Raise Retirement age and cut benefits or not?

Lets raise the retirement age to 70 because 70 year old people can still stand and work a full 8 hour shift without dropping dead...right? /SARCASM x10

Actually, they can

70 year olds are on better shape than 60 year olds 30 years ago

Why would they be in better shape today? True, we have more medical advancements, but that just makes you live longer. It doesn't make you in better shape. The body still wears out after so many abuses.

Not only are they in better shape, but medical advances let workers continue much, much longer

Used to be a heart attack forced your retirement...same with cancer

Also.....joints, hips are, easily replaced.

Hmmm. According to Democrats, we are in worse shape today than we've ever been. We have a serious weight problem in this country not to mention bad diets. You know, DumBama forced all those restaurants to post calorie content in every item on the menu which cost restaurants plenty of money.

Well I'll be sure to tell Michelle what you said if I happen to meet her; we are in better shape than ever.
Work till you are 70 fatty
You know a lot of 70 year olds in the job market?

Who are you people? How old are you?

Do we touch Medicare and Social Security or not?

With Medicare, it's all about the government giving money to drug companies and rich doctors. We should gradually raise the retirement age, yes. But as far as cutting what Medicare is willing to pay, that would hurt seniors because the greedy doctors and drug companies would stop accepting Medicare. So the only viable thing there is health reform to cut the costs of healthcare paid by all so that what Medicare pays can also go down. Obamacare was supposed to work on that, but because of the toxic Washington environment they rushed out a Democrat only plan rather than working together with Republicans on the healthcare cost issue.

On Social Security, raise the retirement age, and tax benefits to more well off seniors. It's not fair, but there's no alternative. The money seniors put in to social security is gone and the current generation can't sustain the older generation at the current benefit level.

So fixing medicare is much tougher and must be done hand in hand with healthcare reform.

Bottom line: Huckabee, Christie, Bush, everybody had some good ideas. Get together with Democrats and come up with something.

We need to elect somebody who can do that because neither party will win absolute power in 2016.
No you do not raise the retirement age! Nobody wants to work till 70.
Wanting is irrelevant. The current system is not sustainable. Changes have to be made. And that means there will be pain and unpleasantness.
Bullshit. Less war spending and raise taxes on the rich and corporations.

You cut them you can raise them back. Hillary will show you.
Oh please. Look, you can buy that nonsense all you like.
Do the math..It won't make a dent. And anyone with any kind of intelligence knows this. And it will never happen....BTW, as a side note. On so called war spending. Look no further than the guy that just extended ( again) the time frame of our presence in Afghanistan.
Google "the donor class"...
There you'll find that the wealthy and the big bad corporations have sidled up to the democrat party. They have all decided that it is financially feasible and wise to curry favor with the democrats by donating to dem candidates and liberal causes. IN turn the democrats offer concessions on regulations, tax breaks and of course waivers for things such as Obamacare.
If you think the lobbyists for the donor class haven't already told both Sanders and Clinton the conditions under which they get those donations, you're nuts. And very naive
Umm, Hillary isn't showing us anything....She's not winning this election.

those who make less get a higher percentage of their SS contributions in monthly payments and those at the top of SS payers get a lower percentage of their SS contributions in monthly payments.

this is how it has always worked....

so raising the cap DOES HELP shore up the program.

Also, for construction workers or hard labor workers, they can withdraw money from their 401k's / IRA's etc, earlier than the rest of us, without penalty for early withdraw....if due to physical job stress...

This can get them by until SS is avail or...

A similar program can be developed for SS where heavy lifting job workers can retire earlier...

Well then you're creating different categories for different people.

To put it another way, I don't do much in the way of heavy lifting. I'm a truck driver. So the question I have is, do you want to be the person in the car in front of me when I'm 68 years old piloting a 75,000 lbs vehicle when highway traffic comes to a sudden stop?

When I drove buses, one of the other drivers was (when I left) 83. He regularly threaded a 40' MCI or VanHool coach through Boston and NYC...many of our regular groups asked for him by name. His only age-related restriction (aside from wearing glasses) was needing to renew his medical card every six months.

Single payer with government negotiating the costs with the suppliers.
Medicare already is single payer. How would expanding single payer to everybody cut healthcare costs? It would allow the government to dictate what it will pay, but that would cause all kinds of healthcare availability problems. Now, it's available but expensive. Under single payer, there are long wait lists for critical care.
Bullshit. We can fix all that. Single payer clearly is the way to go. All you're doing is bringing up the lame old arguments.

Take out the profit motive. Cap greed.

I wonder how many posters here are aware that incomes over 118K have no FICA deducted.

Once again, the middle class is paying a higher percentage than the wealthy but, hey, don't want to piss off the :lmao: "job creators" :lmao:.
Wait a minute...The ceiling was decided a very long time ago...
If SS were such a great idea, why then did the federal government decide that people with high incomes didn't have to contribute?
Oh and without wealth, there is no business. Period.

We are not looking to raise the retirement age to 70 for those who are 65. We are looking at those who are 35 or younger

Look at the medical improvements since 1980 and then imagine what will be available 35 years from now

With Medicare, it's all about the government giving money to drug companies and rich doctors. We should gradually raise the retirement age, yes. But as far as cutting what Medicare is willing to pay, that would hurt seniors because the greedy doctors and drug companies would stop accepting Medicare. So the only viable thing there is health reform to cut the costs of healthcare paid by all so that what Medicare pays can also go down. Obamacare was supposed to work on that, but because of the toxic Washington environment they rushed out a Democrat only plan rather than working together with Republicans on the healthcare cost issue.

On Social Security, raise the retirement age, and tax benefits to more well off seniors. It's not fair, but there's no alternative. The money seniors put in to social security is gone and the current generation can't sustain the older generation at the current benefit level.

