Raise the Minimum Wage

The question is not raising the minimum wage the problem is how much to raise it. I don't object to raising it but I do doubling it to $15.00 a hour.
Why should the government determine in any measure the compensation that a business pays? Whose business is it?

Here s What the Owner of the Oldest Operating McDonald s Has to Say About Minimum Wage - The Wire

I started at a dollar an hour. Poverty is as severe as it was when I was making a dollar an hour. The minimum wage increase, frankly, hasn't reduced our poverty problem.

Do I think it’s fair that people live in poverty? Of course not. But I don’t know how you can say that business is responsible for that."

BINGO
but that was back in a time when people had pride and didn't whine every day about how they just can't make in life.
How lovely now they are buying votes... well good luck until you run of out other people's money to give away

Here s What the Owner of the Oldest Operating McDonald s Has to Say About Minimum Wage - The Wire

I started at a dollar an hour. Poverty is as severe as it was when I was making a dollar an hour. The minimum wage increase, frankly, hasn't reduced our poverty problem.

Do I think it’s fair that people live in poverty? Of course not. But I don’t know how you can say that business is responsible for that."
He doesn't think it's fair that some people are poor? Why not? Did coercion make them poor?

I've been to broke and back many times. (But never to Brokeback Mountain :))

You just deal with shit and do without. Do your best to live within whatever means are at hand. No Liberal ever gave two shits about my financial woes.

He doesn't think it's fair that some people are poor? Why not? Did coercion make them poor?
Is there much poverty in norweg like there is in the U.S.?

Is there much poverty in norweg like there is in the U.S.?
In norweg, we all die penniless. In our minds, that is good timing.

Since it's illegal to buy votes, the next best way is give people a raise. :)

28 million working Americans would benefit. 28 million votes swinging for whoever got them that raise...I'm not a political operative but this doesn't sound very complicated to me.
I'm sure nothing sounds complicated when you pull numbers out of your ass, and think we have a 100% voter turnout rate in this country.

Let's break it down...when you raise the minimum wage, here's what could happen:
A. Unemployment could go up or down or stay the same.
B. Employment could go up or down or stay the same.
C. Prices could go up or down or stay the same.
D Any combination of A, B, and C.

Anyone who tells you that anything for sure will happen is talking out of their ass.
Well,OK...average hourly wages will go up. Average weekly wages could go up, down or stay the same.

If the government really cared about putting more money in people's pockets, they would lower ALL taxes.

The funny thing is that raising the minimum wage would also raise the taxes on that wage. Maybe people would start to realize how much the government is taking from them

The funny thing is that raising the minimum wage would also raise the taxes on that wage. Maybe people would start to realize how much the government is taking from them
Very true. Implementing and increasing a minimum wage is nothing more than a revenue generator for the government.

We may argue the particulars as they relate to employees, businesses, and society all day long, but the one sure beneficiary is the government.

Raising the minimum wage historically has done absolutely nothing to help the poor or raise people out of poverty.

Bullshit. How completely ridiculous!

If it's completely ridiculous bullshit you should certainly have no problem providing evidence to the contrary.

Supporters argue that a higher minimum wage is an effective anti-poverty tool. If businesses must pay their low-wage employees more, then those workers should earn more and fewer of them should live in poverty. Common sense says a higher minimum wage should fight poverty.

The facts, however, show otherwise. Many economists have examined the evidence and come to the surprising conclusion that the minimum wage does not reduce poverty. Ohio University economists Richard Vedder and Lowell Gallaway examined the effect that increases in the minimum wage had on the overall poverty rate in the United States and on the poverty rates for groups like minorities and teenagers that might especially benefit from higher minimum wages.[1] They found that the minimum wage had no statistically detectable effect on poverty rates.

[1] See Richard K. Vedder and Lowell E. Gallaway, "Does the Minimum Wage Reduce Poverty?" Employment Policies Institute, June 2001, at www.epionline.org/studies/vedder_06-2001.pdf(December 28, 2006).

Raising the Minimum Wage Will Not Reduce Poverty

You need evidence? Really? Okay, let's say you get a one week pay check that amounts to $240, or you could get a pay check that amounts to $500 for the week. Which pay check do you think will keep you out of poverty?

Well that was easy. LOL!

No, it doesn't. It hurts the middle class. The only people who get a wage bump when the minimum wage is raised are the people who were making less than the new minimum wage. The rest of us don't get the same increase, but we do pay the higher costs of goods and services as a result of the increase.

