Puerto Rican Statehood

Puerto Rico voted overwhelmingly to support statehood yesterday
Puerto Rican voters back statehood in questioned referendum

What would be the impact of Puerto Rico becoming the 51st state?

With a population of 3.5 million, they would be our 30th most populated state and receive 7 Electoral Votes
The Senate would have 102 Senators

Coming in as a fiercely Democratic State.....would Republicans block statehood because they do not want to give up the seats?
So Congress has to approve it? By how much?

From the Constitution...
New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress
I wonder if this is a decision that is now 51/49 or still 60/40? Or even more?

I would imagine a simple majority

But given the peculiarities of todays Senate, it would take 60 votes to reach the floor

The consent of the States probably means a State by State vote, and 26 of 50 saying "yes"

Before direct election of senators, one could say a 52-48 vote of the senate could be taken as consent of the States Legislatures, but I don't think that would work now.
The way I read it, the votes of the State Legislatures are only needed in the case of splitting or joining a state/states. THOSE states need to vote. Adding a new state doesn't require a vote by each state in its legislature.

Notice none of the lefties will address the fact that there was only 23% voter turn out. The opponents boycotted the vote.

The vote doesn't accurately depict what is really going on in PR and bringing them into the fold would only cause more social unrest. Which is exactly what the progressives really want. More angry oppressed people to protest.

Trump won the popular vote in 30 of 50 states. Pretty close to a landslide, yes.

It may well be waaaayyyyy beyond your comprehension, but are you comparing the population of Alabama with that of California or New York???.....Just asking.....LOL

Trump won the popular vote in 30 of 50 states. Pretty close to a landslide, yes.

It may well be waaaayyyyy beyond your comprehension, but are you comparing the population of Alabama with that of California or New York???.....Just asking.....LOL

No I wasn't comparing the pop of AL to CA.

The population of all 30 states he won is more than the 20 states Hillary won. That's why their EC numbers outweigh the Dim states. That must be waaaaaayyyyy beyond your comprehension.

Only 23% voted but yeah - the US wiped out their manufacturing and agriculture. As it is, the tee potty made an enormous mess with favoritism and nepotism. The people there are like here in that they believe the lies from the right.

BTW, drumpf owns land on Vieques.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

The population of all 30 states he won is more than the 20 states Hillary won. That's why their EC numbers outweigh the Dim states. That must be waaaaaayyyyy beyond your comprehension.

In other words, you and I go play poker.....You win THREE hands of $10 and I win ONE hand of $100, and you would STILL claim that you won more???................LOL

In other words, you and I go play poker.....You win THREE hands of $10 and I win ONE hand of $100, and you would STILL claim that you won more???................LOL

Keep trying Naty.

:dig:

With a population of 3.5 million, they would be our 30th most populated state and receive 7 Electoral Votes

Coming in as a fiercely Democratic State.....would Republicans block statehood because they do not want to give up the seats?

They want us pay their fucking Bills

Didn't we pay Texas debt?

Didn't we pay Texas debt?

LOL, YOU pay Puerto Rico's debts then. God you people are a strange bunch.

Keep trying Naty.

:dig:

Maybe this map will help your 5th grade education........

U.S. population spread.....

upload_2017-6-12_14-54-0.png

Forum List

Back