Question for gun enthusiast.

You don't need high capacity mags and an extreme rate of fire to protect your home. The fact remains, a shotgun does a wonderful job and, trust me on this one, the jacking of a shotgun shell into a chamber really makes anyone up to no good to consider making his peace with Jesus.

You don’t know what you are talking about….some people can’t handle a shotgun very well but a rifle is fine for them…..women in particular can have a problem dealing with recoil in a shotgun vs a rifle.

I have always been a fan of a handgun in a caliber than can deliver the "THUMP".

I like a revolver for self-defense, especially for defending my home.
That's a good choice, as well as the AR and a few other styles of gun.
Would you say that a gun used for self-defense, where there is an expected possibility of shooting to take a life, might call for more safety training than one used for target practice, or some other non-self-defense purpose?

The question was pretty simple. No one has offered an answer yet. Any other uses?

Self defense…the primary reason…..but some hunters say hunting feral hogs may require follow up shots when the animal is charging and you miss

I'm not asking what type of gun should be allowed to be used for self-defense. I'm asking which ones seem more suited to self-defense.

That depends…..on a ranch in Texas a rifle like an AR-15 would be good……

I also like a revolver for home defense since waking up at night you don’t have to worry about magazine or failure to load….

If we are talking about a riot, where you have to protect your home or a business from blm, antifa or Hamas brown shirts as they are burning, looting and murdering people, an AR-15 would be better

You don’t know what you are talking about….some people can’t handle a shotgun very well but a rifle is fine for them…..women in particular can have a problem dealing with recoil in a shotgun vs a rifle.
Regardless of the gun type, would you say that any used gun for self-defense, where there is a real chance of having to take a life, might require more training on a different level than a gun that is not primarily intended to shoot a person?

Self defense…the primary reason…..but some hunters say hunting feral hogs may require follow up shots when the animal is charging and you miss
In that case, it's still self-defense, isn't it?

That's a good choice, as well as the AR and a few other styles of gun.
Would you say that a gun used for self-defense, where there is an expected possibility of shooting to take a life, might call for more safety training than one used for target practice, or some other non-self-defense purpose?

From actual stories of gun owners who have used guns for self defense, they are not complicated to use and you don’t need to be a Navy SEAL or a member of Delta to use them….

I favor more training but it should not be used to bar people from owning and carrying a gun for protection

Regardless of the gun type, would you say that any used gun for self-defense, where there is a real chance of having to take a life, might require more training on a different level than a gun that is not primarily intended to shoot a person?

No. I have read too many stories of self defense where untrained people have used guns successfully to stop criminals.

These people are not clearing rooms like military operators they are shooting to stop a violent attacker…

Story after story of untrained people using guns and doing it just fine

Do you want me to list the stories?

Kyle Rittenhouse had little training and still managed to use his rifle to stop 3 violent criminals successfully without injuring any of the other brown shirts in the crowd.

That depends…..on a ranch in Texas a rifle like an AR-15 would be good……

I also like a revolver for home defense since waking up at night you don’t have to worry about magazine or failure to load….

If we are talking about a riot, where you have to protect your home or a business from blm, antifa or Hamas brown shirts as they are burning, looting and murdering people, an AR-15 would be better
Are guns used on a ranch normally expected to be used to kill a person?
I'm talking about any gun that is designated a self-defense weapon in any situation. Should more training be required for a gun specifically designed to kill than for a target pistol that normally isn't expected for self-defense?

If you really want, I can give you a list of stories of real life events and how normal people, with little to no training used guns for self defense and did so effectively….

Most of the time criminals run away…. But when they don’t, the normal people do fine

Are guns used on a ranch normally expected to be used to kill a person?
I'm talking about any gun that is designated a self-defense weapon in any situation. Should more training be required for a gun specifically designed to kill than for a target pistol that normally isn't expected for self-defense?

No. As I keep pointing out, your fears are unjustified by real life experiences……

From actual stories of gun owners who have used guns for self defense, they are not complicated to use and you don’t need to be a Navy SEAL or a member of Delta to use them….

I favor more training but it should not be used to bar people from owning and carrying a gun for protection
So you don't think taking a life should call for more training than other uses for a gun. You'll note I didn't say required. I'm asking if it's reasonable that taking a life calls for more training than a non-self-defense weapon

If you really want, I can give you a list of stories of real life events and how normal people, with little to no training used guns for self defense and did so effectively….

Most of the time criminals run away…. But when they don’t, the normal people do fine
Do you think little to no training is the best choice for a weapon intended for self-defense?

No. As I keep pointing out, your fears are unjustified by real life experiences……
Obviously, you and others are concentrating more on countering what you think I might be getting at than what I am actually asking.

Lots of talk about bump stocks and high rate of fire rifles. I understand there is a constitutional right to bear arms, but on a practical level, is there any reason for high rate of fire for anything other than self-defense? Obviously, if you are defending your home from attackers, you need that high rate of fire, and extended capacity, but are there any other circumstances where a high rate of fire and extended capacity are required?
Bump stocks, belt hoops, itchy fingers, just something to bitch about, something for nothing.

So you don't think taking a life should call for more training than other uses for a gun. You'll note I didn't say required. I'm asking if it's reasonable that taking a life calls for more training than a non-self-defense weapon

Again, I support as much training as you can get, but again, no requriement for it....

I have seen too many stories of normal people, with little to no training, using their guns effectively to fight off violent criminals to think they have to go through massive amounts of training to own or carry a gun.........

In this first story.....she is being violently attacked, stabbed with a knife....and she uses her gun effectively..........

