Quote for the day

64b0cf23d89042c6141995ad3751dcb0.jpg

A great friend has the ability to perceive you from the perspective of your adversary as well as a comrade.---Unknown

This quote has made me think a lot about my own situation as I consider myself a boot strap girl. The difference between where I came from and where I am today is massive. I did not get encouragement or financial assistance from my family. None. I did get financial assistance from the government for school costs through the work study program and student loans. Any encouragement I got was from teachers, nothing huge, they weren't bending down to lift me up, they were just doing their job encouraging hard working, bright students. I think teachers do a whole lot more of lifting people up than folks realize because it is such a normal part of what they do. It is such a sad and tragic thing in the States how badly teachers are viewed and treated. It is not like that in other countries. If there is anyone to thank beyond myself for what I've achieved in life, it is teachers. And being an American citizen didn't hurt either. Stop criticizing your country so much, people.

“In learning you will teach, and in teaching you will learn.”
― Phil Collins

"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.”
― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

The full quote does mention teachers;

None of us got where we are solely by pulling ourselves up by our bootstraps. We got here because somebody - a parent, a teacher, an Ivy League crony or a few nuns - bent down and helped us pick up our boots.

Thurgood Marshall

So you are right that many of us became what we are today because we were encouraged by our teachers who recognized our potential and gave us a little shove as to how to put our boots on the right feet. ;)

If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. ~ Bertrand Russell

The great secret that all old people share is that you really haven't changed in 70 or 80 years. Your body changes, but you don't change at all. ~ Doris Lessing

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

"I think everybody should get rich and famous and do everything they ever dreamed of so they can see that it's not the answer." - Jim Carrey

"The men the American people admire most extravagantly are the most daring liars; the men they detest most violently are those who try to tell them the truth. " - H.L. Mencken

"In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross." Sinclair Lewis

"The president of the United States has claimed, on more than one occasion, to be in dialogue with God. If he said that he was talking to God through his hairdryer, this would precipitate a national emergency. I fail to see how the addition of a hairdryer makes the claim more ridiculous or offensive." Sam Harris (Letter to a Christian Nation)

"As long as we believe in absurdities we shall continue to commit atrocities." Voltaire

"If an enemy does evil to you, do not do it back to him." - "I've heard this before." - "Of course you have - truth is truth." (Enemy Mine)

"You never see animals going through the absurd and often horrible fooleries of magic and religion. . . . Dogs do not ritually urinate in the hope of persuading heaven to do the same and send down rain. Asses do not bray a liturgy to cloudless skies. Nor do cats attempt, by abstinence from cat's meat, to wheedle the feline spirits into benevolence. Only man behaves with such gratuitous folly. It is the price he has to pay for being intelligent but not, as yet, quite intelligent enough." Aldous Huxley

Everybody likes top 10 lists. And when there's only 9, they puzzle over it and think even more about it. ;)

Last edited:
"The measure of a man's true nature is how he would behave if he knew he never would be found out."

Forum List

Back