So fixing medicare is much tougher and must be done hand in hand with healthcare reform.

Bottom line: Huckabee, Christie, Bush, everybody had some good ideas. Get together with Democrats and come up with something.

We need to elect somebody who can do that because neither party will win absolute power in 2016.
Wanting is irrelevant. The current system is not sustainable. Changes have to be made. And that means there will be pain and unpleasantness.
Bullshit. Less war spending and raise taxes on the rich and corporations.

You cut them you can raise them back. Hillary will show you.
Oh please. Look, you can buy that nonsense all you like.
Do the math..It won't make a dent. And anyone with any kind of intelligence knows this. And it will never happen....BTW, as a side note. On so called war spending. Look no further than the guy that just extended ( again) the time frame of our presence in Afghanistan.
Google "the donor class"...
There you'll find that the wealthy and the big bad corporations have sidled up to the democrat party. They have all decided that it is financially feasible and wise to curry favor with the democrats by donating to dem candidates and liberal causes. IN turn the democrats offer concessions on regulations, tax breaks and of course waivers for things such as Obamacare.
If you think the lobbyists for the donor class haven't already told both Sanders and Clinton the conditions under which they get those donations, you're nuts. And very naive
Umm, Hillary isn't showing us anything....She's not winning this election.
More of the lame old arguments. I won't even here it. How old are you?

We are not looking to raise the retirement age to 70 for those who are 65. We are looking at those who are 35 or younger

Look at the medical improvements since 1980 and then imagine what will be available 35 years from now
Oh then OK. I'm 44

Actually, they can

70 year olds are on better shape than 60 year olds 30 years ago

Why would they be in better shape today? True, we have more medical advancements, but that just makes you live longer. It doesn't make you in better shape. The body still wears out after so many abuses.

Not only are they in better shape, but medical advances let workers continue much, much longer

Used to be a heart attack forced your retirement...same with cancer

Also.....joints, hips are, easily replaced.

Hmmm. According to Democrats, we are in worse shape today than we've ever been. We have a serious weight problem in this country not to mention bad diets. You know, DumBama forced all those restaurants to post calorie content in every item on the menu which cost restaurants plenty of money.

Well I'll be sure to tell Michelle what you said if I happen to meet her; we are in better shape than ever.
Work till you are 70 fatty
You know a lot of 70 year olds in the job market?

Who are you people? How old are you?

70 vs 67 now?

Medicare already is single payer. How would expanding single payer to everybody cut healthcare costs? It would allow the government to dictate what it will pay, but that would cause all kinds of healthcare availability problems. Now, it's available but expensive. Under single payer, there are long wait lists for critical care.
Bullshit. We can fix all that. Single payer clearly is the way to go. All you're doing is bringing up the lame old arguments.

Take out the profit motive. Cap greed.
Single payer.....Ok, I'll bite....Put it together. Explain in detail how it would work. Mind you, there would be a necessity in putting private insurers out of business. Yes, that is correct. if there is no opt out, there is no need for a private insurance market. And don't give me any nonsense about a "public/private" partnership...The insurers are in business to make real money. Not to take the mere crumbs the government will remind them that it is in the best interest of the insurance industry. They will simply stop writing the policies. And there isn't a damned thing the government can do about it.
Then the administration that tried to ram this thing down our throats would have to answer to the hundreds of thousands of workers who'd lose their jobs as a result of the end of the private insurance industry.
So now its your turn.....How's it going to work? Explain how SP will be funded? Produce the amount of the costs.
And don't go posting links to biased sites spewing biased opinion pieces. That is not data.
And I ask this with a laugh...do you really think insurance companies should operate at a LOSS?....

Not.
Why?
What is it about SS that is sacrosanct with you people?
And don't use that "we paid into it" argument. Because you didn't "pay into" anything. You were taxed. They just call it social Security. If if were an "account" you'd get back your contribution. All of it. Instead the federal government takes YOUR money and after the skim, gives it to someone else who is currently retired. And a person that the bean counters over on K Street hope to see them take a dirt nap. Finally the fucking bureaucrats get to tell us how much of OUR money they think we deserve..
I cannot understand how anyone could actually support this system....

Eliminate welfare first. We paid into those programs, touch them last
What happens when you eliminate welfare? How many millions will starve to death in America? Welfare prevents us from being a third world country.

Please show me where anyone has starved to death in this country.

They haven't since the implementation of those programs you hate so much. Cause/effect.
Circular logic.....You make a conclusion then back it up with an opinion. FAIL

But no pain in the Gold Plated GOVT worker "seperate" pension plan? they get "$10K"/mo for life starting earlier (we get to pay it and shut the hell up with our $1K/mo? I get upset.

I have had government medical care since I was military dependent, on military active duty, and as a VA disability recipient. I have never had an unreasonable waiting period. If the government negotiates reasonable prices, there will be no such problem. Now before you ask me to prove it, you made the statement that there will be long waits for critical care. Prove it.
Reasonable?....Have you seen the reimbursements under the current system? My family doctor left the medical practice because he was getting less than half the percentage reimbursement from medicaid/care patients. And Obamacare just was the sledgehammer that knocked the corner off the building.....So after 30 years of running a family practice, he quit. Sold it....We had to find a new family doc that was in network.
You lefties just live in a fantasy world.

But no pain in the Gold Plated GOVT worker "seperate" pension plan? they get "$10K"/mo for life starting earlier (we get to pay it and shut the hell up with our $1K/mo? I get upset.
I never mentioned federal workers. Who BTW should be taken off the federal system and forced to endure the SS system just like the resat of us.
If it's good enough for the public, it's good enough for those who work for the public.

Forum List

Back