Rand Paul Says Dick Cheney Pushed for the Iraq War So Halliburton Would Profit

Wow..

Last week, continuing the sometimes catty intraparty feud between Republican hawks and GOPers skeptical of foreign intervention, former Vice President Dick Cheney took a shot at Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.). But Paul is not likely to be fazed by criticism from Cheney, for several years ago the Kentucky senator was pushing the conspiratorial notion that the former VP exploited the horrific 9/11 attacks to lead the nation into war in Iraq in order to benefit Halliburton, the enormous military contractor where Cheney had once been CEO.

Speaking at a private Las Vegas gathering of Republican funders and activists on March 29, Cheney blasted what he termed isolationists within the GOP. "One of the things that concerns me first about the [2016] campaign, that I'm worried about," Cheney said, "is what I sense to be an increasing strain of isolationism, if I can put it in those terms, in our own party." He didn't name names, but he didn't have to—at least, in one case. He obviously had Rand Paul in mind. And Cheney, who also approvingly talked about bombing Iran, chided the unmentioned Paul and other less hawkish GOPers for having not learned the supposed lessons of 9/11.
WATCH: Rand Paul Says Dick Cheney Pushed for the Iraq War So Halliburton Would Profit | Mother Jones

This is a huge rebuke of the Bush administration and a line in the sand between the Libertarian and Neo Conservative wings of the Republican Party.

It's also pretty devastating.

That is a lie!
'Mother Jones'? Why would anyone believe anything in that Union rag?

Yes why would anyone believe an actual video of Rand Paul actually saying something?

lol, you guys are funniest when you have a diaper full.

Wow..

Last week, continuing the sometimes catty intraparty feud between Republican hawks and GOPers skeptical of foreign intervention, former Vice President Dick Cheney took a shot at Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.). But Paul is not likely to be fazed by criticism from Cheney, for several years ago the Kentucky senator was pushing the conspiratorial notion that the former VP exploited the horrific 9/11 attacks to lead the nation into war in Iraq in order to benefit Halliburton, the enormous military contractor where Cheney had once been CEO.

Speaking at a private Las Vegas gathering of Republican funders and activists on March 29, Cheney blasted what he termed isolationists within the GOP. "One of the things that concerns me first about the [2016] campaign, that I'm worried about," Cheney said, "is what I sense to be an increasing strain of isolationism, if I can put it in those terms, in our own party." He didn't name names, but he didn't have to—at least, in one case. He obviously had Rand Paul in mind. And Cheney, who also approvingly talked about bombing Iran, chided the unmentioned Paul and other less hawkish GOPers for having not learned the supposed lessons of 9/11.
WATCH: Rand Paul Says Dick Cheney Pushed for the Iraq War So Halliburton Would Profit | Mother Jones

This is a huge rebuke of the Bush administration and a line in the sand between the Libertarian and Neo Conservative wings of the Republican Party.

I would think most people noticed the connection between the war and haliburton's profits.

Wow..

There were probably a half-dozen or more reasons why we went to war with Iraq.

All or most of them being bullshit.

This was merely one of them.

Something that's been generally known by the American Public for some years now.

Old, old, old news.

Resurrected for half-a-second by a GOP splinter-group mouthpiece.

Nothing likely to help save the Dems in November 2014 or November 2016, though.

Next slide, please.

Saving Democrats from what?

Right now, Democrats aren't in a bad position for 2014.

Looks like they will keep the Senate and possibly make some gains in the House.

Republicans are doing a fine job of shooting themselves in the kneecap.

55 votes to repeal ObamaCare and the Ryan budget assure that as well.

And 2016?

Say hello to another President Clinton.

:badgrin:

Wow..

I would think most people noticed the connection between the war and haliburton's profits.

This is a REAL NICE reminder given where it's coming from.. :D

Wow..

It also takes a large measure of imagination to believe...more like libtard wishful thinking...and drawing conclusions that fit your script.

Wow..

That is a lie!

Yes why would anyone believe an actual video of Rand Paul actually saying something?

Lol, how many times are you gonna watch obama lie straight in your face, and believe he is telling the truth. Chaney didn't make sadaam ignore the un resolutions, the reason we went into iraq. With congresses vote and international support. Liberals aren't gonna make obama look good by lying about iraq.

Wow..

I disagree. Just as we've known the Bush dynasty made their money from their friendship with bin Laden and his family, its common knowledge that Cheeeney is a soulless war profiteer. So were the rest of Bush's pals.

Instead of seeing people rise up in protest, they're creaming over Bush's really shitty paintings and actually quoting Donald Rumsfelt.

