Question for gun enthusiast.

Obviously, you and others are concentrating more on countering what you think I might be getting at than what I am actually asking.

No....you are leading us on a merry little trip to your point......and we have a history with you.

Do you think little to no training is the best choice for a weapon intended for self-defense?

Nope....I want people to get training....but again....guns are not complicated tools, and the vast majority of self defense is not going room to room engaging multiple, trained attackers....

These encounters are violent criminals who have no interest in prolonged combat with an armed victim.....so extensive close quarters battle training with a hand gun is not necessary.

...are there any other circumstances where a high rate of fire and extended capacity are required?
If this group of highly trained men who were sent by the government with guns require this many rounds to exterminate what they appear to deem as a threat, then why shouldn't someone's wife or mother be afforded that same opportunity?

Why not, Santy Clause? Why not...

Do you think little to no training is the best choice for a weapon intended for self-defense?

And this guy....

A man broke into a home at random with intentions of killing the entire family inside, court records show.

However, that man, Ricardo Perez Castillo, was stopped by the homeowner and held at gunpoint until police arrived.

Castillo, 24, was arraigned Monday, June 17, in Grand Rapids 63rd District Court on four felony charges in connection to a random stabbing that wounded an 11-year-old girl.
-----------
Police said video surveillance showed Castillo entering the residence on Ella Terrace Court NE in Rockford where he stripped down to only his underwear and T-shirt. Castillo then grabbed a knife from a kitchen drawer and walked upstairs, the affidavit states.

He opened the door to the master bedroom and noticed a husband and wife asleep. Castillo shut the door and “went to look for an easier target,” the affidavit states. That lead Castillo to a room where the homeowner’s daughter and her friend were sleeping.

Castillo removed his underwear and started stabbing an 11-year-girl while on top of her. The girl’s screaming awoke the homeowner who called 911 and told dispatchers he was holding Castillo at gunpoint until police arrived. She was stabbed multiple times in her arm and shoulder, requiring surgery.

When sheriff’s deputies got to the home, they found Castillo in a bedroom with a bloody knife next to him. Castillo told police he didn’t know the family or the girl he attacked. He said he planned to kill one girl and then have sex with her body, the affidavit states.

That's a good choice, as well as the AR and a few other styles of gun.
Would you say that a gun used for self-defense, where there is an expected possibility of shooting to take a life, might call for more safety training than one used for target practice, or some other non-self-defense purpose?

Absolutely! I think any first time shooter should get every class he can sign up for.

And this guy....

A man broke into a home at random with intentions of killing the entire family inside, court records show.

However, that man, Ricardo Perez Castillo, was stopped by the homeowner and held at gunpoint until police arrived.

Castillo, 24, was arraigned Monday, June 17, in Grand Rapids 63rd District Court on four felony charges in connection to a random stabbing that wounded an 11-year-old girl.
-----------
Police said video surveillance showed Castillo entering the residence on Ella Terrace Court NE in Rockford where he stripped down to only his underwear and T-shirt. Castillo then grabbed a knife from a kitchen drawer and walked upstairs, the affidavit states.

He opened the door to the master bedroom and noticed a husband and wife asleep. Castillo shut the door and “went to look for an easier target,” the affidavit states. That lead Castillo to a room where the homeowner’s daughter and her friend were sleeping.

Castillo removed his underwear and started stabbing an 11-year-girl while on top of her. The girl’s screaming awoke the homeowner who called 911 and told dispatchers he was holding Castillo at gunpoint until police arrived. She was stabbed multiple times in her arm and shoulder, requiring surgery.

When sheriff’s deputies got to the home, they found Castillo in a bedroom with a bloody knife next to him. Castillo told police he didn’t know the family or the girl he attacked. He said he planned to kill one girl and then have sex with her body, the affidavit states.

That was a tragic event, and it's good that the person had a gun to stop the attacker, but I'm not sure it has anything to do with anything I asked.

Absolutely! I think any first time shooter should get every class he can sign up for.
I agree. A first-time shooter SHOULD get training not only in gun safety but in the local laws regarding storage and use of the weapon, regardless of its purpose. He/she should also get plenty of practice in at a local shooting range and be very familiar with how the weapon handles. They are, after all, not toys and can kill if improperly used.

That is why, although I agitate for the continued freedom to own and use firearms, I don't have any in my house. Things happen, and I made the personal decision to remove the possibility of someone being accidentally harmed. Thankfully, I don't live in a dangerous area and feel little need for a firearm.

Of course everyone should get as much training as possible. I'll try one more time.

The purchase of a self-defense weapon assumes the expectation that if used for its intended purpose it will be used to shoot a person. Purchase of a hunting or target practice gun does not come with that assumption. Should the purchase of a gun with the intention of shooting a person, even in a self-defense situation, require more training than a gun not intended for that purpose.

1718808420390.png

BULLDOG

Did you forget to respond?

Should the purchase of a gun with the intention of shooting a person, even in a self-defense situation, require more training than a gun not intended for that purpose.
Training requirements for the basic exercise of the right to keep and bear arms violate the constitution.

Forum List

Back