Rand Paul wins CPAC straw poll

You fringers can tout the nuts like Rand Paul and Ted Cruz all you want, and do all the pretending you want,

but in the end the GOP will nominate another mainstream establishment Republican, who, win or lose,

will do twice as well as any Rand Paul, Ted Cruz, or, who was the guy in third? oh right, lol, Ben Carson, would.

Live with it.

I supported his father, and will not be supporting him. I think you'll find there are many like me. Maybe not a majority, but a good deal nonetheless.
The boy is but a pale reflection of the father, and, from his past public statements, too comfortable with the state.

For example:

"We will isolate Russia if they continue to act like a rogue nation."

https://twitter.com/SenRandPaul/status/442650171177172992
just the sort of thing I was thinking of

If the Republicans ever want to win a presidential election again they better get used to Libertarians like Rand Paul as opposed to the McCains and Huckabees of the party.

I'm what would best be described as a conservative-libertarian, so I'm not a libertarian purist. Neither were the very best of our Founding Fathers. Notwithstanding, I would that the members of the Libertarian Party dissolve the latter and join the Republican Party. Let's stop splitting the vote for liberty and push the pseudo-conservative, right-of-center statists out!

CPAC has tended to draw a younger more libertarian-leaning crowd for the past several years, and that certainly explains why Rand won so comfortably. Whether that translates into votes from older, more traditional Republicans on a national scale remains to be seen. It seems safe to say he'll be far more successful than his father regardless.

Which would be consistent with the reactionary naïveté common among most libertarians.

I supported his father, and will not be supporting him. I think you'll find there are many like me. Maybe not a majority, but a good deal nonetheless.

If your expectation is all or nothing then you can expect to get nothing every time.

I'm what would best be described as a conservative-libertarian, so I'm not a libertarian purist. Neither were the very best of our Founding Fathers. Notwithstanding, I would that the members of the Libertarian Party dissolve the latter and join the Republican Party. Let's stop splitting the vote for liberty and push the pseudo-conservative, right-of-center statists out!

Why would libertarians want to join the Republican Party when you don't represent us and actively tell us to stay out?

CPAC has tended to draw a younger more libertarian-leaning crowd for the past several years, and that certainly explains why Rand won so comfortably. Whether that translates into votes from older, more traditional Republicans on a national scale remains to be seen. It seems safe to say he'll be far more successful than his father regardless.

Which would be consistent with the reactionary naïveté common among most libertarians.

Reactionary? LOL.

Aren't you late for your local communist party meeting, comrade?

If your expectation is all or nothing then you can expect to get nothing every time.

I don't expect all or nothing, but there are some issues I won't compromise on. I linked to a tweet he sent out earlier that any libertarian worth their salt would find highly objectionable, and here's an interesting bit from an interview he did earlier.

EconomicPolicyJournal.com: Rand Paul: My Foreign Policy Is In Line with George Bush the First

I don't recall ever reading about how H.W.'s foreign policy was in any way libertarian, so I don't see what there is to support there.

Reactionary? LOL.

Aren't you late for your local communist party meeting, comrade?

Reactionary is just the buzzword used when none of the others will fit. It has no actual meaning.

Why would libertarians want to join the Republican Party when you don't represent us and actively tell us to stay out?

Whose you? The Republican Party imperfectly represents my political philosophy, but it's the best game changer in town. Let's face it, a vote cast for a Libertarian Party candidate is a wasted vote, one that splits the liberty platform shared by libertarians and conservative constitutionalists. The vast majority of the base of the Republican Party would happily have you so that together we might change the Republican Party and drive the corrupt establishment out.

That's my point.

Instead of splitting the vote, unite it. It's simpler and more effective to do it that way rather than rally around the comparatively paltry apparatus of the Libertarian Party.

That's not a slight against your Party or your ideology. I don't care about party labels in and of themselves. Ideology is what matters. I want to defeat statism.

Tactics!

I don't expect all or nothing, but there are some issues I won't compromise on. I linked to a tweet he sent out earlier that any libertarian worth their salt would find highly objectionable, and here's an interesting bit from an interview he did earlier.

EconomicPolicyJournal.com: Rand Paul: My Foreign Policy Is In Line with George Bush the First

I don't recall ever reading about how H.W.'s foreign policy was in any way libertarian, so I don't see what there is to support there.

Hello, Kevin. May I ask what those issues are relative to your positions?

Thanks.

Forum List

Back