Rand Paul: Healthcare bill could pass if you split it in two

ScreamingEagle

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2004
"I think if we take this bill and split it into two pieces," Paul said of the healthcare bill. "We pass one that is more ... looks like repeal that conservatives like, and then the other one you load up with all kinds of Christmas ornaments and gifts and money, just pile money on it that the Democrats will vote for, and some of the Republicans will vote for. Then I think both end up passing."

"It may not be completely good for the country, but you at least get the repeal that way," he added.

Rand Paul: Healthcare bill could pass if you split it in two

I hope he runs again. I would love to say "President Rand Paul"

You do realize of course that he's arguing for a trillion dollar tax cut and not reducing the spending.
That can be hashed out in the 'goodies' bill......but we NEED to repeal Obamacare once and for all while we still can....

You do realize of course that he's arguing for a trillion dollar tax cut and not reducing the spending.

I don't have the link but it was on the hill, McConnell I believe agreed to take the 3.8% tax cut for the wealthy out of the bill. The Texas Senator said he wasn't so sure about that. It's still playing out.

Here's a quick rundown of the four key changes Paul is seeking in the bill:

1. Create association health plans: This would allow groups of people to band together and create their own risk pool to access health insurance coverage. The current bill allows self-employed people to sign onto small business plans — Paul wants this expanded.
  2. Reduce spending on "insurance company bail outs": The Senate bill currently includes funding that would help insurers offset costs for low-income Americans in the individual insurance market and a state stability fund that can be used to reduce premiums and expand coverage. Paul said these merely help to grow insurance companies' profits.
  3. Eliminate premium tax credits: The current BCRA would give people making between 100% and 350% of the federal poverty line money to buy insurance. In the letter, Paul asked McConnell "to reconsider the advanced, refundable nature of this entitlement."
  4. Eliminate the continuous coverage requirement: The BCRA includes a provision that says anyone who goes without insurance for more than 63 consecutive days in a year must wait six months in the following year before they can get access to coverage again. Paul said this constituted another version of Obamacare's individual mandate and asked McConnell to "simply allow insurance companies to impose a waiting period."
Politically, however, none of the requests are likely tenable if McConnell wants to get the needed 50 votes to pass the BCRA.

More moderate senators, like Dean Heller of Nevada, Susan Collins of Maine, Shelley Moore Capito of West Virginia, and Rob Portman of Ohio have publicly said they would not support the current iteration of the bill because it goes too far in some of its changes to the current healthcare system. The Medicaid cuts are too deep, and the spending to help people get access to care is not enough, these senators have said.

If McConnell meets Paul's demands, that would likely solidify those four members opposition, killing the bill.

But attempting to pick up the moderate wing also poses a problem. Losing Paul could mean that conservative senators like Mike Lee of Utah, Ted Cruz of Texas, and Ron Johnson of Wisconsin would follow. McConnell can only afford two defections for the bill to pass.

Rand Paul released a list of demands for the Senate healthcare bill, and it shows why it might be impossible to pass

I'm sure he will run again, but he will never win. The politicians tell you what you want to hear. The Pauls tell you what you need to hear.

I'm sure he will run again, but he will never win. The politicians tell you what you want to hear. The Pauls tell you what you need to hear.
He was the most sane guy on that debate stage. In fact, he was the only conservative on that stage, arguably. I dont get it.. :/

I don't have the link but it was on the hill, McConnell I believe agreed to take the 3.8% tax cut for the wealthy out of the bill. The Texas Senator said he wasn't so sure about that. It's still playing out.
Still, the big issue is that the bill is still only a partial repeal of Obamacare and the conservative wing won't vote for it.....thus a split bill might just do the trick.....

Rand Paul is a huge idiot. Just a couple months ago he said he would not vote on a repeal of Obamacare unless there was a prepared replacement for it set to go into effect at the same time. Then he wrote his own bill that was nothing more than allowing people to get end of the year tax credits to cover their health care and the ability to have a non-taxed health care fund. People shit all over it.

Now he is saying that they just need to repeal Obamacare ASAP in order to keep their promise during the campaign, and worry about a replacement later. He's a douche.

Rand Paul is a huge idiot. Just a couple months ago he said he would not vote on a repeal of Obamacare unless there was a prepared replacement for it set to go into effect at the same time. Then he wrote his own bill that was nothing more than allowing people to get end of the year tax credits to cover their health care and the ability to have a non-taxed health care fund. People shit all over it.

Now he is saying that they just need to repeal Obamacare ASAP in order to keep their promise during the campaign, and worry about a replacement later. He's a douche.
I agree with that last position......it was a campaign promise.......repeal Obamacare and move on.....!

Perceived future tax cuts cannot be claimed by the federal government, they do not own the taxes that have been cut.

Forum List

Back