Questions on Decriminalization/Legalization movement

Then why do you care if they have marijuana prohibition? Can't you say "I don't smoke anyway"? Again, you are MUCH,

But why do you accept that "raft of problems"? Why not just ban alcohol too? Why add to the problem of addiction by keeping alcohol legal, with liquor stores on every street corner, and bars everywhere you look?

I don't care if they have alcohol prohibition. I don't drink anyway.

Then why do you care if they have marijuana prohibition? Can't you say "I don't smoke anyway"? Again, you are MUCH,

its called being a fucking hypocrite.....

Because even though I do not use marijuana, the effects of other people's use of marijuana impacts me. If a drunk brings a bottle of scotch to a party everyone knows its scotch. They can drink it or not. A pothead might bring a plate of cookies and no one knows whether its poisoned or not.

IT's a good thing marijuana's illegal, then. I'm sure the fact that there's a law against the drug prevents anybody from sneaking weed into baked goods.

The War on Drugs definitely is far from perfect. I think that, in addition to the criminal justice element that is being prioritized, additional resources could be spent on bringing recovering addicts back into the community. I also think that social conservatives have failed to connect with a lot of younger people on this issue (and I say this as a young conservative). We need better strategies for approaching this issue, because I do believe we are losing to the left-wingers, liberals, and libertarians-and not just on this issue, either.

I wouldn't mind seeing someone passing out THC brownies and cookies at the RNC, or hook up a vaporizer to the building's air system and hotbox the convention.

The War on Drugs definitely is far from perfect. I think that, in addition to the criminal justice element that is being prioritized, additional resources could be spent on bringing recovering addicts back into the community. I also think that social conservatives have failed to connect with a lot of younger people on this issue (and I say this as a young conservative). We need better strategies for approaching this issue, because I do believe we are losing to the left-wingers, liberals, and libertarians-and not just on this issue, either.

Have you ever considered NOT being a conservative? Since conservatives have always been wrong throughout history?

There is no "pot addiction", therefore there is no risk, Emily.

"Mental addiction" is a bullshit psychobabble phrase. Every one of us that posts here regularly is "mentally addicted". Watching a regular program on TV or following a baseball team or going to the movies habitually on a Friday night is "mental addiction". We're talking about nothing more than habit, and cheapening the concept of "addiction".

Real addiction carries physical consequences, such as those posted earlier about alcohol. No such thing occurs with cannabis. Doesn't exist.

So no, Harry, I see no such agreement.

And this has been established for a long long time:
>> A person may be a confirmed smoker for a prolonged period, and give up the drug voluntarily without experiencing any craving for it or exhibiting withdrawal symptoms. He may, at some time later on, go back to its use. Others may remain infrequent users of the cigarette, taking one or two a week, or only when the "social setting" calls for participation.

From time to time we had one of our investigators associate with a marihuana user. The investigator would bring up the subject of smoking. This would invariably lead to the suggestion that they obtain some marihuana cigarettes. They would seek a "tea-pad," and if it was closed the smoker and our investigator would calmly resume their previous activity, such as the discussion of life in general or the playing of pool. There were apparently no signs indicative of frustration in the smoker at not being able to gratify the desire for the drug. We consider this point highly significant since it is so contrary to the experience of users of other narcotics. A similar situation occurring in one addicted to the use of morphine, cocaine, or heroin would result in a compulsive attitude on the part of the addict to obtain the drug. If unable to secure it, there would be obvious physical and mental manifestations of frustration. This may be considered presumptive evidence that there is no true addiction in the medical sense associated with the use of marihuana. << -- LaGuardia Committee Report, 1944

A person may be a confirmed smoker for a prolonged period, and give up the drug voluntarily without experiencing any craving for it or exhibiting withdrawal symptoms. He may, at some time later on, go back to its use. Others may remain infrequent users of the cigarette, taking one or two a week, or only when the "social setting" calls for participation.

you are pointing out 95% of Pot smokers Pogo with this.....i smoked for about 30 years and when it got to be a pain in the ass to get it.....i quit.....i was as you described up there...BUT....if you cant put the joint down,you have a mental addiction to it.....if you cant go a day or two without toking up....if you are trying to stay away from your stash....but cant,you have a mental addiction......the great majority of Pot smokers dont have these problems.....but some do....

so your a junkie is what you're saying

yea thats what im saying...did you get to the part where i said i quit?....of course you did,but you are a dumbass so it dont matter with you.....you do realize every time you comment you show everyone here how you dont have much knowledge about pot and how you have never even been around it.....to say you have even tried it is laughable....