For some rw's murder and bankruptcy means nothing and they'll go to any length to excuse it - from Republicans while lying about Dems.

I guess we will simply ignore the 4 no-bid contracts given to Halliburton by Clinton in the 90s. I mean, almost makes you think the reason for the Kosovo mess was to award Halliburton.

However, of course if that was the case and that was the reason Clinton awarded no-bid contracts to Halliburton in the 90s when Cheney was VP of that company, that would not mean one thing to the liberals on this board.

Why? Cause Clinton is allowed to do anything he wants, along with any other democrat. Cause none of them talk about morals.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
FrontPage Magazine - The Facts on Halliburton

It is certainly true that during a two year period Halliburton’s revenue from Defense Department contracts doubled. However, that increase in revenue occurred from 1998 to 2000 - during the Clinton administration.

In 1998, Halliburton's total revenue was $14.5 billion, which included $284 million of Pentagon contracts. Two years later, Halliburton’s DoD contracts more than doubled.

Regarding the Iraq contracts, Halliburton was accused by Democrats of receiving special "no-bid" contracts because of Cheney’s influence. One advertisement by the Democrats charged, "Bush gave contracts to Halliburton instead of fighting corporate corruption."

FactCheck.org an organization which ascertains the validity of political campaign advertisements researched this accusation. According to FactCheck, "The Bush administration is doing a fair amount to fight corporate corruption, convicting or indicting executives of Enron, Arthur Andersen, Tyco International, Worldcom, Adelphia Communications Corporation, Credit Suisse First Boston, HealthSouth Corporation and others, including Martha Stewart. The Department of Justice says it has brought charges against 20 executives of Enron alone, and its Corporate Fraud Task Force says it has won convictions of more than 250 persons to date. Bush also signed the Sarbanes-Oxley legislation in 2002, imposing stringent new accounting rules in the wake of the Arthur Andersen scandal."

When Factcheck.org checked the facts about allegations by Democrats that there was a scandal because of the "no-bid" contracts awarded to Halliburton they stated, "It is false to imply that Bush personally awarded a contract to Halliburton. The ‘no-bid contract’ in question is actually an extension of an earlier contract to support U.S. troops overseas that Halliburton won under open bidding. In fact, the notion that Halliburton benefited from any cronyism has been poo-poohed by a Harvard University professor, Steven Kelman, who was administrator of the Office of Federal Procurement Policy in the Clinton administration. ‘One would be hard-pressed to discover anyone with a working knowledge of how federal contracts are awarded...who doesn't regard these allegations as being somewhere between highly improbable and utterly absurd,’ Kelman wrote in the Washington Post last November." (Emphasis added.)

The Center for Public Integrity another public interest group also investigated the purported scandal of the Halliburton "no-bid" contracts. They wrote:

In Iraq, Halliburton subsidiary Kellogg Brown & Root (KBR) has been awarded five contracts worth at least $10.8 billion, including more than $5.6 billion under the U.S. Army's Logistics Civil Augmentation Program (LOGCAP) contract, an omnibus contract that allows the Army to call on KBR for support in all of its field operations. When the Army needs a service performed, it issues a "task order," which lays out specific work requirements under the contract…From 1992 to 1997, KBR held the first LOGCAP contract awarded by the Army, but when it was time to renew the contract, the company lost in the competitive bidding process to DynCorp after the General Accounting Office reported in February 1997 that KBR had overrun its estimated costs in the Balkans by 32 percent (some of which was attributed to an increase in the Army's demands). KBR (obtained) the third LOGCAP contract in December 2001…n November 2002 the Army Corps of Engineers tasked KBR to develop a contingency plan for extinguishing oil well fires in Iraq…[O]n March 24, 2003, the Army Corps announced publicly that KBR had been awarded a contract to restore oil-infrastructure in Iraq, potentially worth $7 billion. The contract KBR received…would eventually include 10 distinct task orders. KBR did not come close to reaching the contract ceiling, billing just over $2.5 billion…The contract was awarded without submission for public bids or congressional notification. In their response to congressional inquiries, Army officials said they determined that extinguishing oil fires fell under the range of services provided under LOGCAP, meaning that KBR could deploy quickly and without additional security clearances.

Neither the Center for Public Integrity nor Factcheck.org determined anything sinister about Halliburton’s no-bid" contracts for the Iraq war. Two nonpartisan, nonaligned, public interest organizations have investigated the Halliburton allegations and found them to be specious allegations made for purely political purposes.