What I want you to know on Gun Violence Awareness Day

I correctly listened to my instincts; I had a feeling that my life was in danger in that elevator and prepared myself mentally for what was potentially to come.

I ran to my car in an attempt to escape and, before I could even get my entire body in my car, I was tackled by my attacker.

This man quickly overpowered me, stabbed at me with a knife, clamped his hand over my mouth multiple times, and repeatedly tried forcing me in the passenger seat of my car while telling me, “We’re going.”

The entire time this was happening, a rusted, serrated knife was being stabbed towards my abdomen and held at my face.

I had been hit in the face, thrown over my driver’s side console, and had rips in my tights from his hands trying to force my legs up and over into the passenger seat.

There are some individuals that think gun owners are “trigger happy” and wanting to pull their weapons out at the first opportunity. There is nothing further from the truth.

The night I was attacked, I fought like hell for my life before reaching for my gun. I kicked, I screamed, I had all ten fingernails ripped off and bloodied from scratching and trying to fight my way out of a literal life and death situation.
Ultimately, I accessed my gun, shot my attacker multiple times, and saved my life. He will be spending years in prison for what he did to me.

Using a gun in self-protection is not a decision one makes lightly; in fact, I never dreamed that I would be forced into a situation where I would have to do so. However, I also never imagined such evil existing in the world so that I would be powerless, wounded, on my back and unable to physically force my attacker off of me.

I owned a gun and had been trained on how to use it. I know how to safely carry and that a gun is a serious and significant weapon; it is not to be used carelessly. Naysayers and people with opposing opinions may try to undermine my situation with hypotheticals. I cannot answer these questions. All I can do is tell the facts of my story and the true account of how I saved my own life.

What I want you to know on Gun Awareness Day is that a gun in the hands of a potential victim is not improperly placed; it can be the only thing keeping her from being brutally raped and murdered.

Without my gun, I would not be alive today.

Guns are not the problem in America; men like my attacker -- who are willing to violently change one person’s life for no reason except for pure evil – are the problem.

Be safe at all times. Be aware of your surroundings. Trust your instincts. Always be able to protect yourself. Refuse to be a victim, and instead be a fighter and a survivor. Live to tell your tale and make a criminal regret the day he chose you as a “soft target.” My gun saved my life, and one could save yours too.

===============

Waking up to an armed intruder in your house would be any home owner’s worst nightmare. If you’re a single mother with two young kids in the house, finding a man wielding a machete in your bedroom closet immediately kicks you into “momma bear” mode.

That’s what happened to a California woman who woke up to the sound of a man rummaging through her walk-in closet. The thief — Ocean Burger (his name, not a restaurant) — was armed with a number of knives and a machete when the un-named woman grabbed a handgun and confronted him.

Like her....handgun vs. AR-15

Witnesses said Butler seemed agitated and left but returned to the complex shortly after, armed with an AR-15 style rifle, and started shooting at the crowd.

Police said a woman pulled out her pistol, shooting and killing him.

"This lady was carrying a lawful firearm," Hazelett said. "A law abiding citizen who stopped the threat of probably 20 or 30 people getting killed. She engaged the threat and stopped it. She didn't run from the threat, she engaged it. Preventing a mass casualty event here in Charleston."

Woman credited with stopping mass shooting at apartment complex in West Virginia

======

Like him....

Deputies: Osceola pastor shot church janitor in self-defense

According to deputies, Parangan pulled out a handgun and fired multiple shots at Pastor Terry Howell, who took out his own weapon and fired back, striking Parangan.

Howell was not injured, but Parangan was taken to Osceola Regional Medical Center in critical condition.

Deputies said several church employees witnessed the incident and gave similar statements.
========

Like him....
Penn. psychiatric center shooting intended mass killing: DA

The Pennsylvania patient accused of killing his caseworker in a psychiatric center shooting carried dozens of bullets — and he would have likely continued shooting if a doctor didn’t fire back, officials said.

Richard Plotts, 49, is expected to be charged with murder for allegedly opening fire at Sister Marie Lenahan Wellness Center in Darby Thursday.

After he killed his caseworker, 53-year-old Theresa Hunt, and shot his psychiatrist, Lee Silverman, the wounded doctor fired back, stopping the attack, District Attorney Jack Whelan said in a Friday press conference.

Plotts had 39 more bullets on him. He intended a mass shooting, Whelan said.

=========

Like him...

As Hunt and other partiers had a bite to eat in the kitchen, the suspect pulled out a gun and began firing on the crowd, sending everyone fleeing, Mendez recounted.

Mendez was shot in the head in front of his wife, who rushed to his side and believed he was dead due to the amount of blood covering his face. She then grabbed their two daughters and put them into a room deeper in the house, barricading them and other children inside.

"She barricaded the door with the dresser. There were three other children in there, not including my two daughters. A total of five kids. She … throws them in the closet, throws clothes over them. Tells them, ‘Be quiet. Do not make a peep if you hear loud noises in this room,’" Mendez said of his wife's actions.

As Hunt continued his alleged rampage, two other women began fighting back against the suspect and screamed for Mendez, knowing he had a concealed carry weapon, Mendez said.

"By the glory of God or the adrenaline and just everything, just the will to live and the will to protect my family, I was able to hear those pleas, those yells for help. I heard my name. And I was able to get up," he said.

He was able to pull out his firearm and shoot the suspect four times in the chest.

"Detectives have determined the individual who shot Jason, and others who fought against Jason, were acting in self-defense and defense of other innocent parties," Sgt. Tommy Hale said in a press release days after the incident, KTAR reported at the time.

[/URL]

Forum List

Back