Protests for $15-an-hour wages set to expand Wednesday

It's a job that can be done by a trained chimp. It is unskilled labor and pays appropriately.
You cons are painfully dumb. Just because it is entry level does not mean it isn't hard work. It is non stop productivity with asshole customers on top. They deserve decent pay.

Maybe. But how valuable work is has nothing to do with what people deserve.
So valuable work doesn't entitle people to a wage they can live off of?

I'm not sure what you mean. Can you re-phrase the question?
The work they do deserves a higher wage because they cannot live off the wage they have now.

Right. The market value of a given product or service has nothing to do with what people deserve.

And who are you to say what people deserve?

I'm not.
It should be the laborers who determine what they deserve, without them, the work would not get done.

Well, like I said, how valuable their work is has nothing to do with what they "deserve". It's a function of how much other people want what they're doing.
People do seem to want fast food.. :beer:

They do. But how much? Double the price, and find out!
If the minimum wage rose to $15:
Morelix's take: If McDonald's workers were paid the $15 they're demanding, the cost of a Big Mac would go up 68 cents, from its current price of$3.99 to $4.67. By his estimates, A Big Mac meal would cost $6.66 rather than $5.69, and the chain's famous Dollar Menu would go for$1.17.
From forbes. Doesn't seem like that much at all, and it isn't, considering that those same minimum wage workers would have more disposable income, etc..

Maybe. But how valuable work is has nothing to do with what people deserve.

I'm not.
It should be the laborers who determine what they deserve, without them, the work would not get done.

Well, like I said, how valuable their work is has nothing to do with what they "deserve". It's a function of how much other people want what they're doing.
Do you honestly think McDonald's pays their employees based on what they think they deserve?

No. That's my point. They pay employees based on what their labor is worth to the customers they are selling to.

I'm not.

Do you honestly think McDonald's pays their employees based on what they think they deserve?

No. That's my point. They pay employees based on what their labor is worth to the customers they are selling to.
And how do they come to this conclusion exactly? Quantitatively.

Be prepared for burgers to go way up in price. No more dollar meals.
Morelix's take: If McDonald's workers were paid the $15 they're demanding, the cost of a Big Mac would go up 68 cents, from its current price of$3.99 to $4.67. By his estimates, A Big Mac meal would cost $6.66 rather than $5.69, and the chain's famous Dollar Menu would go for$1.17.
- Forbes
And remember that this is a high estimate, try again, this is barely anything.

- Forbes
Does forbes own McD's? Only McD's knows what they will do to offset a pay raise. And you KNOW they will.

- Forbes
Does forbes own McD's? Only McD's knows what they will do to offset a pay raise. And you KNOW they will.
That is the predicted estimate based on what we've observed of past wage increases, etc... I know they will raise prices, and this is the prediction from fucking forbes, a heavily pro-capitalism site.

By how much their customers are willing to spend. And how much the employees demand. That's pretty much it. "Deserve" doesn't enter into it.

From forbes. Doesn't seem like that much at all, and it isn't, considering that those same minimum wage workers would have more disposable income, etc..

It's not that much. But it's not nothing. Do you think it will result in more sales? Or less?

By how much their customers are willing to spend. And how much the employees demand. That's pretty much it. "Deserve" doesn't enter into it.
This is a multi billion dollar company. They can afford to pay their employees more.

It's not that much. But it's not nothing. Do you think it will result in more sales? Or less?
More sales, since more people would have disposable income.

This is a multi billion dollar company. They can afford to pay their employees more.

So what?

Poor people typically go to McDonald's. From a pay increase, they are more likely to go more often.

Nice, now we should finally understand you

Great, now we can finally understand you. You are a minimum wage failure! No wonder you hate the Jews. Losers like you never look in the mirror and say "I am stuck in a minimum wage job, because of myself." No you have to blame your failure on others - those evil JJJOOOOSSSS!

Then they should totally crank on that idea. Have you contacted McDonald's headquarters?

Then they should totally crank on that idea. Have you contacted McDonald's headquarters?
They should crank on it, but short term profits are more important for the capitalist.

15 bucks an hour to toss a burger? PAHLEASE.
Have you ever worked fast food. Those people bust their ass and deal with asshole customers. You can call the position inferior if you want, but it's non stop productivity for these restaurant and they get paid jack shit.

It's a job that can be done by a trained chimp. It is unskilled labor and pays appropriately.
You cons are painfully dumb. Just because it is entry level does not mean it isn't hard work. It is non stop productivity with asshole customers on top. They deserve decent pay.

You just don't get it, do you?

It doesn't matter. The value of labor, isn't determine by 'how hard it is'. Nor is the value of labor determined by how many years you have done it. Nor is it determined by the employer, or the employee.

If my CEO could simply 'decide' that my labor was worth a Million dollars an hour, he would. He would LOVE to charge the customers a million dollars an hour, to have me screw together a printer.

But my CEO has ZERO ability to determine that.

There is only ONE PERSON who determines how much labor is worth. The customer.