An L.A. Times op-ed of April 22 said, "Halliburton Received No-Bid Contracts During Clinton Administration For Work In Bosnia And Kosovo." An October 2003 article in the (Raleigh, NC) News & Observer quoted Bill Clinton's Undersecretary Of Commerce William Reinsch as saying "'Halliburton has a distinguished track record,' he said. 'They do business in some 120 countries. This is a group of people who know what they're doing in a difficult business. It's a particularly difficult business when people are shooting at you.'"

If Democrats want to investigate a scandal involving Iraq they should devote their efforts to the UN "Oil-for-Food" program instead of Halliburton. However, they will not because Saddam Hussein is not a candidate in this presidential election.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to factcheck and a lot of other sources there was nothing ever found that was sinister about Halliburton and their contracts.

It also shows the various non-bid contracts awarded to Halliburton during the Clinton administration.

Liberals will now spin this, or deny this like the hypocritical, double talking, gasbags they are.

If hypocrisy was stink, every liberal would be the equivalent of a wet fart passing through an onion.

Paul is not intimidated by a has been wreck physically and morally of a human being like Shotgun Dick.

And if the Clinton administration did it as well and Paul can show it, that will help him get the nomination.

Clinton and most of congress supported the Iraq war...Saddam had broken the cess fire.

The nation building was one of the stupidest things this nation has ever done, but the war not so much....

Paul is not intimidated by a has been wreck physically and morally of a human being like Shotgun Dick.

And if the Clinton administration did it as well and Paul can show it, that will help him get the nomination.

If Clinton did it? :badgrin:

It is certainly true that during a two year period Halliburton’s revenue from Defense Department contracts doubled. However, that increase in revenue occurred from 1998 to 2000 - during the Clinton administration.

In 1998, Halliburton's total revenue was $14.5 billion, which included $284 million of Pentagon contracts. Two years later, Halliburton’s DoD contracts more than doubled.

Regarding the Iraq contracts, Halliburton was accused by Democrats of receiving special "no-bid" contracts because of Cheney’s influence. One advertisement by the Democrats charged, "Bush gave contracts to Halliburton instead of fighting corporate corruption."

FactCheck.org an organization which ascertains the validity of political campaign advertisements researched this accusation. According to FactCheck, "The Bush administration is doing a fair amount to fight corporate corruption, convicting or indicting executives of Enron, Arthur Andersen, Tyco International, Worldcom, Adelphia Communications Corporation, Credit Suisse First Boston, HealthSouth Corporation and others, including Martha Stewart. The Department of Justice says it has brought charges against 20 executives of Enron alone, and its Corporate Fraud Task Force says it has won convictions of more than 250 persons to date. Bush also signed the Sarbanes-Oxley legislation in 2002, imposing stringent new accounting rules in the wake of the Arthur Andersen scandal."

When Factcheck.org checked the facts about allegations by Democrats that there was a scandal because of the "no-bid" contracts awarded to Halliburton they stated, "It is false to imply that Bush personally awarded a contract to Halliburton. The ‘no-bid contract’ in question is actually an extension of an earlier contract to support U.S. troops overseas that Halliburton won under open bidding. In fact, the notion that Halliburton benefited from any cronyism has been poo-poohed by a Harvard University professor, Steven Kelman, who was administrator of the Office of Federal Procurement Policy in the Clinton administration. ‘One would be hard-pressed to discover anyone with a working knowledge of how federal contracts are awarded...who doesn't regard these allegations as being somewhere between highly improbable and utterly absurd,’ Kelman wrote in the Washington Post last November." (Emphasis added.)

The Center for Public Integrity another public interest group also investigated the purported scandal of the Halliburton "no-bid" contracts. They wrote:

In Iraq, Halliburton subsidiary Kellogg Brown & Root (KBR) has been awarded five contracts worth at least $10.8 billion, including more than $5.6 billion under the U.S. Army's Logistics Civil Augmentation Program (LOGCAP) contract, an omnibus contract that allows the Army to call on KBR for support in all of its field operations. When the Army needs a service performed, it issues a "task order," which lays out specific work requirements under the contract…From 1992 to 1997, KBR held the first LOGCAP contract awarded by the Army, but when it was time to renew the contract, the company lost in the competitive bidding process to DynCorp after the General Accounting Office reported in February 1997 that KBR had overrun its estimated costs in the Balkans by 32 percent (some of which was attributed to an increase in the Army's demands). KBR (obtained) the third LOGCAP contract in December 2001…n November 2002 the Army Corps of Engineers tasked KBR to develop a contingency plan for extinguishing oil well fires in Iraq…[O]n March 24, 2003, the Army Corps announced publicly that KBR had been awarded a contract to restore oil-infrastructure in Iraq, potentially worth $7 billion. The contract KBR received…would eventually include 10 distinct task orders. KBR did not come close to reaching the contract ceiling, billing just over $2.5 billion…The contract was awarded without submission for public bids or congressional notification. In their response to congressional inquiries, Army officials said they determined that extinguishing oil fires fell under the range of services provided under LOGCAP, meaning that KBR could deploy quickly and without additional security clearances.

