Question for Christians

Anonymous1977

(NOT AFFILIATED WITH GROUP CALLED, "ANONYMOUS")
Nov 7, 2014
האי שלי
Greetings,

I'm not a scholar of religion I should say, but anyway I was thinking about these Scriptures from the Bible (Luke 22:36-38 & Ephesians 6:12:)

Luke 22:36-38
36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

37 For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end.

38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

Ephesians 6:12
12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Christians, why did Jesus say to buy a sword? and Paul say that Christians(OR his followers) do not wrestle against flesh and blood? Is this a contradiction?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Peace.

Greetings,

I'm not a scholar of religion I should say, but anyway I was thinking about these Scriptures from the Bible (Luke 22:36-38 & Ephesians 6:12:)

Luke 22:36-38
36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

37 For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end.

38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

Ephesians 6:12
12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Christians, why did Jesus say to buy a sword? and Paul say that Christians(OR his followers) do not wrestle against flesh and blood? Is this a contradiction?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Peace.

First of all, you're blowing the first passage out of proportion. Jesus and Peter were meeting before the crucifixion in verses 34 and 35. In that time, swords were used for self defense, much as firearms are today. They were most certainly used by Jesus' disciples to defend Jesus, or one of their brethren. If you want proof of such, look at the instance where Peter cut off Malchus' ear.

Secondly, Ephesians 6:11 says 'Put on the whole armor of God, that you may stand against the wiles of the devil.' The second passage says why we don the armor in the first place. To combat the 'rulers of darkness of this world' and 'spiritual wickedness in high places;' not to wrestle with flesh and blood. That wasn't it's purpose. It basically tells you to guard your mind from the evil of the Devil and his handiwork.

There is no contradiction. Sigh, there are always people trying to discredit the Christian faith. Yours was a pretty halfhearted attempt. With all due respect, you must learn to read the Bible in context before picking out random verses and calling them 'contradictions.' By all means, I would encourage you to read it all.

Last edited:
First of all, you're blowing the first passage out of proportion. Jesus and Peter were meeting before the crucifixion in verses 34 and 35. In that time, swords were used for self defense, much as firearms are today. They were most certainly used by Jesus' disciples to defend Jesus, or one of their brethren. If you want proof of such, look at the instance where Peter cut off Malchus' ear.

Secondly, Ephesians 6:11 says 'Put on the whole armor of God, that you may stand against the wiles of the devil.' The second passage says why we don the armor in the first place. To combat the 'rulers of darkness of this world' and 'spiritual wickedness in high places;' not to wrestle with flesh and blood. That wasn't it's purpose. It basically tells you to guard your mind from the evil of the Devil and his handiwork.

There is no contradiction. Sigh, there are always people trying to discredit the Christian faith. Yours was a pretty halfhearted attempt. With all due respect, you must learn to read the Bible in context before picking out random verses and calling them 'contradictions.' By all means, I would encourage you to read it all.

Actually, Sir/Ma'am you have assigned motives to me that you are imagining; I was just trying to hear an explanation to something that I didn't understand.

And, if I'm not mistaken, one of the names of Satan in the Bible is "the accuser;" just something to think about when you are feeling like accusing people.

Peace.

Forum List

Back