Quote for the day

Eric Snowden Quotes

"I believe that at this point in history, the greatest danger to our freedom and way of life comes from the reasonable fear of omniscient State powers kept in check by nothing more than policy documents."

"Even if you're not doing anything wrong, you're being watched and recorded. ...it's getting to the point where you don't have to have done anything wrong, you simply have to eventually fall under suspicion from somebody, even by a wrong call, and then they can use this system to go back in time and scrutinize every decision you've ever made, every friend you've ever discussed something with, and attack you on that basis, to sort of derive suspicion from an innocent life."

"Allowing the U.S. government to intimidate its people with threats of retaliation for revealing wrongdoing is contrary to the public interest."

"I do not want to live in a world where everything I do and say is recorded. That is not something I am willing to support or live under."

"I don't want to live in a world where there's no privacy, and therefore no room for intellectual exploration and creativity."

"I have no intention of hiding who I am because I know I have done nothing wrong."

"I had been looking for leaders, but I realized that leadership is about being the first to act."

"The great fear that I have regarding the outcome for America of these disclosures is that nothing will change. [People] won't be willing to take the risks necessary to stand up and fight to change things... And in the months ahead, the years ahead, it's only going to get worse. [The NSA will] say that... because of the crisis, the dangers that we face in the world, some new and unpredicted threat, we need more authority, we need more power, and there will be nothing the people can do at that point to oppose it. And it will be turnkey tyranny."

"I know the media likes to personalize political debates, and I know the government will demonize me."

When life throws you lemons - make lemonade! - Elbert Hubbard

“You rarely have time for everything you want in this life, so you need to make choices. And hopefully your choices can come from a deep sense of who you are. ”
― Fred Rogers

“I hope you're proud of yourself for the times you've said "yes," when all it meant was extra work for you and was seemingly helpful only to someone else.”
― Fred Rogers, The World According to Mister Rogers: Important Things To Remember

“If you could only sense how important you are to the lives of those you meet; how important you can be to the people you may never even dream of. There is something of yourself that you leave at every meeting with another person.”
― Fred Rogers

“Anything that’s human is mentionable, and anything that is mentionable can be more manageable. When we can talk about our feelings, they become less overwhelming, less upsetting, and less scary. The people we trust with that important talk can help us know that we are not alone.”
― Fred Rogers

“When I say it's you I like, I'm talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch. That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed.”
― Fred Rogers

“Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way.”
― Viktor E. Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning

“An abnormal reaction to an abnormal situation is normal behavior.”

“Life is never made unbearable by circumstances, but only by lack of meaning and purpose.”
― Viktor E. Frankl

“Those who have a 'why' to live, can bear with almost any 'how'.”

“It is not freedom from conditions, but it is freedom to take a stand toward the conditions.”

Love is the only way to grasp another human being in the innermost core of his personality”
― Viktor E. Frankl

“Love is a decision, it is a judgment, it is a promise. If love were only a feeling, there would be no basis for the promise to love each other forever. A feeling comes and it may go. How can I judge that it will stay forever, when my act does not involve judgment and decision.”
― Erich Fromm, The Art of Loving

“Man is the only animal for whom his own existence is a problem which he has to solve.”
― Erich Fromm

“One cannot be deeply responsive to the world without being saddened very often.”
― Erich Fromm

“Nationalism is our form of incest, is our idolatry, is our
insanity. 'Patriotism' is its cult... Just as love for one
individual which excludes the love for others is not love,
love for one's country which is not part of one's love
for humanity is not love, but idolatrous worship.”
― Erich Fromm

“Modern man has transformed himself into a commodity; he experiences his life energy as an investment with which he should make the highest profit, considering his position and the situation on the personality market. He is alienated from himself, from his fellow men and from nature. His main aim is profitable exchange of his skills, knowledge, and of himself, his "personality package" with others who are equally intent on a fair and profitable exchange. Life has no goal except the one to move, no principle except the one of fair exchange, no satisfaction except the one to consume.p97.”
― Erich Fromm, The Art of Loving

“We forget that, although freedom of speech constitutes an important victory in the battle against old restraints, modern man is in a position where much of what "he" thinks and says are the things that everybody else thinks and says; that he has not acquired the ability to think originally - that is, for himself - which alone gives meaning to his claim that nobody can interfere with the expression of his thoughts.”
― Erich Fromm, The Fear of Freedom

“Life has no meaning. Each of us has meaning and we bring it to life. It is a waste to be asking the question when you are the answer.”
― Joseph Campbell

“If you are falling....dive.”
― Joseph Campbell

“All religions are true but none are literal.”
― Joseph Campbell

“There is perhaps nothing worse than reaching the top of the ladder
and discovering that you’re on the wrong wall.”
― Joseph Campbell

“I think the person who takes a job in order to live - that is to say, for the money [not for purpose or passion]- has turned himself into a slave.”
― Joseph Campbell

“You are the Hero of your own Story.” Joseph Campbell

“When you follow your bliss...doors will open where you would not have thought there would be doors, and where there wouldn't be a door for anyone else. ”
― Joseph Campbell

"Vae, puto deus fio"

- Vespasian's last words.

{"Alas, I think I am becoming a God"}

Quotations are so much more effective when doled out one at a time, one per post, rather than several at a time as if no one of them is significant enough to stand on its own. ---Kooshdakhaa

Quotations are so much more effective when doled out one at a time, one per post, rather than several at a time as if no one of them is significant enough to stand on its own. ---Kooshdakhaa

I don't mind posting or reading several at a time or one at a time, if the content is good it is still effective for me.

:cool:

In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life;It goes on. ~ Robert Frost

I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. ~ Alice Roosevelt Longworth

I don't mind posting or reading several at a time or one at a time, if the content is good it is still effective for me.

I know, that was a snarky thing for me to say. Sorry.

Yeah, but it's easier for me to remember if it's one at a time.

Yeah, but it's easier for me to remember if it's one at a time.

“Anything that’s human is mentionable, and anything that is mentionable can be more manageable. When we can talk about our feelings, they become less overwhelming, less upsetting, and less scary. The people we trust with that important talk can help us know that we are not alone.”
― Fred Rogers

“Nationalism is our form of incest, is our idolatry, is our
insanity. 'Patriotism' is its cult... Just as love for one
individual which excludes the love for others is not love,
love for one's country which is not part of one's love
for humanity is not love, but idolatrous worship.”
― Erich Fromm

Forum List

Back