Neither the Center for Public Integrity nor Factcheck.org determined anything sinister about Halliburton’s no-bid" contracts for the Iraq war. Two nonpartisan, nonaligned, public interest organizations have investigated the Halliburton allegations and found them to be specious allegations made for purely political purposes.

An L.A. Times op-ed of April 22 said, "Halliburton Received No-Bid Contracts During Clinton Administration For Work In Bosnia And Kosovo." An October 2003 article in the (Raleigh, NC) News & Observer quoted Bill Clinton's Undersecretary Of Commerce William Reinsch as saying "'Halliburton has a distinguished track record,' he said. 'They do business in some 120 countries. This is a group of people who know what they're doing in a difficult business. It's a particularly difficult business when people are shooting at you.'"

If Democrats want to investigate a scandal involving Iraq they should devote their efforts to the UN "Oil-for-Food" program instead of Halliburton. However, they will not because Saddam Hussein is not a candidate in this presidential election.

------------------------------

I just dispatched the liberals on this board. They lose, again.

oh jezze, if these people can't find something to take peoples minds off the horrific things Obama and his comrades have done...lets dig up Boooooooooooooooooooooooosh and now Cheney

they've already jug Reagan claiming he was the start of the down fall of our country...made a Clinton hero of saving us..claimed Bush ruined the WHOLE WORLD and now THE GREAT Obama is another "savior" of us all

Lets all frikken run out vote in these Government expanding progressive/liberal/Democrats who now tells you what size soda cups you should have, foods you should eat, and don't forget they drop on bombs from drones and any frikken country the feel like WITHOUT congress's approval like Bush had for the Iraq war

Last edited:
Clinton and most of congress supported the Iraq war...Saddam had broken the cess fire.

The nation building was one of the stupidest things this nation has ever done, but the war not so much....

Nation building is about logistics. Most amateurs (you for example) always discuss or criticize strategy.

Professionals are always studying logistics. It was thought that another ally could be established in the middle east. We already have several allies, including Turkey, Israel, Saudi Arabia, etc etc.

There is more than one reason why this country has Army bases all over the world. Mainly for rapid troop deployment and a stabilizing presence. Our bases in Japan for example really protects that region and our allies. Like Japan, and South Korea.

If you do not think these logistical realities are important, then you are nothing short of a ignorant putz.

No. There is nothing good that came out of that so-called war. Nothing.

1016931_746472355374632_7841773276329218906_n.jpg

oh jezze, if these people can't find something to take peoples minds off the horrific things Obama and his comrades have done...lets dig up Boooooooooooooooooooooooosh and now Cheney

they've already jug Reagan claiming he was the start of the down fall of our country...made a Clinton hero of saving us and now THE GREAT Obama is another "savior" of us all

Lets all frikken run out vote in these Government expanding progressive/liberal/Democrats who now tells you what size soda cups you should have, foods you should eat, and don't forget they drop on bombs from drones and any frikken country the feel like WITHOUT congress's approval like Bush had for the Iraq war

They could not wait for yet another thing to come out to accuse Bush and Cheney. They are sitting on their little hands, and they hop up like they were sitting on springs waiting for anything. What do they get? The old topic, HALLIBURTON.

Watch Steph, they will either attack my post regarding the facts regarding Halliburton, and they will either deny or attack me for showing the number of non-bid contracts awarded to Halliburton by the Clintons.

They are pathetic.

That is a lie!

Lol, how many times are you gonna watch obama lie straight in your face, and believe he is telling the truth. Chaney didn't make sadaam ignore the un resolutions, the reason we went into iraq. With congresses vote and international support. Liberals aren't gonna make obama look good by lying about iraq.

What UN resolutions?

And who is Chaney?

Last edited:

No. There is nothing good that came out of that so-called war. Nothing.

1016931_746472355374632_7841773276329218906_n.jpg

Go ahead dipshit, ignore my post.

-------------------------------------------------

You are totally destroyed.

What US resolutions?

And who is Chaney?

Go ahead dipshit, ignore my post.

-------------------------------------------------

You are totally destroyed.

Mother Jones. Another liberal mouthpiece. Getting their bashing started early.

They was the one that said the reason we cannot find the wreckage of the Malaysian flight was due to man made global warming.

You know an idiot like Sallow believes that to be true. :badgrin:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back