There is no "pot addiction", therefore there is no risk, Emily.

"Mental addiction" is a bullshit psychobabble phrase. Every one of us that posts here regularly is "mentally addicted". Watching a regular program on TV or following a baseball team or going to the movies habitually on a Friday night is "mental addiction". We're talking about nothing more than habit, and cheapening the concept of "addiction".

Real addiction carries physical consequences, such as those posted earlier about alcohol. No such thing occurs with cannabis. Doesn't exist.

So no, Harry, I see no such agreement.

And this has been established for a long long time:
>> A person may be a confirmed smoker for a prolonged period, and give up the drug voluntarily without experiencing any craving for it or exhibiting withdrawal symptoms. He may, at some time later on, go back to its use. Others may remain infrequent users of the cigarette, taking one or two a week, or only when the "social setting" calls for participation.

From time to time we had one of our investigators associate with a marihuana user. The investigator would bring up the subject of smoking. This would invariably lead to the suggestion that they obtain some marihuana cigarettes. They would seek a "tea-pad," and if it was closed the smoker and our investigator would calmly resume their previous activity, such as the discussion of life in general or the playing of pool. There were apparently no signs indicative of frustration in the smoker at not being able to gratify the desire for the drug. We consider this point highly significant since it is so contrary to the experience of users of other narcotics. A similar situation occurring in one addicted to the use of morphine, cocaine, or heroin would result in a compulsive attitude on the part of the addict to obtain the drug. If unable to secure it, there would be obvious physical and mental manifestations of frustration. This may be considered presumptive evidence that there is no true addiction in the medical sense associated with the use of marihuana. << -- LaGuardia Committee Report, 1944

A person may be a confirmed smoker for a prolonged period, and give up the drug voluntarily without experiencing any craving for it or exhibiting withdrawal symptoms. He may, at some time later on, go back to its use. Others may remain infrequent users of the cigarette, taking one or two a week, or only when the "social setting" calls for participation.

you are pointing out 95% of Pot smokers Pogo with this.....i smoked for about 30 years and when it got to be a pain in the ass to get it.....i quit.....i was as you described up there...BUT....if you cant put the joint down,you have a mental addiction to it.....if you cant go a day or two without toking up....if you are trying to stay away from your stash....but cant,you have a mental addiction......the great majority of Pot smokers dont have these problems.....but some do....

Again ... "mental addiction" is a bullshit psychobabble term. Has no meaning. Anything anyone does regularly can be considered "mental addiction". Going to work could be a "mental addiction" if you do it every day. That's not what an addiction is so let's stop stretching the meaning to accommodate assholes like TheNutHouse.

come on Pogo....you have to go to work if you want to eat....you dont have to smoke pot....so are you going to say taking a piss is an addiction too?...

Have you ever considered NOT being a conservative? Since conservatives have always been wrong throughout history?

lots of Conservatives smoke Pot and are for it being Decriminalized.....not all of them have their heads up their asses like Katz and Thanatos....geezus read some of the Pot threads around here.....you might learn something....

I think though (when talking about marijuana specifically) - there's no reason an adult should be forbidden from growing and using this plant if he/she wants to do so, and can do so in a way that doesn't negatively affect others (I'm fine with making "driving and smoking" illegal).

As I stated before, if you're also for alcohol prohibition I can respect that, and respect the fact that you apply the same standard to all recreational drugs and have a vision of a "sober" society. I'll disagree completely with you, but will at least respect your consistency.

Where do you stand on alcohol prohibition?

I think social conservatives dont connect with liberals and liberaltarians. Also I think that only idiots dont use morals when making decisions

yea thats what im saying...did you get to the part where i said i quit?....of course you did,but you are a dumbass so it dont matter with you.....you do realize every time you comment you show everyone here how you dont have much knowledge about pot and how you have never even been around it.....to say you have even tried it is laughable....
I read that also that you are still smoking pot...

I wouldn't mind seeing someone passing out THC brownies and cookies at the RNC, or hook up a vaporizer to the building's air system and hotbox the convention.
So you would like to see a mass poisoning? You sick fuck.

That's not a mass poisoning. That's just a large group of people getting high.

Again, you can't die from ingesting marijuana. It doesn't "kill" the human body (ie the definition of a poison). If it did, people would be dying from it in large numbers (because large numbers of people ingest it currently).

