the US has.

Lol taxes and social security are taken out already, so yeah, a few extra hundred per month. This isn't rocket science.

Finland also has absolutely no minimum wage at all. Finland McDonald's employees are paid almost the same as they are here in the US. Thus logically, the prices of a McBurger are also relatively the same.
http://www.glassdoor.com/Hourly-Pay...-Pay-EJI_IE432.0,10_KO11,26_IL.27,34_IN79.htm
Still much higher then $7.25, and let's also consider the wonderful benefits given by the state in finland, and yet, the big mac still costs less. Finland also has strong labor participation, unions, which america is severely lacking in. Keep spewing more BS

According to the The Economist’s latest Big Mac Index, which is used to measure the purchasing power parity between two currencies, a Big Mac sandwich in Norway sets customers back $7.06.
Taken from your article. Also, hm, countries with higher minimum wages worldwide pay less for big macs, as shown:

You were claiming 15 dollars. Sorry, I do use facts, you make idiotic connections, try to connect the minimum wage to the 2008 crisis... Unbelievable.
Big Mac index 2015 Statistic - 2015 - Look at the countries below us, many pay out higher wages on average, have higher minimum wages...
Your only evidence is a comment on tripadvisor, let alone that Oslo is just one city? Fucks sake man.

So you have decided that people who have actually gone to Norway, and lived there, and have reported back, are not legitimate sources of data.

You have now disqualified yourself from the debate.

McDonald s Sweden Taunts Norway With Big Mac Billboard at the Border Adweek

Sweden posted a bill board:

In Norway, a Big Mac costs the equivalent of about $14.41, says the billboard. In Sweden, it's only about $9.08. Of course, that's still way too much for a Big Mac.

So even the people in Sweden, make fun of the fact a Big Mac is $14.41 in Norway.

How many people do you need to tell you that you are wrong, before you admit that you don't know what the flip your talking about?

So you have decided that people who have actually gone to Norway, and lived there, and have reported back, are not legitimate sources of data.

In Norway, a Big Mac costs the equivalent of about $14.41, says the billboard. In Sweden, it's only about $9.08. Of course, that's still way too much for a Big Mac.

So even the people in Sweden, make fun of the fact a Big Mac is $14.41 in Norway.

How many people do you need to tell you that you are wrong, before you admit that you don't know what the flip your talking about?
I've disqualified myself? You've tried to blame the 2008 crisis on the minimum wage.
norway big mac price - Google that, tell me the first result. First comment on that article on fucking adweek?
Ice cold trollin'

Like a Swede.
LOL

Oh, and you seem to be only looking at Oslo, look at the average price in Norway instead of cherry picking what you want to believe instead of what is true.

and remember the good old days when it cost about 25 cents to park, sometimes near a restaurant? now that some want to raise it to 15.00 to eat, may as well raise it to 10.00 hr to park. thats a lot of quarters!

This is the part where Andy desperately tries to find another guy in norway complaining about the price in fucking Oslo.

http://www.glassdoor.com/Hourly-Pay...-Pay-EJI_IE432.0,10_KO11,26_IL.27,34_IN79.htm
Still much higher then $7.25, and let's also consider the wonderful benefits given by the state in finland, and yet, the big mac still costs less. Finland also has strong labor participation, unions, which america is severely lacking in. Keep spewing more BS

No, not true. When I was working at McDonald's myself, I wasn't paid minimum wage. Minimum wage is reserved almost exclusively for part time, and new hires. If you work there just 6 month straight, you'll be making significantly more than minimum wage. If you stay a full year, working full time, you'll easily be a dollar plus more than the minimum wage.

McDonald s raising average worker wage to about 10 an hour Reuters

The average wage RIGHT NOW.... when the minimum wage is $7.25.... is $9. When the average wage in Finland is 9€, that is highly comparable. Again, 9€ is the average, just like $9 in the US is the average. Meaning many make less, and many make more, exactly like the US.

So as I said.... wages are extremely comparable, and thus prices are also very comparable.

By the way, I've read that in Finland, McDonald's starts off employees as "trainees" for only 4€/hr. Much lower than the minimum wage here, which could be why prices are slightly lower in Finland, than in the US.

No, not true. When I was working at McDonald's myself, I wasn't paid minimum wage. Minimum wage is reserved almost exclusively for part time, and new hires. If you work there just 6 month straight, you'll be making significantly more than minimum wage. If you stay a full year, working full time, you'll easily be a dollar plus more than the minimum wage.

The average wage RIGHT NOW.... when the minimum wage is $7.25.... is $9. When the average wage in Finland is 9€, that is highly comparable. Again, 9€ is the average, just like $9 in the US is the average. Meaning many make less, and many make more, exactly like the US.

So as I said.... wages are extremely comparable, and thus prices are also very comparable.