Didn't read the link, huh? And to top it off, we get the every ever favorite "but, but prices will go up!" Why not do some research, Historical facts don't back you up at all.
I bet a huge majority of those who don't want to see the Minimum Wage raised would benefit from raising it, via the ripple effect that has happened, every single time. Nothing like shooting yourself in the foot.
Oh and over 70% of the public wants to see the Minimum Wage raised, but fuck them too, your masters have spoken.

Since it's illegal to buy votes, the next best way is give people a raise. :)

28 million working Americans would benefit. 28 million votes swinging for whoever got them that raise...I'm not a political operative but this doesn't sound very complicated to me.
Raise my retirement pay. Raise my SS check. Lower my taxes. Gimme free shit.

[
QUOTE="norwegen, post: 9743517, member: 46569"]Why should the government determine in any measure the compensation that a business pays? Whose business is it?[/QUOTE]

And that's why wage growth has been flat for three decades.
Take a look at historical wages (in Real Dollars) for non-supervisory workers. Productivity has been on a steady rise but not wages. These numbers are based on the Department of Labor who measures wage growth in Real Dollars as do economists, no matter what political stripe.

Attachments

• wages-stagnate-productivity-grows-570x389.png
    wages-stagnate-productivity-grows-570x389.png
    34.8 KB · Views: 94
No, it doesn't. It hurts the middle class. The only people who get a wage bump when the minimum wage is raised are the people who were making less than the new minimum wage. The rest of us don't get the same increase, but we do pay the higher costs of goods and services as a result of the increase.

From my link in my previous post:
"Consider for a moment a wage distribution divided into intervals. If the first were to begin with the actual minimum wage and range to 25 percent above that figure, the second then ranges an additional 25 percent, and so on. Data from 1962-2008 that I gathered shows that when 10 such intervals were created, accounting for up to 70 percent of the labor force, the median wage in each interval increased in years that the minimum wage increased, and in years when it did not increase the median wage in each interval remained the same. The ripple effects from raising the minimum wage were effectively benefiting the middle class."
How Raising the Minimum Wage Would Boost the Middle Class

Whoops!!!!! :2up:

Well, let's do some math:

30 hours a week at $8.00 an hour = $240
16 hours a week at $15.00 an hour = $240

Give everyone their raise, cut their hours, make those who remain work like crazy or else.

Does anyone think this isn't what's going to happen?

Let's just do it and get on with our lives.

[
QUOTE="norwegen, post: 9743517, member: 46569"]Why should the government determine in any measure the compensation that a business pays? Whose business is it?

And that's why wage growth has been flat for three decades.
Take a look at historical wages (in Real Dollars) for non-supervisory workers. Productivity has been on a steady rise but not wages. These numbers are based on the Department of Labor who measures wage growth in Real Dollars as do economists, no matter what political stripe.[/QUOTE]
Wage growth has been flat because the government has been determining the compensation that businesses should pay?

Raising the minimum wage historically has done absolutely nothing to help the poor or raise people out of poverty.

Bullshit. How completely ridiculous!

If it's completely ridiculous bullshit you should certainly have no problem providing evidence to the contrary.

Supporters argue that a higher minimum wage is an effective anti-poverty tool. If businesses must pay their low-wage employees more, then those workers should earn more and fewer of them should live in poverty. Common sense says a higher minimum wage should fight poverty.

The facts, however, show otherwise. Many economists have examined the evidence and come to the surprising conclusion that the minimum wage does not reduce poverty. Ohio University economists Richard Vedder and Lowell Gallaway examined the effect that increases in the minimum wage had on the overall poverty rate in the United States and on the poverty rates for groups like minorities and teenagers that might especially benefit from higher minimum wages.[1] They found that the minimum wage had no statistically detectable effect on poverty rates.

[1] See Richard K. Vedder and Lowell E. Gallaway, "Does the Minimum Wage Reduce Poverty?" Employment Policies Institute, June 2001, at www.epionline.org/studies/vedder_06-2001.pdf(December 28, 2006).

Raising the Minimum Wage Will Not Reduce Poverty

You need evidence? Really? Okay, let's say you get a one week pay check that amounts to $240, or you could get a pay check that amounts to $500 for the week. Which pay check do you think will keep you out of poverty?

Well that was easy. LOL!
Perfect.
Except that isnt the choice. The choice is between a paycheck for 240/week and no paycheck at all because your job got eliminated.
Now which one is going to keep you out of poverty?
That was easy!

Forum List

Back