Unless you too are completely sober all of the time (ie you're "not still drinking") then you have no room to talk.

If you drink, take caffeine, smoke cigarettes, ect, you have no room to criticize others. Period.

And even if you are sober - all the time - you should worry about yourself and not what others choose to do to relax in peace.

really?....you read here that i still smoke?....can you point that out?...

So you would like to see a mass poisoning? You sick fuck.

That's not a mass poisoning. That's just a large group of people getting high.

Again, you can't die from ingesting marijuana. It doesn't "kill" the human body (ie the definition of a poison). If it did, people would be dying from it in large numbers (because large numbers of people ingest it currently).

Kevin if you have never smoked it,like Thanatos,how would he know this?....the guy is Paranoid about something he knows nothing about....

Is the problem of alcoholism helped or hurt by adding thousands of pot addicts to the legions of drunks?

A drunk can always sober up. There is nothing a pothead can do.

There's no such thing as a "pot addict". You're a liar. And there's nothing a liar can do.

Do people really get addicted to marijuana? | Scope Blog

This issue reminds me of the pitbull fights,
where why is it that people who want to defend pitbulls always cite studies that back them,
and people who don't want to take risks with pitbulls always cite studies that back them up.

And both sides dismiss each other's resources as biased and having conflicts of interest.
Don't both sides have conflicting biases and interests?

What are the chances that pot ALWAYS poses a risk of addiction or NEVER poses a risk.
As long as there are some cases that go either way, neither side's bias is 100%.

Psychological dependence in not a physiological dependence.

I'm more addicted to coffee than I am to cannabis.

Again ... "mental addiction" is a bullshit psychobabble term. Has no meaning. Anything anyone does regularly can be considered "mental addiction". Going to work could be a "mental addiction" if you do it every day. That's not what an addiction is so let's stop stretching the meaning to accommodate assholes like TheNutHouse.

come on Pogo....you have to go to work if you want to eat....you dont have to smoke pot....so are you going to say taking a piss is an addiction too?...

Don't be silly Harry. Normal body functions essential to staying alive are not "options".

I'm just saying that by accommodating this bullshit idea of "mental addiction" we feed and enable this myth that the ignorant like TheNutHouse wander around murmuring. People watch TV every night; they don't have to, but it qualifies just as much as this "mental addiction" idea. But take the TV away and there are no withdrawal symptoms; there's only an interruption in routine. So what? Routines get interrupted all the time, nothing wrong with that. Let's not melt down and pretend that watching TV, or Friday night pizza , or whatever it is, constitutes "addiction". It doesn't.

Comparing simple routines with, say, a heroin addict whose supply is interrupted and has genuine withdrawal changes, just cheapens the latter.

Last edited:

lots of Conservatives smoke Pot and are for it being Decriminalized.....not all of them have their heads up their asses like Katz and Thanatos....geezus read some of the Pot threads around here.....you might learn something....

I'll say it again -- it's not the conservatives who are standing in the way. It's the authoritarians who dig the idea of government controlling people.

There's no such thing as a "pot addict". You're a liar. And there's nothing a liar can do.

Do people really get addicted to marijuana? | Scope Blog

This issue reminds me of the pitbull fights,
where why is it that people who want to defend pitbulls always cite studies that back them,
and people who don't want to take risks with pitbulls always cite studies that back them up.

And both sides dismiss each other's resources as biased and having conflicts of interest.
Don't both sides have conflicting biases and interests?

What are the chances that pot ALWAYS poses a risk of addiction or NEVER poses a risk.
As long as there are some cases that go either way, neither side's bias is 100%.

Psychological dependence in not a physiological dependence.

I'm more addicted to coffee than I am to cannabis.

That's true. If I "power out" for several days on those early calls and long days, and then one day it's over so I don't drink coffee, I get a headache from caffeine withdrawal. And I never get headaches normally.

That's addiction, a very very mild one, but there's an actual physiological change brought on by using a stimulant and then interrupting supply.

Anyone here care about Mexico's economy destabliizing because of the legalization issue causing prices to plummet? The violence there inreasing tensions and competititon between rival industries? That instability creating a perfect pocket for a back door terrorism issue for the US?

National security? ...

*Crickets...the sound of a bong gurgling...* *long exhale*...

Too stoned to put all the pieces of the puzzle together?

Pizza anyone? Doritos? Screw looking for work. Let's just put in a DVR of Dumb and Dumber and chillax for today.

Forum List

Back