McDonalds would LOVE to charge $30 for a Big Mac, and pay the employees $25/hr. Just one problem... the customers wont' pay for it. At least not at the level they do in the US.

If you travel to Norway, you'll find out they pay employees at the McDonald, about $15/hr. Great! But.... the cost of a Big Mac, is... about $15. And by the way, Norway has no Minimum wage at all.

Well then clearly they still have stores, and customers are willing to pay that much in Norway! Well... not really. Most of the McDonald stores are in tourist areas. Norway, has about 1/10th the number of McDonald we have. Why? Because customers are NOT willing to pay for McDonald all the time when it's $15 for a big mac.

If you raise the prices of food at US McDonald, to be equal to that of Norway McDonald, thousands of McDonalds are going to close. The only places that will remain open, are in tourist areas, and high price areas, just like the only McDonald in Norway are in high price tourist areas.

The result will be exactly the same that we see in Norway. A fraction of the stores. Which means that all those people who have jobs right now, will be unemployed.

Again, what is my point? My point is that the wage is determined by the customers. If the customers are not willing to pay $15 for a big mac, then it doesn't matter what law you want to pass, the store can't pay the employee $15/hr.

Every single penny that a store has to pay an employee, comes from the customer. So every penny you increase the minimum wage, is a penny increase in price you put on the customer. As the price goes up, there will be fewer customers.

I've done that in my own life. I loved Chipotle. I still love Chipotle. When it was $4.75 for a burrito, I went there all the time. Now that it's $6.50, I honestly don't go there often. I typically go to Walmart and buy their $3.29 sub.

Now if you drive up the wages enough, you'll see fewer and fewer people going to those stores, and they will eventually close, the ones not in high priced areas. Obviously in New York, where prices are already much higher than the minimum wage, nothing much will change.

But in areas like Ohio, where a $5 burrito was normal... yeah customers are going to change their habits, and those employees will be laid off, earning zero, instead of the minimum wage.

This is how economics works. It doesn't really care about your political agenda.

They should crank on it, but short term profits are more important for the capitalist.

Not necessarily. Investors in established companies like McDonalds are usually looking at long term investments. With your insight, they could clean up.

15 bucks an hour to toss a burger? PAHLEASE.
Have you ever worked fast food. Those people bust their ass and deal with asshole customers. You can call the position inferior if you want, but it's non stop productivity for these restaurant and they get paid jack shit.

You just don't get it, do you?

It doesn't matter. The value of labor, isn't determine by 'how hard it is'. Nor is the value of labor determined by how many years you have done it. Nor is it determined by the employer, or the employee.

If my CEO could simply 'decide' that my labor was worth a Million dollars an hour, he would. He would LOVE to charge the customers a million dollars an hour, to have me screw together a printer.

But my CEO has ZERO ability to determine that.

There is only ONE PERSON who determines how much labor is worth. The customer.

McDonalds would LOVE to charge $30 for a Big Mac, and pay the employees $25/hr. Just one problem... the customers wont' pay for it. At least not at the level they do in the US.

If you travel to Norway, you'll find out they pay employees at the McDonald, about $15/hr. Great! But.... the cost of a Big Mac, is... about $15. And by the way, Norway has no Minimum wage at all.

Well then clearly they still have stores, and customers are willing to pay that much in Norway! Well... not really. Most of the McDonald stores are in tourist areas. Norway, has about 1/10th the number of McDonald we have. Why? Because customers are NOT willing to pay for McDonald all the time when it's $15 for a big mac.

If you raise the prices of food at US McDonald, to be equal to that of Norway McDonald, thousands of McDonalds are going to close. The only places that will remain open, are in tourist areas, and high price areas, just like the only McDonald in Norway are in high price tourist areas.

The result will be exactly the same that we see in Norway. A fraction of the stores. Which means that all those people who have jobs right now, will be unemployed.

Again, what is my point? My point is that the wage is determined by the customers. If the customers are not willing to pay $15 for a big mac, then it doesn't matter what law you want to pass, the store can't pay the employee $15/hr.

Every single penny that a store has to pay an employee, comes from the customer. So every penny you increase the minimum wage, is a penny increase in price you put on the customer. As the price goes up, there will be fewer customers.

I've done that in my own life. I loved Chipotle. I still love Chipotle. When it was $4.75 for a burrito, I went there all the time. Now that it's $6.50, I honestly don't go there often. I typically go to Walmart and buy their $3.29 sub.

Now if you drive up the wages enough, you'll see fewer and fewer people going to those stores, and they will eventually close, the ones not in high priced areas. Obviously in New York, where prices are already much higher than the minimum wage, nothing much will change.

But in areas like Ohio, where a $5 burrito was normal... yeah customers are going to change their habits, and those employees will be laid off, earning zero, instead of the minimum wage.

This is how economics works. It doesn't really care about your political agenda.
The amount of bullshit in this post hurts my head, in regards to price increases.
Tell me more. - Forbes

Forum List

Back