By the way, I've read that in Finland, McDonald's starts off employees as "trainees" for only 4€/hr. Much lower than the minimum wage here, which could be why prices are slightly lower in Finland, than in the US.
Yeah, I used to work a mcdonalds, my coworkers who had been there for 2 years were making 7.85, what's your point? Ok, that's the average wage, now tell me the average wage in finland?
In Finland, the average household net-adjusted disposable income per capita is 26 904 USD a year, more than the OECD average of 23 938 USD a year
OECD Better Life Index
Yet, the big mac still costs less.
9 in finland is $ 9.78, and finland has a higher average wage, let alone all the benefits
Oh, yeah, how long are they trainees, and you've already admitted that the "bottom workers" are just a minority, why don't we look at your averages? You're getting desperate.

I've disqualified myself? You've tried to blame the 2008 crisis on the minimum wage.
norway big mac price - Google that, tell me the first result. First comment on that article on fucking adweek?
Ice cold trollin'

Like a Swede.
LOL

No, you have absolutely proven yourself unqualified to talk. I have googled it, and looked through dozens of articles, all saying the same thing.

AT this point, you have identified yourself as a person who refuses all facts that do not jive with your predetermined answer.

You have completely revealed to everyone that you intend to not look at the evidence. Very well. Remain ignorant, but don't expect to convinced anyone anywhere of your position. Perhaps you'll find some simple minded forest gump type that will buy your pre-packaged ignorance, but the rest of us will not.

Ice cold trollin'

Like a Swede.
LOL

No, you have absolutely proven yourself unqualified to talk. I have googled it, and looked through dozens of articles, all saying the same thing.

AT this point, you have identified yourself as a person who refuses all facts that do not jive with your predetermined answer.

You have completely revealed to everyone that you intend to not look at the evidence. Very well. Remain ignorant, but don't expect to convinced anyone anywhere of your position. Perhaps you'll find some simple minded forest gump type that will buy your pre-packaged ignorance, but the rest of us will not.
Are you fucking kidding me? If anything, you have proven yourself unable to talk. You're looking at the meal price it seems, but it is not $15 for an individual fucking big mac, maybe for the meal in Oslo, but then again, it's fucking Oslo. I refute facts?
Introducing the 7.76 Big Mac - Jul. 24 2014 - 7.76 in 2014, look at the 2015 first result.
http://www.economist.com/content/big-mac-index - Sorry, I'd rather use actual facts.
Really? You keep claiming a meal is a big mac, in one city. God..
Ok. I'll use the first page of googling it to show your idiocy:
"norway big mac price"
1: Big Mac index 2015 Statistic
2: Big Mac Index - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
"
According to the The Economist’s latest Big Mac Index, which is used to measure the purchasing power parity between two currencies, a Big Mac sandwich in Norway sets customers back $7.06. That compares to $4.33 in the US.
3.) The most expensive McDonald s in the world - NY Daily News
4.) Big Mac is Cheapest in India and Most Expensive in Norway - The Nordic Page - Economy
I'll go off of the economist and the first result, thanks.

Ice cold trollin'

Like a Swede.
LOL

It’s debating stupid people that’s hard
Oh, I absolutely agree, it's a real problem, isn't it, especially when you're trying to claim a single big mac is $15
:rofl:

Yeah, I used to work a mcdonalds, my coworkers who had been there for 2 years were making 7.85, what's your point? Ok, that's the average wage, now tell me the average wage in finland?
In Finland, the average household net-adjusted disposable income per capita is 26 904 USD a year, more than the OECD average of 23 938 USD a year
OECD Better Life Index
Yet, the big mac still costs less.
9 in finland is $ 9.78, and finland has a higher average wage, let alone all the benefits
Oh, yeah, how long are they trainees, and you've already admitted that the "bottom workers" are just a minority, why don't we look at your averages? You're getting desperate.

No, I'm not desperate at all. In fact, I have always believed that it's the person who constantly accuses everyone else of being desperate, that they themselves are the desperate ones. The fact your argument is so poor, your falling back on accusing everyone of being desperate.... kind of implicates yourself in your own accusation.

Back to the better life index...

The two are not really connected. If everyone who worked at McDonalds went to college and get a degree in Engineering, they would all be making tons of money later in life.

The fact is, some people choose to not do this. In fact, when I was working at McDonald, there was a manager there, a chick who had a degree in Architecture. Now... that not a bad degree. The average salary for such a degree is $73K. Yet she was earning a fraction of that as shift manager at McDonald. Why? I asked her, like "Why the HECK are you here?" and she told me straight up, she wanted the flexibility of working at McDonalds, and be at home with her kids more.

We have more low-skill and low-wage employees in America. A significant chunk of that is choice. More people in Finland choose to move up to higher paying employment. Thus they have pretty good per capita income.

Has nothing to do with how much McDonald's pays its employees. Has to do with how McDonald employees make the choice to move up the economic ladder.

Ice cold trollin'

Like a Swede.
LOL

It’s debating stupid people that’s hard
Oh, I absolutely agree, it's a real problem, isn't it, especially when you're trying to claim a single big mac is $15
:rofl:
Thomas Sowell was talking about you. Look... I've made my case, and provided clear cut evidence a dozen times now.

You have made the choice to be ignorant. That's fine. I'm not mad. You can stay uninformed until you die. It's no skin off my back. Good luck with that.

Forum List

Back