Questions on Decriminalization/Legalization movement

You act like they are different parties when in fact they're not

tapatalk post

how would you know? you have never been to a party that was mostly pot.....i doubt if you have ever seen a joint .....but i bet you sucked up that beer.....

Bunch of people getting high and eating doritoes is not a party.

tapatalk post

you said.....You act like they are different parties when in fact they're not ....how in the fuck would you know?....you have never seen a joint.....you have never been to a party with a bunch of people smoking pot....so how the fuck would you know?.....did Katz tell you?....

i agree....Alcohol makes many turn into their asshole im a brave motherfucker persona....i have seen people talk more after smoking Pot but never like they are now some brave asshole thats going to kick everyone's ass.....
Quite right. That fact alone should give pause to the most adamant anti-pot mentality.

One of my neighbors is a retired police Captain with 30 years on the job. While he's not a member of L.E.A.P. (Law Enforcement Against Prohibition) he strongly advocates legalizing marijuana for exactly the reason you cited. I'm sure any experienced police officer will agree.

Doesn't it stay in your system for weeks?

you are not high for weeks Rocko.....you are not high even the next day.....Rock you ever smoke Pot?....or are you like Katz....clueless.....

I smoked a few times when I was younger. I laughed my ass off, but it wasn't for me..I've always been a health nut, my body is my temple and I respect my body too much to do something I know is bad for me.

hey at least your admitting something.....Thanatoad has never seen a joint but is trying to talk like he has lots of personal experience with pot....if you are a casual smoker it is no worse for you than if you are a casual drinker.....if you over indulge, as with anything,it will have some kind of effect on you....

The whole point of smoking weed is to get high. A person can drink alcohol responsibly. It is true that there are a significant amount of alcohol and pot related automobile deaths. So is your plan to make things worse by legalizing weed and having more people drive stoned.

Rock....why do guys come home from work and drink a few beers?......why do they drink watching a game?.....

Having a few isn't necessarily bad for you, as a matter of fact drinking two cups of red wine at night is good for the heart, some say. The fact is smoking any amount of pot, for anyone, is bad.

why do they drink the beer Rock?.....you are avoiding that....they drink it to get a buzz....

You've got it almost right, so let's trim the rough edge.

Marijuana is "mentally addictive" -- but only where those affected by the addictive personality are concerned. These are individuals who are inclined to addiction and will throughout their tormented lives become addicted to everything from chocolate to alcohol, sex, and/or opiates. And somewhere along the line they will pick up on marijuana.

The infamous "gateway drug" notion is attributed to this category because it is assumed their addictive progress began with marijuana when in fact it could have started with Hershey bars, cigarettes, beer, or any number of things. I knew someone who once drove fifteen miles to an all-night convenience store at 3AM to buy Coca Cola. She also was "addicted" to marijuana and cocaine. I will assume that by now, presuming she's still alive, she has progressed to heroin and amphetamines.

Fortunately the addictive personality is uncommon. So to think of marijuana as being mentally addictive in the general sense is a mistake.

Good point, Mike. I like you don't really buy the gateway drug argument, and for that reason. BTW, I smoked pot in High School and for a couple years in college. It was the seventies, pot was everywhere. I also do believe what they say and that it's a lot more potent now. I never did any other drugs and had no interest in doing so. However, I do think my starting to grow up and quitting smoking pot are not unrelated.
Does that same argument apply to alcohol for you, or anyone else, as well?

Is drinking a childish thing that tapers off and ultimately stops once one "grows up?" Should it be?
Generally, I would say that is the case. I know that I drank a LOT more when I was under 21 than I actually do over 21.

Some of the luster wears off after time and drinking just does not have the same draw. Of course, there are many people that still have that beer with dinner or in the afternoon in much the same manner that there are people that have that joint after work to wind down.

Nothing wrong with that at all.

The benefit from granting people like you the freedom to smoke a joint doesn't outweigh the harm caused to society by mentally ill people smoking. Besides smoking pot is bad for everyone. Yes it does have a few medicinal purposes, and should be used in those rare circumstances, but by in large it's harmful to everyone.

Rocko....would you be for banning Alcohol and Cigarettes because of the harmful effects they have on everyone?......

No, because can be consumed responsibly and cigarettes mainly only effect people who smoke and doesn't effect behavior the way weed does.

you are being a hypocrite Rock....how many people are killed yearly in this country by drunk drivers?......how many marriages are ruined because of alcohol?....how many people do Cigarets end up killing?....why is Nicotine one of the most addicting drugs around and one of the hardest to break?....

and doesn't effect behavior the way weed does

alcohol sure affects behavior dont it?....and pot can be consumed responsibly too....

What happened in America the last time Marijuana was legalized?

Fuck you with your bullshit story about how legalizing pot won WWII! You're an absolute disgrace, you dirty fucking pothead!
Yeah, American history is MY bullshit story. Why do you not want to learn about your own country? America legalized "Marihuana" and society didn't collapse. The exact opposite happened. We saved the world.

Hemp_for_victory_1942.png

Hemp%20for%20Victory%20-%201942%20-%20Special%20tax%20stamp%20-%20producer%20of%20marihuana.jpg

victory_garden.jpg

those dont really say much about what your saying do they?.....

It's not just about stabbing sprees, although more incidents would occur if pot was decriminalized/made legal. I personally don't know anyone harmed by schizophrenic, but I'm sure such cases exist.

But stabbing sprees were your main example up to this point. At least you agree that it's a non-issue (because neither you nor I, nor anyone I know has ever heard of this occurring, lol). We're getting somewhere..

What about the burden on society from all the pot related car accidents? Don't you think legalizing pot lead to more of them?

If the # of accidents is to be our criteria on whether or not a substance should be illegal, are you willing to prohibit alcohol as well given that it is responsible for tens of thousands of deaths - far more than marijuana - each year from people behind the wheel?

If you're consistent, I can respect that.

Not necessarily "banning alcohol," but first effectively addressing the issues of drug related violence, crime or driving dangers BEFORE opening up avenues to any further drug access.

Why not solve public health and safety issues with abuse and addiction first? Wouldn't that make for a safer and more supportive environment for any related substance issue?

Because legalization IS the first step. First we have to pull it out of the shadows and dispel the lies and misinformation. After that, revenue generated can be used to fund real ad campaigns, proper studies and the discussion can happen out in the light of day. As long as we are forcing people to hide their habit, we are not going to be able to aptly address them.

Maybe if you were not high you would get it

tapatalk post

Being AD i cannot get high on anything - even many leagal substances so do try again.

More importantly, I DO get it. the problem is that you failed because his question was not one that required an admittance to a false premise to answer. That was your assumption with that asinine retort, was it not?

Even then, I can successfully answer the question by dispelling the false premise out the gate. That was extremely easy and also blatantly obvious. YOU would have gotten that if you were intelligent enough to understand why I answered your question in the manner that I did.

Now, back to that point that you keep avoiding....

You've obviously never dropped acid or ate peyote.

First, you have no idea what I have and have not partaken in and second, what the fuck does that matter. That has nothing to do with anything that I have stated or the fact that thantos completely want to avoid dealing with the topic or the facts presented within.

I would interject that the VAST majority of pot smokers I have met have not been ‘enlightened’ by use of the drug. There are a few examples of such (though this is normally a side effect of LSD and not pot) but that is an outlier and not the average use.

In my experience, pot does one thing and that is make a temporary moron. That is not a reason to illegalize it but I find your tact in this particular part of the debate counterproductive. Pot should not be legal because of its perceived good that it accomplishes. Going down that road give the illegal crowd to much power because pot does very little ‘good.’ It should be legalized simply because the government has no right to stop me from ingesting a benign substance that does nothing more than get me high. What I chose to do with my body is my own right. There is nothing there for the illegal crowd to gain purchase on which is why they have universally clung to lies and extreme cases to try and justify their chosen big daddy government oversight.

I agree in that it's silly to use the "pot's good" argument when debating the removal of prohibition. That argument - much like you said - is irrelevant because things don't need to be "beneficial to society" to be legal. If that were the case every single reality TV show would be outlawed, and a great deal of popular music as well. Kaz and I were just discussing the "benefits" of marijuana as a side convo.

With that said, I can't speak for everyone but I think the drug can be beneficial if you use it correctly. You've got to realize that a lot of people who smoke and are successful use the drug somewhat covertly - in the comfort of their home - and (wisely) do not advertise it due to many of the negative stigmas hanging out there right now. I think that's an important thing to remember.

‘Beneficial’ is a rather vague term in this context. I only think that the drug can be used in a manner that does not interfere with you or your activities. It is actually surprising the number of fully functioning people that you would have zero idea they partake actually do so on a daily basis. I don’t see it as any more beneficial than any other activity that calms you down or helps you have a good time though. Basically, it is not beneficial in and of itself my mind.

It is simply another activity that you may or may not engage in, nothing more or less. Calming you down or reliving stresses are beneficial and the drug might help you do so or it might not. So can a million other things.

A person can overdose on quinine. A person cannot overdose on Cannabis.

1972!

You are a drug addict. Everything you do and say is going to protect your drug. Alcoholics do the same thing. That's why addicts can't be rehabilitated. Their best end comes like Philip Hoffman and Whitney Houston.

1972!

You are a drug addict. Everything you do and say is going to protect your drug. Alcoholics do the same thing. That's why addicts can't be rehabilitated. Their best end comes like Philip Hoffman and Whitney Houston.
Are you retarded?

Marijuana was outlawed in 1937. Why? "Because Marihuana causes incurable insanity". 1937 to 1972. That's 35 years. That's 35 years of people smoking illegal marijuana and NOT developing psychosis. The Shafer Commission reviewed all of the data available and came to the conclusion that the majority of claims against marijuana were false.

From 1972 to today, millions of Americans have been smoking marijuana and NOT developing psychosis. So from 1937 to 2014, the anti-drug dumbfucks have been saying that marijuana has to be illegal because it causes psychosis and yet for the past 77 years, there hasn't been any widespread surge in the number of pot smokers developing schizophrenia or any other mental problems.

1972!

Interestingly enough, there have been studies done since the mid 60's, and cannabis (or if you like, marijuana or pot) has never been proven to be addictive.

At least not physically, like heroin or alcohol...........................

You people who state that cannabis can become addictive from a psychological view are right, but those who state it becomes addictive from a physical view are wrong.

But then again...................gambling, shopping, co-dependent relationships, or anything else that someone can become psychically addicted to are rampant as well.

If you become psychically addicted to something, does that mean we should ban it as well?

Do we ban shopping, gambling, or co-dependent relationships? Or do we ban other things as well (like getting rich)?

Forum List

Back